Author Topic: MW Worlds 2013 results  (Read 1708 times)

guppylips

• Private
MW Worlds 2013 results
« on: 10 June 2013, 18:12:54 »
The final rankings were:

Dale- Hell's Horses gundam custom heavy arms
Bill- Comstar imperator
David- Rasalhague Dominion gladiator

Travis- ravenstar thunderfoot (imp)
Andrew- jefromvegas custom LAM
Roger - House Kurita Dragon

LA - RotS/Merc Rifleman
Jarius- Clan Wolf daishi
Alan- Wolf Hunter unseen longbow

John- House Liao huron warrior
Shannon (fellowship)-Jade Falcon Blood asp
Victor- Bannson's Raiders Highlander jjc

Wade- set of russian mechs primered
Matthew- Nova Cat hellhound
Leon Sea Fox ravenstar fox walker tank

Scott- RotS Mac Monster

Wished i had all the stats but the top left corner of the sheet was ripped out when i brought it over to announce the picking order. If i have something wrong, let me know. I know i missed the black lanner somewhere in there, probabl3 due to wade's russian mechs possibly being wrong.

My write up for the event.

This tournament had several special rules.

- Fancreated pieces from the fpu website were allowed
- an alternate army could be swapped out between round 2 and 3.
- if you qualified for the lower price on a faction pride, with no more than 300 pts of mercs or gunslingers, it was free.

Here was my army for the tournament:It's all Rasalhague Dominion for a total of 898

True grit (not free so it cost 30)
023 Wraith BA veteran x 5
024 Wraith BA elite x 3
FPu Elemental BA x 4
Sylph x 2
Thunderbird BA x 2
Dom005 Clan BA x 2
Van011 Clan BA x 6
'Requiem' Marauder IIC
- Shizuka Findlay (crescendo) RD recruited
- RD Camo

I knew i should have played Liao ATVs for this army instead of Sylphs, as they are much better for the role i had assigned for them, but i was trying to keep it faction pure cause that's how i roll.

It was nice to see alot of our fan created pieces from the falcon's prey upgrades as well as last year's champion mechs being played. I know more than half the armies featured them.

We all have our dice roll complaints for big tournaments. If you were around me at the end, you will know mine is that the Crescendo ability went off exactly 1 time the whole tournament, and thar was at the end. Even with it going off on 1 or 2, shooting the mech the way i did at multiple targets should have seen that ability a bit more. I damaged a headmaster atlas down to the last click before he hit his repair marker. Bill ran it back with his BR style army and healed it back to green. B'ah! ;-)

my first round was against John Pounders, who was playing a RotS dual malice army with arty and a coolant truck, as well as some infantry. This game was close. I got my mission, a new fpu mission called trial of possession. The mechs engaged but never took each other down. We killed support pieces, and i had a salvaged sylph on the field. At the end, john had vc 2, and i had vc 1,3, and 4.

Next was bill. Ah bill, my nemesis for the day. Played him twice and lost both times. He played a BR Style healing army, but played True Grit as well. He had a 2 point build advantage on me, and artillery to boot, so he let me get chewed up on the way in to him. I think bill took a special glee playing the card we had made of my svii champ prize back 5 years ago. Pretty much the short of it is i can prime 'marrow' wulfen and use the 'into the breech' ability. He had antipersonnel on it, which wouldn't have mattered much if i hadn't been getting occasional fire from the armor piercing arty. 'rquiem got hit solid on his first shot against it (i got cocky with my 26 defense.) Bill's win, but i got my 'flush 'em out mission card.

Next game was against Jarius, who played solitude, a rots malice, and jack 'nightstalker'. I played tornado, which got cancelled by a perfect day. We knew how this one would go, but had to play it out. I lost infantry, but had a buttload of vc3 and captured all the 'mechs.

Round 4 was against Wade, who was playingjade falcon with Black Rose and Aiden Pride in his madcat, 3 shamashes, a pair of artemis iv hadurs, a mantuffel, and a cba. I played subzero temperatures to try and lock up his vehicles some, and he played a mission he didn't get. My 'mech got popped a bit, but was able to eliminate all the shamashes before they could score vc3. I ended up capturing most of his army, though aiden pryde hurt alot of stuff before it was over. I was getting ready to retreat my mech when time was called.

Round 5 was Bill. He played more aggressively this round. His atv scored vc3. I got in a skirmish with his mechs at the middle of the board, but was having to push my infantry to make it to them. As mentioned i popped headmaster good, but to no longterm effect. I couldnt seem to get my infantry down there by the end of the game with the destraction of the midfield battle, and it was bill's win, with more manliness this time if i do say so.

Good time playing against good folks. Look forward to next year.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2013, 19:58:19 by guppylips »

AsburyGrad

• Sergeant
Re: MW Worlds 2013 results
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2013, 11:04:43 »
Dale’s Tournament Write-Up:
My Army:
“Tau” Lioness / P-A28 / RISC Hyperlaser
“Magister” Raven / James Carrot / HK Recruit / RISC Advanced Pulse Module
NC Vixen / Goshen Grad / Improved Targeting
SA-001
DF DI Schmitt Tank
DF Maxim MK 2
SC Sylph Battle Armor
HK Shamash Recon Vehicle
3 DF Scout ATV Squad

Round 1 vs Wade:
I played a new Upgrades mission card called Trial of Refusal, which gives me a victory condition if the other player scores no VC 3 points.  Wade was first player, and ran 3 Shamashes into my DZ on his first turn, but I eliminated them on my first turn.  “Black Rose” and the “Second Chance” Timberwolf ran up; my Schmitt hit the Timberwolf for 5 damage, followed by 9 more from the Lioness.  On Wade’s next turn, the Shrike missed a ranged attack and shut down, and Wade surrendered.  I won 4 VCs.

Round 2 vs Victor:
Victor camped out in a piece of water with the “Tanto” Panther and “Mallory” Atlas, but attacked my ATVs in his deployment zone with the “Harlequin” Griffin.  He pushed it into heat trouble, got a bad roll on an ammo pop for 4 damage, and also shutdown.  My Vixen, Shamash, and Schmitt all combined to kill the Griffin.  “Mallory” and “Tanto” eliminated the exposed Schmitt, but time ran out for “Mallory” to catch anything else.  I won with 3 VCs.

Round 3 vs Bill:
Bill had a great strategy in mind for facing my army:  he kept his Mechs out of my 16-inch “standard” range and forced me to use RISC Hyperlaser shots, while moving his infantry directly at me.  I kept myself behind blocking terrain, took Hyperlaser shots when I could, and worked on his infantry.  He would kill a 14-point ATV, then I would take out a 14-point BR Kage Battle Armor.  When time ran out, he had 50 points on VC 1 and I had 55 points!  I also completed my Trial of Greviance mission card and took VC 3; Bill won VC 2 (he had a 30-point True Grit card against my 60-point SA).  That was the only victory condition that I did not win during the tournament.

Round 4 vs Dave:
Dave and I had piled up 10 victory conditions each after 3 rounds of play; this was a battle of heavyweights.  Dave ran up “Seka’s Pride”, hoping to take a shot at my Sylph on the next turn, to take away my clear line of fire.  It didn’t get a chance though – my Schmitt deployed within 6 inches of my P-A28 pilot, took a shot with 13 attack and Improved Targeting, and hit the Vulture twice to deal 5 damage.  Other units fired to eliminate it, so it couldn’t retreat to Dave’s DZ.  On my next turn, I was able to eliminate the “Black Widow” Marauder.  Dave assaulted with his WH Thor and dealt 6 damage to my Lioness on a critical hit roll, but it shut down and Dave surrendered.  Total VCs won = 13 through 4 rounds of play.

Kirk determined that I could lose the fifth game with 0 VCs and still win the tournament on VC 2.  In total, I lost less than 200 points all day, and had my full 840 VC 2 points in two matches.  It was certainly the best tournament of my life.

If anyone cares, I took 6 shots with my RISC Hyperlaser during the 4 rounds, and missed every shot (it never blew off though).  I believe winning VC 3 in every round was a huge advantage; I would have had only 9 victory conditions after 4 games without that.
ilClan Wolf - it's about damn time . . .

"Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics." - Worktroll

Register