Author Topic: 3145 vs 3060s Line Companies  (Read 1359 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
3145 vs 3060s Line Companies
« on: 14 April 2014, 11:07:57 »
We have had years accepting the tech difference between 3025 and the '50s & '60s (or better 3025 vs Clan) is pretty distinct.  While 3025 forces can defeat more advanced forces from later eras it is not easy and takes both good luck and skill- even trying to balance it with BV.

Does that same sort of divide apply to IS Invasion/FCCW era forces vs 3145?  Advanced armors, more weapons from Jihad on, new weight saving tech, CASE II and other 'advanced' tech make it just as hard for the typical Invasion/FCCW line company to defeat a BV comparable 3145 line company?

Are our Warhammers, Marauders, Wolverines and Phoenix Hawks finally outdated?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
Re: 3145 vs 3060s Line Companies
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2014, 11:44:14 »
Most things become outdated.  They are a bit dated, but can still kill and destroy things without being destroyed themselves if properly used and supported.  I have not played with the post FCCW stuff so I cannot comment on the matter.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #2 on: 14 April 2014, 11:56:06 »
I don't believe so.  At least, in the FCCW era vs 3145.  The tech difference doesn't honestly bother me because most of it aside from say ferro-lamenellor is rock-paper-scissors as opposed to Clan vs 3025 where raw hitting power, range, and weight savings (and DHS) factored in.  Is it a cake walk for the FCCW era stuff?  No, but I feel they can be competitive.

GreekFire

• Aeternus Ignis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 April 2014, 12:07:15 »
If you balance the forces using BV, I think the 3060 'Mechs will win more times than not. These new armor systems bloat up BV pretty fast, and things like TSEMP certainly don't help. I feel like the sheer wall of guns that the 3060s will be able to bring forward will win it more times than not.

If balancing with numbers...then things are a lot less straight-cut. Radical Heat Sinks are a pretty big deal, and those specialty armors can come in a bit handy here. The proliferation of hyper-specialized designs in 3145 should also work to their advantage IMO. Then there's the new toys being thrown around like ELRMs and effectively unblockable Boosted-c3; that alone is a huge menace. I'd make give it a 50/50 split, maybe 40/60 in favour of the new stuff. It gets worse depending on where your cut-off date is; are SNPPCs, Plasma Rifles and MMLs available to the 3060 forces? If not, 30/70 for the new guys. Those weapon systems are too big a deal to ignore.
Tu habites au Québec? Tu veux jouer au BattleTech? Envoie-moi un message!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #4 on: 14 April 2014, 12:59:19 »
I've played some pickup games with 3145 equipment, i guess i would say it would vary and depends on who your fighting.

Not getting into Battlevalues or how companies are structured differently in the Dark Age and just looking Mech per Mech with only the tonnage mattering. 

A generic force, what your describing could weapon wise handle some forces of equal strength.  Not everyone packing the special equipment.  Periphery has some Star League tech and some sprinkles of advance tech by 3145 if you look at the RAT as some sort reference on who using what.

Couple examples:
I would say force your using would be given a 30/50 chance of success if it were straight up fight without tactical tricky and bumbling on either side.  If your force of Mechs ends up fighting typical Draconis Combine forces, number units have Heavy Ferro-Fibrous armor, cutting damage inflicting to them in half.  3025 era Mechs sometimes have thin armor in comparison to many units. Number 3145 units are fast, DC units even with slowed down by Heavy FF Harden armor are fairly quick, though number of the Mechs have less weapon on average (This my opinion) per unit than you find on some bigger Mechs of 3025. 

You have Capellan force from 3145, they move fast, their packing heat-generating/still PPC worth damage causing Plasma Rifles in many cases.  Then you have guys with the TSEMP Cannons which have go chance mess up your Mechs with penalities or worse on rare occasion shutting your guy down.

That all said, your old force of Wolverines, Warhammers, Marauders and etc still are viable force, it just depends on how you use them against some these units with their neat little advances.   Just don't go in flighting like a Lyran and think raw firepower is the answer to hightech trickery.

« Last Edit: 05 May 2014, 19:21:31 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki