Author Topic: TRO 3145--Federated Suns  (Read 187147 times)

Decoy

• Captain
Re: TRO 3145--Federated Suns
« Reply #330 on: 03 June 2013, 20:28:58 »
Is it just me or does most of the Clan tech have the names of FedSuns manufacturers?
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #331 on: 03 June 2013, 20:36:23 »
The mech designs are varied and interesting. What I did notice is that the FedSuns didn't get an OMG visit from Battle Armor Santa Claus like the CC and DC did.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #332 on: 03 June 2013, 20:37:50 »
The Sortek Assault Craft is now one of favorite hovercraft and it isn't even Capellan.......

Destrier Siege Vehicle is plain scary

CH11-NG Gunsmith Battlemech is awesome, but the engine is........ expensive

LK-3D Antlion, best looking IS Quad, period.....
Quote from: Nanaki
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

Quote from: HABeas2
That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #333 on: 03 June 2013, 20:38:04 »
Just going by what's in the preview PDF, I'd be interested to see if the Foxhunt will be mentioned in Field Manual: 3145.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #334 on: 03 June 2013, 20:44:34 »
So what the heck is the Destrier Siege Vehicle towing?
Realism is not going to cut it, Battletech is not a realistic universe by any stretch of the imagination, so please stop using it in an argument.

That's debatable, but let's face it; some folks gave them a pass because they were big and claimed to be Scottish.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #335 on: 03 June 2013, 20:44:48 »
Templar III did it for me. Love the art and stats. Great work. Love it.

Black Knight is siick good, but heat an XL should keep this in check. Maybe.

Fed Suns got lots o' love... O0

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #336 on: 03 June 2013, 20:45:42 »
I'd argue that these XXLs are being used exactly as they should be: to allow paradigms that are otherwise impossible. Even then, they're for rather niche units. The two upgraded rank-and-file machines - the Centurion (and who the hell ever imagined that it was an omni?) and Templar III (and what is a Templar II, then?) are freaking solid.

All the IIIs are a result of another national pride trick like Victor used a century before.

Previn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #337 on: 03 June 2013, 20:47:07 »
I'm pretty meh on most of it, but I do love the Antlion. Nice to see mortars getting some love.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #338 on: 03 June 2013, 20:47:17 »
So what the heck is the Destrier Siege Vehicle towing?

The Ballista trailer in the RS section.

bblaney

• Lieutenant
« Reply #339 on: 03 June 2013, 20:49:26 »
The Ballista trailer in the RS section.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #340 on: 03 June 2013, 20:49:40 »
  I'd be curious to see full specs on these 'Re-engineered lasers', myself, because I'm not sure I'm seeing any up-side to them at the moment.  Two crits, 2.5 tons, 7 heat, and only 3/6/9 range?  That's a lot of compromises for the sake of a one-point increase in damage; unless they have advantages that haven't been revealed yet, I'd think you'd be better off mounting pairs of AoW-style MLs....  :-\

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #341 on: 03 June 2013, 20:49:53 »
The Destrier!  :o

So this is what love feels like...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #342 on: 03 June 2013, 20:50:46 »
The mech designs are varied and interesting. What I did notice is that the FedSuns didn't get an OMG visit from Battle Armor Santa Claus like the CC and DC did.

See Hauberk and Grenadier.  TRO3075 :P

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #343 on: 03 June 2013, 20:52:36 »
I'd argue that these XXLs are being used exactly as they should be: to allow paradigms that are otherwise impossible. Even then, they're for rather niche units. The two upgraded rank-and-file machines - the Centurion (and who the hell ever imagined that it was an omni?) and Templar III (and what is a Templar II, then?) are freaking solid.

my bet:

Templar I: The original FCCW Era Templar
Templar II: The rebuilt templar line after it was destroyed
Templar III: What we got here.

Also, I'll note that the difference between the I and II might just be cosmetic. It might not even be called II, afterall we get the Enforcer, the upgraded 3050 enforcer isn't called II, but then we get an Enforcer III.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #344 on: 03 June 2013, 20:53:09 »
See Hauberk and Grenadier.  TRO3075 :P

Yeah, no need.... what they got was solid enough.

Previn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #345 on: 03 June 2013, 20:53:31 »
  I'd be curious to see full specs on these 'Re-engineered lasers', myself, because I'm not sure I'm seeing any up-side to them at the moment.  Two crits, 2.5 tons, 7 heat, and only 3/6/9 range?  That's a lot of compromises for the sake of a one-point increase in damage; unless they have advantages that haven't been revealed yet, I'd think you'd be better off mounting pairs of AoW-style MLs....  :-\

The text says they offer advantages against reflective armor, so I'm guessing they ignore it as well as doing 6 damage. This may not seem like much for timelines before 3145, but reflective armor is actually used a fair amount so far in 3145.

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #346 on: 03 June 2013, 20:55:15 »
 So, my one-word exclamation for this TRO would be...What? There are some very good designs, but overall the TRO confuse me a lot on the in-universe choices the manufacterers and the AFFS quatermasters did.
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #347 on: 03 June 2013, 20:55:43 »
Found the reason for the Federated Suns has recently failed...

1st) spending money on XXL Engines

2nd) spending money on Clan tech on Mechs with XXL Engines

Interesting notes

Re-engineered lasers??

Radical Heat Sink systems??

Impressions first flick through - some interesting looking units but disappointed to see the XXLs being so prevalent interesting new tech

Nice new Omnis - Zibler - awesome, Centurion about time and takes all the DA variants into one, Templar III nice upgrade

Artwork is top notch throughout - don't like a couple but they all look awesome

EDIT: The K2 Atlas III in the back is just nasty now that is a proper Atlas III

Since when has money been a hindrance for fedrats?

Daishi411

• Captain
« Reply #348 on: 03 June 2013, 21:03:25 »
And the the DA centurion shows up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy right now, that was my fav DA design when I first got into the universe via clix!
"Warriors, not war machines, are the backbone of the Hell's Horses. While others worship the BattleMech as the ultimate weapon, the men and women of this Clan see even this awesome piece of technology as the tool it is. We have held to this philosophy since the days of our first Khan, who knew that the value of the common soldier far outstripped the brute force of the BattleMech. It is one reason our Clan possesses fewer mechs than most, and has led many to underestimate our fierceness and courage. Our survival against all challengers when others have fallen proves the folly of such arrogance, and testifies to the wisdom of our founders."
- saKhan Tanya Delaurel
Star Captain Logan Cobb-666th Assault War Cluster, Star Commander Octavian-The Thunder Heart Cluster

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #349 on: 03 June 2013, 21:07:37 »
Well, with the focus on defense, it makes more sense to operate with a smaller and better equipped force. So, that could be why we're seeing a larger number of higher tech in this TRO. Whether that translates to overall smaller army or not, distributed via LCTs, remains to be seen in FM3145.

I like the art here better than in the previous two TRs. They're my kinda 'Mechs... uhh, don't tell the ISF.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #350 on: 03 June 2013, 21:12:34 »
*Downloads*
*Sees Black Knight*
 :o
IWM. Fan Cast. This mini. Tell me when to arm my money Catapults at you.
I'm making a pirate force, this thing will be the spearhead of the lance.
Dear sweet merciful evil dice I don't know where to even start.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #351 on: 03 June 2013, 21:14:51 »

As Jellico and Savage Coyote pointed towards, the AFFS already have a solid battle armor repetoire, so you're going to see more flavor pieces and/or niche units to fill the remaining gaps rather than modern replacements for existing units.

The AFFS lacked a heavily armored anvil and that's where the Fusilier stomps in, while the Sea Fox provides the Suns with a capability effectively unique among the Inner Sphere Houses. Of course, the Sea Fox is very much a niche unit, just like the Undine, but in some games it can be a major player. From what I recall talking with jymset - and I'm tired from 11 hours at work, so I'm sorry but I'm a little hazy here - the PAB fulfils the hints given in earlier publications, plus it's a nice flavor piece (I can't ever really take PA(L)s seriously lol).

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #352 on: 03 June 2013, 21:16:27 »
there are a lot of appearances I do not care for in this book. Mind you, I think the art is well executed, I just don't like the appearance of some of the mechs. it feels like "TRO 3145: weird heads" to me.

I love the Centurion stats-wise, but it looks NOTHING like a centurion ought to. which is a failling of the darkage mech figure, not the artist's rendition.

the Vulpes and Gunsmith are just too rounded for my tastes.

I love the Templar III though!
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #353 on: 03 June 2013, 21:33:46 »
Art wise, this is the best 3145 TRO yet.  O0

Stat wise, Kurita got better toys.  [rockon]
I have spoken.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #354 on: 03 June 2013, 21:41:32 »
What's the load out on the Atlas?

Aleksandr

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #355 on: 03 June 2013, 21:43:47 »
That Gunsmith looks awesome. If it were an Omnimech, I'd say it completely surpasses the Fire Moth.

“These will be dark days, when Wolves prowl across Terra.” - Jonathon Cameron

Signature bar by HikageMaru

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #356 on: 03 June 2013, 21:45:09 »
What's the load out on the Atlas?

fancy heatsinks, streak lrm and srms, xpulse lasers and RAC/2.

Or you can go for the -D2 variant, which trades in the fancy heatsinks and RAC/2 for a HAG/30 and tcomp.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #357 on: 03 June 2013, 21:46:08 »
Just going by what's in the preview PDF, I'd be interested to see if the Foxhunt will be mentioned in Field Manual: 3145.

I do not like the sound of this hunt. Additionally, The Sea Fox and the Vulpes are Federated Designs that we had nothing to do with!?!?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #358 on: 03 June 2013, 21:46:46 »
fancy heatsinks, streak lrm and srms, xpulse lasers and RAC/2.

Or you can go for the -D2 variant, which trades in the fancy heatsinks and RAC/2 for a HAG/30 and tcomp.

You forgot the Small Shields on the RAC/2 variant..
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #359 on: 03 June 2013, 21:47:46 »
Art wise, this is the best 3145 TRO yet.  O0

David White ran the whole book. Surprising. The others are done by multiple artists
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Register