Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 139448 times)

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #1470 on: 03 September 2016, 08:19:01 »
OI.  I liked the last airbender.  I feel it was a pity though that the sequels were done in cartoon only..  I would have LOVED to see a RL sequel.

Though i do note, reading his IMDB page, he has had a role in many of his films....

You realize that the film is actually a semi-attempt of adapting the first season of the A:TLAB animated series, right? (and barely passable at best...)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1471 on: 03 September 2016, 10:19:03 »
I'm pretty sure that that statement was a sarcastic denial of the existence of the Last Airbender live action movie.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1472 on: 03 September 2016, 15:40:15 »
You realize that the film is actually a semi-attempt of adapting the first season of the A:TLAB animated series, right? (and barely passable at best...)

I only heard of the cartoon AFTER the film.   So to me, the film came first. O0  Thats my story and i am sticking to it.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1473 on: 03 September 2016, 22:54:18 »
The one from the 80s. Dunno if i want to see the prequel from 2011.

The one from the 80s is well done.  Calm, quiet suspense.  They had to make the prequel fit what was shown in the 80s movie, so the critter in the prequel is more active/vicious.  Thus why the Thing in the 80s movie is much more careful/strategic.

As an example, after the CPR scene (you'll know it), notice who spots the part getting away.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #1474 on: 03 September 2016, 23:37:40 »
"St. Vincent" (2014) - Bill Murray, Melissa McCarthy, Naomi Watts. Bit of a slow starter, but, man...excellent movie. Have tissues handy.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1475 on: 06 September 2016, 09:10:05 »
Yes.  He directed After Earth, that silly Will Smith movie from 2013 and The Visit which came out in 2015.  And he's got a new film called Split coming out next year.  He hasn't quite hit Uwe Boll levels of rock bottom, apparently.

He supposedly directed it as a favor to Will Smith after being personally contacted.  That being said, still terrible.  But, i really don't believe you could wring a good movie out of that cast or script.  He needs to own it, but not like the movies he wrote and directed.

I watched 47 Ronin over the weekend.  Wow.  Just, wow.  What a mess of a picture.  The only redeeming part of the film was some of the costume design.  Everything was over the top, including the costumes.  But, i like it when Samurai films throw a bit of their budget into some proper armor and banners.  I'm still completely stumped as to why they thought casting Japanese actors with heavily accented English was a good idea when other characters had North American accents.  This sort of thing drives me nuts with British accents mixing with North American.

I'm going to rewatch Pacific Rim (2013) tonight @8PM on TNT.

I think i caught the same showing.  They changed the Hansons' goodbye scene, one of my favorite, ever. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1476 on: 06 September 2016, 10:20:57 »
I thought there was something different in this showing.

I'm going to watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier tonight @7PM on FX.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1477 on: 06 September 2016, 15:09:21 »
Change of plans, I'll watch Captain America: The Winter Soldier Wednesday @7PM on FX.

Tonight, I'm going to the local theater to watch Ghostbusters (2016) because I haven't seen it yet and it's $5 Tuesday.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1478 on: 06 September 2016, 18:46:45 »
Trying to set aside a few hours for Once Upon a Time in the West (Netflix disc) is proving to be a little difficult, but we'll get there. The end of the month is going to be rough: Sep 23rd--Longmire, Sep 30th--Luke Cage, Oct 7th--The Ranch (s1 pt2). Prepare for Netflix binge.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1479 on: 06 September 2016, 18:58:11 »
Trying to set aside a few hours for Once Upon a Time in the West (Netflix disc) is proving to be a little difficult, but we'll get there. The end of the month is going to be rough: Sep 23rd--Longmire, Sep 30th--Luke Cage, Oct 7th--The Ranch (s1 pt2). Prepare for Netflix binge.
once upon a time in a west is a great flick...i seem to recall it was part of trilogy?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #1480 on: 06 September 2016, 21:09:01 »
once upon a time in a west is a great flick...i seem to recall it was part of trilogy?
I wasn't aware of that.  Looking it up, it appears to be a trilogy in name only? (No common characters, etc.)

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #1481 on: 07 September 2016, 19:38:22 »
More a trilogy of tone than of characters, and as much to differentiate it from the style he used in the "Man With No Name (Even Though He Has A Name And Is Most Likely A Different Person In Each Movie) Trilogy."

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1482 on: 07 September 2016, 23:11:35 »
Just got done watching Hard Target 2, with our favorite baddie, Robert Knepper and Scott Adkins..
Bout as good as i was anticipating, but i wonder how our supposed hero (scott's character) went from just being a bad ass in the ring, to also a bad ass with guns, boats and such..

Also, does anyone know if Knepper has EVER played a good guy outside of what i heard he did in the TV show Prison break??

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #1483 on: 08 September 2016, 05:58:02 »
It's a miniseries, but I've been watching Harley and the Davidsons on Discovery this week.

I don't know how close to real life it is, but they do a good job of showing early motorcycle culture.
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1484 on: 09 September 2016, 22:45:18 »
Just saw a special viewing of Blazing Saddles.  What a funny movie, considering it came out when i was a mere toddler. Having my wife had never seen the movie ever, made going to see it on the silver screen was a treat. We had gone to watch it at a local dinner/movie theater this evening.  I hadn't really seen the unedited version of this movie. Man, was this most funny politically incorrect movie I've seen in a while.  Seeing Gene Wilder in his glory, along with all those great character actors in the film was a treat.
« Last Edit: 09 September 2016, 23:20:47 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1485 on: 09 September 2016, 23:06:03 »
Well, rented Now you see me 2..  Loved it.. The back and forth banter between the characters was very well done, and the whole 'card tossing' scene in that vault area was extremely well done.
I also loved how they kept in 'character' while being tossed off the plane when they already knew it was a set up...

BUT i really would have loved to have known how they did that whole 'rain' trick..

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1486 on: 10 September 2016, 09:03:32 »
BUT i really would have loved to have known how they did that whole 'rain' trick..
Movie would have you believe that spotlights and sprinklers can create a closeup illusion of rain stopping mid air.

Ah well. So long as disbelief is suspended its a fun movie.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1487 on: 11 September 2016, 12:20:50 »
Just watched 'Hardcore Henry' It was a hilariously gory and violent fiim. The body count was through the roof.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1488 on: 11 September 2016, 15:10:16 »
Ive no interest in seeing that film..  If i want 1st person, i will just power up a pc game.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1489 on: 09 October 2017, 00:36:07 »
Wow, 90 days with no one making a posting.

Saw 3 over the weekend for me.  47 meters down.  Typical shark film, but i did like the twist at the end.
Churchill..  MAN was cox both a lovable and hateable churchill.. 
Wonderwoman, loved it!   

Also, that russian superhero movie, Guardians is coming out on redbox in the next 2 weeks, so for those who HAVE seen it i have 2 questions.
1) IS it in english or subtitled?
2) is it worth watching?

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #1490 on: 09 October 2017, 01:08:47 »
I watched part of Wonder Woman, and stopped shortly after the first battle. That the movie is, agreed, the best DC has to offer speaks more about the rest of DC than anything else.

I also watched Spiderman Homecoming, and did finish it. Ned was infinitely irritating and utterly useless, Vulture's reveal was genuinely well done, and for me, Gwyneth Paltrow's stern was the most riveting part of the movie. Aunt May was so incredibly try-hard, I pity Marissa Tomei, who did her best... come to think of it, I wonder whether if the cringey-try-hard-aunt angle was deliberate, to which I can only say, Dammit don't despoil Aunt May like that, and anyway Big Hero 6 did it first.

I totally agree with everything Film Crit Hulk has to say here: www.birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/14/film-crit-hulk-smash-spider-man-the-marvel-fatal-flaw

Once again I am forced to wonder what the hell happened to Hollywood and the art of storytelling.
« Last Edit: 09 October 2017, 01:10:42 by Kidd »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1491 on: 09 October 2017, 06:04:11 »
I watched part of Wonder Woman, and stopped shortly after the first battle. That the movie is, agreed, the best DC has to offer speaks more about the rest of DC than anything else.

I also watched Spiderman Homecoming, and did finish it. Ned was infinitely irritating and utterly useless, Vulture's reveal was genuinely well done, and for me, Gwyneth Paltrow's stern was the most riveting part of the movie. Aunt May was so incredibly try-hard, I pity Marissa Tomei, who did her best... come to think of it, I wonder whether if the cringey-try-hard-aunt angle was deliberate, to which I can only say, Dammit don't despoil Aunt May like that, and anyway Big Hero 6 did it first.

I totally agree with everything Film Crit Hulk has to say here: www.birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/07/14/film-crit-hulk-smash-spider-man-the-marvel-fatal-flaw

Once again I am forced to wonder what the hell happened to Hollywood and the art of storytelling.
I'm no expert, but i think they're simply got the wrong people writing this stuff. When they do, the powers incharge or their lackeys are always in "Rush Rush Rush! Time is Money! Put anything out now!" mode.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1492 on: 09 October 2017, 06:15:36 »
Me and the Wife are rewatching the Aliens and Predator series. Going in order. Alien, Aliens, Predator so far.
I'm not all about Alien 3,4 and AVP 2, but it is part of the plan. Have to watch them all.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1493 on: 09 October 2017, 08:00:13 »
Anybody here see It yet? I went and fell asleep about a third of the way in. It really doesn't seem much different than the 80s miniseries to me. The management gave me passes to come back, is it worth another attempt? 

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #1494 on: 09 October 2017, 09:28:05 »
Finally got around to watching Kung Fury. This is the most amazing short film I have ever seen. I can't believe they stuffed all of that cheese into a mere 30 minutes.  8) It's on YouTube (legally) if you want to take a peek.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1495 on: 09 October 2017, 13:20:10 »
Anybody here see It yet? I went and fell asleep about a third of the way in. It really doesn't seem much different than the 80s miniseries to me. The management gave me passes to come back, is it worth another attempt?

Seen what?

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1496 on: 09 October 2017, 13:42:09 »
Seen what?
There was a remake of the Stephen King Novel It released this summer.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1497 on: 09 October 2017, 23:28:54 »
AH..  You might have capitalized or itallicized It... 

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #1498 on: 10 October 2017, 07:16:17 »
Bladerunner 2049

It was worth the wait. So good I watched it twice.  ^-^

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #1499 on: 10 October 2017, 18:24:25 »
Kingsmen: Golden Circle

Watch the movie, then have a burger afterward, I dare you

Eggsy is the cause of the Kingsman's troubles, Lancelot was horribly underused in the film, Halle Berry should have been given action screen time, Channing Tatum was only there for humor, Merlin is a great singer, and there are a couple of other actors/singers who showed up too.

Fun bit of humor describing the villain, "she is highly intelligent, is focused on her goals, and willing to sacrifice anything to achieve them.  This would make her a textbook psychopath, or the perfect CEO".