Author Topic: MoC Shadowhawks?  (Read 5498 times)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
MoC Shadowhawks?
« on: 19 March 2011, 22:31:26 »
So other than the reference that the 7M was liscenced by the Cappies for the Canopians, I can't find any references to what Shadowhawks are made in the Magistry.  There is a small passage about refurbishing the existing lines on Dunianshire, but again, no models.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Maelwys

• Major
Re: MoC Shadowhawks?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2011, 03:34:23 »
So other than the reference that the 7M was liscenced by the Cappies for the Canopians, I can't find any references to what Shadowhawks are made in the Magistry.  There is a small passage about refurbishing the existing lines on Dunianshire, but again, no models.

The information isn't really out there. Project Phoenix states that "House Liao has purchased the license for producing the SHD-7M, ostensibly to add to its own forces and to sell to the Magistracy forces. House Liao then sublet their license to the Taurians in order to for [sic] solidifying their position in the alliance."

So there's no real indication that the Capellans did anything other than sell SHD-7Ms to the Canopians. No comment about selling them the license (like they did with the Taurians), so that doesn't help.

I believe the only stated, canon source we have for what Shadow Hawk the Magistracy produces goes back to the 1st Edition Periphery book, where on page 100 it states that Majesty Metals and Manufacturing produces on Dunianshire the SHW-1 Shadow Hawk.

Of course, there's never been any SHW-1 variant that we've seen.

If I had to guess, I would say the standard 2H (pretty sure that's the standard), until the 3060's, when they started producing the 7M (can anyone not see the Capellans slipping the Magistracy the design on the sly?).

I suppose its possible that sometime during the Jihad (or after) they started to produce the 8L. There's no proof, but its a possibility, with no more evidence for or against than the 7M has.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2011, 11:07:54 »
Per TRO: 3050 P. 136

"Though the Earthworks factory on Calloway VI is the only manufacturer of the Shadow Hawk in the Inner Sphere, Majesty Metals and Manufacturing on Duncanshire in the Majestracy of Canopus still produces the old SHD-2H design."

Also stated to produce the SHD-2H in "Objective Raids"  Pages: 152 and 174

Objective raids isn't the most accurate of publications, I know, but with the confirmation of the TRO, I am fairly confident of the information.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2011, 00:08:34 »
Ah, I had forgotten about Objective raids.

Of course, both of those are set rather early on into the Clan era, so there's plenty of time to change it if you want :)

RichQ03

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2011, 09:25:25 »
From what I remember (and I may be wrong), in the original TRO3050 didnt it state that the FedCom/Suns purchased the SHD-2H Shadow Hawk from the MoC and modified them to their SHD-2D2 variant?

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2011, 23:37:59 »
Per the new MUL file, they also make the 7M and 8L variants. Even in the Dark Ages

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 24 March 2011, 05:26:41 »
Well, the MUL just tells us what they have access to, not necessarily if they produce it. The 7M could be on their faction list either because they built the thing, or because they bought 2 companies worth from the Taurians.

The 8L is interesting though. The faction availability on it during the Jihad is MoC and WoB. Which could indicate a MoC production line that had been upgraded by the WoB, and then retaken by the MoC.

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2011, 14:09:21 »
((nods)) you are correct. ;)

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

Rim Worlder

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 21 April 2011, 00:35:22 »

The 8L is interesting though. The faction availability on it during the Jihad is MoC and WoB. Which could indicate a MoC production line that had been upgraded by the WoB, and then retaken by the MoC.

I could be wrong but I'm sure I read in  Masters and Minions that the WoB took over Canopus IV and retooled the Battlemech lines there.

P176, very last sentance under Majestry Metals and Mining

doesn't say what lines were upgraded but mentions that they rely on imported technologies to continue production after the expulsion of the WoB.
Star League - Egotistical, Mass Murdering Butchers from start to finish.

"Star League caches and Clan-Tech salvage, You're welcome"  - Stefan Amaris

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #9 on: 21 April 2011, 01:07:22 »
Well, the new MUL tidbits say it's the 5M that's available to the MoC so I guess that's the upgraded model being produced.  Which is fine with me...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 21 April 2011, 03:00:37 »
Did they update the MUL? I'm looking at it right now, and the 5M is given to the FW and WB, while the 7M is CC,MC,TC,FW

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #11 on: 21 April 2011, 08:00:05 »
It was late and I was tired.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 21 April 2011, 15:30:27 »
I could be wrong but I'm sure I read in  Masters and Minions that the WoB took over Canopus IV and retooled the Battlemech lines there.

P176, very last sentance under Majestry Metals and Mining

doesn't say what lines were upgraded but mentions that they rely on imported technologies to continue production after the expulsion of the WoB.

Yup, the very thing I was thinking of when I posted that (I just didn't feel like digging out the quote). The naming convention is rather odd however. If the 8L is a Shadow Hawk that the WoB started to produce for themselves in the MoC when they took the Canopus production lines, why designate it the 8L? Why not the 8W?

When I first saw the 8L, I figured it was something the Capellans were producing (oddly, since they don't have Shadow Hawk Production lines as far as I know) due to the 8L designation, but now that we know the Jihad and post Jihad factions, I believe its a MoC production due to a factory line that had been upgraded by the WoB.

Which just leaves the odd 8L designation. Maybe it was already on the drawing board, and the WoB came in and finished the retooling of the lines, and made changes (like say, replacing two MPLs with the MVSP or something), and just didn't change the designation.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 22 April 2011, 08:09:07 »
Earthworks started building the Shadow Hawk on Grand Base during the mid/late 3060's according to PP.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 23 April 2011, 10:53:52 »
Yup, the very thing I was thinking of when I posted that (I just didn't feel like digging out the quote). The naming convention is rather odd however. If the 8L is a Shadow Hawk that the WoB started to produce for themselves in the MoC when they took the Canopus production lines, why designate it the 8L? Why not the 8W?

When I first saw the 8L, I figured it was something the Capellans were producing (oddly, since they don't have Shadow Hawk Production lines as far as I know) due to the 8L designation, but now that we know the Jihad and post Jihad factions, I believe its a MoC production due to a factory line that had been upgraded by the WoB.

Which just leaves the odd 8L designation. Maybe it was already on the drawing board, and the WoB came in and finished the retooling of the lines, and made changes (like say, replacing two MPLs with the MVSP or something), and just didn't change the designation.

The WoB was also working with the Capellans up to the Jihad, it could have been something they had been working on with them and just decided they needed some and they had this nice factory in the MoC.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 23 April 2011, 14:54:04 »
The WoB was also working with the Capellans up to the Jihad, it could have been something they had been working on with them and just decided they needed some and they had this nice factory in the MoC.

Makes sense as well. I'm rather interested in seeing how well the 8L plays with the various Eyleukas, since they share the same movement rate.