Author Topic: Dragon II preview  (Read 26156 times)

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Dragon II preview
« on: 14 May 2014, 18:50:44 »
Holy crap is this a fantastic mini!  It comes in a ton  of pieces which allows for a great amount of poses.  The single best thing is that it comes with parts to make either the DRG-11K Dragon II from TRO3145, or the original DRH-1K!  The Arrow IV piece is separate, as is the LRM "nosecone", which makes configuring it simple.  It's a large mini compared to the original, but scales well with current stuff.  This is a master, so size and even number of pieces might be subject to change.  I'll let the pics speak now.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
Re: Dragon II preview
« Reply #1 on: 14 May 2014, 18:52:32 »
Parts shot.  I was shorted an upper leg, which is why this min is two weeks late!   :-[  Sorry about the lack of detail on the back.  I would have made it look better, but I wanted the mini done.  I basically took that shot to show that this isn't a flat, boring mini from behind. 

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #2 on: 14 May 2014, 18:53:44 »
Comparison with second sculpt Dragon, modified by Mr. Balk into Takashi Kurita's ride (I left off the fallen Daishi it's supposed to be stepping on!).

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2014, 18:54:06 »
Another comparison.

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2014, 18:54:33 »
And a shot with a plastic Box Set Thor.

Charlemagne

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor is Bulletproof
« Reply #5 on: 14 May 2014, 18:56:31 »
Aaaaannndddd there goes any spending money I was going to have on payday.  I am so getting a lance of those bad boys.
Honor is Bulletproof

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: 14 May 2014, 19:15:02 »
Jal, first off...awesome work, honestly...that's a really great job! Now...the following has NOTHING to do with your work (unless you sculpted this thing)...

Unfortunately, unless it's because of the angle the mech is at, it does NOT represent the art very well. Look at the cockpit area, and the angle of the chest...and compare it to the image below. Plus, where the arms meet the front of the chest...the flat pieces that run across the mech, those are WAY too big and should not stick out that far. I don't know if this part is nit picking or I'm actually wrong on this one, but the roundness of the arms to me looks like it is bigger in the art.

This thing will be yet another disappointment for a lot of people, but I'm sure there will be a lot that also love it. I just don't understand why it's so hard to make the mini represent the art we love so dearly. Perhaps I just don't understand because I'm not a sculptor & do NOT have the ability to do that kind of work...but I just don't get why there are so many that are just...off.

Plus it reminds me of the Grizzly.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

abou

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2014, 20:13:02 »
I'm usually not harsh on new sculpts the way some others are, but... oi.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2014, 20:33:55 »
Dragon,
I agree with you. The sculpt does not really match the art in my opinion. The entire torso and cockpit area look completely different.

Jal,
Did you pose it leaning forward or is that what the sculpt looks when it is errect? It is cool that they are adding pieces to make an alternate configuration, but what is the DRH-1K? Did you mean the DRG-1N?
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

SteelWarrior

• Lieutenant
    • SteelWarrior Battletech
« Reply #9 on: 14 May 2014, 20:34:10 »
I think a good chunk of it is the pictufe angle.  The art shows the mech standing straight but the mini is bent over in a run.  I agree the support braces across the chest are larger then needed but would be cut down easily enough

Things I really like...

1. Posable - Finally a Dragon that can be easily made into the fast moving PITA its meant to be
2. Construction Options - Nice to see options out of the blister

Ill likely pick up a couple when I place my 3145 order...
Check out my Battletech Youtube Channel at:

SteelWarrior Battletech
https://www.youtube.com/user/SteelWarriorBT

For Video Battle Reports/Hobby Tutorials/Product Reviews

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2014, 20:46:07 »
I'm really excited for this mini. While I agree that it doesn't match the art 100% I don't really care because it still looks good IMHO. Also, it can be assembled as a Dragon/Grand Dragon! How cool is that?! I'm going to purchase a bunch of these now instead of just the one I had pre-ordered. Thank you to all involved, this seriously exceeded my expectations.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2014, 20:48:05 »
Dragon, is it possible that some comprimises were made to better represent a classic dragon with that nosecone piece?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2014, 21:06:20 »
Jal,
Did you pose it leaning forward or is that what the sculpt looks when it is errect? It is cool that they are adding pieces to make an alternate configuration, but what is the DRH-1K? Did you mean the DRG-1N?

Yes, I meant the -1N.  There are no super-secret Dragon variants to be found.  As far as posing, it's a seventeen-piece mini with multiple ball joints.  It looks like it does because I made it look like that.  The range of poseability on this mini is near infinite. 

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2014, 21:16:59 »
While I'm very disappointed it does not follow the gorgeous artwork really all that much, it is (disregarding that fact) a nice looking mini, and it will certainly find it's way into my Sword of Light.

17th Spartans

• Warrant Officer
  • Long Live the Dragon! Long Live the Regiment!
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2014, 22:27:16 »
 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 :o :o :o :o [drool] [drool] [drool] 8) 8) [AAAH] [whipit] I Love the Dragon as a Mech! I have 13 ( or so ) in My Army. I had no idea there is a Dragon 2 And now I want 13 of them also! The Dragon approves! Battle!  O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 8) 8) 8) 8) [cheers] [cheers] [cheers] [rockon] [rockon] [AAAH] [whipit] Yeah! 
The Dragon knows......
Long Live the Regiment!

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2014, 22:27:51 »
I am interested in seeing some more images of the Dragon II. Your paint work is excellent yet I am torn on the mini now. I am interested to see what the 1N version of this looks like.
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

TheMaster1955

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2014, 22:41:44 »
nice  O0 O0
Life: Some assembly required!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #17 on: 14 May 2014, 23:20:23 »
While I'll agree it's a shame that the mini isn't closer to the art, it's still a intimidating beast and a nice looking mini. A far better turn out than the Vaulter IV IMO.  The LRMs are a nice touch O0
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2014, 00:04:51 »
The fairly significant deviation from the art is disappointing. The art is so good, why do anything but faithfully reproduce the artwork? I appreciate that the art and sculpts have finally started to move away from the "gun tumors" era where every weapon seemed to need an oversized mount that stuck out at some insane angle. The scuplt is still too large and chunky. Its not awful though. Better many scuplts in the last several years.

I have some real hope for 3145 and a new generation of mechs that look like Battletech again.

Paint job is excellent as always. 

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #19 on: 15 May 2014, 00:26:19 »
Jal, any possibility we can see one of these with the 1N set up?
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #20 on: 15 May 2014, 00:49:35 »
Dragon, is it possible that some comprimises were made to better represent a classic dragon with that nosecone piece?

Yes. A little birdy told me this was indeed taken into consideration. Is it 100% truthful to the 3145 art; no. Is it a beautiful mini that strikes a compromise between a classic that was in desperate need of a resculpt. Yes. So, suck it up cupcake. Wes gots a new Dragon!  :D

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #21 on: 15 May 2014, 02:50:32 »
Is it 100% truthful to the 3145 art; no. Is it a beautiful mini that strikes a compromise between a classic that was in desperate need of a resculpt. Yes.   :D

-Gunz

I'll settle for that
Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

SDR-5V

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2014, 06:10:28 »
First of all: Great painting Jal Phoenix!

However, sadly I must echo those that are disappointed by the mini itself.
I really do appreciate that the attempt was made to allow building a nicer looking DRG-1N, and i will at least give it a try. However, IMHO the sculpt is too large and chunky for this purpose.
For a 11k the chunkyness might be okay, but still I do not like when my mechs don't fit on a hexbase.

I will purchase one of these for my collection. But not more.

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Dragon II preview
« Reply #23 on: 15 May 2014, 06:31:27 »
I have to agree with the others; nice paint job, just not that impressed by the miniature.
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

M4cr0Dutch

• Sergeant
  • Fate sits high in the bidder's chair.
    • Old School Gaming
« Reply #24 on: 15 May 2014, 06:49:28 »
Yeah, I love the way the old design has a snout just like a dragon; it seems sad to lose it (even in the artwork). It just doesn't seem like a dragon to me. That said, it still looks pretty cool as Mechs go and this is a great preview.

Cheers
 O0 
"If you see a Falcon not in a Summoner, Hellbringer or Kit Fox, double your caution."

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #25 on: 15 May 2014, 07:23:54 »
Yeah, I love the way the old design has a snout just like a dragon; it seems sad to lose it (even in the artwork). It just doesn't seem like a dragon to me. That said, it still looks pretty cool as Mechs go and this is a great preview.
Then you will love the extra bit which allows you to turn this new Dragon II into a Dragon - the snout with the LRM launcher. Add this part, leave off the Arrow launcher and you have a brand new Dragon :)

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: 15 May 2014, 07:44:11 »
I just don't understand why it's so hard to make the mini represent the art we love so dearly. Perhaps I just don't understand because I'm not a sculptor & do NOT have the ability to do that kind of work...but I just don't get why there are so many that are just...off.

You've hit the biggest part of it already. Try to imagine a task where you're expected to:
A) copy something exactly that can't be copied exactly.
B) re-create it exactly when viewed from multiple angles while only having one angle to work from.
C) sometimes use multiple sources that conflict - again, matching them exactly.
D) not copy it exactly where its "bad" in someone else's opinion.
E) Make it in as few pieces as possible while making it as flexible as possible.
F) not make it too stiff, whatever that means.
G) not make it too dynamic, whatever that means.
H) make it to two different scales at the same time to please everyone.
I) include extras to please more people.
J) absolutely don't compromise anything to please more people.
K) do it all down to the millimeter.
L) have it molded and cast, which can mess with proportions even if you've navigated all the previous requirements well.

Sounds easy, right?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #27 on: 15 May 2014, 08:35:23 »
Yes. A little birdy told me this was indeed taken into consideration. Is it 100% truthful to the 3145 art; no. Is it a beautiful mini that strikes a compromise between a classic that was in desperate need of a resculpt. Yes. So, suck it up cupcake. Wes gots a new Dragon!  :D

-Gunz
It has a pretty body, but dang that face is flat.  #P
Then again that's pretty accurate of the artwork too.
Though it looks like with the art, it is standing up more.
With the mini, it looks like more of a running pose.
So I'll see how it looks static when I eventually build one before giving full judgement.

Though with some kitbashing one could make this look like some primitive Archer.
I'd need another arm for the gun hand side, move some missle pods to the side, remove the artillery piece...
Yeah, this is a good plan.
« Last Edit: 15 May 2014, 08:41:38 by Atlas3060 »
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 15 May 2014, 08:38:11 »
Sounds easy, right?

Not really.

But what happened with cockpit frame? It's at least in trice thicker, then should be by the art.   ???

Still, I'll take at least four of them now.  O0 Or twelve?  :-\
« Last Edit: 15 May 2014, 08:44:42 by Siberian-troll »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #29 on: 15 May 2014, 08:44:26 »
I think I'm in love, this mini is pure awesome.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Register