Author Topic: Aerospace units in Megamek  (Read 4326 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Aerospace units in Megamek
« on: 30 August 2013, 06:03:28 »
I am having trouble using areospace units in Megamek. Is there a way to use an aerospace fighter on a ground map without it crashing? Also, is there a way to start a game with a dropship grounded?

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
  • Look out, there is a monkey on your back!
Re: Aerospace units in Megamek
« Reply #1 on: 30 August 2013, 10:47:53 »
You have to give it velocity by accelerating before you can move it. There is a document in the doc folder that goes into some of the basics of flying on the ground map. Beyond that, you will have to read the rules in TW to know how to use it.

To start with a dropship grounded, open up the customize unit window in the chat lounge and go to the deployment tab and set its altitude to zero. Make sure you use a map that has enough flat open space to actually place it.
MegaMek Dev and Bug Creator

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Make your own campaign website with the MekHQ Blog

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2013, 12:41:01 »
I'm glad I saw this topic.  Taharqa, you just reminded me that I have to make a couple little updates to that document :)
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #3 on: 30 August 2013, 13:27:54 »
A good useful thread :) I always want to use ASF's on a map but I've been reluctant to try it myself due to a lack of familiarity with the procedures.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 30 August 2013, 15:04:46 »
Thanks for the info. I managed to get the Dropship to work, but still having trouble with the areospace fighter.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2013, 13:19:45 »
I am having a slight problem. Do I have to use all my thrust with an Aerospace unit?

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 31 August 2013, 16:30:18 »
I am having a slight problem. Do I have to use all my thrust with an Aerospace unit?

Yes

The Flaming Devil Monkeys - The adventures of a band of misfit gladiators turned mercenary mechwarriors during the Word of Blake Jihad.
The Free Company of Oriente - No longer bound by the politics of the great houses, the Free Company of Oriente seeks its fate and fortune among the stars.
Ronin Cat Avengers - Fleeing the destruction of their Clan across an Inner Sphere at war, the Ronin Cat Avengers seek a new home ... and vengeance.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2013, 15:15:56 »
Is that true with Vectored combat as well?

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Taharqa

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2013, 16:17:05 »
With vectored combat, you will be shown an arrow indicating your current vectors. If you do nothing to change them then the unit will move to the designated hex.

Register