Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140110 times)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #1140 on: 19 December 2015, 14:21:09 »
Adhering to our tradition, on Christmas Eve my wife and I shall be watching Hogfather.  :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1141 on: 21 December 2015, 20:39:10 »
Soooo....after blocking every, EVERY image, promotion, chatter, jabber or mentioning of the film since they announced it's production.  I've finally see Star Wars, The Force Awaken.

Then again, I've see this before....Oh its original movie redone 40 year later...sorry bitter Revelation. It was a good movie in own right, there was moments that were good.  However, i just am sick and tired of revisiting old themes, old stories that happened to be recreated from the earlier movies.  It was fun, it had issues.  Aside from that it's worth 10 dollars to see.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2016, 22:16:30 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1142 on: 07 January 2016, 23:33:57 »
Decided to rewatch Avengers: Age of Ultron.  Still like it, but I realized what really bothered me about the film- it's too self aware, especially Ultron's character.  There are too many points where the dialog verges on being a parody of action movies, which is really not a good thing for a serious action movie.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1143 on: 08 January 2016, 10:57:54 »
Soooo....after blocking every, EVERY image, promotion, chatter, jabber or mentioning of the film since they announced it's production.  I've finally see Star Wars, The Force Awaken.

Then again, I've see this before....Oh its original movie redone 40 year later...sorry bitter Revelation. It was a good movie in own right, there was moments that were good.  However, i just am sick and tired of revisiting old themes, old stores that happened to be recreated from the earlier movies.  It was fun, it had issues.  Aside from that it's worth 10 dollars to see.

I haven't gone into the full on ep 7 discussion thread, but the above pretty much hits my take on the head. Ep 7 is a good SW film, but doesn't match everyone's hype. About the only thing I would add it that there's too much going on.

Otherwise...
The GF & I saw Spectre. Lordy was that a fun Bond film. It played off of Skyfall decently. Plus, if Spectre is Craig's last Bond, it ended well.

I also saw the Man from U.N.C.L.E. film last weekend at a friends. I enjoyed it. Wonderful that the film was kept as a period (if you can call the 60's period...) piece.

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #1144 on: 11 January 2016, 23:08:36 »
"Black Mirror," the "White Christmas" episode. Total mind...screw.

Thematically similar to "White Bear," but has its own twists and jabs. What happens to the guy that helps them get the confession? In th words of a friend of mine - it's brutal.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1145 on: 12 January 2016, 14:34:03 »
Both Bill & Ted movies.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1146 on: 12 January 2016, 18:33:22 »
I've got 3 for tonight and later this week to watch..
First up is Christian bales "Rescue dawn"..
2nd is the Nick Nolte / Robert Redford "a walk in the woods".  Here's hoping its as good as folks have said.
Last up is the Transporter refueled..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1147 on: 19 January 2016, 10:30:05 »
finished watching the transporter trilogy...still mindless fun as i remember it...
then my youngest decided to put in barney the purple dino...

not a good combination...still have nightmares and vague sense of forboeding when i see anything in color purple...

go figure...
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1148 on: 19 January 2016, 13:40:57 »
Decided to rewatch Serenity.

Still a good movie, but I just think I'm a little Whedoned out.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1149 on: 19 January 2016, 18:13:11 »
finished watching the transporter trilogy...still mindless fun as i remember it...
then my youngest decided to put in barney the purple dino...

not a good combination...still have nightmares and vague sense of forboeding when i see anything in color purple...

go figure...

You could have just let him watch it on his own, so you didn't get that foreboding..

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1150 on: 01 February 2016, 13:18:25 »
You could have just let him watch it on his own, so you didn't get that foreboding..
she is 3 and knows how to torture her parents already...i still do not know where she found the disk with the purple nightmare...i thought i destroyed them all...

i found old brit show in my box brittas empire forgot how funny and enjoyable chris barrie can be
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1151 on: 18 February 2016, 11:41:27 »
my youngest finnally had decided to see all original star wars trilogy without the the "improvements" her verdict ? enhanced edit sucks major monkey butt!
hmm for an 8 year old she already has picked up a lot of my attitudes about the trilogy...i must be doing something wrong?

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1152 on: 18 February 2016, 12:20:32 »
Finished Season 4 of "Babylon 5." About to embark on Season 5.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1153 on: 18 February 2016, 14:46:05 »
I watched Star Trek Into Darkness yesterday and did not think it was that bad.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1154 on: 19 February 2016, 06:34:05 »
I watched Star Trek Into Darkness yesterday and did not think it was that bad.

Don't say that too loudly; the crowd with the torches and pitchforks might hear you. (Not saying I disagree with you.)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1155 on: 19 February 2016, 15:13:56 »
Personally i can't stand those who dislike it just cause Kirk was the one to die, or that it was an Abrams film. 

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1156 on: 23 February 2016, 11:52:35 »
Personally i can't stand those who dislike it just cause Kirk was the one to die, or that it was an Abrams film.

old school trekkies will hate the new movies on simple principle...they are way off from rodenberrys vision of star trek....
after he died a lot of effort was made with st tng to keep it close to it but it was not bringing in the ratings or money...

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1157 on: 23 February 2016, 12:02:46 »
Not a movie, but binge watching my The Maxx bootlegs.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #1158 on: 23 February 2016, 18:55:54 »
Not a movie, but binge watching my The Maxx bootlegs.
Wow! Haven't seen reference to that show in a lot of years. Enjoyed it while it lasted.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1159 on: 23 February 2016, 19:39:14 »
old school trekkies will hate the new movies on simple principle...they are way off from rodenberrys vision of star trek....
after he died a lot of effort was made with st tng to keep it close to it but it was not bringing in the ratings or money...

To be fair, it was entirely unnecessary to use the original series characters for the new movies unless they wanted to draw in the old fans.  They could have just as easily made the new movies about an entirely different crew.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1160 on: 25 February 2016, 11:42:20 »
Wow! Haven't seen reference to that show in a lot of years. Enjoyed it while it lasted.
man did i enjoy the mtv block around that show liquid televison was bit weird tho

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #1161 on: 25 February 2016, 11:58:06 »
man did i enjoy the mtv block around that show liquid televison was bit weird tho

The 80s and early 90s were a fun time for animation.  The industry had contracted in the 70s, sold out to do product shilling, and there was a group of young animators that were unhappy with the conservative cringe of the major studios.  Networks like MTV and Nickelodeon in the States were attempting format changes and gave their creatives a wide berth (Pete and Pete falls into this same category).  Things like Liquid Television or Ren & Stimpy would never be possible today because their networks are so successful they can't take chances like they used to.

The Maxx was one of my favorites because of the use of stationary imagery.  The backgrounds in The Maxx and the overall brooding tone still impress me like no other.  There were instances of live action and CGI integration, too.  Those were cute, but the willingness to linger on stationary scenes with voice over was interesting at the time, and downright heroic these days. 
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #1162 on: 25 February 2016, 14:43:02 »
ren and stimpy really broke the mold at that time...lol i still remembr reading how execs at nic went ape after seeing the first season of that particular gem

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #1163 on: 26 February 2016, 06:50:27 »
ren and stimpy really broke the mold at that time...lol i still remembr reading how execs at nic went ape after seeing the first season of that particular gem

I was at least 18 by the time it came out. Some aspects of it amused me, but I could only handle it in small doses.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1164 on: 26 February 2016, 10:38:39 »
Tried to watch American Hustle and just couldn't get into it, so I stopped at about 1.5 hours (it was on TV). I don't think I'm going to try to watch a repeat.
Watched World War Z and enjoyed it, but wished they hadn't claimed it was based on the book of the same name.
Rented Kingsman: The Secret Service and enjoyed it enough that I will be buying it when I get a job.

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #1165 on: 01 March 2016, 18:45:22 »
Just watched Batman bad blood. Very good movie. Currently watching Justice League war.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1166 on: 05 March 2016, 21:55:04 »
Just got done watching the Bill Murray film, Rock the Kasbah.  Man was it fun, even Bruce Willis's role was good.  But i never knew it was based on a UK documentary about a real to life afgan idol..

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1167 on: 06 March 2016, 08:12:37 »
I re-watched one of my favorites: Bend it Like Beckham. It's funny, I'm like the least sporty chick you'll evers meet, but this movie makes me happy. :) The themes of being yourself and going afters what *you* want in life I think can resonate with anyone, and the subtext - the original intent of Jules & Jess falling in love is obvious, but with Jessminder having obvious chemistry with both Juliet and the gorgeous Joe... XD  - this movie really speaks to the Bisexual experience, as unintentional as it may be. :)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #1168 on: 06 March 2016, 13:56:40 »
Oh yeah, the original lesbian romance subtext between the two characters was so strong that it honestly felt forced when they switched to having both of them attracted to the same guy halfway through the movie.

Miz Anna

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1169 on: 06 March 2016, 15:40:12 »
^ Studio interference. It's a shame.