Author Topic: TRO 3145--Federated Suns  (Read 187153 times)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
Re: TRO 3145--Federated Suns
« Reply #1110 on: 14 June 2013, 18:11:46 »
I have it from the 3rd cousin of a trueborn Sea Fox Cook's Assistant that the Avalon in question is quietly serving as an orbital doner kebab stand around a moon of Dorpat.

....but don't quote me.  [stupid]

Had to be done.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1111 on: 15 June 2013, 22:21:21 »
Interesting stuff.  A lot of good niche units, some good solid troopers, but little if anything overpowering, thankfully.  I didn't like the proliferation of XXLs and reflective armor, and don't get the odd design choices like shields and re-engineered lasers, but that's fine.  Odd to see that many RAC-2s, at least relative to the much more useful RAC-5.  I quite liked the Centurion-O and Templar III, Sniper BA, and some of the vehicles.  I want to like the new Black Knight, it's certainly dead sexy, but, but....Black Knights go 4/6. :'(  The Atlas III also looks good but is under gunned.  I blame the shields and RAC-2, as you might expect from my previous comments.  lol
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1112 on: 15 June 2013, 22:32:19 »
Yeah, if you want the Big Bam Boom, you play the AS7-D2.  HAG 30 and Streak LRM 20 make a nice long range hello, and the Streak 6 and twin med X-Pulse lasers make for a nice goodbye kiss.  Between the Streak and TC, it is all very accurate.

The AS7-D3 is a "keep the commander alive" 'Mech.  I have used it as the CO's mech, with the D2 as a bodyguard. 

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #1113 on: 15 June 2013, 22:38:57 »
Yeah, if you want the Big Bam Boom, you play the AS7-D2.  HAG 30 and Streak LRM 20 make a nice long range hello, and the Streak 6 and twin med X-Pulse lasers make for a nice goodbye kiss.  Between the Streak and TC, it is all very accurate.

The AS7-D3 is a "keep the commander alive" 'Mech.  I have used it as the CO's mech, with the D2 as a bodyguard. 

The D3 is mentioned as a command mech for Davion an RAF units. And it fits that role well I think.
Pretty damn keen to try one out!

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1114 on: 15 June 2013, 22:41:12 »
How did the Tenshi perform, GreekFire?

Well...it's hard to say. Its firepower was ineffective against the Black Knight, and by the time the Atlas III was a valid target it was under the guns of the Black Knight, Atlas III and Gunsmith. PSRs quickly dropped it to the ground (twice) before I critted it out.

One thing I did notice was that the Prime config was completely and wholely unable to deal with the Gunsmith (and later, the Atlas). All of its weapons have minimums, and the 'Mech has no hand actuators either. It crumbled once the brawl-stage started.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1115 on: 15 June 2013, 23:00:53 »
Oh, and one more thing; I like the tricolor BoG scheme.  The blue-and-pinstripe scheme, not so much.  But I've always understood that they both coexisted in canon, so I'm going to assume there's still units using it.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1116 on: 15 June 2013, 23:07:44 »
The D3 is mentioned as a command mech for Davion an RAF units. And it fits that role well I think.
Pretty damn keen to try one out!

As we don't have stats on the Radical Cooling System, we tossed in three coolant pods as a stopgap. 

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #1117 on: 16 June 2013, 04:14:30 »
Atlas III, Black Knight, 2x Vulpes vs 2x Tenshi, 2x Hitotsune-Kozo

Used the Black Knight as sacrificial unit posted a little ahead of the rest (thanks to the shield the whole Kurita lance was effectively shooting 4x10 point weapons) while I pummelled the closer Tenshi.

Kurita player realises he is loosing long range grind and sends the Hito..etc. charging in one aims to finish the black knight (lots of short range fire followed by kicking and axing) the other goes for the atlas but finds itself in a pocket as the atlas has stepped back a bit and both Vulpes have stepped up a bit (lots and lots of fire followed by dead Hito ...etc.) meanwhile both Tenshi have moved closer and are shooting up one of the Vulpes.

Black Knight finally goes down to the second Hito ...etc.

Undamaged Vulpes sweeps in behind the second Hito ...etc. and shoots it in the back  till it fails PSR while the damaged Vulpes goes stealth while bobing and weaving in front of the pair of Tenshi and the atlas shoots at the damaged Tenshi.

Atlas finishes the second Hito ...etc both Vulpes take out the damaged Tenshi the damaged Vulpes dies in the process.

Atlas and Vulpes take out the last Tensshi both are damaged but functional.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1118 on: 16 June 2013, 10:14:19 »
Sounds like a rought fight, Wolflord.

So would you judge that the Tenchi's live up to their fluff?  I got impression from it and stats they're were rough customers.

I wasn't as impressed with Atlas III's payload but its construction (non-weapons) seem to be pretty solid.  Vulpres look finely tuned and running hot killing machines.

"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #1119 on: 16 June 2013, 12:32:02 »
Tenshi's were tough I think I got a little lucky with my opponents target selection but the Black knights shield was huge almost like it was designed to be the counter to a Tenshi prime. The atlas put out some hurt and acted as a fire magnet once the black knight had gone down. Once the Vulpes got up the flanks I knew they were going to do some real harm with RACs in the back. Could have been very different if the Hito ... Etc had gone Vulpes hunting or maybe if my opponent had concentrated on the atlas (smaller shields, slower, no stealth armour compared to other elements of the lance) first.  Would love to try a lance of 4x Black Knight, are there rules for forming a Shieldwall anywhere  ;)

Gotta go the same Fedsuns lance is currently having its head served up on a plate by 4x Savage Wolf.

Coldwyn

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1120 on: 16 June 2013, 12:38:07 »
I´ve read some DC vs FS fights so far. Has nobody done a CC vs FS?
it´s not necessarily that i´m immoral of character, i just don´t take great stock in the morality of others, that´s all

Wolflord

• Major
« Reply #1121 on: 16 June 2013, 13:17:13 »
Thinking about the Atlas III armament if the engineering could be done I think I'd rather have a second SLRM20 than the RAC2.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #1122 on: 16 June 2013, 14:02:55 »

I just downloaded the CC TRO ( as well as the DC and Merc books and ISP3. Thank you origins 13 coupon!) so we will probably play some later, after studying for finals and Father's Day stuff.  My daughter bought me a steak for the new grill. 

five_corparty

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1123 on: 16 June 2013, 21:01:23 »
loving this.  Especially the Zibler, but (like many others) thought the Atlas looked undergunned, but sounds like it's actually quite the scrapper.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1124 on: 16 June 2013, 21:56:21 »

I just watched one.

The Feddie took an Atlas III, a Templar III, a Black Knight and a Vulpes. The Cappie took...a lot of stuff. Something like 2 Guns, 2 Agroteras, 2 Anubis', a Tian Zong and a Lu Wei Bing. 2 maps (broken-hills-of-some-sort-with-a-number-after-the-name).

So...the FedSun player had units that could take and dish out a lot of damage, while the Capellan player had a ton of highly-maneuverable stuff. The Guns died within seconds to the highly-accurate laser fire coming their way (the 20-tonners had the easiest to-hit numbers, haha). The Agroteras jumped forward to fish for backstabs, the Lu Wei started moving towards the (somewhat) isolated Templar, and the Tian-Zong and Anubis' hung back to snipe at the Atlas and Black Knight.

Welp. The Agroteras ended up completely wrecking the Templar III within seconds with a double-backstab of pain and misery (woo double alpha in rear -> no rear armor -> failed PSR -> double crit on that heavy duty gyro -> help i've fallen and i can't get up -> we gonna het a little place, lenny),

After that mess the Lu Wei Bing shifted over towards the Black Knight/Atlas combo, with the Anubis' and Tian-Zong offering support fire. The Lu Wei used cover to close with the two 'Mechs before jumping into point-blank range and unleashing an alpha into the Black Knight. The shield of the Black Knight was completely wrecked, letting the 3 snipers pour fire into it, but the Lu Wei died within a few turns to the combined firepower of the Heavy and Assault. It took the Knight down with it.

While the Lu Wei was doing it's whole "last stand sparta etc" thing, the two Anubis' were sniped one by one by the Vulpes. After that, it charged into close range with the Tian-Zong where it absolutely wrecked face. The Tian-Zong had minimums all over the place and was way too slow to escape, while the Vulpes started RACing away and jamming Clan-tech where Clan-tech shouldn't be. It wasn't even close.

After that the Agros tried to isolate the Vulpes, but the Vulpes stealth'd up again and MASCed over to the Atlas. The game was called; both players felt like it'd become a drawn-out initiative war that'd take forever.

Excellent showing from the Vulpes; super-hard to hit at range, but no minimums, enough firepower and a chunk of armor to let it close in and throw a party or two. The Agrotera feels like a new-gen Phoenix Hawk (unlike that Phoenix Hawk-L nonsense trotting around the Drac border).

All in all, a fun game. I wonder how it would have gone in way-open terrain.

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #1125 on: 16 June 2013, 22:07:25 »
The Cappie plzyer definitely used the Gùns wrong. I bet they were the HPPC variant too. In that type of battle the Gùns shouldnt have been out there if they werent dropping off BA to harrass the Fed Suns units, they're just too fragile.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1126 on: 16 June 2013, 22:13:42 »
It doesn't seem like a real CCAF Army without BA, Arty and Armor.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #1127 on: 17 June 2013, 00:01:30 »
Same could be said for the AFFS.

Just about everyone is going combined arms nowadays(or maybe just mentioned more in canon now)....which I like.  }:)
Made by HikageMaru

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #1128 on: 17 June 2013, 00:58:17 »
The Cappie plzyer definitely used the Gùns wrong. I bet they were the HPPC variant too. In that type of battle the Gùns shouldnt have been out there if they werent dropping off BA to harrass the Fed Suns units, they're just too fragile.

Or the FS player used his Vulpes right.  :)
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Aldous

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1129 on: 17 June 2013, 01:50:43 »
Guns are never intended for this kind of fight.

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1130 on: 17 June 2013, 01:56:03 »
Guns are never intended for this kind of fight.

Sure they are! just use them like faster UM-R60's!
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #1131 on: 17 June 2013, 02:16:34 »
Sure they are! just use them like faster UM-R60's!

"faster" and "Urbie" should never be in the same sentence.  Unless it's "Well, it's faster than an Urbie."

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #1132 on: 17 June 2013, 03:01:28 »
"faster" and "Urbie" should never be in the same sentence.  Unless it's "Well, it's faster than an Urbie."

Consider that the HPPC Gun probably has as much armor + Internal structure combined as the UM-R60L(I forgot
the L at the end in the first post)....
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1133 on: 17 June 2013, 11:38:13 »
Or when describing the Urbie IIC.  Clantech; so good it even makes the Urbanmech faster.
Sunrise is Coming.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1134 on: 17 June 2013, 11:45:17 »
I thought the Gun omni was just a battle taxi for Capellan BA, and then it served as the big boy on the battlearmor battlefield.

As far as mech on mech, I wouldn't want to take one against nearly any current FedSuns light mech. Just too slow with armor that is too weak.

If those two Guns had two squads of Amazons and then melted away for the beginning of the battle, only to come back later when things were weaker, I think it would have gone better for the CCAF.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1135 on: 17 June 2013, 12:14:33 »
Yeah, the Guns were taken as cannon fodder more than anything. They died perfectly. I think one of them landed a HPPC shot before getting blasted apart by a stray small laser or something.

Any suggestions for a nice combined arms FedSuns vs Cappie fight? 'Bout company size?

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #1136 on: 17 June 2013, 14:13:08 »
Welp. The Agroteras ended up completely wrecking the Templar III within seconds with a double-backstab of pain and misery (woo double alpha in rear -> no rear armor -> failed PSR -> double crit on that heavy duty gyro -> help i've fallen and i can't get up -> we gonna het a little place, lenny),

Um, wouldn't the whole point of having a HD gyro have been that yes, you can still get up even after a double crit? (Not easily, mind, but not harder than a standard-gyro 'Mech after the first hit either.)

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #1137 on: 18 June 2013, 09:59:37 »
Any suggestions for a nice combined arms FedSuns vs Cappie fight? 'Bout company size?

MadCapellan is one of the resident CCAF experts, he might have some good ideas on a company sized engagement! Is your goal to try out the 3145 toys or just a good tussle?

Youngblood

• Captain
  • metalmans no longer dumpy or metal, can't touch
« Reply #1138 on: 18 June 2013, 11:25:57 »
Eight 'Mechs and four tanks/VTOLs, or four squads of infantry with APCs, or four squads of BA with APCs.  If you want to make four 'Mechs heavier, you can drop down four other 'Mechs to tanks/VTOLs/infantry squads too.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1139 on: 18 June 2013, 12:32:35 »
Um, wouldn't the whole point of having a HD gyro have been that yes, you can still get up even after a double crit? (Not easily, mind, but not harder than a standard-gyro 'Mech after the first hit either.)

Yeah...the heavy-duty gyro encouraged the FedSuns player to give it a try. Didn't work out, pilot got bonked out.

MadCapellan is one of the resident CCAF experts, he might have some good ideas on a company sized engagement! Is your goal to try out the 3145 toys or just a good tussle?

Mostly 3145 toys, but I think I can convince my buds to include some 3085 and Prototype gear as well.

Unrelated question: I'm trying to make every one of these new units for Megamek, and I'm not sure if loading reflective armor on BA units is doable yet. Anyone know how (if possible) to do it?

Register