Author Topic: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.  (Read 139956 times)

(SMD)MadCow

• Lieutenant
  • 1st Earl of the Bixby Duchy
Re: What Movies Are We Watching: The Flickening.
« Reply #270 on: 09 July 2014, 15:38:49 »
Until they wise up and ditch Michael Bay, I'm not bothering with further Transformers flicks.

I just keep watching the '84 cartoon movie.

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Reply #271 on: 09 July 2014, 16:03:04 »

ditto

[suspicious]And I did enjoy 'Dragon 2[/suspicious]
« Last Edit: 09 July 2014, 16:09:20 by SapphireWolf »

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #272 on: 09 July 2014, 17:12:33 »

That was my introduction to Weird Al Yankovic.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

PsihoKekec

• Captain
  • Your spleen, give it to me!
« Reply #273 on: 10 July 2014, 00:39:34 »
Mine was Naked Gun.
Shoot first, laugh later.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #274 on: 10 July 2014, 01:50:39 »
Saw Accepted this evening.  A nice counter culture look at colleges.  And i loved it they stuck it "to the man".
Though i am really disliking Jonah Hill.  He seems to always play the same sort of character... 
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #275 on: 16 July 2014, 13:03:35 »
Saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes recently.... review to follow shortly, but first..... a stage adaptation of a classic animated movie!   ;)

http://www.paulsvalleydailydemocrat.com/moviereviews/x1667068311/Lyric-s-Little-Mermaid-not-an-A-but-better-than-a-sea

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #276 on: 29 July 2014, 22:46:27 »
The wife and I went to see Lucy starring Scarlet Johansen.

Save your money.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #277 on: 29 July 2014, 22:53:19 »
As soon as I heard the line about 10% of the brain in the trailer I figured that they weren't setting the bar terribly high.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #278 on: 30 July 2014, 01:18:46 »
Why do you say save your money?  What was wrong with it that its not worthy of seeing it in a theater?

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
« Reply #279 on: 30 July 2014, 03:18:06 »
"How to Train Your Dragon 2" in wonderful 3D - absolutely worth the ticket price. As good as, if not slightly better than, the first movie.

Been re-watching some favorites:

"Down Periscope." (Still pretty damn funny.)
"Sneakers" (Also still pretty funny in places)
"Crimson Tide." (It's a damn shame Hackman retired from acting; he's superb in everything I've seen him in. Yes, that even includes his role as Lex Luthor opposite Christopher Reeve.)
"Mr. Mom." (Decently funny, but I picked up an undercurrent in the movie I hadn't before - basically that it seems Aaron Spelling and/or the scriptwriter were against women in the workforce.)

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #280 on: 30 July 2014, 13:47:33 »
Watched 'Noah' last night and it was actually really good. Oddly enough it felt like watching a mixture of Transformers and Lord of the Rings.  ;D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

BobTheZombie

• Master Sergeant
  • When in doubt, alpha strike!
    • BobTheZombie at Sarna.net
« Reply #282 on: 30 July 2014, 20:25:59 »
Watched 'Noah' last night and it was actually really good. Oddly enough it felt like watching a mixture of Transformers and Lord of the Rings.  ;D

-Gunz

You're the first person I've seen that has liked it...
Report Sarna.net issues/inaccuracies here or you can simply PM me the details

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #283 on: 30 July 2014, 21:03:52 »
Memphis Bells
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #284 on: 31 July 2014, 00:26:01 »
You're the first person I've seen that has liked it...

Without crossing into rule 4 territory lets just say I went into it as I would any other movie that is a work of fiction. I didn't have any preconceived notions as to what it should have been and instead just enjoyed it as a well put together movie with an interesting plot, well paced story and memorable scenes.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #285 on: 31 July 2014, 01:29:09 »
"Sneakers" (Also still pretty funny in places)

I'd have loved to see them make a sequel to that.  BUT it was still good for its time.
As for Noah..  I will be catching it either tomorrow or Friday.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #286 on: 31 July 2014, 06:07:04 »
Why do you say save your money?  What was wrong with it that its not worthy of seeing it in a theater?

Lucy was at best a graphics fest, and left out a number of potential threads that could have been used to wrap it up nicely.  If you have a discount theater, go see it there, don't pay full price.  (I watched it too, and was horribly disappointed.)

Towards the end of the movie Lucy was effectively a physical god, and there was no real competition to her.  The only reason the crime boss got close in the end was because Lucy didn't use even a fraction of her power to simply splat him and his men.

A better ending would have been the crime boss thinking over, realizing where Lucy got the power from, and taking the drug himself.  You then have a godwar, with Lucy as a party girl with extreme power on one side, and the crime boss with ruthlessness, focus, and creativity, but lower power on the other side.  Lucy has to defend all of humanity, he just has to defend himself, and send off side strikes to keep her distracted (one example would be Tunguska).  It would be a graphics fest, but it would put the hero (and all humanity) at risk.

There was also a comment about how Lucy was the name for the ancestor of all humanity, which would have been an interesting way for Scarlett Johnanson's character to end up.  Powerless, alone, and the only solution is to change her body to fit history.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #287 on: 31 July 2014, 16:59:08 »
Side note, but that's a widespread misconception about the Australiopithicus afarensis skeleton known as Lucy.  She is not considered to be the ancestor of humanity, only a representative of what humanity's ancestors looked like at the time.  We're not even sure if A. afarensis was a direct ancestor to H sapiens: it could have been a close cousin to the actual ancestral species instead.

Sorry, that's just something that pops up a lot and I wanted to address it.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #288 on: 12 August 2014, 16:30:17 »
Watched 'Edge of Tomorrow' on Sunday, and it was fairly good.  Lots of powered exoskeletons (not armor), scenes that show how the repeater tries to advance the plan along to win the war.  Lots of stuff about how he does little stunt using his future knowledge (and sometimes how others react to it, such as with duct tape).

One thing about how it should have ended:
Tom Cruise at the end when he went into the repair/maintenance bay and the enlisted called out "Officer on Deck", he should have just given the order "as you were".  This is basic courtesy, so the enlisted can keep on working (but they will still pay attention to the officer wandering around near weaponry/hydraulics/welding equipment).  From there, when he goes to meet Sgt Faulkner, instead of her getting up slowly like every other time in the rest of the movie, she hops to her feet as he is an officer.  He then states to her that he has been ordered to do a war interview with the Heroine of Verdun, and would like her to make time available later that week.  As she accepts (it is still an order, just polite), he says, "Thank you Rose".  Cue to her widening her eyes as she realizes the only way he could have known her middle name.

sir_spamalot

• Major
  • Pip pip Spammy O. Jolly good can then.
    • Really Pathetic Productions
« Reply #289 on: 02 September 2014, 12:38:07 »

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #290 on: 04 September 2014, 09:08:56 »
My wife treated me to the 30th Anniversary showing of Ghostbusters on an IMAX screen.  If you forgive the 30-year-old sfx, (and you can, you know you can,) it holds up so well.  The characters, actors, and chemistry is so strong. Ah, it makes me miss Ramis all over again.

False Son

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Kot Blini
« Reply #291 on: 04 September 2014, 11:27:23 »
Watched Prometheus over the weekend again.  I'm reminded of why I hate Damon Lindelof's writing style.
TOYNBEE IDEA
IN MOViE `2001
RESURRECT DEAD
ON PLANET JUPITER

Destroy what destroys you

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #292 on: 04 September 2014, 16:28:39 »
My wife treated me to the 30th Anniversary showing of Ghostbusters on an IMAX screen.  If you forgive the 30-year-old sfx, (and you can, you know you can,) it holds up so well.  The characters, actors, and chemistry is so strong. Ah, it makes me miss Ramis all over again.

I would LOVE for them to finally get the third in the series off the ground, but since we lost one of the 4 core characters (egon!), i wonder who they would get to replace him should they DO get the third film off and running?

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #294 on: 05 September 2014, 06:27:08 »
"Space Pirate: Captain Harlock" (feature length CGI movie), now streaming on Netflix!

Really well done movie; great CGI (not surprising), and engaging story and characters, as well. I do have one thing about it I am particularly curious/confused about.

The scene towards the end where you see Nami's flowers growing amidst some building wreckage suggests that the now-ruined greenhouse was on Earth. If that's the case, then Logan knew all along what Earth actually looked like. The issue with that is he looked as shocked as everyone else (I remember it as such, anyway) when the Earth's true condition was revealed.
The "obvious" fix to that conundrum is that the greenhouse that Logan caused to explode wasn't on Earth. How did the flowers get there, then?
« Last Edit: 06 September 2014, 14:09:37 by Aokarasu »

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #295 on: 05 September 2014, 08:40:12 »
Rewatching Spaceballs.

I was 8 when my mom took me to see that movie at the theather, and I think she was embarrassed when she took me to a movie with that much swearing and other things a 8 year shouldn't see.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #296 on: 05 September 2014, 17:12:35 »
I would LOVE for them to finally get the third in the series off the ground, but since we lost one of the 4 core characters (egon!), i wonder who they would get to replace him should they DO get the third film off and running?

Considering they would have to replace both Egon and Venkman (as the main roadblock up until Ramis's death has been Bill Murray's steadfast refusal to take part,) and Ramis was the main writer (keeping Aykroyd's crazy-awesome somewhat grounded and accessible,) I don't think there should be a third film.  But that is just me.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #297 on: 05 September 2014, 17:21:43 »
Considering they would have to replace both Egon and Venkman (as the main roadblock up until Ramis's death has been Bill Murray's steadfast refusal to take part,) and Ramis was the main writer (keeping Aykroyd's crazy-awesome somewhat grounded and accessible,) I don't think there should be a third film.  But that is just me.

I recently read an article that made a reasonable proposition that a "reboot" of the film with a female cast would be a good idea for several reasons.

Banzai

• Major
« Reply #298 on: 05 September 2014, 17:43:17 »
I recently read an article that made a reasonable proposition that a "reboot" of the film with a female cast would be a good idea for several reasons.

I have less a problem with an all female cast than I have with Feig directing it.   (I have less a problem with stomach flu than I do with Feig's directing.)

bytor

• Lieutenant
« Reply #299 on: 06 September 2014, 14:08:40 »
"Space Pirate: Captain Harlock" (feature length CHI movie), now streaming on Netflix!

I watched this the other night.  I enjoyed it.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky