Author Topic: TRO 3145--Federated Suns  (Read 188518 times)

Martius

• Captain
Re: TRO 3145--Federated Suns
« Reply #990 on: 07 June 2013, 14:23:51 »
I really enjoyed this TRO, and I thought I wouldn't.  I feel like this TRO fleshes out the depth of the modern AFFS in a way they weren't in the past.  New doctrines besides "put long ranged guns on it" are emerging.  The BA is very interesting, especially given the high watermark set by the Grenadier.  It's almost as if the AFFS took time to do things interesting for a change, instead of just awesome.

As I see it they have the basics covered already and now can get a few specialized designs like a Sea Fox or the Pab. The Fusilier is the brick to compete with Kanazuchis or Ravagers.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #991 on: 07 June 2013, 14:25:40 »
The reflective armor on the Fusilier surprised me.  Especially since the Zou in DC is basically a weird matchup for the FWL Kopis.

The artwork is also impressive.  The Gun Smith is as nice looking as it is a good design.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #992 on: 07 June 2013, 14:28:17 »
About the Fusilier...

As we learned in the TRO:Kurita thread, don't forget the reflective armor comes without its horrible drawbacks when mounted on battle armor.  All gain, no pain!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #993 on: 07 June 2013, 14:36:34 »
Ok, let's bring it back.

I really enjoyed this TRO, and I thought I wouldn't.  I feel like this TRO fleshes out the depth of the modern AFFS in a way they weren't in the past.  New doctrines besides "put long ranged guns on it" are emerging.  The BA is very interesting, especially given the high watermark set by the Grenadier.  It's almost as if the AFFS took time to do things interesting for a change, instead of just awesome.

"Interesting"! That is the word that I never want to hear coming from a girl on a date. Great the Suns is now in the same level of hell as my love life; it's doomed.

Honestly, there is plenty of awesome in the book with a lot of bonehead ideas as well coming from the Capellan March. Taking Victoria really made them think that they were invincible with their ideas such as the Hanse MBT which can be awesome if you know how to use it which is basically drive straight at the enemy then turn with supercharger. And then repeat. The problem is apparently the Warrior's Hall graduates didn't know how to use them without turrets.

Though an interesting thing (and not the way that girls talk about a guy that they are being nice to) is that Kallon Industries probably took over the Earthwerks factory on Victoria(CC) according to the Paladin write-up. We know that Earthwerks facilities on Tikonov were under Earthwerks under the Republic from materials from MWDA that presented in universe advertisements. So, there might be little trust between the Suns and Earthwerks.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #994 on: 07 June 2013, 14:39:40 »
I actually meant interesting as a compliment.  Granted, it is wrapped around the reality that most of this TRO's stuff is sub optimal.  But dare I say, it has me interested in playing.... AFFS.

Or at least playing against them.  I could not say that before.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #995 on: 07 June 2013, 16:36:44 »
I actually meant interesting as a compliment.  Granted, it is wrapped around the reality that most of this TRO's stuff is sub optimal.  But dare I say, it has me interested in playing.... AFFS.

Or at least playing against them.  I could not say that before.

Zibler is built on Terra for you. For at least as long as you can keep Terra from the Wolves.  :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #996 on: 07 June 2013, 17:45:25 »
I finally looked more in-depth over the variant's and I definitely am liking the D3 Hollander III.  }:)

Tar-Comp, ER-PPC, supporting laser battery, Angel ECM and an increased speed of 6-9(12)....yes, I like it alot.   8)

Also, did anyone else wonder why the Black Knight never got a variant with a sword or hatchet? It already has the shield installed...oh well, guess that what customs are for.
Made by HikageMaru

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #997 on: 07 June 2013, 17:47:14 »
There is a Black Knight with a hatchet in the Tukayyid sourcebook.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #998 on: 07 June 2013, 17:54:39 »
Also, did anyone else wonder why the Black Knight never got a variant with a sword or hatchet? It already has the shield installed...oh well, guess that what customs are for.

The first reaction to that loadout would be a collective "Banzai!" over the open comms channel and every wannabe Samurai charging straight at the BK.
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #999 on: 07 June 2013, 18:18:01 »
Exactly, I call it baiting the trap but you can call it whatever you want.  >:D
Made by HikageMaru

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #1000 on: 07 June 2013, 18:20:44 »
There is a Black Knight with a hatchet in the Tukayyid sourcebook.

I remember that one awhile back, you are correct but I guess you could consider this Black Knight to be the Black Knight II instead of the I with all of its star league, and 3050+ variants. Considering the naming of the Hollander and Templar I am surprised the BK didn't get something as well...we Davions do like our numbers.
Made by HikageMaru

Flaresnake

• Master Sergeant
  • The Star League is Eternal
« Reply #1001 on: 07 June 2013, 18:37:16 »
As I see it they have the basics covered already and now can get a few specialized designs like a Sea Fox or the Pab. The Fusilier is the brick to compete with Kanazuchis or Ravagers.

isn't that what the Grenadier and Hauberk are for?
"I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent—usually from warriors."-Carth Onasi

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #1002 on: 07 June 2013, 18:43:18 »
isn't that what the Grenadier and Hauberk are for?

Considering the low armor on both of those suits, I would have to say no, not really. I always saw both of those as offense first, defense second kinda designs.
Made by HikageMaru

Flaresnake

• Master Sergeant
  • The Star League is Eternal
« Reply #1003 on: 07 June 2013, 19:11:45 »
didn't think of that [metalhealth]
"I'm not a warrior, I'm a soldier. There's a difference. Warriors attack and conquer, they prey on the weak. Soldiers defend and protect the innocent—usually from warriors."-Carth Onasi

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #1004 on: 07 June 2013, 19:13:14 »
It's all good.  O0

Off hand, I wouldn't know the strengths and weaknesses of many faction units that aren't my own.
Made by HikageMaru

Hussar2

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1005 on: 08 June 2013, 01:14:09 »
I seem to recall that there was some foreshadowing in an earlier product about what would become the PAB 28. Can someone remind me where it's from?

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #1006 on: 08 June 2013, 03:37:54 »
The Military Hardware the FedSun have are mostly excellent, hoever, the changes they did to their Military structure has had the most grave consequenses.
IMHO especially the LCTs are a failure. And they they seemingly are not capable to adapt to the new situation post-Grey Monday..
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1007 on: 08 June 2013, 04:04:34 »
The Military Hardware the FedSun have are mostly excellent, hoever, the changes they did to their Military structure has had the most grave consequenses.
IMHO especially the LCTs are a failure. And they they seemingly are not capable to adapt to the new situation post-Grey Monday..

LCTs were a good concept: Units that they knew they could move to where they needed to go. Where they ran into the
problem is that, with HPGs down, they cannot easily know where they need to send those LCTs in time fo rhtem to do any
good. Even with black boxes, it could take a few days for the word to reach the right people, then a few days to coordinate
the jumps, then a couple days to make the jumps(as they have to jump, then switch jumpships to jump again). By that time,
a planet could already have more or less fallen, or the Confederation or Combine could have reinforcements arriving and ready.
With the HPGs down, frankly, the universe favors an attacker more then it favors a defender right now. Davion's Castle Doctrine
is, in practice, similar to the Confederation's Elastic Defense doctrine, and is proving to be as effective at dealing with multiple
waves of attacks..
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1008 on: 08 June 2013, 04:59:22 »
FYI... the CCAF Elastic Defense Strategy was designed for the 3rd SW and it worked very well. Hanse Davion planned the 4th SW specifically to defeat the Elastic Defense and he had to strip the Fed Suns to do it.

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1009 on: 08 June 2013, 06:31:27 »
With the HPGs down, frankly, the universe favors an attacker more then it favors a defender right now.

I thought that was the intention? The blackout created a situation where it's very easy to attack, difficult to defend, and there's this sort of piranha feeding frenzy going in while the states that got off the mark first (in this case, the Falcons, Wolves, Capellans, and Combine; the Lyrans also got off quickly but rapidly faceplanted) brutally savage everyone else (particularly the Republic, Lyrans, and Suns).

It will be interesting to see what happens when the network goes back up.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1010 on: 08 June 2013, 06:35:37 »
FYI... the CCAF Elastic Defense Strategy was designed for the 3rd SW and it worked very well. Hanse Davion planned the 4th SW specifically to defeat the Elastic Defense and he had to strip the Fed Suns to do it.

It also relied on battalion sized garrisons, splitting regiments between two or more locations for maximum coverage.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #1011 on: 08 June 2013, 06:46:16 »
Got to ask. The Prey Seeker - what on earth is a medium re-engineered laser? Any different stats to a medium laser in terms of damage/range etch other than being bulky and heavy?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Adam Vagus

• Master Sergeant
  • Wearing my tightest pants, because it's midnite!
« Reply #1012 on: 08 June 2013, 06:50:01 »
IIRC, it ignores the effects of reflective armor.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1013 on: 08 June 2013, 06:54:04 »
Ahh okay, where can I find info on it?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #1014 on: 08 June 2013, 07:23:22 »
Ahh okay, where can I find info on it?

Information on Re-Engineered Lasers and other new technologies throughout the 3145 TROs will show up in Field Manual: 3145
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1015 on: 08 June 2013, 08:11:32 »
Information on Re-Engineered Lasers and other new technologies throughout the 3145 TROs will show up in Field Manual: 3145

Ah hah lovely! :)

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #1016 on: 08 June 2013, 08:18:08 »
It also relied on battalion sized garrisons, splitting regiments between two or more locations for maximum coverage.

Not to mention it pretty much involved Pavel Ridzik doing his best to concentrate any power he could in his own hands.
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1017 on: 08 June 2013, 08:24:05 »
It will be interesting to see what happens when IFthe network goes back up.

Fixed that for you.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

disgruntled

• Private
« Reply #1018 on: 08 June 2013, 08:30:41 »

The weapon stats at least are on the record sheets at the end.  Not sure about any other special rules though.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1019 on: 08 June 2013, 08:33:48 »
Not to mention it pretty much involved Pavel Ridzik doing his best to concentrate any power he could in his own hands.

I think that that had anything to do with elastic defense doctrine, just typical power-jockeying.  See: March Lords, District Warlords, House Cameron-Jones

Register