Author Topic: Campaign idea  (Read 3404 times)

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
Campaign idea
« on: 29 June 2013, 06:01:22 »
Hi folks. I've just been chatting with a friend about an idea for a campaign that got us both pretty excited. Neither of us have a lot of spare time, so we'll probably be using Quickstrike or BattleForce most of the time for the tactical play.

In strategic terms we're thinking about a Risk board as the planetary map. Each continent will have one or two objectives, the control of which will give a bonus of some kind. So far we're thinking City, giving a tonnage bonus in each battle; Factory, allowing the repair and recovery of a destroyed 'Mech; Port, allowing end of turn manoeuvring to unconnected territories; Transport Hub, allowing forces to be moved to connected territories during the turn; and Planetary Capital, which lets you pick one of the above each turn.

We think that each troop will represent 20 tonnes, and we'll just receive reinforcements each turn like normal Risk, or perhaps at a lower rate to keep us from getting overpowered too quickly.

Firstly, what do you think of the concept? Has anyone ever tried something similar? Any tips as to how to improve it or make it more workable? It's still in the very early stages!

D
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and say, 'No, you move'." - Captain America

Dropkick

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
Re: Campaign idea
« Reply #1 on: 30 June 2013, 08:18:38 »
I like it and seen this type of campaign played before in many different game systems.  It should work fine.  But instead of tons why not just go with a straight point value?  The system for AS isn't bad and low enough to keep the number crunching to a minimum.

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2013, 06:50:29 »
Thanks for the reply, glad to know it can actually work! I went with tonnage as opposed to BV because my opponent doesn't have access to as much BTech information as I have, and I thought tonnage would keep it nice and simple.

I've also been thinking about skill increases. We'll probably use a modified version of the rules found in the Interstellar Ops Beta documents for creating our initial forces, but for skill increases we'll probably be awarding points for missions played, kills, MVP and using preferred 'Mech. Points can either be cashed in for skill increases, or possibly special bonuses, either for that warrior or the whole force.

D
"When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth and say, 'No, you move'." - Captain America

pupecki

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 04 July 2013, 08:51:37 »
I really like this idea, I would be very interested in doing something like this so after you a play a few games report back and let us know how it goes and what rules do and dont work!

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2013, 06:14:22 »
Will do! We're hoping to get in a few turns next week at some stage, and I'm keeping everything documented. Once we've had a crack at it I'll post our preliminary findings!

pupecki

• Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2013, 12:19:31 »
Any update on how this worked out for you?

Maskerade

• Master Sergeant
  • Advertised product may not match reality
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2013, 14:28:19 »
Thanks for the reply, glad to know it can actually work! I went with tonnage as opposed to BV because my opponent doesn't have
I've also been thinking about skill increases. We'll probably use a modified version of the rules found in the Interstellar Ops Beta documents for creating our initial forces, but for skill increases we'll probably be awarding points for missions played, kills, MVP and using preferred 'Mech. Points can either be cashed in for skill increases, or possibly special bonuses, either for that warrior or the whole force.

D

You should check this out, about 2/3 of the way down the page (it's the Pilot Improvement section). It's basically what you've described, and it saves you having to bash it out for yourself.
Be polite. Be efficient. Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

thrawn

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2013, 17:38:53 »
Sorry for the long silence! It's been a tough few weeks in my home, so very little time for my needing proclivities!

We managed to get a night at it. It was a mixed bag- I think some of the strategic bonuses we came up with were a bit broken, especially when combined with specific pilot skills.

This meant that the one game we managed to play, which should have been a rollover for me, ended up with my losing every mech because he was able to call in so many reinforcements from nowhere.

All in all, I think the broad concept works. We're going to rework it using some Alpha Strike elements- their campaign system just seems great, and we both really enjoyed the in-between game logistics side of it.

pupecki

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2013, 23:12:23 »
Sorry to hear about your home troubles but please do keep us updated, I'm still very interested in seeing what ends up working for you.

Register