Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 140087 times)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #180 on: 23 April 2014, 11:33:59 »
Why?

I think Kevin Eastman said he is involved in this one.  He and Peter Laird of late have been pushing for a tone similar to that of the original Mirage line.  The 1990 movie had some elements of it, but also blended the over the top nature of the animated series.  Generation Turtles is old enough to handle the grittier setting of the '84 series.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #181 on: 23 April 2014, 11:39:08 »
I think Kevin Eastman said he is involved in this one.  He and Peter Laird of late have been pushing for a tone similar to that of the original Mirage line.  The 1990 movie had some elements of it, but also blended the over the top nature of the animated series.  Generation Turtles is old enough to handle the grittier setting of the '84 series.

Last I heard, Michael Bay was directing and the origin of the turtles was being changed to space. How I desperately hope I heard wrong.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #182 on: 23 April 2014, 12:52:11 »
Last I heard, Michael Bay was directing and the origin of the turtles was being changed to space. How I desperately hope I heard wrong.
Not directing. Producing, and the space thing not going to happen.  As far as anything else... speculation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_(2014_film)

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #183 on: 23 April 2014, 14:20:44 »
The "turtles from space" thing was actually that the movie was taking place in an alternate dimension the turtles crossed into, which in the TMNT universe sense, makes them aliens.  But, that was supposedly a script that was scrapped.

I wonder if the "aliens" thing was confused for the Utrons part of their origin.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #184 on: 23 April 2014, 18:13:27 »
Watched Transcendence, it was okay.  Not good, not really bad, just blah.  If you want to watch it in a theater, wait until it hits the discount theater (I went during the matinee time, instead of prime time).

There could have been so much more done to show what a person in a computer could do to out think people that is was quite sad, plus the ending could have been much better.

What should have happened:
The first attack can be a surprise, but Will should have been ready for the second.  From there, use his nanotechnology fired from pressurized air cannons to auto-steer to hit the artillery.  Clouds of robosquitos attack the group, and anyone with a flamethrower is attacked by the fired nanotech.  The RIFT, mercs, and government types take shelter in the building they prepped with copper sheathing, and bunker down.

Will then goes to meet with Dr Tagger, and asks why he never called in the 2 years Will has been building his facility.  The government agent replies that the only number available goes to an automated service.  Will just looks at him in a 'you idiot' expression, and Dr Tagger facepalms.  Will states that all armed RIFT members will remain within the building, the mercs can only go out if they are unarmed, while the government agent and Dr Tagger are welcome to wander around.  Will explains that a year earlier he invested in an asteroid rendezvous launch, and the probe contained the necessary equipment to start Von Neumanning the rock.  It has power to keep Will alive, a computer core for Will to think, and enough nanotech to slowly build.  The facility shown in the movie was just the distraction to focus everyone's attention.

As they are talking, have one of the mercs decide to make a run for the main facility.  The other mercs cover the fanatic, and Will cannot stop him.  The merc has a USB hookup to upload the virus that was developed, and is goingto upload it into Will's main core.  (somehow) the fanatic manages to get into the facility, and heads for the main core.  Will turns to Bree, and explains that he cannot stop the fanatic.  He tells her that if the fanatic reaches his core and uploads the virus, that ~50 million people are going to die within 24 hrs (plane crashes, critical medical support, etc).  If she can delay her fanatic by a minute, Will can make those systems autonomous (with reduced efficiency, since Will was coordinating everything).  Also, if the fanatic succeeds, it will cause the deaths of ~2 billion people over the next year.

She tries to call him over the radio, but her radio is broken (gunfire).  Will lets her speak over the building comm systems, but the fanatic refuses to listen.  Relaying through the fanatic's radio Bree tries again, but the fanatic tosses it away, thinking Will is trying to deceive him.  The fanatic reaches the core, and uploads the virus.  Will mentions that he only managed to get the number down to ~15 million within 24 hrs.

As the virus spreads, you see the world going dark.  Will and Evelyn have uploaded to the asteroid, so are safe.  The Agent and Dr tagger look at Bree, and tell her that her fanatic just killed humanity, as we will have to relearn everything.  She looks at them, defiant, as they got rid of the AI threat.  But then the mercs walk over.  One of them mentions that he has a daughter on life support in a hospital, and her actions just killed his daughter.  He shoots her, but not a killing shot.  Several mercs follow, each of them giving a name, and that she killed their relative.  Each gunshot also shows the expression that her fear and fanaticism in her beliefs has just killed humanity.  She finally falls down, to die alone and miserable.

Followup:
Dr Waters travels to Will and Evelyn's house, and starts to take care of their garden.  He had loved Evelyn, and had promised to take care of her.  The least he can do now is take care of the garden.

Will is standing on the surface of the asteroid, with his wife, and they look out over the stars, seeing all the potential.

The employees of Will's company also come together, and they hold hands.  You see the nanotechnology connect them briefly, and they say they will help humanity recover.

Lesson - fanaticism is the enemy, not technology.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #185 on: 24 April 2014, 02:05:20 »
The review I read for Transcendence said that it looked nice, but there was a 404 error when you tried to find the plot.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #186 on: 25 April 2014, 01:02:18 »
Why?

Cause that animated POS they had a few years back was crap.  And i would like to see them back on the screen in live action.  Have not seen many DVDs for the trio of films they had in the late 80s-early 90s..

The review I read for Transcendence said that it looked nice, but there was a 404 error when you tried to find the plot.

So another good idea, done in by directing/plot.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #187 on: 25 April 2014, 09:54:41 »
Cause that animated POS they had a few years back was crap. 

I take it you mean TMNT.  Turtles Forever was a fun idea and showcases the evolution of the franchise.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #188 on: 26 April 2014, 01:18:04 »
Crocodile Dundee 2.  I haven't watched that movie in years.

Doesn't look as good streaming from Netflix, but still a good use of a Friday night.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #189 on: 26 April 2014, 08:30:13 »
I take it you mean TMNT.  Turtles Forever was a fun idea and showcases the evolution of the franchise.
Indeed.

Watched Planet of the Apes recently. Still a classic that's a hybrid of Star Trek and The Twilight Zone.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

BrokenMnemonic

• Lieutenant
« Reply #190 on: 26 April 2014, 14:55:33 »
I was feeling all intellectual and stuff, so I watched Mr Popper's Penguins. Then I watched the Avengers Assemble movie, because I didn't get to go to the comic fair today after all.

It's more interesting than optimal, and therefore better. O0 - Weirdo

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #191 on: 26 April 2014, 15:34:08 »

That i did..

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #192 on: 26 April 2014, 22:11:28 »
John Carter: A Princess of Mars  O0
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

BobTheZombie

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
    • BobTheZombie at Sarna.net
« Reply #193 on: 27 April 2014, 11:41:35 »
I saw God's Not Dead on Friday. Other than the music, it was pretty good.
« Last Edit: 27 April 2014, 11:43:25 by BobTheZombie »
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details

Jimmyray73

• Lieutenant
  • I will not be toyed with!
« Reply #194 on: 28 April 2014, 12:38:54 »
John Carter: A Princess of Mars  O0

I thoroughly enjoyed that movie in the theater, and it's a bummer it got such pitiful marketing support. I would have liked to see a sequel.
Endo has forgotten more about dispensing pain than you or I will ever know...

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #195 on: 28 April 2014, 23:56:06 »
Watching a classic Roman Holiday.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

mdauben

• Lieutenant
  • MARAUDERS!!!
« Reply #196 on: 02 May 2014, 09:40:14 »
I thoroughly enjoyed that movie in the theater, and it's a bummer it got such pitiful marketing support. I would have liked to see a sequel.
Same here.  I thought they did a great job creating the world, its a shame they'll never revisit it.  :(
Mike

7th Sword of Light - House Hiritsu - 3rd Bear Guards

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #197 on: 02 May 2014, 11:06:49 »
Watching the original Mad Max. I haven't seen it in over twenty years. Wow is it dated.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #198 on: 02 May 2014, 11:35:15 »
Same here.  I thought they did a great job creating the world, its a shame they'll never revisit it.  :(

Just watched John Carter the other day, I always enjoy it.  Agreed, would love to see a sequel but Disney totally blew it with marketing.

Watching the original Mad Max. I haven't seen it in over twenty years. Wow is it dated.

I have this on Blue-Ray.  I thought it aged rather well, but that's just me.

Velocity was showing Senna last night to commemorate the 20th anniversary of his death, so that was my evening viewing pleasure  O0

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #199 on: 02 May 2014, 15:18:52 »
Caught 47 ronin last night.  A very good film.  Though man did Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa look old..  Also, i didn't know he was an army brat (just checked his IMDB page)..

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
« Reply #200 on: 04 May 2014, 01:27:37 »
I saw a preview for TMNT while at Amazing Spider Man 2 - the preview was horrible, the Turtles look BAD. They're all CGI and the character models are.. I really can't describe how horribly terrifyingly BAD.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #201 on: 04 May 2014, 10:40:29 »
They look deformed.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #202 on: 04 May 2014, 12:02:32 »
"Deformed" is clearly inferior to "mutated".   Sad but true.

But I do totally agree.  Rubber/plastic costumes appeared much more appealing than what the preview for this new installment showed.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #203 on: 04 May 2014, 13:19:23 »
It's quite possible to do good looking CGI.  The problem with the new Ninja Turtles is that they look like extras from the Toxic Avenger.

THUD

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #204 on: 04 May 2014, 15:01:16 »
Watching a classic Roman Holiday.

Great movie.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #205 on: 04 May 2014, 17:04:39 »
Watched Paul walker's the Hours last night along with Legend of hercules.  The latter was a decent film, but a little too much like the style of 300 and Immortals for my liking.  Also not one actor in it did i recognize other than the ruskie who played the teacher/care giver to the princess (he was the fatherly baddie in taken 2).
Hours was an ok flick too. 

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #206 on: 04 May 2014, 20:08:21 »
Finished Mad Max, followed up with Road Warrior, and now on Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer