Author Topic: Charger CGR-1A5...who uses this and where is it from?  (Read 6912 times)

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
Charger CGR-1A5...who uses this and where is it from?
« on: 13 March 2011, 11:37:31 »
Just DLed MegaMek and noticed this variant of the Charger.  I've seen a miniature for it as well, if I am remembering right.  Just curious as to who/ where this Mech is manufactured and who uses it? I know the CGR-1A9 is the Kurita variant, I just do not remember seeing the 1A5 in any TRO or sourcebook.  Someone enlighten me, please?

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Re: Charger CGR-1A5...who uses this and where is it from?
« Reply #1 on: 13 March 2011, 11:59:27 »
It is used by those that were lucky enough not to be assigned a CGR-1A1.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 13 March 2011, 12:06:16 »
Per the BattlePack: Fourth Succession War by Randall Bills and published by FASA, it is a Capellan Confederation design...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 13 March 2011, 13:38:50 »
TRO:3039 confirms it as a Capellan modification.

If I may do a slight threadjack, does anyone know the same info for the -SB?  I've never been able to find a distribution on it, or even a mention in any fluff, just a record sheet.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 13 March 2011, 13:53:10 »
If I may do a slight threadjack, does anyone know the same info for the -SB?  I've never been able to find a distribution on it, or even a mention in any fluff, just a record sheet.
The CGR-SB was described in BattleTechnology, and canonized through getting a record sheet in an official publication that, unlike BattleTechnology, wasn't de-canonized since. It remains unclear if the record sheet means its BattleTechnology writeup should still be regarded as canon as well (probably not).
Anyways, the story according to BattleTechnology ran along these lines:

Tech-savvy Hat-in-the-Ring Battalion (aka HRB, a merc unit in Davion employ) captures two CGR-1A1s from Liao forces on Holt (though that is actually a Marik world...) and nobody wants to pilot them. So Stuart Bell, the HRB's chief Master Tech, devises a modification that downgrades the fusion engine and replaces the existing small lasers with large ones - because that way, he doesn't have to meddle with the targeting computer. Thus the -SB version was born, and apparently became a rather popular field refit for those who could afford it - at least that's implied from the fact that the CGR-SB variant itself has subvariants. It is called "Challenger", by the way.
(see also: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Charger#Variants

I've heard that the Challenger from the record sheets is different from the stats given in BattleTechnology, but haven't looked this up yet.
« Last Edit: 13 March 2011, 14:03:48 by Frabby »
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #5 on: 13 March 2011, 15:45:37 »
I've heard that the Challenger from the record sheets is different from the stats given in BattleTechnology, but haven't looked this up yet.

Well, I do not have the BattleTechnology data, but RS3039u has the head-mounted laser as a medium. (A bit hard to fit a large in the head before small cockpits.)

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: 13 March 2011, 19:34:22 »
It is used by those that were lucky enough not to be assigned a CGR-1A1.

Funny, but not exactly helpful.... ;D

Per the BattlePack: Fourth Succession War by Randall Bills and published by FASA, it is a Capellan Confederation design...

Ruger

Helpful (as in exactly the answer I was looking for, thank you very much), but not exactly funny.... ;D

TRO:3039 confirms it as a Capellan modification.

I'll have to bust out my copy and reread....I don't remember ever having heard of that version being mentioned, so thanks for the place to look it up. Damn Capellans! I was hoping it was a Kurita design, as I like it more than the LRM 20 boat the Kuritans have.

On a side note, I used it in a lance vs lance MegaMek game today and it fared well.....soaked up a lot of damage as it closed but was able to bring the AC/20 to bear and get a kill.  Granted, it was against the bot but it performed about the same as the stock Hunchback I had in the lance with it.

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 13 March 2011, 19:56:46 »
Its a non-jumpy Victor with better crit-seeking.  Definitely a solid assault.  That LRM-20 you mention is another personal fave, great skirmisher/support for lighter units.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #8 on: 13 March 2011, 20:31:23 »

I'll have to bust out my copy and reread....I don't remember ever having heard of that version being mentioned, so thanks for the place to look it up. Damn Capellans! I was hoping it was a Kurita design, as I like it more than the LRM 20 boat the Kuritans have.

You could probably justify it in a Kuritan unit, between the Charger chassis being of Kuritan manufacture and the whole Concord of Kapetyn thing.  Heck, I know Camospecs has at least one painted up for the Arkab Legions.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 09 May 2011, 10:14:24 »
Love the 1A9 Charger. Heck I like all the Chargers. I think its the mini...

Register