Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 139931 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #540 on: 18 January 2015, 15:27:31 »
old but good and eat your heart out terminator westworld was there first!
so i just finished watching westworld and starting the sequel which i had not seen yet futureworld
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #541 on: 18 January 2015, 16:21:35 »
Caught A walk amongst the tombstones last night along with Maze runner.
My mother (a very avid reader), read the latter book, but before she realized it was part of a trilogy, so felt the ending was lackluster.  Now she knows it has 2 more books in the series to come, watching the movie made more sense.  For me, having seen hunger games and divergent before it, i actually felt it was a decent addition to the genre.
As for WatT.  Compared to a lot of liam's other action films, i felt this was a little lackluster.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #542 on: 18 January 2015, 18:12:13 »
old but good and eat your heart out terminator westworld was there first!
so i just finished watching westworld and starting the sequel which i had not seen yet futureworld
Didn't know there was a sequel. One of my favorite movies (I have on DVD) should'of had a sequel, 1941. Love that movie, and the very last scene ends with Dan Aykroyd (Sgt. Frank Tree) stating: "You know, this year wasn't the big year of the war, '41. I think the really big year is going to be 1942." A setup for a sequel that never came.  :(
« Last Edit: 18 January 2015, 18:15:32 by MAD-4A »

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #543 on: 18 January 2015, 18:13:09 »
(oops wrong button - how do you delete?)

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #544 on: 19 January 2015, 09:45:57 »
I had the misfortune of watching The Zero Theorem over the weekend. I saw it was about to be removed from Cox On Demand, and since I like Gilliam's Brazil and 12 Monkeys (not to mention Monty Python) I decided to rent the movie. There were some amusing touches, but those few fleeting chuckles weren't enough and about halfway through I did something I rarely do and stopped the movie. I think just about the only thing that would have made it worse would have been if it had starred Steven Seagal.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #545 on: 19 January 2015, 12:36:34 »
Didn't know there was a sequel. One of my favorite movies (I have on DVD) should'of had a sequel, 1941. Love that movie, and the very last scene ends with Dan Aykroyd (Sgt. Frank Tree) stating: "You know, this year wasn't the big year of the war, '41. I think the really big year is going to be 1942." A setup for a sequel that never came.  :(

well back in 1980 apparently someone decided to try the westworld tv series

beyond westworld did not make it past one season

wonder how the new remake is doing?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #546 on: 19 January 2015, 22:27:48 »
I think just about the only thing that would have made it worse would have been if it had starred Steven Seagal.
lol - It does with everything else. I think it may have been the loss of John Belushi that may have killed any thought of a "1942". I just finished watching a series I hadn't heard of "Life Unexpected" 6 discs (that should have told me something). There are man hating ultra-feminists out their who would say "all-right all-ready quit the whining, what an ultra-chick-flick." Nearly EVERY scene is whine whine whine  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(. Their having a race on a camping trip & the over-music is someone whining with a guitar. 3 redeeming aspects are 1) The main character (the daughter) was played by (the then 20-21 yo) Britt Robertson - ultra gorges. 2) Emma Caulfield Buffy's "Anya" working out in spandex, nice & 7 episodes with Arielle Kebbel (Vamp Diaries' "Lexi Branson")! wow. That much was almost worth the whining. some PG-13 scenes.
« Last Edit: 19 January 2015, 22:32:04 by MAD-4A »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #547 on: 19 January 2015, 22:54:11 »
Watching The Goonies. I haven't seen it since I was in High School over twenty years ago.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #548 on: 21 January 2015, 12:27:59 »
Watching The Goonies. I haven't seen it since I was in High School over twenty years ago.

Heh, I was just in Astoria this weekend.  My wife and I ended up singing "(The Goonies are) Good Enough" as we drove into town.  Took my kid to see the house that was used for the Goondocks (which is on a private drive, but they allow you to go up on foot.  Nice folks.)

Watched The Ghosts of Mars for the first time.  Best part: got he DVD for free.  I am a big fan of Carpenter, but this is the worst of his films, which means if bumped Body Bags out of that spot on my list.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #549 on: 21 January 2015, 18:12:30 »
Caught 2 oldies, one i have not seen since it initially came out, the other i somehow missed (cause it had 3 actors i love).
First up was the one i have not see in a while.  Patch Adams with Robin Williams.  Man  I forgotten how good it was.  I was almost in tears at the end when he was giving his speech at that 'court' (of sorts), and was clapping when the found in his favor.  It also makes me wonder is the Gezuntite institute still open and if so how i can donate to it.

2nd up was Reindeer games with Gary Sinise, Ben Afleck and Charlize Theron.  I did NOT see that ending coming, where Theron's character was a Triple timing backstabber, and both she and Sinise got killed..
Loved it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #550 on: 21 January 2015, 18:49:06 »
Caught 2 oldies, one i have not seen since it initially came out, the other i somehow missed (cause it had 3 actors i love).
First up was the one i have not see in a while.  Patch Adams with Robin Williams.  Man  I forgotten how good it was.  I was almost in tears at the end when he was giving his speech at that 'court' (of sorts), and was clapping when the found in his favor.  It also makes me wonder is the Gezuntite institute still open and if so how i can donate to it.

The real Patch Adams was very different than Robin's portrayal.  He reportedly hated the movie for several of the things they did:
  • portraying him committing felonies by pretending to be a doctor and stealing medical supplies
  • how the character Carin was added to provide a romantic subplot- she was very loosely based on a male friend of the real Patch who died in a car crash).
  • portraying the other doctors as being caricatured jerks with no bedside manners- he had frictions with some over how close a doctor should get to a patient, but not to the extent the film portrayed
  • oversimplification of his methods down to "laughter is the best medicine"

It's a decent movie, but it's important to remember that it's not an accurate biography.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #551 on: 22 January 2015, 01:50:40 »
"Signs and Portents." Darn good episode; hello, Mr. Mordent - I am pretty sure I know what you are, since I know a little about the Shadows.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #552 on: 22 January 2015, 03:13:43 »
"Signs and Portents." Darn good episode; hello, Mr. Mordent - I am pretty sure I know what you are, since I know a little about the Shadows.
a shadows...and vorlons wait till you see what both of them are...ohh how i envy you

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #553 on: 22 January 2015, 10:15:59 »
Bullitt.  Steve McQueen, Robert Vaughn, and the greatest car chase scene set on film.  A classic for a reason.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #554 on: 22 January 2015, 15:32:56 »

It's a decent movie, but it's important to remember that it's not an accurate biography.

Very few "based on a true story" films are accurate biographies of what did happen.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #555 on: 22 January 2015, 15:52:06 »
No, but there are different degrees of accuracy possible when making a movie about someone, and audiences tend to assume that biographical movies are extremely accurate.  When the person that the movie is based on has vocally criticized said movie, it's probably good to pay attention to that criticism.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #556 on: 23 January 2015, 03:19:05 »
Point taken.

Just watched an old funny with De nero and Hoffman.  Man was it a barrel of laughs!

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #557 on: 24 January 2015, 14:42:14 »
Just watched the Tom Cruise movie Edge of Tomorrow (aka Live, Die, Repeat) the other night.  Not a bad popcorn flick and certainly an entertaining action movie. 
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #558 on: 25 January 2015, 02:51:56 »
Just got done watching a somewhat historical based movie called Australia with Kidman and Jackman.  Man was it good!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #559 on: 25 January 2015, 08:42:20 »
Garibaldi:"No boom?"

Sinclair: "No boom."

Ivanonva: "No boom *today*. Boom tomorrow. There's *always* a boom tomorrow."

Garibaldi and Sinclair look at each other and walk away.

Ivanona: "What!? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom - sooner or later - BOOM!"

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #560 on: 25 January 2015, 22:38:30 »
Ivanona: "What!? Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here! Boom - sooner or later - BOOM!"
Always liked her. did you see her at breakfast, when she dozed off? lol

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #561 on: 25 January 2015, 22:44:39 »

Damn good character, and well performed by Ms. Christian.  O0
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #562 on: 25 January 2015, 22:57:48 »
Damn good character, and well performed by Ms. Christian.  O0

If you do the Book of Face, she is entertaining to follow/like.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #563 on: 26 January 2015, 03:59:39 »
garibaldi:3 2 1 0   ivanova: garibali you are a dead man!

pure classic ...

still i do like gkarr a lot the circular universe and patience argument was classic

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #564 on: 26 January 2015, 11:30:03 »
garibaldi:3 2 1 0   ivanova: garibali you are a dead man!

pure classic ...

still i do like gkarr a lot the circular universe and patience argument was classic

And now I recall the "Who am I? I am Death incarnate...." speech by Ivanova when she took her White Star squadron aginst the shadow modified Earth Destroyers.

And earlier, when she got the one alien race so sign on against the shadows by dissing them in comparison to the Vorlons  ;D
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #565 on: 27 January 2015, 00:23:57 »
dirty rotten scoundrels

that is one movie that deserved a sequel or tv series...

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #566 on: 27 January 2015, 08:12:50 »
Lando & G'Kar were always my favorites, though I like Garibaldi too.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #567 on: 28 January 2015, 02:05:25 »
Waiting for the next B5 disc to arrive from Netflix, watched "Dredd." Urban was outstanding in the role, and the overall movie was very entertaining.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #568 on: 29 January 2015, 02:33:03 »
dredd so under rated
only 2 things to pic since i do like the comics
1 mega city one would had been cooler if the visual style was closer to the souece material like judge minty
2 anderson never went to be assessed by dredd but hershey did and in comics she is just as viscious as dredd himself save she is not a street judge much

other than that movie is a great watch and is enjoyable

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #569 on: 31 January 2015, 03:25:46 »
Well, that was a helluva way to end Season 1 of B5. Sending off the disc today, taking a brief hiatus to watch "Pacific Rim" next. Saw it in the theater, but want to watch it again.