Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140055 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #810 on: 02 April 2015, 17:54:52 »
It was visually great, but the plotline was a little strange.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #811 on: 02 April 2015, 18:01:54 »
"The 13th Warrior" (again) - don't think this movie will ever wear out for me.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #812 on: 03 April 2015, 12:36:07 »
Finished "Game of Thrones" Season 4 last night on DVD. It's frustrating not having HBO (not currently an option, budget-wise, unfortunately), and knowing I'm going to have to wait a while for this upcoming season to be released on DVD. (Before anyone says it, yes, I know, I could read the books.)

Anyway, my thoughts on this season and possibilities for next.
1) Thank God they offed that little jerk, Joffrey; the plotline of the accusation and trial was very interesting
2) I wonder what "change" will be wrought in The Mountain courtesy of the treatment?
3) Tyrion and Varys (possibly making one of his smarter decisions) are heading to the Free Cities - will they meet up with Arya once there?
4) Speaking of Arya, now that Brienne knows she is alive, and will be seeing Sansa, then Sansa will also know Arya is alive.
5) Speaking of Brienne - her fight with "The Hound" is possibly one of the best since the fight between Rowdy Roddy and David Keith in "They Live."
6) Did not expect Tryion to kill Tywin - or at least try to, but good on him. Definitely curious to see if Tywin survived or not.
7) The old man under the tree and those skeletons - why does the force that controls the skeletons want to keep people away from the old man? I'm going to guess it has to do with the undead versus the forces aligned (?) with what the tree represents.
8 ) Ygritte dying in Jon's arms - dammit. At the hands of the boy, Olly.
9) The giants at the first battle of the Wall - holy crap.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #813 on: 03 April 2015, 21:14:51 »
Just watched, Nightcrawler.   Films about a young man who has nuthing, who starts out as thief to find his way into world of stringer/reporters.  Run off with camera, beat other people to scene of crime. 

Movie was well made, but wow it's doesn't hold it's punches.  I doubt real journalism would allow this kind of business go on to gather these needed daily news.  It doesn't have Hollywood ending, but it's ending not what thought it be which is a good thing.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #814 on: 03 April 2015, 21:29:00 »
Let's Kill Wards Wife a really dark comedy from Scott Foley.  It has its moments, but it was a little darker than I thought it would be. I still would recommend it. Fun movie.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #815 on: 05 April 2015, 11:30:58 »
Saw a title with a lot of promise on Netflix streaming called "Parallels." Alternate Earths kind of thing. A little over an hour and a half long. Turns out it was a pilot for a series they never picked up, and the studio decided to turn into a "stand-alone" film. Nice thought, except that it ends on a total cliffhanger, and so far as anyone knows, there's no plans on a sequel.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #816 on: 05 April 2015, 11:34:33 »
Saw a title with a lot of promise on Netflix streaming called "Parallels." Alternate Earths kind of thing. A little over an hour and a half long. Turns out it was a pilot for a series they never picked up, and the studio decided to turn into a "stand-alone" film. Nice thought, except that it ends on a total cliffhanger, and so far as anyone knows, there's no plans on a sequel.

I saw it a few weeks ago.  It's wasn't bad, I think I would watch if it did become a series. 

Last night I watched Interstellar.  Awesome movie, just loved it. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #817 on: 05 April 2015, 12:14:19 »
I saw it a few weeks ago.  It's wasn't bad, I think I would watch if it did become a series. 

I agree - I think it would have had some promise as a series. To do what they did, though, was frustrating. If they had released that in the theatres, I'd have asked for my money back,

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #818 on: 05 April 2015, 12:24:48 »
Just watched THIS

Those short, "amateur" movies are really getting better and better...

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #819 on: 05 April 2015, 16:05:02 »
Watched the Tie Fighter short comic, pretty decent for one person's work.

Just watched "Seventh Son".  Jeff Bridges had too many marbles in his mouth to be easily understandable, but it was fairly decent.  I'd hope they explained why Malkin and Master Gregory didn't marry.  What would have been better is if Tom had explained that he will judge each creature on is own merits, rather than blanket justice (which Master Gregory might have understood at the end with his comment to Tom).
« Last Edit: 05 April 2015, 16:06:44 by idea weenie »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #820 on: 05 April 2015, 17:58:50 »
Anyone seen Outcast with Hayden Christiansen and Nick Cage??

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #821 on: 06 April 2015, 12:15:28 »
Good to hear!  The BD is sitting on the table next to my recliner waiting for a chance to be watched.   ;)
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

MAD-4A

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #822 on: 07 April 2015, 10:23:45 »
Girls und Panzer - who-hooo  :))

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #823 on: 07 April 2015, 10:49:28 »
Just got "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" from Netflix - hoping to watch it later tonight.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #824 on: 07 April 2015, 14:11:13 »
The last Hobbit movie. It was funny seeing the dad from Boondock Saints leading the dwarfs. It was good,  but I think I liked the middle one the best.

Snake Eyes

• Lieutenant
  • I am here to keep the peace
« Reply #825 on: 07 April 2015, 14:25:21 »
Took my wife & daughter to see the new movie 'Home' yesterday........very good family movie O0

Last week i finally saw the movie 'Priest'

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #826 on: 07 April 2015, 16:08:34 »
The Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2.

Having been a fan of the old Adam West show and the Timmverse Batman animated series since I was a kid, I finally decided to see this double feature. I basically already knew the plot and everything but the music, raw emotions and fight scenes really made it all work imo. I definitely prefer a different kind of Batman but I would definitely rank this two parter high up on DC's animated movie list. Also, I didn't think anyone else could voice Batman/Bruce Wayne like Kevin Conway but Peter Weller really did a good job as an older, darker Batman/Bruce Wayne.
Made by HikageMaru

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #827 on: 07 April 2015, 17:17:59 »
Last week i finally saw the movie 'Priest'

Of the 3 Bettany 'religious films (Legion, Priest and Gabriel) i have only seen Legion and loved it.  How was Priest in comparison?

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #828 on: 08 April 2015, 00:07:40 »
"Rise of the Planet of the Apes" was excellent, and a very believable "prequel" to the "Planet of the Apes" of the future.

Kret69

• Warrant Officer
    • Solaris7 - Polish Battletech Community
« Reply #829 on: 08 April 2015, 11:49:17 »
I liked them both, too.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #830 on: 09 April 2015, 09:32:32 »
The wife and I watched the last 10 minutes or so of David Lynch's Dune.  Picked up right after they set off the atomics to bring down the shield wall.  I've seen several versions of the film and have read the book.  She was not familiar in the least.  The experience was one of furrowed expression and audible confusion.  And all I said was "Right?".
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #831 on: 10 April 2015, 10:40:48 »
The last Hobbit movie. It was funny seeing the dad from Boondock Saints leading the dwarfs. It was good,  but I think I liked the middle one the best.
I think I liked the first movie best, followed by the second and the third.  The last one seemed just a bit rushed (which is ironic considering they stretched a single book out into three movies!).  It just jumped straight into the battle of Laketown, and then seemed to jump into the battle of Five Armies almost right away.  Some spectacular battle scenes, though.  That's one thing Jackson can do. 

Maybe I'll like the third movie when I get a chance to watch it again.  I know the second moive grew on my with repeat viewings.   ;)

I think the biggest flaw in the trilogy as a whole was that, in an attempt to build up the parts for Thorin and the other dwarfs, the titular character (Bilbo) got kind of lost in the second and third movies. 
« Last Edit: 10 April 2015, 10:42:42 by mdauben »
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #832 on: 11 April 2015, 13:11:48 »
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." Not sure why, but didn't feel quite the same as "Rise," but it was still overall enjoyable.

I loved that they had Caesar return to Will's house, and you could see the old "Woody" parked out front. I presume that if they have the Icarus and its crew returning, it will be in the third one.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #833 on: 11 April 2015, 13:17:11 »
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #834 on: 11 April 2015, 13:25:34 »
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

I know it's common for folks to hate that film, but I actually enjoyed quite a bit. 

Not a movie, but I picked up the blue ray for the Foo Fighters series on HBO "Sonic Highways".  Really enjoying it so far, it's hard not to geek out with Dave Grohl when it comes to discovering cool music things in the various cities they filmed in. 

Also picked up "Sound City" on blue ray, which was another Dave Grohl produced documentary about the studio in Van Nuys that recorded so many fantastic albums from Tom Petty, Nirvana, REO Speedwagon, Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham Nicks, and so on. 

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #835 on: 11 April 2015, 13:54:21 »
I know it's common for folks to hate that film, but I actually enjoyed quite a bit. 

Not a movie, but I picked up the blue ray for the Foo Fighters series on HBO "Sonic Highways".  Really enjoying it so far, it's hard not to geek out with Dave Grohl when it comes to discovering cool music things in the various cities they filmed in. 

Also picked up "Sound City" on blue ray, which was another Dave Grohl produced documentary about the studio in Van Nuys that recorded so many fantastic albums from Tom Petty, Nirvana, REO Speedwagon, Fleetwood Mac, Buckingham Nicks, and so on.

It has its moments. The Aliens angle was a bit odd but I enjoy it. Putting Platoon on now.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #836 on: 11 April 2015, 21:17:43 »
Sigh.  I watched Transformers: Age of Extinction.  One of the movie channels had it, so I gave in.  It had some nice cars and a nice quote.

" I may have started the apocalypse, but you brought your family. And that's, you know, terrible parenting. "

And, still, the animated movie remains the best Transformers movie.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #837 on: 11 April 2015, 22:08:13 »
Yup, the animated movie was the best, and all the Bayformers movies are bad comedy. 8)
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #838 on: 11 April 2015, 23:43:37 »
"Dawn of the Planet of the Apes." Not sure why, but didn't feel quite the same as "Rise," but it was still overall enjoyable.

I loved that they had Caesar return to Will's house, and you could see the old "Woody" parked out front. I presume that if they have the Icarus and its crew returning, it will be in the third one.

That's assuming they are going to tie this one (and rise) into the one with Whalberg.

For tonight's pleasure i figured i would go with 2 comedies.
First up was the third installment of Night at the Museum.  Secret of the tomb.  Typical for the series, but i liked Ben Kingsly playing the pharo.
Next was Home Sweet Hell with Cathrine Heigel.  Man was this funny as heck...  Almost like the film Serial mom!

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #839 on: 11 April 2015, 23:51:30 »
Holy crap, I didn't realize Home Sweet Hell was out. It looks hilarious, I was afraid the trailer gave away all the laughs. Glad to hear it was good.

Register