Author Topic: Dragon II preview  (Read 26155 times)

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Re: Dragon II preview
« Reply #180 on: 07 August 2014, 15:37:36 »
Ugh,, seems whatever I say its wrong. Yes, I know there are many details missing. But I think its the highest amount of detail they can get. Yes I wish it was that cool like the artworks but it seems to be impossible for IWM. All in all comparing wayfarers pics with the pics of the first post is a hugh difference. At first i though they have clued the cockpit onto the front of a torso and in wayfarers pics you see the correctly tilted angle of the torso, still the cockpit is just like a box with windows. looks rather cheap/beta. I wouldn´t something like that into production. But I´m a perfectionist. Maybe Games Workshop will do minis for BT one day  ::)
Sadly all the segments were clued into single surfaces. Look at all the lines depicting the single armor plates, the protection plate for the cockpit, the tilted angles of modules all over the torso, its all simpled down to one chunk of metall. If I was the artist who painted the artwork I would be pissed
« Last Edit: 07 August 2014, 15:43:38 by Domi1981 »

Gromik

• Sergeant
« Reply #181 on: 07 August 2014, 15:55:30 »
Sadly all the segments were clued into single surfaces. Look at all the lines depicting the single armor plates, the protection plate for the cockpit, the tilted angles of modules all over the torso, its all simpled down to one chunk of metall. If I was the artist who painted the artwork I would be pissed

A great deal of the armor plate lines are actually on the mini, they're just very light and subtle.  If you look closely at Wayfarer's second pic, you can see the panel lines on the torso, legs, etc.  Not all of them are there, but a lot of them are.  The armor panel lines on the shoulders are not there, for example.

Many thanks to Wayfarer for the pics!

Edit: Those pics confirm it, I'll have to buy a second one.  Haven't been able to assemble mine yet due to a missing leg sprue.   :'(
« Last Edit: 07 August 2014, 15:57:51 by Gromik »

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #182 on: 07 August 2014, 15:59:16 »
Maybe Games Workshop will do minis for BT one day  ::)

Why on earth would you wish a fate like that on a hobby people actually enjoy :o?
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #183 on: 07 August 2014, 16:20:41 »
A grim future where every Battlemech stands with its legs apart, a ranged weapon on the right arm and a close combat one in the left
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #184 on: 07 August 2014, 16:26:11 »
I'd be more worried about the price hike. I'd rather my minis not go from a few minis a year to a mini every few years...only way I could see that working out is if I turned to a life of crime.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #185 on: 07 August 2014, 16:28:57 »
Maybe Games Workshop will do minis for BT one day  ::)
... and that will be the day I buying BT minis all together because I can't afford to spend that type of money on a table top game.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #186 on: 07 August 2014, 20:33:35 »
Games Workshop and Battletech should not be used in the same sentence. It's like dividing by zero.  :-X
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #187 on: 07 August 2014, 20:56:28 »
Games Workshop and Battletech should not be used in the same sentence. It's like dividing by zero.  :-X

But you just...
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #188 on: 07 August 2014, 21:08:08 »
Wow, that Dragon II really a big sucker. Its just about the same size as the Fafnir!

Thanks for sharing, Wayfarer.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #189 on: 08 August 2014, 00:09:29 »
I'd be more worried about the price hike. I'd rather my minis not go from a few minis a year to a mini every few years...only way I could see that working out is if I turned to a life of crime.

ROFL price hike..

You DO know that BT is about 1:1 price per mini as GW stuff right?   $60 GW box of 5 guys = $12/mini rounded....same as BT mechs.  Alot of missing reality in this here thread :p
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #190 on: 08 August 2014, 00:53:25 »
Man, whatever it is you've had today that makes you think the cockpit is right...I think I need some of that. The cockpit is STILL off. Go back and look at the images of the cover & art inside of TRO 3145 Draconis Combine. You will see the cockpit is NOT right. Look at the overall angle of the cockpit, space between the front of the "glass" of the cockpit & the bottom where it meets the chest. Etc...

I too am amazed at the length of this thread. I figured it would have dropped by now.

Maybe I am confused but the cockpit looks fine to me.  Yes I see what it is that you are trying to point out but seriously it looks fine.  And if I remember something that somebody said in a previous thread or year on here is that mini's will never truly match up with the TRO artwork or something like that?

But I think what is bothering me about this is that this is mini for a game and yet there are those who are being so overly critical of something that is going to be handled on a regular basis?  This isn't some model that once it is done you put up on a shelf or in a display case and let people who come over and marvel at it.

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #191 on: 08 August 2014, 03:13:28 »
Maybe I am confused but the cockpit looks fine to me.  Yes I see what it is that you are trying to point out but seriously it looks fine.  And if I remember something that somebody said in a previous thread or year on here is that mini's will never truly match up with the TRO artwork or something like that?

But I think what is bothering me about this is that this is mini for a game and yet there are those who are being so overly critical of something that is going to be handled on a regular basis?  This isn't some model that once it is done you put up on a shelf or in a display case and let people who come over and marvel at it.

One thing I have seen here in the miniatures preview, etc threads:
There are people who will love every mini, no matter what.
There are people who will hate every mini, no matter what.

These two groups will be the most vocal. If you give a balanced opinion, one side
will be upset at you for not loving the mini. The other side will be upset at you for
not hating the mini.

Eventually one of two things happen: people get tired of the arguing at each other,
(each side being conviced they are right, and the other side is wrong and unwilling
to listen to a compromise point of view) and the thread goes quiet and is forgotten.
OR: the two sides ratchet up the vitriol about their opinion, getting more and more
angry at each other until someone crosses a line, the Mod's step in, and the thread
gets locked, and warnings and bans get handed out.

Personally, I am hoping this thread goes the first option, because the second is always
kind of sucky..
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #192 on: 08 August 2014, 03:15:56 »
This isn't some model that once it is done you put up on a shelf or in a display case...
But that's exactly what I will do with it once I get my hands on a Dragon II. Actually that's what I do with most of my miniatures, because painting miniatures, not playing tt games is my hobby. So display shelf it is or rather a dark box never seeing the light of day again...

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #193 on: 08 August 2014, 05:48:42 »

These two groups will be the most vocal. If you give a balanced opinion, one side
will be upset at you for not loving the mini. The other side will be upset at you for
not hating the mini.

Eventually one of two things happen: people get tired of the arguing at each other,
(each side being conviced they are right, and the other side is wrong and unwilling
to listen to a compromise point of view) and the thread goes quiet and is forgotten.
OR: the two sides ratchet up the vitriol about their opinion, getting more and more
angry at each other until someone crosses a line, the Mod's step in, and the thread

Personally, I am hoping this thread goes the first option, because the second is always
kind of sucky..

Agreed...although I have been a little vocal about the mini, it didn't stop me from buying 2 of them for my personal collection. If it was closer to the art, even if it was a little off, I'd be ok with it. I just think the sculpt is too far off to be acceptably "close" to the art. If only 1-2 parts were off, it would be fine. As it has been said, we will never get a mini that is exactly like the art, but in this case...it's just not close enough.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #194 on: 08 August 2014, 07:15:37 »

not hating the mini.

kind of sucky..

Now thats a bit unfair to me. This is the first mech I am complaining about. I actually love the new Thunderbolt models. All of them. Although I think again there some details missing. but all in all Its great with the legs being in movement and the detailed cockpit. The new designs look like actual machines that can be sent out into a real battlefield and thats what I missed with the old figures. Remember the unseen Battlemaster? With a cockpit that exposed it wouldn´t last long. Or think of the useless clunky legs and feet of D. Loose? I´m glad that this time is over. The TRO 3025 was okay but after that Loose lost the ground under his feet. Now the Mechs look again like industrial robots, real robots. Its believable that they can move.

Now the only thing we have to deal with are faces and penises. Those have to go #P

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #195 on: 08 August 2014, 08:46:39 »
Now the only thing we have to deal with are faces and penises. Those have to go #P

Domi1981 likes faceless eunuch's.  ::)

I agree on the Thunderbolt, but that's a perfect example of a mech that is much closer to the art than the Dragon II ever hopes to be.

RABIDFOX50

• Warrant Officer
  • 1507 Strike RCT
« Reply #196 on: 08 August 2014, 11:43:37 »
Battletech collector/player since 1987
Toss a coin to your Witcher, oh valley of plenty!
Listen! Do you smell that?

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #197 on: 08 August 2014, 11:57:38 »
Now thats a bit unfair to me. This is the first mech I am complaining about. I actually love the new Thunderbolt models. All of them. Although I think again there some details missing. but all in all Its great with the legs being in movement and the detailed cockpit. The new designs look like actual machines that can be sent out into a real battlefield and thats what I missed with the old figures. Remember the unseen Battlemaster? With a cockpit that exposed it wouldn´t last long. Or think of the useless clunky legs and feet of D. Loose? I´m glad that this time is over. The TRO 3025 was okay but after that Loose lost the ground under his feet. Now the Mechs look again like industrial robots, real robots. Its believable that they can move.

Well, actually, I was more looking at this is a passionate fanbase. There people who hate every mini. There are people
who love every mini. Not, these are not necessarily the same people every time. I also was not singling you, or anyone
else, out. (Actually..I think this one has had a greater degree of reasonableness to it then similar threads in the past).

However, with minis(OK, and a lot of other things on here), a lot of people react emotionally first, and lock their opinions
in ferrocrete. It is the one downside to having such passionate fans. They are, well, passionate.
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #198 on: 08 August 2014, 12:04:56 »
And as a Sociologist with focus on Advertising and brand sociology and can tell you that this is the best that can happen to company ;)

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #199 on: 08 August 2014, 13:09:45 »
I will say this; there are inspired moments when hand done work reaches a pinnacle that is simply unparalleled by digital. A true work of art.

Digital might be more consistent, and re-workable, but there's nothing quite like hand-done perfection. 

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #200 on: 08 August 2014, 13:46:27 »
I will say this; there are inspired moments when hand done work reaches a pinnacle that is simply unparalleled by digital. A true work of art.

Digital might be more consistent, and re-workable, but there's nothing quite like hand-done perfection.

Art will always be art, no matter if it was done by hand, or computer...but something done by hand can be a masterpiece & truly a skilled creation whereas a computer generated item will never be.

Granted it's technically done by hand, but entering a design on a computer is a million times different than actually "creating" something from scratch like a miniature.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #201 on: 08 August 2014, 15:27:02 »
Or think of the useless clunky legs and feet of D. Loose? I´m glad that this time is over.

Oh, you poor (or maybe fortunate?) soul. You haven't seen what came out of the early DA. You don't know what useless and clunky legs are until you've seen a Legionnaire... And then imagined it trying to run at over 100 kph.  :'(

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #202 on: 09 August 2014, 04:12:40 »
Which brings me to another idea: the power myomer bundles and how they are barely credible within most mech designs. i mean most mechs look like their arms and legs are operated with pneumatics and servos. That is actually cool to look at but it would not make it believable that such a Legionaire could run within 118 Km/h. I mean, in relation to an ant we look very clunky (not to think of elephants) but the strenght of muscles does incredible things (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFojqoAfJ7g)
With most mech designs I wonder where these myomer muscles are implemented. The old unseens had more room for this imagination. The concept of muscles being implemented into the unseen wasp was quite credible. The locust not so. But I´m getting off topic. Sorry.

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #203 on: 10 August 2014, 23:46:02 »
But you just...

Your avatar of a pony peeking nervously over something is perfect for that line. ;D

Register