Author Topic: Adding new mechs  (Read 2981 times)

Hawhaw

• Corporal
Adding new mechs
« on: 18 September 2013, 07:08:21 »
Hello guys. I'd like some help in adding new mechs to MegaMek. Where exactly do I place the sprites and which .txt file do I edit? Thanks guys!

Jayof9s

• Captain
Re: Adding new mechs
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2013, 07:58:05 »
The images for new mechs would go in the data/images/units/mechfiles folder

The text file you would edit so your new designs know to utilize the new images is localclient_mechset.txt in the data/images/units folder.

Hawhaw

• Corporal
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2013, 08:26:34 »
Okay thanks! What about .mul files and .mms files?

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2013, 08:41:01 »
You won't need mul files to add new designs, and I don't know anything about .mms files. Megamek uses .mtf files for its mechs (I'd suggest creating with Megamek Lab) and all other unit types utilize .blk files and can either be made using MML or need to be hand edited in a text editor.

All new units (MTF and BLK files) go into data\mechfiles and I'd suggest creating a customs folder in there for them. Also, new units are not added to the MM units cache until the program is closed and restarted (i.e. if you add a design while you have MM open, you won't see it until you close and start MM again).

Hawhaw

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2013, 10:00:20 »
Yes but where do I put .mul files. I know they are saved units. I just don't know where to put them.  :)

Jayof9s

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 18 September 2013, 10:54:17 »
Yes but where do I put .mul files. I know they are saved units. I just don't know where to put them.  :)

You don't put them anywhere in particular. Those aren't the 'unit files', as I just explained in the previous post the unit files are .MTF and .BLK MUL files are for saving a list of units/pilots not for creating new units.

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2013, 12:00:53 »
.Mul files like he said are for unit lists.  If you are wanting to add one of those you 1) Start New Game, 2) Load Unit List, 3) Just search whatever folder you saved the unit list in.  The only way you are really going to have .Mul(s) is with MHQ or by saving the unit list after a battle (or before/during).
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Hawhaw

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2013, 05:32:54 »
Okay I understand guys. Thanks for the help!  :)