Author Topic: Living Star League...  (Read 1126 times)

bytedruid

• Master Sergeant
  • A great starter adventure.
Living Star League...
« on: 19 July 2013, 01:37:51 »
Has anyone here ever played in a Living campaign?  If so, excuse the aside.  The concept behind living campaigns is that one can make a character in one venue and then play that character in any event where campaign modules are running.  Typically character creation rules are structured and the setting and adventures are somewhat limited to provide cohesion for which ever players happen to drop on to a table that day.  Each player and character has a number and attendence and award data are transmitted to a central organization to prevent cheating.

I'm mentioning this because I help run a small local gaming convention every January in my home town and am considering starting a living BattleTech campaign.  It's a bit ambitious but doable by small handful of people.  I'm interested in attracting people to AToW without expecting them to know anything about mech v. mech combat.  Though there will be adventures where mech piloting can come in handy, (heck it is BattleTech after all) it won't be required.

Here's the setting that first springs to mind given the restrictions of having characters run by GM's that don't necessarily know each other...

"We are members of the Star League Defence Force Intelligence Command.  When problems arise we find the source and handle it, be it through negotiations, force of arms, bribes or accidents.  The Star League is mankind's greatest accomplishment, but there are those who would fell this achievement for there own selfish aims.  As a member of the Intelligence Command we prevent problems from boiling over.  We assist friends of the Star League, and insure that the League always knows more than anyone else.  Our teams draw from a multitude of talents and disciplines and operate independently and judiciously..."

You've hear it before, but this time... yea this time, your putting in for transfer.  As you leave the maglev for pad 117-A, it's clear.  Many have your training but most will never shape the future.  You're not most...

What other Era or in universe organization would you choose to draw in new RPG players?

Cheers,
« Last Edit: 19 July 2013, 01:41:25 by bytedruid »
Hat tips to Slightlylyons who fixed aerotech in one post and to Daryk for organized cool stuff.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Re: Living Star League...
« Reply #1 on: 19 July 2013, 10:21:05 »
Properly Dark Age, in the Republic Sub-Era (3081 - 3132).   The republic was doing such things during the time, CGL had trouble shooting Lances going out to solve local problems.  The Errant Lances i think they were called.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register