Author Topic: Terrain Hex Pack in progress  (Read 175090 times)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress - Download archive added
« Reply #120 on: 30 May 2014, 10:39:48 »
Post pics of your table when finished ;)
I note each tip, and make sketches along, so a multi hex bridge, defence turrets, military structures and a new power generator, everything is laid down as a pencil drawing already;)
Cannyon is a great hint, will work on it during my next set - desert/mars-like map. I have some thoughts for a dropship, too.
Thank you for support! I welcome all ideas!

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #121 on: 31 May 2014, 16:13:50 »
@Whitar: could you tell us some of your magic? How do you do this stuff? Do you first create 3D meshes or what?

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: 31 May 2014, 16:31:16 »
Hey) No magic really;-)
I use Photoshop and various textures. Sometimes I put my ideas on paper, and replicate in software.
I work with Bryce a bit, it helps me to make terrain maps, but further work I do in PS.
I wish I could do 3d, but it's too time consuming, I learn it in short spans
Nothing fancy, just techniques I developed with practice during this project.
Thanks for interest!

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #123 on: 02 June 2014, 22:39:25 »
I had another idea while folding laundry today (don't judge). You could probably easily take your water tiles and recolor them to make them pools and rivers of lava. How bad ass would that be? If you made the surrounding terrain look charred and scorched, I'm sure the tiles would fit in with any type of terrain be it grass, ice/snow, or badlands.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #124 on: 03 June 2014, 11:19:52 »
Yeah, lava will be present on my alien desert map. Remember Battletech game on Snes console? Mission 2;-)
Thanks!

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #125 on: 03 June 2014, 19:05:36 »
I'm anxious about how this project develops further, I got so many great ideas from you, guys!
Thank you for support!

I have drawn a lot of urban, military/industrial structures, turrets with various weapons, a long heavy bridge, and sketching a starport of some kind, to fit a dropship, all for the current green map. When everything, that I planned, will be done, I'll be very proud

Next, I will work on desert terrain, that is hostile enough, with terraforming domes, lava pools and sand worms;)
Just another homeworld in the dominion.

The direct opposite will be an ice world map, with polar bases, underground bunkers, covered cites, frozen lakes, and other interesting stuff.

Keep an eye on this page from time to time, I may post some sketches;)

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 03 June 2014, 19:45:51 »
Touching on the dropships I have a few PDFs with some different types  Ive collected over the years I can send you if you send me your email in PM.

Heavyguard

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #127 on: 04 June 2014, 09:07:23 »
@Whitar: would you mind posting some of the half done stuff? I would love to see and understand how you do this work.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #128 on: 04 June 2014, 09:57:22 »
I could share work in progress pics only when I come home, sorry.. I experiment with forms and textures, until their combination represents my idea, sometimes, random tweaks in Photoshop turn into a new creation. I tried different techniques, and stopped with the least time consuming.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #129 on: 04 June 2014, 15:03:43 »
Next, I will work on desert terrain, that is hostile enough, with terraforming domes, lava pools and sand worms;)
Just another homeworld in the dominion.

Everyone here seen the "Tremor" movies? I'm envisioning a scenario where large mech-eating sand worms are hidden across the desert by a 3rd party or GM and when a unit moves onto the preselected hex, he becomes a tasty snack. Or, if no 3 party is available, each player secretly selects and write downs a number of hexes containing the worms and reveals the hex once a player moves onto the hex.

Whitar, I hope you're not getting over whelmed by the volume of ideas pouring in. I can only imagine how much work goes into making these awesome game pieces.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #130 on: 04 June 2014, 19:18:50 »
Thanks a lot for the input! That movie rocks)
Yeah, I collected so many ideas, that would be enough for a nice big setting. I'd like to devote more time to this project, but, you know, reality;-)

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #131 on: 05 June 2014, 15:32:55 »
I scanned through the rest of the thread to try and find an answer. I tried to print one of your mapsheets on my home printer, but it printed it as 1 page and the hexes are way too small. Is 1 mapsheet suppose to be printed on 2 pages? Anyone have any suggestions on how to print these on my home printer?
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #132 on: 05 June 2014, 16:37:39 »
Hello! Point, please, which sheet you were trying to print, cause some of them I posted only to show progress, and those were not scaled right. If you're printing the ones I put for download, make them full size, they are a standard A4 printer sheet.
Hope this helps, cheers!

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #133 on: 05 June 2014, 19:36:17 »
I downloaded the map pack and printed one of the map sheets as is without changing any settings onto a standard sheet of paper with a regular desktop printer. The map sheet didn't quite fill up he whole page and the hexes were about half the size they were suppose to be. I'd like to just print the maps off at home and glue them to thin foam board for stability. I haven't tried printing the token pieces yet but those look like they are already the right size.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #134 on: 06 June 2014, 09:42:57 »
That's strange.. The sheets are A4 size, no scaling required..Well, I can't help you till late September, sorry

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #135 on: 06 June 2014, 15:11:20 »
Ok Whitar, I have some numbers for you and I hope they help. I printed out one of the building token sheets and those hexes are the correct size, 30mm flat to flat. When I printed a map sheet it measures 17 hexes on the long edge. At 30 mm or 1.375 inches flat to flat, 17 hexes should fit on a paper 23.375 inches long. By those metrics, the map sheet would have to be printed on paper far larger in both length and width than a standard 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of printer paper. Unless someone from the community has an idea as to how I can enlarge, cut up the image, and print it on multiple sheets of paper as I am not very computer savy when it gomes to graphic editing, but I think the goal you were shooting for was to make each of the 4 sheets printable on one sheet of paper.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #136 on: 06 June 2014, 17:46:34 »
I understand the problem now..The big green maps should be printed on A2 sheets at least, that's no job for home printer, unless you want to divide the map into pieces. Better take the jpg files to nearest printing depot, for better quality and size

I should've marked the sheets with printing instructions, but forgot..I'll update later
« Last Edit: 06 June 2014, 17:51:28 by Whitar »

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #137 on: 16 September 2014, 09:43:55 »
I just made some Fire and Smoke tiles. Maybe someone can use them. They are far from Whitars quality but they do the job.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c935frskevyx762/AABhb2vpH-gB-yLyBkfb8j5oa?dl=0

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #138 on: 18 September 2014, 05:55:15 »
hm, since nobody seems interested I´m taking them down.

Jirikai

• Recruit
« Reply #139 on: 07 October 2014, 13:17:21 »
Awesome job on the maps, just wondering if you posted a newer version of the pack for download, since the one linked is dated Nov of '13...

(Longtime Battletech player, since my preteen years in the mid-to-late 1980s, and my 11 & 12 year-old kids are having fun learning how to play it now.)

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #140 on: 11 October 2014, 09:35:37 »
Thank you for interest! Unfortunately, the sheets are not updated yet, but contain all current pieces I made, maybe except rivers and additional counters..
I will continue working on the project in November

Here are some sketches for new map I have in mind, so I will keep myself busy during rainy weekends :) ;)

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #141 on: 12 October 2014, 10:43:49 »
VEry nice! I like that 4 hex bridge a lot.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #142 on: 14 October 2014, 06:44:06 »
Thanks! I have more, but I'll better post ready graphics when done
« Last Edit: 14 October 2014, 15:34:32 by Whitar »

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #143 on: 05 January 2015, 09:11:48 »
When will we see something new? :Jumpy:

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #144 on: 20 January 2015, 21:27:04 »
Hey, really sorry, but no more updates at the moment..

Frank Olson

• Corporal
« Reply #145 on: 22 February 2015, 16:34:28 »
What measurements are you guys using when printing your own hex-maps? I need to be very precise because after 20 hexes even half a millimeter gets the map off.

I'm trying to design some very simple hex fields and I'm using 33 mm width right now because after using 32 mm and cutting it out there was still some very small unfilled space when compared to an original Battletech map.

What is the VERY EXACT size of a hex on a battletech map? I guess the value given will be from the middle of the black lining around the hex .... I'm using scribus for this because I only had an Indesign licence for Mac.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #146 on: 23 February 2015, 08:14:56 »
That is 33mm, you're right
Good luck O0

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #147 on: 23 February 2015, 08:21:31 »
Also keep in mind that the line itself is 0,5 - 1mm thick.

Whitar

• Master Sergeant
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress
« Reply #148 on: 10 April 2015, 12:09:02 »
Hey guys!

Found some time to experiment with some terrain graphics) This time in 1:1200 scale, as should be on those BT hexes. I came up with this mud road through heavy woods, and enjoyed the result, finding a new way of laying down textures and vegetation. I think I got closer to the look of the map I imagined, and stay with this technique. The road is 5 mm wide, to represent 6m two car passage way, and everything's scaled accordingly
What do you think?

« Last Edit: 10 April 2015, 16:25:17 by Whitar »

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
Re: Terrain Hex Pack in progress
« Reply #149 on: 10 April 2015, 12:20:11 »
Outstanding!

Any chance on Mech scale on those hexes, too?

Register