Author Topic: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza  (Read 159575 times)

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
Re: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza
« Reply #540 on: 29 August 2020, 01:55:15 »
Horses and Ravens.

Ravens appear to be the primary users, but the units appear to be in decline in both Clans
All other IS Clans have, at best, a token presence.
In the Homeworlds...their association with the Jaguars and Spirits and Society probably led to them being seen as "tainted" and although the Coyotes made use of them, they don't seem to have a future in the Homeworlds either.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #541 on: 29 August 2020, 05:38:57 »
I wouldn't read too much into that section about the game and Protos overall. This is more about the author explaining why they didn't work for the Nova Cats. The Nova Cats who were short on most resources, warriors & combat units included.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #542 on: 29 August 2020, 07:29:53 »
I wouldn't read too much into that section about the game and Protos overall. This is more about the author explaining why they didn't work for the Nova Cats. The Nova Cats who were short on most resources, warriors & combat units included.

I'm not, but Era Report 3145 states that only the Ravens and Horses (in the IS) maintain Protos after 3101 and the WoR Supplemental states the Coyotes have abandoned theirs entirely, albeit partly at the insistence of other Clans.

The use of ProtoMechs looks to be in perpetual decline, though there is a chance of recovery.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #543 on: 29 August 2020, 16:59:15 »
The use of ProtoMechs looks to be in perpetual decline, though there is a chance of recovery.
They need make tech achievement that doesn't cause insanity or mental decline.

Or at least to use PAL armor as a replacement for the implants.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Metallgewitter

• Captain
« Reply #544 on: 29 August 2020, 18:31:47 »
Aren't the ultra heavy Protomechs piloted by pilots who have to wear a form of PAL (like the Machina Domini) to pilot the frigging thing? And I think they still need the neural interface. And it seems as if only Clan Cloud Cobra has the special phenotype which was perfected by Clan Blood Spirit to create "real" Protomech pilots. Or have all Homeworld Clans abandoned the Protomech? the War of Reaving only stated that Clan Cloud Cobra was staffing their Clusters with Protomechs because they are cheaper to produce in regards to material

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #545 on: 29 August 2020, 19:39:41 »
Aren't the ultra heavy Protomechs piloted by pilots who have to wear a form of PAL (like the Machina Domini) to pilot the frigging thing? And I think they still need the neural interface. And it seems as if only Clan Cloud Cobra has the special phenotype which was perfected by Clan Blood Spirit to create "real" Protomech pilots. Or have all Homeworld Clans abandoned the Protomech? the War of Reaving only stated that Clan Cloud Cobra was staffing their Clusters with Protomechs because they are cheaper to produce in regards to material
I thought so too, but there was talk that it wasn't the case. They were getting the surgery anyways. (shrugs)
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #546 on: 30 August 2020, 11:33:59 »
They need make tech achievement that doesn't cause insanity or mental decline.

Not really an issue for the Clans. It's an idiotic restriction, but one that isn't an issue for the Clans.

Or at least to use PAL armor as a replacement for the implants.

The they wouldn't fit in the cokcpit.

What they need is

1 - new art. The monster theme didn't go down too well
2 - a revamped ruleset
3 - a niche. Right now, they are in a poor place...BA is so powered up that they are better than many Protos. Light vehicles squeeze them from the upper end. There isn't really any niche in the game for them.

Protos aren't good, they aren't bad - they're just meh and other units often do the same job much better. I don't really think there is any easy way to fix them or make them more popular.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #547 on: 30 August 2020, 11:54:33 »
1 - new art. The monster theme didn't go down too well
2 - a revamped ruleset
3 - a niche. Right now, they are in a poor place...BA is so powered up that they are better than many Protos. Light vehicles squeeze them from the upper end. There isn't really any niche in the game for them.
1 Ew no. They'd end up just being turned into generic mechanical tank-like things, probably, like most of the Society ProtoMechs are. Improving current art an designs, that's OK, redesigning not. TROPrototypes art for the Procyon Quad, Minotaur P2 and Svartalfa is pretty good, animalistic and monstrous. The Hobgoblin, Sprite, Boggart and Satyr-XP are good examples of what the ProtoMechs should not be.
3 I would argue they make more sense for the Clans than vehicles do. Individual warriors, low resource cost, supporting roles, yet sufficiently mobile to keep up with 'Mechs without needing additional transport (unlike Battle Armor).
2 I suppose the ruleset could be adjusted to allow them to take roles of vehicles better at certain things.

Also they should be more available. As it is, by the Dark Age, only the Hell's Horses and Ravens use them, and neither is among the most played Clans. Kinda hard to play units that aren't available. Yes yes, "whatever works in your table" and "it is BT, salvage" always apply, but for anyone who likes sticking to canon closely, those aren't really options.
I play Wolves, Falcons and Nova Cats. Of these, basically only the Nova Cats use ProtoMechs, but only early on and with rather pitiful selection. Very disappointing.

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
« Reply #548 on: 30 August 2020, 20:39:34 »
1 Ew no. They'd end up just being turned into generic mechanical tank-like things, probably, like most of the Society ProtoMechs are. Improving current art an designs, that's OK, redesigning not. TROPrototypes art for the Procyon Quad, Minotaur P2 and Svartalfa is pretty good, animalistic and monstrous. The Hobgoblin, Sprite, Boggart and Satyr-XP are good examples of what the ProtoMechs should not be.
3 I would argue they make more sense for the Clans than vehicles do. Individual warriors, low resource cost, supporting roles, yet sufficiently mobile to keep up with 'Mechs without needing additional transport (unlike Battle Armor).
2 I suppose the ruleset could be adjusted to allow them to take roles of vehicles better at certain things.

Also they should be more available. As it is, by the Dark Age, only the Hell's Horses and Ravens use them, and neither is among the most played Clans. Kinda hard to play units that aren't available. Yes yes, "whatever works in your table" and "it is BT, salvage" always apply, but for anyone who likes sticking to canon closely, those aren't really options.
I play Wolves, Falcons and Nova Cats. Of these, basically only the Nova Cats use ProtoMechs, but only early on and with rather pitiful selection. Very disappointing.

They are "unavailable" because they didn't catch on with the players.
They didn't catch on with the players because the artwork style wasn't popular...because they don't have a niche or purpose in game...because the ruleset is a bit bland.

But CGL are a bit hemmed in here. For example, one of the issues is that BA and infantry are more effective than they should be. But that means you have BA that is better than many lightweight Protos. CGL are unlikely to address this issue by depowering BA so that removes a lot of the utility for lightweight Protos.

The art is subjective, but while distinctive, it never took off. Personally, I love the Minotaur and Roc and the Centaur and Satyr are OK but the rest are meh.

And so on. Overall, none of the issues...by themselves...are truly major. But it's when you put them together that you get players that are unexcited.

As it is....the IS Clans basically drop them by 3100, the Cats a lot earlier and they are fading from the Ravens and Horsemen. I can't think of any viable way to "save" them.

What you'd need is to depower infantry and BA to open up space and functionality for Protos. Not gonna happen.

New art? Might work...but probably not enough by itself.

New ProtoMech rules? The original ruleset apparently had them as a lot tougher but they were toned down in playtesting. Too tough however and they start crowding out Mechs the same way Protos are crowded out by BA.

A new gimmick? You have players who love Protos, but most players seem to find them unexciting and rather dull. Pedestrian. Generic. Workable but with a low cool factor. Would a gimmick of some sort give them a niche, give them that WoW factor?

How about ProtoLAMs? If the Ravens adapted LAM technology to Protos, would that work? Or ProtoQVs from the Horsemen? Something else?

HuronWarrior

• Sergeant
« Reply #549 on: 21 February 2021, 18:46:18 »
Did the Nova Cats in the Republic of the Sphere have separate khans from the Nova Cats in Irece Prefecture? Were the RotS Cats considered abjured by the other Cats?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #550 on: 21 February 2021, 20:23:18 »
Did the Nova Cats in the Republic of the Sphere have separate khans from the Nova Cats in Irece Prefecture? Were the RotS Cats considered abjured by the other Cats?
Clanners in the RotS were basically immigrants, no longer part of their original Clans. At least, that's as i've understood/recall things.

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #551 on: 21 February 2021, 21:15:04 »

They did not. They were led by a Galaxy Commander, and a Vision Master.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #552 on: 22 February 2021, 15:53:39 »
If there were any, their dead or on the run.   Say what you will about the visions of Kev Rosse , but he was right about finding save haven for his people.  Anyone in Republic would been squashed by the Combine.

Guardian11

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #553 on: 22 February 2021, 17:54:25 »
Or literally squashed by the Wolves as Paladin Tyrina Drummond was.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #554 on: 22 February 2021, 22:20:52 »

As said by others they were led by a Galaxy Commander who was also a Republic Senator while their enclaves are described as "Nova Cat" settlements

They were definitely separate but not Abjured I got the distinct impression that there was quite a bit of travel back and forth before the Dark Age
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #555 on: 23 February 2021, 03:25:35 »
If there were any, their dead or on the run.   Say what you will about the visions of Kev Rosse , but he was right about finding save haven for his people.  Anyone in Republic would been squashed by the Combine.

Not all Cats enclaves are located in the worlds occupied by Kurita. For example, one of the worlds departed to Davion had a planetary legate ( New Rhodes III )  with the bloodname Keating.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2021, 04:08:57 by Rncavenger »

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #556 on: 12 May 2021, 16:00:08 »

The good news for them is they'd have time to take in what happened in the Combine and to work to try and escape to the Clan Protectorate.

The Nova Cats as a whole were considered abjured by the clans. Didn't matter if they were in the Combine or the Republic.

Or literally squashed by the Wolves as Paladin Tyrina Drummond was.

too soon.  :'(
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #557 on: 11 July 2021, 13:31:24 »
Looking at the fluff for Dagda for reasons, I spotted something. The world would be utterly unlivable or barely habitable because its a Super Earth and has 2g of gravity.

Even with the futuristic construction materials, that's gonna be hellish, and Mechs would be useless because congrats your Dire Wolf now weights 200 tons and all its actuators just exploded.

I assume we can politely ignore this fluff and maybe make it slightly higher but not 2G?
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
« Reply #558 on: 02 April 2022, 21:08:23 »
Have we heard anything new on what's going on with the surviving Nova Cats and the Spirit Cats?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #559 on: 03 April 2022, 03:19:14 »
I suspect we'll see more of that with Empire Alone
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #560 on: 03 April 2022, 08:07:38 »
Looking at the fluff for Dagda for reasons, I spotted something. The world would be utterly unlivable or barely habitable because its a Super Earth and has 2g of gravity.

Even with the futuristic construction materials, that's gonna be hellish, and Mechs would be useless because congrats your Dire Wolf now weights 200 tons and all its actuators just exploded.

I assume we can politely ignore this fluff and maybe make it slightly higher but not 2G?

Yeah, I was reading recently that Barcella too was 1.5g, and thought, Nova Cats must be ripped if that's the case! So I suspect you are right, there's no way that Dagda can be 2g. Slightly more than 1g, maybe, but not 2g.
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #561 on: 03 April 2022, 08:10:59 »
Not all Cats enclaves are located in the worlds occupied by Kurita. For example, one of the worlds departed to Davion had a planetary legate ( New Rhodes III )  with the bloodname Keating.
I've been thinking about this recently while looking at some of the maps of the Deep Periphery (not Coreward towards Clan space, but Spinward out from the Combine). There are a large number of planets, even old Star League outposts out that way, and I've wondered if any of the Cats hid there?

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #562 on: 03 April 2022, 15:06:51 »
I've been thinking about this recently while looking at some of the maps of the Deep Periphery (not Coreward towards Clan space, but Spinward out from the Combine). There are a large number of planets, even old Star League outposts out that way, and I've wondered if any of the Cats hid there?

Just Wolverines out there, nothing to see, move along.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #563 on: 03 April 2022, 15:44:57 »
;D

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #564 on: 03 April 2022, 19:12:34 »
If they did they would be descendants not trueborn.
Remember, that most of their technology and other things were lost when the combined finally decided to pull war crimes on them.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #565 on: 03 April 2022, 21:24:43 »
If they did they would be descendants not trueborn.
Remember, that most of their technology and other things were lost when the combined finally decided to pull war crimes on them.
True, although, it wasn't until 2819 that the iron womb became dominant, and the Wolverines left in 2823, so the first trueborn would have only been 4 years old (maximum 7) at the time Clan Wolverine left Clanspace, and Wolverine wouldn't have really known about trueborn. I imagine that much of Wolverine technology, minus the ER PPC, would have been SLDF, or whatever they traded from other allied Clans (the Nova Cats - the only Clan to have defended them -  developed the ER Large Laser in '23, so maybe they also had ER LL?).

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #566 on: 03 April 2022, 22:27:26 »
That would suggested the desperate survivors would know exactly where the Wolverines last holdings were. We have not seen any sign of survivors smarty leaving the Inner Sphere, such as the Spirit Cats.

The Cats themselves are in the Clan Protectorate in Marik space.  Only think I'm unsure of if Clan Sea Fox helped them setup Iron Wombs for themselves.
I thought I read something like that somewhere, but refugees of Clan Nova Cat are part of the Protectorate.

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
« Reply #567 on: 04 April 2022, 02:03:44 »
Wrangler, I think they said when the Spirit Cats joined the Clan Protectorate in the Free Worlds League they sent a call out to any surviving Nova Cats that they were welcome to join up there.  I forget the source for that though....

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #568 on: 05 April 2022, 09:10:34 »
Wrangler, I think they said when the Spirit Cats joined the Clan Protectorate in the Free Worlds League they sent a call out to any surviving Nova Cats that they were welcome to join up there.  I forget the source for that though....

Pretty sure it was FM 3145, when referencing the creation of the 1st Nova Cat Provisionals.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Rncavenger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #569 on: 05 April 2022, 16:27:21 »

Era report 3145.

Register