Author Topic: Updates to MUL  (Read 38220 times)

dwinter

• Sergeant
Updates to MUL
« on: 13 July 2014, 17:59:43 »
I know the MUL is currently being updated to include all the new elements from the AS Companion onto the existing draft of the cards (thanks BTW to the people involved in doing this) but are we going to be told when the new versions have been uploaded?

I'm not expecting this soon as I realise what a massive undertaking it is, just wondered if we would be notified about it.
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
Re: Updates to MUL
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2014, 21:12:11 »
I would think there would be some kind of announcement. However, I can assure you that I check the MUL daily; I'll shout it from the mountain tops when it happens.  :D

As for an ETA I don't think we have any hard info right now.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2014, 22:54:43 »
Also in anticipation of a MUL update. I need to update my forces with the new official points values and skill mods.
Plus until the update I can't work on my all LAM merc force... >:(

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #3 on: 14 July 2014, 23:19:48 »
Also in anticipation of a MUL update. I need to update my forces with the new official points values and skill mods.
Plus until the update I can't work on my all LAM merc force... >:(

I'm now even more excited for the update simply because I want to see this all LAM force. Is it an SLDF theme?
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 14 July 2014, 23:54:12 »
I'm now even more excited for the update simply because I want to see this all LAM force. Is it an SLDF theme?
custom, with background fluff as to why they can be flying around in the dark ages period I'm doing up my AS forces for. Right now the plan is all LAM but I only have 4 figures so might have to expand out to non-mech support.. probably WIGE vehicles.  :)

Will depend heavily on the points value of the LAMs.. i've currenlty planned it as a 'sub-size' force, intended to expand one of the company sized forces by a few hundred points or so. i've got ideas for several such units, mostly things like militia's and rebel forces. the kind of thing you might want to include to add diversity to a force, without expanding the point size much.
« Last Edit: 16 July 2014, 21:27:19 by glitterboy2098 »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2014, 21:28:24 »
i suppose that i could use it as a star league force too.. :)  it won't be in league colors however.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 30 July 2014, 09:33:22 »
Whew, just finished 3085, including the LAMs.  TR Prototypes, TR3145, and then all the misc sources to go (experimental TRs, turning points unique 'mechs, etc).
Alexander Knight just finished up warships.

So the major things we have left are dropships/small craft/other odd space vessels, and redoing Battle Armor (still not sure how big of a deal the changes to these were in ASC...)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #7 on: 30 July 2014, 10:55:02 »
Whew, just finished 3085, including the LAMs.  TR Prototypes, TR3145, and then all the misc sources to go (experimental TRs, turning points unique 'mechs, etc).

So the major things we have left are dropships/small craft/other odd space vessels, and redoing Battle Armor (still not sure how big of a deal the changes to these were in ASC...)

Wow, as has been said before thank you to you and all the people involved in this. I've no doubt this has been a great task.

I would think that as the technology level increases the difficulty of creating the MUL cards increases too. Good luck and godspeed.

dwinter

• Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2014, 12:04:58 »

Thanks for update.

So are all the updates to the MUL going live at the same time then so everything is compatible with the ASC?
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2014, 12:24:04 »
Thanks for update.

So are all the updates to the MUL going live at the same time then so everything is compatible with the ASC?
that is what they did when AS came out, converting over from the battleforce version. so probably.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2014, 13:04:16 »
That's the idea.  There may be exceptions.  For example, I think the update might go up without all the units having roles assigned.    One, that part is taking longer and two, it's easy for somebody to tell which unit's have roles and which do not.  As opposed to Alpha Strike stats (has this card been updated yet?).
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #11 on: 30 July 2014, 13:33:07 »
That's the idea.  There may be exceptions.  For example, I think the update might go up without all the units having roles assigned.    One, that part is taking longer and two, it's easy for somebody to tell which unit's have roles and which do not.  As opposed to Alpha Strike stats (has this card been updated yet?).

I think that's a fine compromise; role assignment isn't nearly as important to me as stats and points cost.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 30 July 2014, 13:35:21 »
I think that's a fine compromise; role assignment isn't nearly as important to me as stats and points cost.

You have just broken my heart :(.

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #13 on: 30 July 2014, 13:44:00 »
You have just broken my heart :(.

I'm terribly sorry. That's not to disparage the work going into unit roles. I'm simply more interested in having updated cards. I think the unit roles are important, please don't let my comments discourage you.

dwinter

• Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: 30 July 2014, 15:01:05 »

That's brilliant; thanks a lot for the update and for the clarification on how it will be going live as well.

Really looking forward to the release and I really appreciate the work that you and the rest of the MUL team have put into this.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 30 July 2014, 15:18:41 »
I'm terribly sorry. That's not to disparage the work going into unit roles. I'm simply more interested in having updated cards. I think the unit roles are important, please don't let my comments discourage you.

I was being overly melodramatic. I'd even agree the stats are more important, hence my doing (redoing, no, reredoing) the stats rather than assigning roles first :).

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #16 on: 30 July 2014, 16:06:51 »
I know I am anxiously awaiting the cards more for ROLES than STATS (am I weird?) because I want to take the Battalions I have recently painted and break them down to the lance level.

Sure I could that now, but I also want cards for each, so I am GOOD TO GO should a game crop up!

So, thanx for all the hard work. I can wait.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2014, 10:52:10 »
Speaking of, does the database as-is allow for Roles to be selected like AS special abilities? Or would that be an additional function?

I am the same way about being excited about Roles and lance construction.
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2014, 16:04:18 »
not yet.  hopefully once we get Role data added.

And RS 3145 unabridged done.  next up RS 3145 ntnu.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2014, 16:22:36 »

Yes!
"New players, regardless of age, need to know two things about a wargame. How to blow stuff up and what faction is painted in his favorite color. All the rest can come later when they are hooked." -- A.G.
"But the problem is that it seems to have been made by someone who equates complication with complexity, and that just ain't so." -- iamfanboy

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2014, 16:44:49 »
 ???
RS3145 was the first one I did back in June. Did someone just do it again? NTNU I did not do.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2014, 17:06:59 »
???
RS3145 was the first one I did back in June. Did someone just do it again? NTNU I did not do.

I'm referring to updating the Alpha strike stats, not the roles.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #22 on: 01 August 2014, 17:54:18 »
ah. gotcha. long day flying home.

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2014, 20:45:35 »

Aren't roles flexible, though? I thought you left them blank on purpose, so players could fill in the role themselves if a unit has the possibility of several roles and you choose their formation based on that.

Obviously, some units have fixed roles (a Viking is a Missile Boat, a Locust is a Recon, an Atlas is a Juggernaut), but some 'Mechs don't. A Valkyrie could be a Missile Boat, a Skirmisher, or a Striker; a Zeus could be a Missile Boat or a Brawler, and then there's the Swiss Army 'Mechs like the Timber Wolf or the Charger (3K) that could fit into almost any formation.

Gods, I'd hate trying to pin down the Timber Wolf into a category unless you just shrug and say, "Brawler." Or "Skirmisher."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2014, 20:58:48 »
Everything unit will have a single role assigned.  It doesn't mean it can't do other roles, only that is the primary.  (Otherwise very single Striker would also be a Scout, every Missile Boat would also be a Sniper plus a bunch of other combinations).  As every Steiner player knows, anything that can go at least 3/5 is capable of fulfilling every combat role...
Note that the lance formations have stat requirements that can be fulfilled as well.  The role is just the "easy mode" of filling the base lance formations.  There is always the option of fitting your Mad Cat in a Fire Lance, etc.

Von Ether

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2014, 10:52:52 »
Aren't roles flexible, though? I thought you left them blank on purpose, so players could fill in the role themselves if a unit has the possibility of several roles and you choose their formation based on that.

Obviously, some units have fixed roles (a Viking is a Missile Boat, a Locust is a Recon, an Atlas is a Juggernaut), but some 'Mechs don't. A Valkyrie could be a Missile Boat, a Skirmisher, or a Striker; a Zeus could be a Missile Boat or a Brawler, and then there's the Swiss Army 'Mechs like the Timber Wolf or the Charger (3K) that could fit into almost any formation.

Gods, I'd hate trying to pin down the Timber Wolf into a category unless you just shrug and say, "Brawler." Or "Skirmisher."

Each variant of a mech has an official role, which may not be the same as the other variants. Mechs with a lot of different variants, like the Timber Wolf, have a lot of options to chose from.

Ideal Role is just quickest way to collect mechs for a lance while using Requirements probably gives you a more optimal lance build. Either way, making sure your minis all have similar speeds helps out a bit.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 06 August 2014, 18:56:17 »
Conversiond:3039, 3050U, 3055U, 3058U, 3060, 3067, 3075, 3085, Prototypes and 3145 done.
Switching tracks to get Battle Armor (all of which I skipped earlier, they have to have their damage values redone completely.).
Roles: 3030, 3055, 3058, 3145 (except NTNU). 

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #27 on: 06 August 2014, 19:07:28 »
Conversiond:3039, 3050U, 3055U, 3058U, 3060, 3067, 3075, 3085, Prototypes and 3145 done.
Switching tracks to get Battle Armor (all of which I skipped earlier, they have to have their damage values redone completely.).

Wow, that's a lot in a fairly short time. I know it gets said often but; thanks for all the hard work and updates.

dwinter

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 06 August 2014, 19:20:26 »

Big thanks here as well.  Huge kudos for all the work that is being put in on the communities behalf.  Really looking forward to getting my hands on these when they go live.

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #29 on: 06 August 2014, 20:56:29 »
Big thanks here as well.  Huge kudos for all the work that is being put in on the communities behalf.  Really looking forward to getting my hands on these when they go live.

Warships are also ready.

Register