Author Topic: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza  (Read 159589 times)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
Re: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza
« Reply #600 on: 16 August 2022, 08:40:01 »
Have you considered Cizins? Fast, speedy, and also fits in a light vehicle bay. It was developed during the 2nd war so it should just meet your cutoff.
Also, keep in mind that CNC of this era would also be using DC equipment, so that opens up the APC field a bit. I'd consider using the Maxim II if you can justify it. A pair of them can fit the entire complement of battle armor

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #601 on: 16 August 2022, 11:56:13 »
Shadow Cat
Arctic Cheetah
Huntsman
Avalanche (just after)
Wendigo probably too late

Of the above you could use one as a COs Mech

Have you considered Cizins? Fast, speedy, and also fits in a light vehicle bay. It was developed during the 2nd war so it should just meet your cutoff.
Also, keep in mind that CNC of this era would also be using DC equipment, so that opens up the APC field a bit. I'd consider using the Maxim II if you can justify it. A pair of them can fit the entire complement of battle armor

The Cizin is a great shout
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #602 on: 16 August 2022, 13:47:43 »
The Cizin i considered but decided it was too high-end unit for what i was thinking. Not to mention expensive in BV. I mean, nothing exactly advanced. Come to think of this, the Thunderbirds may be too good for this unit!

I was going purely by Nova Cat and IS Clan General lists for transports, though i suppose i could expand to DC options. Won't hurt  and plausible enough. As it is, i actually think the Nova Cat MUL list could use more stuff from the Draconis Combine.

I do however limit myself to units that have miniature available, there's not one for R10 ICV or Maxim II.
This is more of a in principle thing. I'm not hopeful IWM vehicle or BA miniature selection will get better anytime soon, however.
I actually have no intention of getting stuff for this anytime soon. I generally let projects sit for a while after initial plan, to see if i'm still interested in them later on. If i am, then i'll consider if and when i could get required minis.
(There's also currently some problems with some units i want being unavailable in Europe at all, not listed on store pages for reasons unknown. But i hope this will change.)

As for the suggested OmniMechs, the Arctic Cheetah is on "maybe" list, but i'm inclined to place it with my pure OmniMech unit as that has a slot open, really would like to toss the Grendel from it. The Huntsman i don't really like for no particular reason, and i already got the Shadow Cat in the OmniMech unit.
The Avalanche and Wendigo are Dark Age designs, and the Shadow Cat III is a Late Republic era unit, so none of them are options, unless i decide to make a Dark age era unit instead. Something i'm considering.
Various IICs, like the Jenner IIC, i'm waiting for the next KS adding them, and i have other plans for them already. Project Phoenix designs would be OK in principle, and something to consider.

Think i'll relax having just a pure Trinary, and attach 5x transports to the BA if i can't find bigger ones. 5 vehicles would be essentially a "half-Star", not really canon but i'm willing to bend things at times. This will give more freedom for the vehicle Star.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #603 on: 16 August 2022, 14:40:28 »
I have a better idea. I'll make a Spirit Cats Trinary of this. And then maybe another Nova Cat one that's more high tech.

Combination of industrials, IS and Clan Tech. 'Mechs and other units from RotS and Nova Cats, plus industrial MODs.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
« Reply #604 on: 22 August 2022, 20:54:16 »
Looking for some cannon help, if there is any. Trying to track down which Mechs some of the better known leaders of the Cats used. Does anyone know of where it's mentioned what mech(s) Star Colonel Kothinur Gritas piloted?
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #605 on: 23 August 2022, 08:52:41 »
I dont believe it was ever brought up. Mostly just a name in the index.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #606 on: 23 August 2022, 17:38:00 »
I dont believe it was ever brought up. Mostly just a name in the index.

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. I've slowly been trying to track down all of the named Nova Cats and what mechs they pilot for my own touman. Thanks though!

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #607 on: 05 September 2022, 10:05:03 »
So, the recent Land of Dreams has two very brief mentions of Khan Philip Drummond and the Nova Cats (yaaay!). In it, its mentioned that Khan Drummond pilots a Thug, which, given the Cats propensity for long range snipping probably makes sense.

While its not mentioned, would folk think its safe to assume its probably the THG-11Eb, with ER PPCs used by the SLDF Royal Brigades? Seems like a founding Khan would get the pick of their mechs, right?

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #608 on: 05 September 2022, 11:10:49 »
Possibly, if they had enough of Royal Thugs available. While the early Clans were equipped with best equipment available, that doesn't mean everyone got the best possible thing.

Operation Klondike rules note that Khans, saKhans and Star Colonels can make any number up to D class modifications to their 'Mechs, so it wouldn't be impossible that Drummond drives a non-Royal Thug but modified with some advanced tech.
Widowmaker Khan Cal Jorgensson's customized Highlander was based on the HGN-732 model rather than the Royal, at least in 2834. Likewise, Colleen Schmitt's Highlander was -732 based though extensively modified.

For what it is worth (not a lot), both Thugs are found in the HOK RATs, though you're more likely to land on the Royal Thug than standard one.

EDIT Given that Nova Cats appear to like ER lasers, i wouldn't be surprised if Drummond's Thug was equipped with ER larges. No comment on whether it makes sense.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2022, 11:14:55 by Empyrus »

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #609 on: 05 September 2022, 14:59:02 »
Possibly, if they had enough of Royal Thugs available. While the early Clans were equipped with best equipment available, that doesn't mean everyone got the best possible thing.

Operation Klondike rules note that Khans, saKhans and Star Colonels can make any number up to D class modifications to their 'Mechs, so it wouldn't be impossible that Drummond drives a non-Royal Thug but modified with some advanced tech.
Widowmaker Khan Cal Jorgensson's customized Highlander was based on the HGN-732 model rather than the Royal, at least in 2834. Likewise, Colleen Schmitt's Highlander was -732 based though extensively modified.

For what it is worth (not a lot), both Thugs are found in the HOK RATs, though you're more likely to land on the Royal Thug than standard one.

EDIT Given that Nova Cats appear to like ER lasers, i wouldn't be surprised if Drummond's Thug was equipped with ER larges. No comment on whether it makes sense.

Awesome, and I love it! I had forgotten to reference Klondike, but you're right. And I think it would make more sense for Drummond to have ER Large Lasers. I was worried at first because of the time period, but Sarna confirms that the Hegemony had ER LL in 2620, so weellllllll before the Exodus. Thanks!

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #610 on: 05 September 2022, 15:11:00 »
There are variety of weapons available for the Clans during Operation Klondike, going by dates.
All Star League equipment (including Snub-nose PPC)
Improved PPC, Improved LL, Improved LPL, Improved LRM, Improved SRM, Clan Prototype Streak 4/6, CP LB-X ACs, CP Ultras, CP ERML and ERSL.

Interstellar Operations Alternate Eras has the rules for these if someone wonders. HOK covers the Clan prototype weapons.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #611 on: 05 September 2022, 15:37:06 »
There are variety of weapons available for the Clans during Operation Klondike, going by dates.
All Star League equipment (including Snub-nose PPC)
Improved PPC, Improved LL, Improved LPL, Improved LRM, Improved SRM, Clan Prototype Streak 4/6, CP LB-X ACs, CP Ultras, CP ERML and ERSL.

Interstellar Operations Alternate Eras has the rules for these if someone wonders. HOK covers the Clan prototype weapons.

Thanks for bringing that up, and I think you have highlighted a discrepancy between HO:K and Alternate Eras. Page 156 of HOK says that only small and medium ER Laser prototypes were available, but not large. But the weird thing is that according to IO:Alternate Eras (pg 37) the prototypes for the small and medium were developed 2 years after Nova Cat had developed the prototype for the Large (in 2820, ostensibly under Drummond's direction).

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #612 on: 05 September 2022, 15:50:54 »

Thanks for bringing that up, and I think you have highlighted a discrepancy between HO:K and Alternate Eras. Page 156 of HOK says that only small and medium ER Laser prototypes were available, but not large. But the weird thing is that according to IO:Alternate Eras (pg 37) the prototypes for the small and medium were developed 2 years after Nova Cat had developed the prototype for the Large (in 2820, ostensibly under Drummond's direction).
Small and medium ER lasers should be Jade Falcon things i think? Improved Large Laser (not ER) is a Nova Cat thing per old IO tech table. I don't have the new version so i'm not sure about any changes between these editions.

EDIT Old IO gives follow dates:
RD, limited production, common dates respectively
Code: [Select]
Improved Large Laser Clan/E XDXX ~2812 (CNC) ~2815 (CNC) 2818
ER Large Laser [Clan] Clan/F XFDC ~2820 (CNC) 2825 (CNC) 2830

EDIT Operation Klondike data is old BTW, it implies Clan tech development took longer, and that there was a stage of their weapons when they were like IS versions fully (eg early Clan non-prototype UAC/20 has same stats as its 3060s IS equivalent), but this is dropped by IO.
« Last Edit: 05 September 2022, 15:54:11 by Empyrus »

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #613 on: 05 September 2022, 17:13:28 »
EDIT Operation Klondike data is old BTW, it implies Clan tech development took longer, and that there was a stage of their weapons when they were like IS versions fully (eg early Clan non-prototype UAC/20 has same stats as its 3060s IS equivalent), but this is dropped by IO.

Yeah, I think that's right, so it's probably safer to go with IO than HOK in terms of dates of development. In which case, as per your earlier suggestion, I think it would be safe to think that Drummond's Thug had a pair of prototype Clan ER large lasers in place of the standard PPCs by the time of Operation Klondike.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #614 on: 05 September 2022, 17:42:39 »
a pair of prototype Clan ER large lasers in place of the standard PPCs by the time of Operation Klondike.
Wait, do those actually have stats? 'Cause judging by Klondike and old IO, Clans made prototype ER Smalls and Mediums, used IS ERLLs, and then jumped to Clan Tech ERLL. Or does new IO add one?

Post-Klondike, Nova Cats refitting mechs with ERLLs makes sense though.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #615 on: 05 September 2022, 20:58:26 »
Wait, do those actually have stats? 'Cause judging by Klondike and old IO, Clans made prototype ER Smalls and Mediums, used IS ERLLs, and then jumped to Clan Tech ERLL. Or does new IO add one?

Post-Klondike, Nova Cats refitting mechs with ERLLs makes sense though.

So, new IO doesn't differentiate versus prototype and production, just date. But, yes, they have stats (as the Clan ER large laser).

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #616 on: 06 September 2022, 14:03:20 »
You know what?

IRL all Cats are temperamentally insane... First off, I love my cat. He's pet me or feed me, but don't do both. Rub him the wrong way and it's hiss and growl, keep it up and it clawin' time. But if you stroke him while he's in the hiss and growl mode, he purrs?!?

So I think that the NC are like that, temperamentally insane. Leave the alone and they'll leave you alone, feed them ( ToP ) and don't smother them afterwards and they'll be happy to jump into your lap ( scheme of things ).

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #617 on: 06 September 2022, 14:11:23 »
You know what?

IRL all Cats are temperamentally insane... First off, I love my cat. He's pet me or feed me, but don't do both. Rub him the wrong way and it's hiss and growl, keep it up and it clawin' time. But if you stroke him while he's in the hiss and growl mode, he purrs?!?

So I think that the NC are like that, temperamentally insane. Leave the alone and they'll leave you alone, feed them ( ToP ) and don't smother them afterwards and they'll be happy to jump into your lap ( scheme of things ).

TT

Accurate
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #618 on: 06 September 2022, 16:27:01 »
So as a Cat, would you consider yourself a mixed breed ( IS tech ) or purebred ( Clan tech )? And how would you defend your sanctuary? Give up space for a better defense ( claw swipe ) or full spazz out ( furball rage )? This is a general question for the thread...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #619 on: 06 September 2022, 16:35:40 »
I'd take whatever I could to defend my planets

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #620 on: 07 September 2022, 09:02:20 »
The actual Nova Cat looks like it's a big cat rather then anything like a domestic feline. The same behavioral rules need not apply. If the cats were going to act anything like their namesake species, I'd expect some form of defense oriented behavior, with a hefty degree of 'touch us and we WILL mess you up' levels of digging in.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #621 on: 07 September 2022, 13:23:00 »
That's a Smoke Jaguar safcon tactic...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #622 on: 07 September 2022, 14:24:57 »
The actual Nova Cat looks like it's a big cat rather then anything like a domestic feline. The same behavioral rules need not apply. If the cats were going to act anything like their namesake species, I'd expect some form of defense oriented behavior, with a hefty degree of 'touch us and we WILL mess you up' levels of digging in.

Link involves dead cats, but I need the humans for the size comparison.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2013/06/huge-feral-cats-wreaking-havoc-in-arnhem-land/

They still exhibit a lot of stereotypical lazy cat behaviours because conserving energy and staying under cover are good survival techniques. Shifting that bulk isn't easy. It pays to remember all felines are basically ambush hunters.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #623 on: 07 September 2022, 16:16:27 »
So as a Cat, would you consider yourself a mixed breed ( IS tech ) or purebred ( Clan tech )? And how would you defend your sanctuary? Give up space for a better defense ( claw swipe ) or full spazz out ( furball rage )? This is a general question for the thread...

TT

All cats - large and domestic - are ambush predators, whether laying in wait in grass or a tree, or in the case of my two murderbots, under the bed covers. Best Nova Cat example of this was Tukkayid when the Cats attacked out of Lake Losiije.

I've never thought about it, but I guess I tend to make my mechs like cats. Assaults or Heavies that strike hard, strike fast, hide and wait.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #624 on: 07 September 2022, 16:52:43 »
I've never thought about it, but I guess I tend to make my mechs like cats. Assaults or Heavies that strike hard, strike fast, hide and wait.

Me over here looking at my recent string of victories in a Summoner D...
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #625 on: 07 September 2022, 17:50:04 »
Me over here looking at my recent string of victories in a Summoner D...

Excellent! I feel like the Summoner C & D are perfect "Cat" omnis! I'm a big fan of the Gargoyle D for similar reasons, which is thankfully in the Cats touman. I've always wanted a Clan Nova Cat version of a Kodiak though. 😸
« Last Edit: 07 September 2022, 18:00:29 by cmerwin »

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #626 on: 07 September 2022, 18:01:03 »
Nothing wrong with that. The Kodiak is a fine, glorious machine that basically hits all the notes to be an Atlas IIC, and as a plus is ferocious as all hell. The only negative is the whole Ghost Bear thing, but I won't hold that against the Kodiak one bit.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #627 on: 07 September 2022, 18:21:06 »

The only negative is the whole Ghost Bear thing, but I won't hold that against the Kodiak one bit.

Seyla!

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #628 on: 07 September 2022, 20:53:56 »
Kingfisher B

I would happily use one, quiaff?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Istal_Devalis

• Major
« Reply #629 on: 08 September 2022, 09:50:06 »
That's a Smoke Jaguar safcon tactic...
Smoke Jaguars have tactics beyond 'Scream and Leap?'  8)

The Nova Cat is supposed to be a crafty hunter so...yeah, as mentioned. Lots of 'waiting for the perfect moment and then striking quickly'.  But the nova cat ALSO has a venomous defensive armament analogous to certain venomous fish so I'd expect a similar response...hold fast, look as threatening as possible, and if you go down get as much poison in them as possible so they're less of an issue for the next cat in the targeting reticule.

In practice, Cats seem to have gone for mobility, scouting, and long range accuracy.  I suppose you could point to the wide variety of light and medium mechs for the 'crafty and strike at the right moment' end, and the Nova Cat and Supernova on the 'defense posturing' end of things if you really wanted to push the comparison to their namesake.

Register