Author Topic: PPCs in MWO  (Read 2874 times)

Alan Grant

• Captain
PPCs in MWO
« on: 06 February 2014, 16:47:08 »
I haven't followed all the weapon developments/changes/nerfing/buffing in MWO precisely. I do know that opinions about PPCs and ER PPCs seem to vary quite a bit.

I'm wondering if we can pin down when loading up on PPCs is a good idea, and when it isn't. And how people feel about PPCs vs ER PPCs.

I am familiar with the individual weapons "stats", as well as the effect on ECM. I'm talking more about the efficiency of these weapons (compared to say, other energy weapons) and how well or badly they pair up with other weapon systems.

I'm particularly interested in this right now because I have a Protector. I'm considering putting a PPC or ER PPC in each arm and then maybe an AC or two in the torso. An almost Marauder-like build. Don't know if its a good idea. Its just a thought.
« Last Edit: 06 February 2014, 16:49:16 by Alan Grant »

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: PPCs in MWO
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2014, 17:05:52 »
If I may something as a person who sometimes run CPLT-K2 with PPCs against better judgement of some more skilled players:
"This is not a good idea."

I am afraid that with two PPCs you would need so many Double Heat Sinks that you would run out of internal space (even if I count one or two internal engine heat sinks). Especially if I count with the fact that the right torso will be completely or partially filled with Autocannon(s). And AMS+ammo. And Autocannon ammo (at least two or three ton/slots).

And ER PPCs? Forget it, they run pretty hot.

My personal experience shows that the best energy weapons for Orion are standard Medium or Large Lasers (or ER Large Lasers if you need some ranged weapon's).

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2014, 18:46:39 »
I'm warming up to basic PPCs. I really am. Problem is; the Orion is not a sniper, with it's low arms and ample torso pod space. I mean, it can work, but it's not ideal. Even one ERPPC runs too hot for my tastes, and does not do enough damage alone. Maybe coupled with a Gauss, but then your firing solutions are completely different. So, that's out. I just avoid ER PPCs altogether.   

You want to go with a pair of reg. Large lasers, or ER Large. These are very versatile weapons that will do well on your multi-fighter Protector.

If you're absolutely stuck on sniping. you could configure the right side of the mech for sniping. Go with one basic PPC in the right arm. And my "ghetto Gauss" solution in the right torso-- AC10 + AC5 (group fire). This way you can stand behind cover and snipe with a smaller portion of your chassis being exposed. Slap a pair of meds in your left arm and left torso for close work. Maybe even an SRM if you have the room.     

Fatebringer

• Major
  • 138th Mechanized Infantry The Chicago Division
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2014, 14:08:48 »
Problem is; the Orion is not a sniper, with it's low arms and ample torso pod space.

It's not? :P I always thought of mine as a good long ranged mech :) ERLL and 2 AC5's do a lot of damage over time because you don't really have to worry about heat with that set up. I have them all torso mounted so they're up a little higher than the arms. Those are the sniping weapons, throw in my LRM 15 w/ Artemis and it's a good ranged mech.

Close work is the paired AC5's and Paired arm mounted ER meds.

Star Captain Jared Siegel ~ Clan Snow Raven Forum
"If every mech was built like in MWO, we'd all be carrying ammo in our feet..."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2014, 14:11:16 »
ideally a sniper would want weapons mounted higher on the body so it can go 'hull down' behind terrain for protection. blackjacks are a great example.. you can pretty much poke those AC's out and the only thing the enemy can see is the guns and a bit of the upper most torso.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2014, 16:05:30 »
I thought of my Orion/Protector as more of a sniper primarily because of its relatively low speed. The logic being "If you can't run to the enemy, loadout weapons that can reach out and touch them." I adopted that philosophy with my Hunchback, loaded a Gauss Rifle, and usually do very well.

But... I'm seeing some good points here. Starting to think more about a mid-range loadout with some good "alpha strike" potential. I still do want to make use of those arms. I feel like I keep getting nailed severely in the torso and I tend to lose those torso-mounted weapons fast while my mech's arms remain untouched.

Plus...those arms just look big, I dunno, I feel like there should be a big weapon in each of them and not just a med laser.

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2014, 16:15:49 »
Plus...those arms just look big, I dunno, I feel like there should be a big weapon in each of them and not just a med laser.

They are home to mediums in the TT.

That aside, I do agree with you. Make it a sniper already, and prove me wrong. Like Fatebringer...  ^-^

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2014, 08:21:12 »
I don't know if you have noticed, but in the new system of Modules every weapon has got one Module that increases its range - with the exception of PPCs and ER PPCs ...

It seems that my favorite weapons are becoming the stepchild of MWO weapons - nobody likes them and the PGI does everything it can to nerf and sideline them.

Spheroid

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 08 February 2014, 14:29:17 »
I just ran your proposed setup on an Orion-V.

Using a 300XL + 2x AC-5 + 2x PPC seemed way too hot. 

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 08 February 2014, 18:42:53 »
Right now I'm running 2 Large Lasers and 2 SRM-6s with Artemis. Plus as many Double Heat Sinks as I could pack in there and a BAP. With all the DHS I can fire the lasers almost continuously on all but the hottest maps, and the SRMs are good for crit seeking and shaking the other guy's nerves along with his cockpit.

A little light on pure alpha firepower, but what I said earlier seems to hold true. While everyone is punching holes in my torso and knocking out components (like DHS) in my right and left torso, the arms stay intact. I have never lost both arms and both lasers before engine destruction.

Its not my favorite mech but I'm enjoying it more than I did driving the stock configuration and loadout.

Still tempted to put an AC or 2 in the torso instead of the SRMs. We'll see. I used the SRM-6s because the mech already had Artemis installed and I already had a couple of SRM launchers in inventory. Trying to save C-Bills by using what I already have in inventory.

martian

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 09 February 2014, 01:37:12 »
Still tempted to put an AC or 2 in the torso instead of the SRMs. We'll see. I used the SRM-6s because the mech already had Artemis installed and I already had a couple of SRM launchers in inventory. Trying to save C-Bills by using what I already have in inventory.
I tested it and while the 'Mech runs relatively cool when sniping, in high intensity fight the 'Mech is soon quite hot and I fire AC mostly, with occassional PPC shot here and there. But the damage output is low then.