Author Topic: Blaine's Latest Blog  (Read 206771 times)

BlazingSky

• Lieutenant
  • Ah yes, the rabble and their "Medium Mechs"
Re: Blog Post - The Importance of Alternate History
« Reply #120 on: 06 November 2011, 10:55:33 »
Hence "offshoot", right?  8)

Offshoot implies that they call themselves alternate history in someway :P
I don't post to play nice with everyone. I post to posit my ideas. If this offends you, there's an ignore function.
I knew this day would come! The day of the stapler men has arrived!

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #121 on: 06 November 2011, 10:58:52 »
Offshoot implies that they call themselves alternate history in someway :P

But then it wouldn't be an offshoot.  8)
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #122 on: 06 November 2011, 12:12:10 »
The only alternate history author I've read much of is Harry Turtledove.  I liked his Worldwar/Colonization series and his Darkness series, but I got burnt out on the American Civil War derivatives and extrapolations.  These days, it seems like all he does is re-stage WWII and I'm really not interested enough to read it.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #123 on: 06 November 2011, 12:29:10 »
I do agree with Blaine, the alternate histories and historical fiction (Cornwell, O'Brian et al) as well have led me to delving into the real history that their stories are based on

The only alternate history author I've read much of is Harry Turtledove.  I liked his Worldwar/Colonization series and his Darkness series, but I got burnt out on the American Civil War derivatives and extrapolations.  These days, it seems like all he does is re-stage WWII and I'm really not interested enough to read it.
Agreed, to me Turtledove has turned into pulp writer.

Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
    • Website of Blaine Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
The cover of my upcoming true crime book - Secret Witness
« Reply #125 on: 11 December 2011, 12:44:16 »
Author

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
Re: The cover of my upcoming true crime book - Secret Witness
« Reply #126 on: 11 December 2011, 13:12:20 »
It looks good, and suitably fits the book's theme.
Allow me to add my congratulations for your daughter's wedding, and my best wishes.
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

Ajax_Wolf

• Lieutenant
  • Krampus is the reason for the Christmas season.
« Reply #127 on: 12 December 2011, 00:53:07 »
Looks a little dark/lacking contrast. If I was walking down the aisle, the only think that stands out on the cover to my eye is your name.
Why does everyone "Fire at Will"? Is he really that bad of a person? And what did he do to make everyone want to shoot him?

If a group of necrophiliacs met a group of zombies, who would do the chasing?

Bacon is Life! Even vegaterians eat bacon.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #129 on: 17 December 2011, 14:46:08 »
The release date is April 28, 2012.  Per Amazon.com. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Author

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
Re: My latest blog entry - researching the Lafayette Escadrille
« Reply #132 on: 26 December 2011, 11:45:34 »
So, maybe a book about the Lafayette Escadrille by itself is down the road somewhere?  :))

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), Two "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," and "Shadows of the Past," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Three White Roses," and "The Markslaughter Files."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." "In the Shadow of Dragons" (Out July 15th!) and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #133 on: 26 December 2011, 11:47:01 »
I was just at the US Air Force Museum a few weeks back and looked at a display about these guys. Very informative stuff.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Dropkick

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #134 on: 26 December 2011, 12:00:35 »
Check out "I Flew with the Lafayetter Escadrille" by Edwin C. Parsons.  You should be able to find one online.  Also check out "To the Last Man Standing:A Novel of the First World War" by Jeff Shaara.  It doesn't focus of the Lafayette Escadrille but does have a pretty good fictionalized acount of the Career of Raoul Lufbery.

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #135 on: 29 December 2011, 16:22:09 »
Parson's book is good - but the guy I'm writing about was in the unit prior to Parsons arrival. 

The Vivid Air is, by and large, the best book on the squadron...that and Molly Mason's work. 

Blaine Pardoe
Author

Stormcrow

• Major
  • Art by Shimmering Sword
« Reply #136 on: 30 December 2011, 13:46:12 »
Raoul Lufbery.
One of the coolest names in history
Commandant Otto Maurus, ARWH-1Z ArcHammer, Maurus' Minutemen
Captain Obadiah Sykes, OSR-5FCR Ostroc, Second Filtvelt Citizens Militia

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. - Confucius
Noli Timure Messorem
May God defend me from my friends; I can defend myself from my enemies. - Voltaire
Wielder of the Ferro-Carbide Bat of DOOM™

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
Blot Post - Is True Crime History?
« Reply #137 on: 07 January 2012, 11:39:33 »
http://bpardoe.blogspot.com/2012/01/is-true-crime-history.html

For those interested in a writer's life...

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
The Twilight of the Clans that never was...
« Reply #138 on: 14 January 2012, 15:41:40 »
Author

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Re: The Twilight of the Clans that never was...
« Reply #139 on: 14 January 2012, 16:16:43 »
I think I like how Exodus Road officially ended up being better than the idea of just stealing a warship.  I think you did a great job with that story, and it's my favorite of the entire Twilight arc.  I do, however, prefer Bill's idea for killing the GDL much, much more than what we got.  Grayson walking off into the jungle never to be seen again is a much better send off!  And Trent.  I never liked that scene with Victor and Trent, it's one of the weakest and most out-of-character scenes in all of Battletech canon.  I look forward to seeing something more on Trent!

Hersh67

• Captain
« Reply #140 on: 14 January 2012, 16:45:12 »
I think you did an excelent job with Trent.  The idea of getting screwed over by the boss repeatedly to the point you have nothing left to be loyal to is something that folks connect with.  It didn't make the guy loveable, but certainly understandable.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #141 on: 14 January 2012, 18:17:08 »
I've got to say, I would love to read that book. I enjoyed the story as it is written, but you guys seemed to be on to something with taking the intel from a Warship and a direct assault on Strana Mechty.

I also like the look into how these ideas and decisions come into being. Having a group of creators collaborating on a project must be difficult at times, but it has resulted in a universe loved by so many people.
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #142 on: 14 January 2012, 18:42:20 »
It's definitely an intriguing alternative. Despite the problems (pissing off all the Clans at once!) that you say waylaid your original plans, I think it would have been exciting to read- even for myself, preferring the Clans to win.

And you're right about issues with empathizing with a traitor. On these forums, some like Trent, some dislike him if only because he is a turncloak.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #143 on: 14 January 2012, 20:26:11 »
Quite interesting.  It sounds to me that Bill Keith kind of left the Battletech group unhappily.  I do think Grey going off to die on his own would have been an appropriately legendary send off for the man.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 14 January 2012, 21:31:34 »
Yeah. It would've been a much bigger story. I can see the conflagration raging out of control with that. Can you imagine the Ghost Bears, Nova Cats, Wolf's Dragoons, and the Wolves (in-Exile) forced to fight on the Clan side of things?  Yeah. It would have to go down a lot differently than "We pick on the tough bully that everyone hates."
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #145 on: 14 January 2012, 21:46:35 »
Oh what may have been, and just think how that would have affected the future of the Universe. Would we still have had a Jihad? Probably yes, but with so much of the House's forces in the Homeworlds garrisoning the Clan Repository, the damage of the Jihad would have been much greater!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

ShadowRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #146 on: 14 January 2012, 23:13:01 »
When I first saw this thread I thought "Oh no, not Vlad Ward with glitter" Then I read the blog post. I have to say, that was really interesting. I am kinda glad the story line worked out the way it did, but I think either way it would have been really an exciting part of the greater Battletech story line.
We are Clan Snow Raven. Masters of the void, and reapers of your souls

befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
— From a post on rpg.net

Takiro

• Lieutenant
  • BattleTech: Salient Horizon
    • Your BattleTech
« Reply #147 on: 14 January 2012, 23:24:11 »
Very interesting insights into a classic. Personally I would have forgone the finding of the Homeworlds. Never cared for the angle given the amount of space and the security assets available to the Clan patrols. I would have gone for a push the Clans or rather the Crusaders out of the InnerSphere with certain Warden Clans remaining and joining the Star League. Nova Cat getting an expanded Alshain Military District (the 3049 district plus every Clan occupied world) of the DC, Ghost Bear merging with the Rasalhague Dominion, a reunited Wolf Clan running the Tamar Pact of the Lyran Alliance, and Diamond Shark setting up a new Rim Protectorate state that serves as a trade station between the homeworlds and the InnerSphere.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #148 on: 15 January 2012, 02:00:02 »
In the end, Trent’s alleged demise seemed somehow inappropriate.  (Don’t worry folks, I laid a plan to resolve this several years ago – you will one day see this in a slightly different perspective.) 
The part in parentheses gives me hope that his final story will get told. Yay!

Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

bpardoe870

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #149 on: 15 January 2012, 12:09:42 »
I'm glad you guys enjoyed this post.  There's a lot that goes into such a universe - things the fan community never gets to see. 

Blaine "Buck" Pardoe
Author