Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140191 times)

elf25s

• Major
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #600 on: 10 February 2015, 09:44:46 »
Rewatched a decent slasher type flick with Kane (WWE), See no Evil.  Only question i had, was for a bunch of 'juveniles, they all seemed to be in their early to mid 20s...

ok its a horror movie rule that teens will be played by people in their mid 20s to early 30s...
if you had not noticed it since early 80s what movies had you been watching?
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #601 on: 10 February 2015, 09:57:57 »
I could say you both missed the point of the book, but I suppose that's a very subjective judgement so I'll say I got something much different out of the book than you did.   

In my opinion, the book was never meant to present a realistic or even recommended method of government.  It was a framework in order for the author to address issues of responsibility, both to oneself and to society.  All of the flash backs to Juan's citizenship classes (in the book) were about this very issue.

The method of "exploring" and the evidence presented in the book are both intellectually dishonest.  Mr. Dubois misinterprets the basic tenants of Das Kapital, Labor Theory of Value, the Bill of Rights and the preamble of the Declaration of Independence .  Not even in a philosophical way, either.  The sneering disregard for the subject matter that clearly the teacher displays is also telling of a lack of understanding of the material he is insulting.  It might have been a choice of Heinlein's to do this.  Just how many blatant contradictions exist in the Terran Federation's socio-political organization, compared to preceding western Democratic systems might actually lead me to think it was all a big joke.  But, Heinlein defended the Terran Federation well after publication.

People refer to the government in SST as "militaristic" but the fact was in the book people in the military had no say in government whatsoever.  It was only after they successfully completed their term of service that people became "citizens" and could participate in the political process.

Which was built off the idea that they wouldn't be able to vote themselves out of going to war.  The relationship of retired military to current military was explicitly spelled out.  Retired citizens were the only ones who had the right to decide who went to war, when and against whom.  It perpetuated the idea that those not involved in combat were making the decisions, even though more than once Johnnie tells us about only respecting those willing to put their own neck on the line.

True, the book itself could be considered "militaristic" but the main character was a soldier and the story took place during a galaxy wide total war so that's kind of hard to avoid. 

I'm not looking to get into chicken/egg territory, but the effect of setting the Terran Federation against the Skinnies and Arachnids is to create a security threat without moral or philosophical tension.  The Federation doesn't have to compare it's morality to any human nation because it dominated humanity through force.  An inhuman opponent frees the Federation from having to reconcile it's draconian nature against another nation that may or may not work, but has resisted coercion with a conflicting set of ideals.

Maybe Heinlein wanted to make the parts about M.I. troopers in combat.  Those sections certainly seem more his strength.  Aliens give him a buy out.  If the same tactics were used against other human beings the Federation would be guilty of genocide.  As they are the unthinking hive mind of the Arachnids and the unwilling Skinnies that are being fought (the Skinnies in an act of pure ego are actually empowered to break away from the Arachnids after coming into contact with mankind) none of the questions of overuse of force or considerations for basic humanity need to be considered.

The author was also a veteran himself and it was written at a time when military service was still generally considered in a positive personal choice and an honorable career.

Which is fine.  The problem with Starship Troopers is that the portrayed military mindset is so disrespectful of dissenting opinion.  The Terran Federation was built because civilians could not be trusted to run governments.  Individual rights were considered an impediment to functioning society, which collapsed because people didn't hit their children enough and capital punishment became passe.  I have no problem with someone making an argument for earned citizenship vs universal suffrage.  Just come at me with something that insists youth gang violence was going to be the end of Western Democracy.  It comes off as an old man's angry letter to the world.

The core idea of the book was not that the military should run the government, but that responsible people should run the government.  So-called "federal service" (which was not always military service, although that was the largest branch of federal service) was the differentiators used.  It allowed anyone to become a citizen, but they had to volunteer for dangerous, arduous or at the very least tedious service to qualify based on the idea that people don't value things that are given to them for free.

The problem that is seldom seriously addressed is that the system is non voluntary.  Enfranchisement is limited to those who have already gone through the system.  But, paying taxes and being subject to the laws enacted by the Federation are non optional.  Civilian rights are almost identical to Citizens.  But, citizens have no say in changing the system they are forced to pay into and laws they are forced to obey.  Universal suffrage at least has the benefit of giving every taxpayer the option to exercise their rights, or not.  In the Federation that is an intolerable state, degraded by Mr. Dubois with examples of never-was understanding of how Democracy works. 

Maybe it would not work in real life, but its an interesting idea.

The real problem is that Starship Troopers is not distopian in tone.  It is utopian.  Ok, fine.  I've read more ridiculous utopias before.  What is so bothersome is that Heinlein goes out of his way to degrade preceding  traditions with an incomplete, arguably intellectually dishonest portrayal of the things his proposed system successfully replaced.  The argument for the Terran Federation is based on falsehoods, but never a problem.  The military veterans resorted to intimidation tactics to take over, and it was fine.  To make matters worse, the suggestion that such a system would perpetuate itself through the perfection of taming all would-be revolutionaries, on the basis that getting them into uniform and inside the system defangs popular resentment.

But what do I know?   ;)

That I read the book and have had these discussions at length?
« Last Edit: 10 February 2015, 11:40:18 by False Son »
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #602 on: 10 February 2015, 10:30:15 »
just finished watching anime of starship troopers  it was fun and the gorrila suits were dead on on description...sadly story toward end was not close to source material which was awesome in itself

You talking about the Japanese version right?  I started it but never finished it. What is different about the endings?

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #603 on: 10 February 2015, 10:34:33 »
Anyone seen the Roughnecks CGI series?  It combined some elements of both the film and the book.  Mostly the film, but the Skinnies and Bronski appear.  Though, Bronski is a different character from the book altogether, much like Dizzy Flores.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

hive_angel

• Lieutenant
  • A, B, C, D, E, F, Guy ...
    • Send Three Squads To Help
« Reply #604 on: 10 February 2015, 10:40:44 »
I have the DVD set of the show. It was a good watch. I need to give them another run through sometime.
Follow my blog for Battletech battle reports!

http://ststh.blogspot.com

Search for "Battle Report"

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #605 on: 10 February 2015, 10:58:20 »

You talking about the Japanese version right?  I started it but never finished it. What is different about the endings?
carmen and johnny get lovey dovey at the end and through out the series he plays the white night to carmens princess in trouble
only first episode sticks to the source
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #606 on: 10 February 2015, 11:04:24 »
In your opinion, is it worth finishing?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #607 on: 10 February 2015, 11:57:32 »
take it or leave it it did have its moments...but it felt bit disjointed or not really together at times story wise

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #608 on: 10 February 2015, 12:42:17 »
Rewatched a decent slasher type flick with Kane (WWE), See no Evil.  Only question i had, was for a bunch of 'juveniles, they all seemed to be in their early to mid 20s...
In "8 simple rules" 2002, "14yo" Kerry was played by Amy Davidson (born 1979 - 23) 6 years older than "big sister" Kaley Cuoco.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #609 on: 10 February 2015, 13:02:17 »
Thanks elf, I think I'll just leave it be.

Just finished "Twin Peaks" season one. Gotta love all the 90s weirdness! !

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #610 on: 10 February 2015, 13:14:34 »
In "8 simple rules" 2002, "14yo" Kerry was played by Amy Davidson (born 1979 - 23) 6 years older than "big sister" Kaley Cuoco.

Pretty standard in the business.  Unless you were a child actor most people don't have the opportunity to walk into a production at 18.  Someone walking off the high school graduation platform into Hollywood can easily count on 2-3 years of being non union Extras or SAG Background Actors.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #611 on: 10 February 2015, 13:52:03 »
The method of "exploring" and the evidence presented in the book are both intellectually dishonest. 
I'll have to concede this portion of your argument, as I'll have to admit I lack the academic background or knowledge to even attempt to refute your statements in this matter.  I will say that many of "Mr. Dubois" arguments resonated with me, even when I was a young man, but that certainly doesn't mean he was right on this issue.  Obviously, Heinlein was a conservative (at least at this point in his writing career.  Its hard to consider some of his later books "conservative" by any stretch of the imagination!) so he champions the idea that his conservative views would produce a better society.  I'm sure most people, left, right, or center, would tend to do the same thing. 

My main criticism of the movie was not the poor acting or the lack of power armor, but rather that it pretty much ignored this discussion, in favor of presenting a sort of caricature of the Federation from the books.  I don't want to turn this into too much of a political debate, though, as that would be both off topic and potentially inflammatory.  Actually, was the issue of voting even addressed in the movies?  Its been a while since I watched them and I don't recall if it was ever mentioned. 

the effect of setting the Terran Federation against the Skinnies and Arachnids is to create a security threat without moral or philosophical tension.
I can see this, and I rather think this is the same reason the Star Wars prequels introduced the drone armies of the Trade Federation.  That situation avoided the moral quandary of the heroes of the movies slaughtering their opponents in job lots.  They were only machines after all...

On the other hand, I don't see where this is particularly a flaw in the books.  Heinlein wanted to present the protagonist with an irrefutably "evil" opponent specifically to avoid that very discussion.  The the issues of the morality of war and genocide are certainly important, but they were not the issues that the author wanted to explore in this book.   It certainly worked out in the movies, allowing for wholesale slaughter of the bad guys without moral or ethical consequences.  ;)

The Terran Federation was built because civilians could not be trusted to run governments. 
I might argue that the Federation was build not because civilians could not be trusted, but because not everyone could be trusted.  On the other hand, as the screening process was predominately military service, I can see your argument and as described it was certainly the ex-military who founded the government of the Federation. 

Individual rights were considered an impediment to functioning society, which collapsed because people didn't hit their children enough and capital punishment became passe.

I don't see that the Federation curtailed individual rights to any great extent, other than making the right of political participation conditional.  Was there any indication in the books that freedom of speech, religion, assembly, etc. was in any way limited to non-voting citizens?  If so, I don't recall it. 

I would also argue that while corporal punishment was discussed in the classes as an example of what the previous society did wrong, I think what I really got out of the discussion was that the previous society collapsed not because people were not spanked, but because their was little attempt to hold individuals responsible for their actions. 

The problem that is seldom seriously addressed is that the system is non voluntary.

On the contrary, I would consider it to be entirely voluntary.  After all, it was stated that anyone could volunteer for "federal service" and would be assigned duties commensurate with their abilities.  Admittedly, most of those were military in nature, but it was specifically stated that if people were unsuited physically or mentally for military service they were assigned other duties.  They could wash out, but they could not be refused the chance to earn their citizenship.

Universal suffrage at least has the benefit of giving every taxpayer the option to exercise their rights, or not. 
Again, every taxpayer in the Federation did have the option to exercise their rights.  All they needed to do was volunteer for "federal service" first. 

That I read the book and have had these discussions at length?
I never said you didn't, but despite our divergent opinions I have too. 

I certainly don't argue that the "Federation" system as presented in the books is a workable blueprint for a successful society, and as appealing as it is in some respects I'm not sure I would really want to live there.  It does spark some interesting intellectual discussions, though.  Thanks for keeping it civil.    8)
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #612 on: 10 February 2015, 14:55:56 »
Planes - Search and Rescue.   Never saw any of the other Cars or Planes films, but found this one pretty good.  Had no expectations and was watching it with my kid, but found it enjoyable.  Had fun playing "Guess the voice actor."  (Bonus points for catching Erik Estrada in the clip from the TV show CHoPS.)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #613 on: 10 February 2015, 14:59:45 »
My main criticism of the movie was not the poor acting or the lack of power armor, but rather that it pretty much ignored this discussion, in favor of presenting a sort of caricature of the Federation from the books.

This had to do with Paul Vanderhoeven being annoyed by his original project being saddled with a licensed title like Starship Troopers.  His own feelings on the material (which he admits he never finished) celebrated a form of militarism that made him uncomfortable.  Rather than rehab Heinlein's work into something more palatable, he chose to depict it in a way that was both brutish and baffoonish.

Actually, was the issue of voting even addressed in the movies?  Its been a while since I watched them and I don't recall if it was ever mentioned. 

Yes, briefly.

I can see this, and I rather think this is the same reason the Star Wars prequels introduced the drone armies of the Trade Federation.  That situation avoided the moral quandary of the heroes of the movies slaughtering their opponents in job lots.  They were only machines after all...

Interesting that you mention that.  I just watched the Honest Trailer about SW: ep II where they say the same thing.  "This disposable army faces off against THIS disposable army!"

On the other hand, I don't see where this is particularly a flaw in the books.  Heinlein wanted to present the protagonist with an irrefutably "evil" opponent specifically to avoid that very discussion.  The the issues of the morality of war and genocide are certainly important, but they were not the issues that the author wanted to explore in this book.   It certainly worked out in the movies, allowing for wholesale slaughter of the bad guys without moral or ethical consequences.  ;)

I'll say this about Heinlein's version.  The M.I. and mankind in general is very business-like in their pursuit against the Arachnids.  The movie has a sadistic streak.

I might argue that the Federation was build not because civilians could not be trusted, but because not everyone could be trusted.  On the other hand, as the screening process was predominately military service, I can see your argument and as described it was certainly the ex-military who founded the government of the Federation. 

The funny thing is that the desire for citizenship was so strong that the Federal Service had to come up with more jobs than it really needed in order to fulfill the demand.  They ended up giving out so many non military jobs that it undercut the whole idea of earning it through hard work.  Yeah, there was military, survival gear testing and medical testing.  There were also a number of people that got citizenship through mopping floors and peeling potatoes.  I doubt this observation was a mistake. 

I don't see that the Federation curtailed individual rights to any great extent, other than making the right of political participation conditional.  Was there any indication in the books that freedom of speech, religion, assembly, etc. was in any way limited to non-voting citizens?  If so, I don't recall it. 

No, not between citizens and non citizens.  The thing is, law is significantly less humane in the Federation in comparison to current day law, and there are provisions against treasonous speech that even citizens fear.  The tension comes from that reality.  Civilians are brutalized by a system they can't change.

I would also argue that while corporal punishment was discussed in the classes as an example of what the previous society did wrong, I think what I really got out of the discussion was that the previous society collapsed not because people were not spanked, but because their was little attempt to hold individuals responsible for their actions. 

You may want to go back and read that part.  He's very specific about the merits of corporal punishment as an instinctual teaching method applicable to all ages.  Institutionalized violence was deemed necessary because parents could not be counted on to do it.  Once adults, the state refused to do it.  But, Mr. Dubois also goes on at length about the failures of the imprisonment system that tried and failed because of good intentions and poor thinking.  At least, that's his summation.  There were too many cops, too many judges and too little results.

On the contrary, I would consider it to be entirely voluntary.  After all, it was stated that anyone could volunteer for "federal service" and would be assigned duties commensurate with their abilities.  Admittedly, most of those were military in nature, but it was specifically stated that if people were unsuited physically or mentally for military service they were assigned other duties.  They could wash out, but they could not be refused the chance to earn their citizenship.

Again, every taxpayer in the Federation did have the option to exercise their rights.  All they needed to do was volunteer for "federal service" first. 

It's an open contradiction.  You have the right by virtue of birth to prove yourself in an ideological purity test. 

I never said you didn't, but despite our divergent opinions I have too. 

I certainly don't argue that the "Federation" system as presented in the books is a workable blueprint for a successful society, and as appealing as it is in some respects I'm not sure I would really want to live there.  It does spark some interesting intellectual discussions, though. 

Yeah, as I read it I found my back getting up.  Maybe that was also part of the idea.  The lack of dissenting voice was supposed to be filled by the reader?  Not sure.  Was lots of fun to talk about in military college.  It asked if you knew enough about your own beliefs to intellectually defend them.

Thanks for keeping it civil.    8)

Actually, thank you.  I'm not sure how we got here, but it was fun.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #614 on: 10 February 2015, 21:24:25 »
One of the things about the political aspect of Starship Troopers is that it's presenting an extremist viewpoint that was forty or so years out of date when the movie was made.  If they'd kept it in, would it really have been something that resonated with a 90s audience?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #615 on: 12 February 2015, 09:00:36 »
One of the things about the political aspect of Starship Troopers is that it's presenting an extremist viewpoint that was forty or so years out of date when the movie was made.  If they'd kept it in, would it really have been something that resonated with a 90s audience?
It's not "out-of-date" today, it's out of vogue. It was the book, not "ahg me smash bug". the movie named "star ship trooper" had nothing to do with the book and should be erased, along with the career of the idiots who made it. (rest of comment omitted due to restriction on threads >:( )

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #616 on: 12 February 2015, 09:12:31 »
Not a movie,  but having just ordered the second Yukikaze book, I just rewatched the last DVD from the OAV. Now I can go back to Orphan Black.  Good lord,  I hope the other disks are as good as the first one.  This is one show that really has lived up to the hype. At least so far.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #617 on: 12 February 2015, 19:40:32 »
Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Deux. Got to give it to Lloyd Bridges in that movie. 
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #618 on: 14 February 2015, 03:27:39 »
Hot Shots and Hot Shots Part Deux. Got to give it to Lloyd Bridges in that movie.
O0 Before CS cracked his eggs over a skillet.  :idiot2:
« Last Edit: 14 February 2015, 03:29:36 by MAD-4A »

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #619 on: 14 February 2015, 12:30:12 »
The Crazies again.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #620 on: 14 February 2015, 17:36:14 »
About the only way I like to watch football is in the movies.

Watched "Varsity Blues" the other night, and "The Replacements" last night.

If I owned "Remember the Titans" and/or "Necessary Roughness" on DVD, I'd most likely be watching one of them tonight.

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #621 on: 15 February 2015, 01:31:12 »
About the only way I like to watch football is in the movies.
Watched "Varsity Blues" the other night, and "The Replacements" last night.
Never really like sports movies, you know who the "good" guy is & the good guy (almost) always wins. What they won, after having to make that impossible comeback! WOW big surprise! (course that's usually true of others as well, but hey...not a fan of "Holly Woodskigrad" anyway) - ever see "An American Carole"? - love it - "Where can we find a real Holly Wood director who hates America?" "Holly Wood, they all hate America" -  :))

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #622 on: 15 February 2015, 01:33:14 »
The first Percy Jackson.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #623 on: 15 February 2015, 01:49:50 »
An American Carol wasn't a movie so much as it was a two hour long political joke.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #624 on: 16 February 2015, 13:29:11 »
Never really like sports movies, you know who the "good" guy is & the good guy (almost) always wins. What they won, after having to make that impossible comeback! WOW big surprise! (course that's usually true of others as well, but hey...not a fan of "Holly Woodskigrad" anyway) - ever see "An American Carole"? - love it - "Where can we find a real Holly Wood director who hates America?" "Holly Wood, they all hate America" -  :))

That is why I liked the original The Bad News Bears.  Underdogs fight hard, but lose.  Never saw the remake, but I would hope it had the same ending.

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #625 on: 16 February 2015, 16:45:27 »
An American Carol wasn't a movie so much as it was a two hour long political joke.
Then you didn't get it - the Joke was...is Anti-American Holly Wood.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #626 on: 16 February 2015, 18:01:36 »
I'm not going to touch what "anti-American" is supposed to mean, much less whether or not someone or something qualifies as such, with a ten foot pole and a suit of Kanazuchi battle armor on this forum.

Mecha82

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Some things never change
« Reply #627 on: 16 February 2015, 19:35:45 »
Hellboy: Sword of Storms. Animated Hellboy movie were he goes to Japan and fights some demons, including some from japanese stories like Kappa. Ron Pearlman who was live action Hellboy did voice for him in this one.
Star Captain John Malthus, Kappa Galaxy, Clan Jade Falcon 
Star Captain Johannes Bekker, Delta Galaxy, Clan Ghost Bear 
Captain John Bailey, 1st Avalon Hussars, Federated Suns  
Tai-i Jiro Takahashi, 2nd Legion of Vega, Draconis Combine

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #628 on: 20 February 2015, 20:59:38 »
just finished watching uzumaki(spiral) live action japaniese horror movie from the late 80s or early 90s a lot of stuff got imported into ring series

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #629 on: 20 February 2015, 21:42:41 »
The manga is way better, but the movie has it's charms. It is just so abstract of an idea.....

Register