Author Topic: Sun Goes Supernova What's Left  (Read 15512 times)

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
Re: Sun Goes Supernova What's Left
« Reply #30 on: 05 December 2013, 10:27:19 »

pfarland

• Captain
  • Star Captain Farland - 'Forever Faithful'
« Reply #31 on: 05 December 2013, 12:24:03 »
Very very informative Pfarland, insightful stuff!  As you said a sun just not wake up one day go 'You know what...screw you' *MICHALEBAYSPLOSION* in the build up to a nova or supernova a sun will go through a lot of fairly easily detectable turmoil, shedding outer layers, growing and probably flaring violently to boot, this is a process that takes a very long time and if a sun was already at that stage it would pritty much be a no go for anyone trying to colonise it due to radiation and the crap being thrown off the sun as it sheds outer layers. 

The only bit that's blindingly fast is when the core collapses, that takes a millisecond (thereabouts) and then its a few seconds for the sun to realize its core is gone and it blows itself apart as the implosion at the core reaches the surface and blows the star apart.

I doubt the supernova would be that bad yes it would probably be unpleasant for systems within about 10 light years as they are now part of a nebulae but that will still take a massive amount of time for that dust to spread out.  Unless it happened in a densely clustered group of systems a Supernova would be more a troublesome but amazing to watch event rather than some Inner Sphere destroying event.  A Hypernova however...

Thank you!  And yes you would know when said star was getting close (at least in stellar time).  We can tell from here when some stars are getting close to dieing.  And while yes, the collapse itself is VERY quick, the explosion take a while to propagate through the star.  We know this from the burst of neutrinos we get a couple of hours ahead of the light from a supernova.

Hypernovea are more powerful, but mostly to the upper end of the spectrum, Gamma and X-rays.  Somewhere up to a maximum of about 100 times.  Realistically, this still wouldn't be that much of an issue, but hypers are believed to leave singularities.  And if the pole of that black hole is aligned with any inhabited systems, well kiss them goodbye once the focused gamma rays reach it.  And THAT WILL travel quite far before dispersing enough to become non-dangerous.

pfarland, I have two questions and please forgive my ignorance:

1. Assuming the "jump" is a kind of exchange of matter, would it matter how large "bubble" the K-F drive creates around it? Would the diameter of this "bubble" be able to determine whether the jump destination ( the star) is about to change to supernova or not?

2. Assuming Your "exchange of matter" logic (and I perfectly understand this is pure fantasy speculation here), what do You think would happen on the other side of the jump (initial jumping point)? Is it possible that the energy, or some chunk of star's core, would materialize there?

Actually those are good questions and not ignorant in the least bit.  I assumed (and we know how THAT always turns out, lol) that a jump was an envelope around the ship as opposed to a bubble.  It would certainly change the details of my story a bit, but the outcome would be close to the same.  A larger 'bubble' would just cause greater instability and a more dynamic implosion-explosion event.  As for number two, if it is a "matter swap" (I can't see it being anything else but), you would end up with a VERY small, EXTREMELY brief star at the origin point of the jump.  Fusion would stop almost instantaneously and you would have a nice little micro nebula expand outward.  It would be a very pretty site really.

We've no real idea on how big the jump bubble of a jumpship is, the only real hint is when the Ancestral Home destroyed a Leviathan Prime by engaging its jump drive or doing something with it.  The jump bubble from that flattened the Home and crushed and tore the front off the Leviathan as it collapsed and they were not quite in spitting range, so if it was that big a bubble of several thousand kilometers..well Mr Pfarland knows more about this than I ever could..but I'd assume it would be supremely bad.  If it was the size of the ship then less so but still probably along the lines of what our learned colleague said.

And going of Mr Pfarland's idea of a matter swap (which makes sense) then dumping something on the order of a few million tonnes of stellar plasma in cold space would i'd assume have little effect, it might flood local space with a blast of radiation but i'd assume it would cool and dissipate rather than do something nasty.

Several thousand kilometers would be a quite nasty event to do to a star, at that point I would be betting on a supernova event as the entire star (if you did it to one small than a giant) destabilized.  And yes you would have a quick blast of radiation (not much, but certainly detectable) and the above scenario. 

Anything is possible given that K-F field physics is fictional.  But practically, a jumpship's K-F field is miniscule compared to a stellar core.  We would need to erect millions, maybe billions, of jumpship-sized K-F fields at the same time to induce anything approaching a nova-like effect on a star.

There are easier ways to exterminate a planet.

It's some fraction of 27 kilometers, which is the exclusion zone for an entering jumpship, IIRC.

Again, that's puny compared to a stellar core.  The Sun's core has a diameter of ~280,000 kilometers, or 10,000x larger.  A red-/blue-giant star near collapse will have a much larger core than that.

Size wise, yes, the drive 'field' is even smaller than minuscule compared to the size of a star.  Just the after effects of the jump into it could end up with a much greater affect than it's initial size would imply.  For all intents and purposes a star has 'weather' inside it with colder stuff falling and hotter stuff rising, convection currents.  All this would be disrupted in a sizable area as the shock wave propagated through the star.  The immediate effects of this would be iffy.  You might range anywhere from nothing, to the star momentarily flickering in it's fusion processes, to a nova event.  And really if you were shooting for the most 'bang' for your buck the core might not be the best bet to make the jump.  Depending on the size and type of star, you would want to hit either the core or the convective zone.  Also a larger star usually has more instability to it, so while your 'area of effect' is percentage wise smaller, it would most likely have greater impact on the star.

And yes, there are MUCH easier (and cheaper) ways to exterminate a planet.  I'll go into that in a follow up post.

One planet yes, but I understood the possibilities here are to exterminate several star systems. That kind of outcome would justify the investments... ;)

Really, even if you caused a supernova, you might at best affect 4 to 5 other systems.  (Ignoring the chance for an aligned singularity with a good accretion disk.)  Even then, the Gamma ray wave still travels only a light speed and you would give people somewhere around 4 years to figure out what you did and to prepare.  As I said above, you want to kill off mass numbers of people, I'll explain it in the follow up.

I doubt a star would react kindly to having (at least) a 27 km square bubble of stellar matter torn from it, thats got to be on the order of several billion cubic tonnes of matter replaced with cold vaccume all of a sudden.  We'd get Pfarland's implosion/explosion on a worryingly large scale as he worked it out on just the volume of the ship being displaced so if you ripped a 27km wide sphere of stellar plasma out of a sun its not going to shrug it off.  its likely to do the solar equivalent of throwing a screaming raging fit.

A lot closer to dynamite fishing!  If you want an idea of what will happen in the jump location, look at what happens when you drop something frozen into a deep fat fryer or something hot into a container of liquid nitrogen.  And then toss an implosion-explosion event into the mix.  Comparatively the area is small next to the size of a star, but the effects will be massive.  Whether they would be massive enough, well, I'm unsure of that. 

Depending on the size/type of star and where you jumped into it would make all the difference.  If the jump is enough to cause an event, your best shot would most likely be the core.  This is where (for most stars) the fusion is taking place and would have the most impact on the star's 'life'.  If the jump is not enough to cause a SN, your best bet would be to jump into the convection zone (again, for most stars).  This would most likely cause the universe's largest coronal mass ejection and flare event ever.  In a high tech and populated system, this would be catastrophic in completely different ways.  Almost certainly creating one massive EMP pulse and pretty much killing anything technological in the whole system.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #32 on: 05 December 2013, 12:56:59 »
So you say you want to kill off whole planets?  (otherwise known as:  The Wobbies are idiots)

The flashy, nasty way. 

1. Take some old aerospace fighters, strip out all the extraneous stuff you don't need (which will be most of it), and outfit it with a small guidance computer, and a LOT of fuel.

2. Jump into the system you want to kill as quietly as possible and release your ASF's.  Preferably spread them out some.  Start them up and have them burn off most (leaving just a small amount for course corrections) of their fuel and head toward the planet you want to die.

3. Jump out and repeat as necessary. 

Effects:  The ASF's will accelerate gaining quite a bit of speed before the stop their acceleration.  If you started them up far enough out, yes it will take some time before the get to the planet (months to years), but you wouldn't need but a few to wipe out a whole planet.  These things will be moving FAST and the energy of a moving object increases with the square of the velocity, they will pack QUITE a punch.  The issue with this way is it is SLOW.  But given a large organization and some time, you could set this up (by having the ASF's on a timer) to complete a mass attack at the same time.  Logistically it would be a nightmare, but militarily would be ultra effective.

The slick and expensive way.

1.  You need to gather a team of infectious disease doctors with no morals what so ever.  Have them create/manipulate a disease to wipe out the planets you want dead.

2.  The disease you want has to be airborne, very infectious, not cross contagious, and not live more than a week or so outside of a host.

3.  Now that you have your killer super flu, load it up into spheres.  You want the spheres to be able to survive a long fall, so maybe have a chute on them.

4.  Load up the death spheres into some ASF, and start making the rounds of the systems you want to die.  Launch your ASF's, drop the spheres onto the cities of said planet and then (if any ASF's lived) pick them up and skedaddle.

Effects:  Someone is bound to be near one of the spheres when it cracks open upon landing.  Probably a few someones, but all it takes is just one.  If you made your disease right, you will end up with a nice open planet to settle that still has most of it's technology available.  Problem is, if you want to kill off multiple planets you need to work QUICK.  Word will get out and everyone will know better and what to do when you show up.
Rule number 4 of product design*: "The concept of 'Intended Use' never survives initial contact with the end user." - Feign

"It should come to no surprise that this forum loves solving problems with war crimes. " - SteelRaven

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
« Reply #33 on: 05 December 2013, 15:39:48 »
One planet yes, but I understood the possibilities here are to exterminate several star systems.

Without more than one inhabited planet in the system, no.  Unless they're of a very specific and extremely rare type and pointed in the right direction, stellar novas don't affect planets in other systems.

I doubt a star would react kindly to having (at least) a 27 km square bubble of stellar matter torn from it, thats got to be on the order of several billion cubic tonnes of matter replaced with cold vaccume all of a sudden.

K-F fields as written can't "tear" dense matter (stellar or otherwise) and replace it with a "vaccume" [sic].  A K-F field turns very thinly distributed dust particles into infrared radiation before a jumpship arrives inbound and that's it.  Anything denser and the K-F field fails.  (Otherwise, the K-F field is effectively a disintegration ray, and if K-F fields were effectively disintegration rays, they would have been weaponized in that fashion a long time ago.)

Even if a K-F field could vaporize lots of matter, a star is not going to notice a 27km sphere of vacuum.  Stars are enormous.  Our Sun spits out solar flares and prominences (basically big plasma leaks from a temporary defect in the Sun's magnetic field) all the time that are 30x times larger than Earth and the Earth is over 12,700km in diameter.

http://www.universetoday.com/88013/how-big-are-solar-flares/

A normal, everyday, stellar explosion on a normal, everyday star is almost 400,000km in diameter. It wouldn't be impacted in the least by the sudden appearance of a 27km hole in the plasma.

And that's normal, everyday stellar explosions.  A star that is ready to go nova dwarfs our Sun, and an actual nova implosion is incomprehensible compared to a flare or prominence.  The scales are just too different.  There will be no noticeable effect at the scale of the star or nova from a jumpship-sized K-F field.

Size wise, yes, the drive 'field' is even smaller than minuscule compared to the size of a star.  Just the after effects of the jump into it could end up with a much greater affect than it's initial size would imply...  All this would be disrupted in a sizable area as the shock wave propagated through the star.  The immediate effects of this would be iffy.  You might range anywhere from nothing, to the star momentarily flickering in it's fusion processes, to a nova event.

No, it wouldn't.  A star is just too big compared to a jumpship's K-F field.  It's like comparing a minnow to an ocean.  Or a fly to an atmosphere.

For all intents and purposes a star has 'weather' inside it with colder stuff falling and hotter stuff rising, convection currents.

This is getting goofy.  Your sense of astronomical scale is way off.  I can vaporize a bazillion flies with a laser and never create an instantaneous hurricane.  I can remotely detonate and implode a bazillion minnows and the oceans will never boil.

Unless you make up some runaway effect inside a star from the physics of a K-F field, merely creating a teeny-tiny (from the star's perspective) sphere of vacuum inside it (whether by a K-F field or magically snapping my fingers) will create no discernible effect at the scale of the star.  It's like vaporizing a pinhead's worth of your stomach acid.  You're not going to notice it and neither will anyone else.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #34 on: 05 December 2013, 16:45:50 »
Interesting stuff I'm not too bothered about killing a star just wondering what happens when one goes boom.

Expanding on that say an uninhabited star system experiances the big boom (standard supernova 'small' scale)

It's within 10 Ly of an inhabited system and is used as a charge point to go somewhere else so people notice it

Would the inhabited system feel any effects theoretically?  And how long would it take anyone to notice any effects?

I want to play about with a different kind of change not just a plain human I can and will kill whatever I want.  Not even bothered really with kill count just what could/would (theory) happen

If there's a kill count to be had... That still works this is BattleTech after all
« Last Edit: 05 December 2013, 16:48:23 by Dragon Cat »
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 05 December 2013, 17:08:52 »
Expanding on that say an uninhabited star system experiances the big boom (standard supernova 'small' scale)

It's within 10 Ly of an inhabited system and is used as a charge point to go somewhere else so people notice it

Would the inhabited system feel any effects theoretically?

Other than a pretty light show and the loss of that charging point, no.

And how long would it take anyone to notice any effects?

At least ten years, minus anyone jumping to the uninhabited charging point.  It take ten years for particles moving at the speed of light to cover ten light-years.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."

guardiandashi

• Major
« Reply #36 on: 05 December 2013, 17:15:01 »
my understanding is that while some things can cause a star to be "tempermental" it takes a lot to really upset one.

running a planet into one ... most likely not significant unless it somehow "poisons" the ongoing reactions

dropping a quantity of antimatter onto /into it again not real significant (unless the amount of antimatter was huge as in tons not grams/kilograms)

jumping a jumpship in not going to happen (or be significant) trying to use a potato gun or a cannon to put an egg in a frypan on the stove without breaking it.... by shooting it through a closed window/wall

agree with the suggestion that swapping even a few km worth of mass is likely to have any significant effect.

now one that I read about (in a scifi novel) that DID do "bad things" to a star was to take a ship, and run it through a star at near light speed using a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive caused a compression wave through the star that caused a nova effect (not a super nova) where it shot a big chunk of its mass like an enormous flare
then there was the star wars suncrusher weapon and its resonance torpedos but ...

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #37 on: 05 December 2013, 17:28:16 »
Other than a pretty light show and the loss of that charging point, no.

At least ten years, minus anyone jumping to the uninhabited charging point.  It take ten years for particles moving at the speed of light to cover ten light-years.

Disappointing  ;D how close you think it'd have to be to make a change?  It is uninhabited so not on a map so it technically could be anywhere...  >:D
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
« Reply #38 on: 06 December 2013, 00:21:20 »
Disappointing  ;D how close you think it'd have to be to make a change?  It is uninhabited so not on a map so it technically could be anywhere...  >:D

You'd have to be on a planet practically in the same system (light-year or less) as the nova to ensure catastrophic or even noticeable effects.  One way to do that without having the inhabited planet flung out of the system is to make the nova part of a very loosely held binary system, where the inhabited planet is orbiting close to the stable star and the nova goes off somewhere out in the stable star's Oort Cloud (about a light-year or less away).  Another way to do it is coincidence -- stars are always moving relative to each other and some do get close -- so maybe the nova went off while it happened to be on its closest approach to the planet's parent star (again, maybe a light-year or less away).  Finally, there are multiple star clusters with habitable planets throughout the Inner Sphere and Periphery.  Although typically composed of young stars, clusters may put stars in relative proximity to one another (again, sizable fractions of a light-year), and maybe one old star captured by the cluster is about to go nova in proximity to the parent star of your inhabited planet.

Some researchers think that gamma rays from common supernova going off within ~30 light-years of Earth may thin the Earth's ozone layer about once every ~250 million years.  But the geological evidence so far isn't consistent with those calculations.  More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near-Earth_supernova

Moreover, this is hardly the doomsday or even noticeable scenario you're looking for.  Not to diminish its potential future impact, but we've had a decades-long, human-induced, ozone "hole" over the Antarctic and not even the penguins seem to be affected.

As I think other folks have already mentioned, a minority of researchers (who are probably wrong) believe the Earth's Ordivician-Silurian extinction event was caused by a gamma-ray burst (GRB) from an extremely rare hypernova.  If aimed right, a GRB could strip a planet of its ozone layer from up to ~5,000 light years away.  That will expose an Earth-like ecosystem to dangerous UV rays from its parent star for an extended period, forcing mass extinctions and ending civilization-as-you-know-it over a period of years.  More here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordovician-Silurian_extinction_events#Gamma_ray_burst_hypothesis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypernova

But this isn't the localized scenario you're looking for -- if a GRB went off near/inside the Inner Sphere, it would take out an entire cone (triangle?) or two of systems stretching across the Inner Sphere, with the narrow end(s) originating at the hypernova.

Hope this (at least the first paragraph) helps.  If not, just resort to handwavium.  Worse obviously wrong physics have been visited upon the BT universe.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #39 on: 06 December 2013, 05:56:26 »
pfarland, I have two questions and please forgive my ignorance:

1. Assuming the "jump" is a kind of exchange of matter, would it matter how large "bubble" the K-F drive creates around it? Would the diameter of this "bubble" be able to determine whether the jump destination ( the star) is about to change to supernova or not?

Jumps don't exchange matter. They try to annihilate some mass at the destination point so the arriving ship isn't riddled with space dust but, as noted in StratOps, there's a very low "choke point" on the process.

Effects:  The ASF's will accelerate gaining quite a bit of speed before the stop their acceleration.  If you started them up far enough out, yes it will take some time before the get to the planet (months to years)

Aerospace fighters will run out of fuel in hours, even with lots of supplemental tanks. They just don't have the strategic fuel mode of small craft and DropShips that make sustained accelerations possible. (Obviously: substitute a small, cheap DropShip.)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #40 on: 06 December 2013, 12:53:08 »
Jumps don't exchange matter. They try to annihilate some mass at the destination point (...)

From the perspective of a star's core, would that make a difference?

Also, if the energy required for a jump would be partially used to annihilate mass at destination point, wouldn't the jump to a point with significant mass simply fail (as in: no jump at all), and the K-F drive would be depleted of energy, unable to annihilate such hige amount of mass?

(these are not meant to be picky, it's simply interesting).
« Last Edit: 06 December 2013, 12:55:44 by Kret69 »

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 06 December 2013, 13:26:44 »
From the perspective of a star's core, would that make a difference?

From the perspective of the star, removing 27 cubic km of mass is irrelevant. It's like asking if you can feel a single cell die, except it's massively smaller than a cell, compared to the size of the sun. A star wouldn't care one tiny little bit if you jumped every jumpship that's ever existed in BT straight in to it. Feed it whole planets if you want to see change.
But since JumpShips don't swap mass between destination and origin, the consequences are even less than that.

Also, if the energy required for a jump would be partially used to annihilate mass at destination point,

Cray's suggesting (I think) that the jump vessel would be completely unable to do anything of consequence to the sun. It's like asking a midget to lift a building.
If I'm presuming correctly, I totally agree. The JS will do a big pile of irrelevance when it tries to annihilate mass at the destination.

wouldn't the jump to a point with significant mass simply fail (as in: no jump at all), and the K-F drive would be depleted of energy, unable to annihilate such hige amount of mass?

Yep. But presuming you disable the safeties that are involved somehow, you'd still be left with a misjump, most likely.

Paul
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #42 on: 06 December 2013, 22:11:12 »
Maybe not a SINGLE Jumpship, but;
How about a dozen Ryan Cartel Iceships?
And fully laden with ice! >:D

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #43 on: 06 December 2013, 22:13:42 »
Maybe not a SINGLE Jumpship, but;
How about a dozen Ryan Cartel Iceships?
And fully laden with ice! >:D

Still irrelevant. You're not grasping how truly big a star is. Bring a hundred ryan cartel style ships and its still meaningless, like throwing an ice cube in a volcano.

Ryumyo

• Warrant Officer
  • Out site seeing...
« Reply #44 on: 06 December 2013, 22:26:01 »
Figure it was worth as shot at least.
But you're correct on the star size aspect. 

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 06 December 2013, 23:05:10 »
Obviously a moot point because the jumpships just wouldn't work.  But really it isn't a matter of the size.  Yes they are infinitesimal compared to the star, but it would be the effects caused by the sudden missing matter.  The implosion and the resulting explosion would cause some nasty shock waves.  If you want a closer comparison look at explosions under water.  Much more effective that in air.  And as the pressure increases the shock wave actually becomes stronger.  Couple that with the effects of shock waves in high temperature/high pressure plasmas, well we are starting to have some issues.  Certainly enough to disrupt a portion (how big is the question) of the star and whether that disturbance would propagate or be subsumed.  My thoughts are it would most likely just cause a nasty flare event and a wicked coronal mass ejection. 

As for launching ASFs, yes I know fuel is limited.  That's not the point, you have a program to leave just a bit for course correction and you're set.  You want them dark (i.e. not using their engines near the planet).  In space it doesn't matter that the fuel has run out.  Once you have that velocity gain, you don't lose it, there is no atmosphere nor any real gravity to slow them down (heck, you could probably use an outlying planet to slingshot).  And yes, a dropship would be more effective, but also much more likely to be spotted and easier to intercept.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #46 on: 06 December 2013, 23:10:16 »
My thoughts are it would most likely just cause a nasty flare event and a wicked coronal mass ejection. 

I'd use "puny" and "insignificant" instead of "nasty" and "wicked". The scale is just too far off. Multiple orders of magnitude. Heck, it's probable that it's not even possible to measure the consequence of the attempt even if KF drives did permit you to transport a 27km sphere out of the sun. That's like a bunny fart in a hurricane.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 07 December 2013, 00:18:35 »
I just see it causing a propagating disturbance in the wave function of the star.  My asteroseismology isn't up to par, but I know it would have an effect.  Stars have rhythms and you are doing something that will disturb those rhythms.  I know it is a very small thing compared to the star itself, but if it's enough to disrupt the natural wave function of the star it won't be just tossing a stone into the ocean.

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: 07 December 2013, 00:41:47 »
This may be interesting and put just how little a jumpship annihilating it's equivalent mass in a star would do.

http://www.scalesolarsystem.66ghz.com/close.html

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: 07 December 2013, 01:58:15 »
Again, it's not the size of the 'incident'.  It's the effects afterwards.  That like saying "A nuke is small, I can fit the warhead in a cargo van."

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #50 on: 07 December 2013, 02:00:19 »
This may be interesting and put just how little a jumpship annihilating it's equivalent mass in a star would do.

http://www.scalesolarsystem.66ghz.com/close.html

Nice page. And yeah, even a 27km sphere of the sun's material, compressed by its gravity is still a completely irrelevant amount of mass.

I just see it causing a propagating disturbance in the wave function of the star.  My asteroseismology isn't up to par, but I know it would have an effect.  Stars have rhythms and you are doing something that will disturb those rhythms.  I know it is a very small thing compared to the star itself, but if it's enough to disrupt the natural wave function of the star it won't be just tossing a stone into the ocean.

I completely disagree. What you're proposing is exactly like throwing a stone in the ocean and expecting the ocean to form a geyser. Though your stone is actually but a grain of salt.
You can chuck a whole planet in to the sun and it won't make much difference. You might notice something if you throw one of the gas giants in.

evilauthor

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 07 December 2013, 02:03:08 »

Congratulations. Your KF Jump into a star caused a small solar flare... maybe. How do you distinguish a flare created by a jumpship from one that was created through the star's regular reactions? It's like setting off a fire cracker at the bottom of the Marianas Trench and expecting to see ripples from the explosion on the ocean's surface.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #52 on: 07 December 2013, 02:59:14 »
How do you distinguish a flare created by a jumpship from one that was created through the star's regular reactions?
"Hey look Marvin, that little flare's got some wicked metallic spectrum lines.  Wonder what happ...oohhhhh.  Poor bastards."
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

tapdancingbeavers

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #53 on: 07 December 2013, 04:44:37 »
Again, it's not the size of the 'incident'.  It's the effects afterwards.  That like saying "A nuke is small, I can fit the warhead in a cargo van."

Using that example what has been the effects of underground nuclear detonations on the scale of the Earth, has it caused any volcanoes to erupt or earthquakes (i mean what the lay-person would class as one)?  Now imagine a nuke that causes the earth to eject part of itself into space.  There simply isn't enough energy in the mass and i'm really skeptical the Sun's magnetism is on that much of a knife edge or that a tiny amount of mass could cause such a positive feedback loop.

"Hey look Marvin, that little flare's got some wicked metallic spectrum lines.  Wonder what happ...oohhhhh.  Poor bastards."

Given how long it takes light to go from inside the Sun to its surface i wouldn't have thought you'd pick it out anytime soon and that's assuming you can get rid of all the noise in the data there is going to be.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2013, 04:47:22 by tapdancingbeavers »

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: 07 December 2013, 05:34:57 »
I wonder if supernova blast could smash a life on planets in nearby star system. Lets say if star blown off and there are two habitable systems just 5 and 10 light years away. After 5 years the first world become a wrecked mess, since it was standing on the way of impact from the blast for 3-4 months. It's population could survive for a time and send a warning to another system: you got 5 years to get the hell out of there.

Do you believe this scenario is possible?
« Last Edit: 07 December 2013, 05:36:44 by SeeM »
(+)

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #55 on: 07 December 2013, 10:09:36 »
I love this kind of threads, were you see some real physics thrown among our lovely sci-fy physics. And also, with all the talk about exploding suns, and relativisti kill-weapons and super virus makes me feel a little like Ming the Merciless.  ;D
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 07 December 2013, 11:13:36 »
I wonder if supernova blast could smash a life on planets in nearby star system. Lets say if star blown off and there are two habitable systems just 5 and 10 light years away. After 5 years the first world become a wrecked mess, since it was standing on the way of impact from the blast for 3-4 months. It's population could survive for a time and send a warning to another system: you got 5 years to get the hell out of there.

Do you believe this scenario is possible?

The 'blast' itself only travels at about 10% C.  The blast (i.e. the materiel of the star itself) would take about 50 years to get to the first system.  Now the first effects, would be the neutrinos and the light wave would arrive in 5.  That close the gamma rays would be a serious problem, though it would really depend on what type of supernova it was and the planet itself to have an idea on it's effects.  The most serious effect of the gamma rays would be damaging/destroying the planets ozone layer and likely bathing the surface.

SeeM

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #57 on: 07 December 2013, 11:26:03 »
The 'blast' itself only travels at about 10% C.  The blast (i.e. the materiel of the star itself) would take about 50 years to get to the first system.  Now the first effects, would be the neutrinos and the light wave would arrive in 5.  That close the gamma rays would be a serious problem, though it would really depend on what type of supernova it was and the planet itself to have an idea on it's effects.  The most serious effect of the gamma rays would be damaging/destroying the planets ozone layer and likely bathing the surface.

That's why I asked here. :) Thanks for clarification.
(+)

pfarland

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: 07 December 2013, 11:52:40 »
Not a problem!

Prince of Darkness

• Lieutenant
« Reply #59 on: 07 December 2013, 12:04:41 »

Even with a vacuum, unless we are talking of a GRB the rays would probably be far too spread out to cause much of an issue.

Would the planet have another sun at night?  Ohhhhh yes.  But space is massive, and us puny humans legitimately lack the brainpower to even consider the scales that we are talking about.
Cowdragon:
I'm going to type up your response, print it, fold it in half, and look at it like a I would a centerfold. THAT's how sexy your answer was.