Author Topic: Fighter Drop Tanks  (Read 8359 times)

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Fighter Drop Tanks
« on: 26 January 2011, 10:57:03 »
I know fighters can carry 0.5 tons of fuel on hard point mounts, but which TW/TM/TO/SO book and page is that covered in? I can't find the rule anywhere (other than AT2R).
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
Re: Fighter Drop Tanks
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 12:23:07 »
StratOps, page 35. "External Fuel Tanks" is the name of the section.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Highball

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 26 January 2011, 20:35:46 »
I needed that info also .... thanks!
Marshal Russell Trest Oberlan. "War to the sword ..... the sword to the hilt!"

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 08:17:11 »
Ah, thank you. I was looking all over for those.

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2011, 14:17:45 »
Ah, thank you. I was looking all over for those.

Now the scary thing is, didn't you write that section? Or did I? Cause I forgot it was there as well.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2011, 14:50:22 »
Sooo, here's a thought, but if you can have 1/2 ton external pods,  why can't we assign fuel in 1/2 ton allotments on fighters?

Maybe I don't WANT that stupid extra small laser,  maybe I'd LIKE to have a little more legs on my fighter.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #6 on: 28 January 2011, 15:10:54 »
Game balance, mostly. Kinda like why fractional accounting was taken out of the ground combat rules, making a ton of old vehicles... annoying to restat.

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #7 on: 28 January 2011, 16:36:46 »
I don't know what the reason was, but "game balance" clearly wasn't it . . .
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: 28 January 2011, 16:44:54 »
Sooo, here's a thought, but if you can have 1/2 ton external pods,  why can't we assign fuel in 1/2 ton allotments on fighters?

You can.

TechManual, version 1.2 (first CGL printing) page 186: "Regardless of unit type, fuel may only be added in full or half-ton lots."

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #9 on: 28 January 2011, 16:47:58 »
 :o Nifty!
Goose

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 28 January 2011, 17:49:07 »
You can.

TechManual, version 1.2 (first CGL printing) page 186: "Regardless of unit type, fuel may only be added in full or half-ton lots."
OH SIR,  I LOVE YOU !!!

Okay, maybe not, but thanks for the very useful bit of updated rules information  O0

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: 28 January 2011, 17:57:02 »
OH SIR,  I LOVE YOU !!!

Okay, maybe not, but thanks for the very useful bit of updated rules information

I also looked at the Fanpro release, the text is in there as well.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 28 January 2011, 18:02:15 »
Good to know, I still use HM-Aero that is based off AT2 and never noticed that change in TM.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 28 January 2011, 18:04:20 »
This is one of those many lines where the rules say you can do something, but you'll be hard pressed to find a canon design that does.
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Goose

• Lieutenant
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
« Reply #14 on: 28 January 2011, 20:40:19 »
No design does. Hell: I'd'a sworn we were told in TM that fighters could only add fuel in one-ton lots . . .

Something about LAMs, maybe?
Goose

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 28 January 2011, 21:33:30 »
Now the scary thing is, didn't you write that section? Or did I? Cause I forgot it was there as well.

No, drop tanks were something from AT2R. Not my work, though I was a peanut gallery member during its drafting.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2011, 20:31:03 »
No design does. Hell: I'd'a sworn we were told in TM that fighters could only add fuel in one-ton lots . . .

Something about LAMs, maybe?
Well most fighters pre-date TM so not much we can do there.
But hopefully some new ones will do a 1/2 ton slot somewhere.
I can really see it on Conventionals that don't have the ability to just add in a SL w/o a Fusion Engine or tack on some extra armor.

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2011, 13:28:08 »
In a some what related note, where can I find the fuel capacity of battle armor and battlemech fuel tanks for use in space? No not the base amount per jump jet, how much fuel do you get when you add a extra fuel tank to these units.
I believe a battlemech gets a smiler amount of fuel per ton as a ASF dose, but I have no info on BA units.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2011, 14:33:34 »
In a some what related note, where can I find the fuel capacity of battle armor and battlemech fuel tanks for use in space? No not the base amount per jump jet, how much fuel do you get when you add a extra fuel tank to these units.
I believe a battlemech gets a smiler amount of fuel per ton as a ASF dose, but I have no info on BA units.

This was just answered on the old forums, but it was lost when Deathshadow rolled back the old forums to October.

I believe 'Mechs only get 40 points of fuel per ton, though I can't find the matching page reference.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2011, 19:40:57 »
This was just answered on the old forums, but it was lost when Deathshadow rolled back the old forums to October.

I believe 'Mechs only get 40 points of fuel per ton, though I can't find the matching page reference.

Pg 26/27 of SO
-Joel BC-

Nebfer

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2011, 22:35:51 »
Well that answers that but what about BA fuel tanks?

And the fuel quote is pg 24/25 on my copy of SO (though it's an older copy...)

But it mentions nothing on BA, other than to see TM (pg 255), which says to look at later books for that info...