Author Topic: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza  (Read 159571 times)

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
  • Clan Nova Cat: True to General Kerensky's Vision!
Re: Clan Nova Cat - Zombie Catgirl Extravaganza
« Reply #630 on: 08 September 2022, 11:40:26 »
Kingfisher B

I would happily use one, quiaff?

TT
Aff!
"But the nova cat paced steadily on,
Undisturbed by the petty battles...
its heart and mind devoted to
The Ways of Seeing, devoted to a more perfect life.”
-- The Remembrance (Nova Cat), 50.5.26-32.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #631 on: 08 September 2022, 13:09:06 »
Also Khan Drummond piloted the Vision Quest (by minimum at least 2828 it’s introduction date) which did mount Clan ER Large Lasers but and Improved Gauss Rifle, by 2832 mounting a Clan Ultra AC/20.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #632 on: 08 September 2022, 14:10:49 »
And the V2 was a joint effort to make it all clantech... Shame only one in all this time.

They should have made more... Oh well...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #633 on: 08 September 2022, 17:19:32 »
And the V2 was a joint effort to make it all clantech... Shame only one in all this time.

They should have made more... Oh well...

TT

Agreed its a beauty of a Mech
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #634 on: 09 September 2022, 15:53:40 »
So while we're talking Mechs, can I ask y'all your opinions on the Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC? I'm trying to pad out a star and I'm torn which one of them to go with.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #635 on: 09 September 2022, 20:12:06 »
What era?

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #636 on: 09 September 2022, 21:12:28 »
What era?

TT

Pre-Invasion up to about 3065-ish.

Jean Cocteau

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #637 on: 10 September 2022, 02:36:38 »
So while we're talking Mechs, can I ask y'all your opinions on the Marauder IIC and Warhammer IIC? I'm trying to pad out a star and I'm torn which one of them to go with.

I think the Warhammer IIc is better. A little bit stronger armor (not a whole lot tho, half a ton), it’s variants are a little less samey, and there are more variants in your time frame.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #638 on: 10 September 2022, 09:14:32 »
Marauder IIC, cause one it's a MAD and two, it's better protected. Best use of it is a faster Awesome 8Q.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #639 on: 11 September 2022, 01:23:17 »
Ah man, the more I try and narrow it down, the more I spin my mental wheels. I am liking the look of the Marauder IIC 8 and the Warhammer IIC 2, to give some fire support capabilities.

Maybe I'll have to find an excuse to just use one of each of them. Nothing too horrible about two assaults in a heavy second line star, right?

Jean Cocteau

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #640 on: 11 September 2022, 11:23:47 »
Ah man, the more I try and narrow it down, the more I spin my mental wheels. I am liking the look of the Marauder IIC 8 and the Warhammer IIC 2, to give some fire support capabilities.

Maybe I'll have to find an excuse to just use one of each of them. Nothing too horrible about two assaults in a heavy second line star, right?

Agreed on the Marauder IIC, especially for Invasion era stuff. Although, I always go back and forth on those two mechs (and the Stone Rhino) because they are technically considered second line, but given their configurations, they are generally ideal for Nova Cat units.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #641 on: 11 September 2022, 11:45:17 »
Also Khan Drummond piloted the Vision Quest (by minimum at least 2828 it’s introduction date) which did mount Clan ER Large Lasers but and Improved Gauss Rifle, by 2832 mounting a Clan Ultra AC/20.
Right! I had completely forgot about that mech, the same one Khan Drummond defeated Jaguar saKhan Ismiril in. With 86 kph, an advanced gauss rifle, and 2 ER large lasers, it's a puuuuurfect Nova Cat machine. A shame the DCMS nuked it. Dezgra.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #642 on: 11 September 2022, 21:29:00 »
Clan Nova Cat Love

I was scrolling through the Clan Chatterweb today and decided, for whatever reason, to sort by views. Somewhat unsurprisingly, the usual suspects came up with high numbers of views, Jade Falcon, Ghost Bears, Wolf, Smoke Jaguars.

But then I mentally quick added up the numbers of views of the various Nova Cat fora and was a little surprised at how many total views we've had (the Snow Ravens, who I've always thought of as allies, probably take the lead).

I've always just assumed that we were a less interesting Clan to folk than the invading Clans. Sure, Nova Cats tend to be bonded and fiercely loyal, and other Clans tend to watch us to see what we do. But ultimately, we were Abjured and then Annihilated (which as an old Mechwarrior returning to my beloved Clan, was a big shock).

There are a lot of variables as to why the Nova Cat fora have had so many views. But part of me wonders, especially in light of the ilClan and Spirit Cats, and the current timeline. Why is there such love for the Nova Cats? What makes our Clan interesting or special? I'd love to hear the opinions of others, Cats or non-Cats, as to what makes the Nova Cats a Clan worth watching?

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #643 on: 11 September 2022, 22:44:04 »
Why is there such love for the Nova Cats?

Personally, I'm a glutton for punishment and an unyielding fan of underdogs and lost causes.  :D

But in all honesty, the Cats have a fascinating culture and history. They match(ed) the Diamond Sharks at being merchants, they match the Jade Falcons for tenacity, they match the Goliath Scorpions at marksmanship and visionary thinking. Plus, they punched the ComGuards harder than any other Clan at Tukayyid, victories and losses be damned. What's not to love?

Jean Cocteau

Agathos

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #644 on: 16 September 2022, 13:05:58 »
I fell in love when I read Invading Clans back in the day. Actually, I liked most of the writeups in that book. The Nova Cats, Diamond Sharks, and Ghost Bears all had good takes on "Clan, but different." (I never knew what to make of the Steel Vipers chapter, and considering later events I'm not sure the writers did, either.) It is a tragedy that the Ghost Bears played the role they did in dooming the Nova Cats.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #645 on: 17 September 2022, 00:36:46 »
I read the novel Path of Glory and that was enough for me I was a Nova Cat
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #646 on: 30 September 2022, 03:45:11 »
Why is there such love for the Nova Cats?

So, first time posting on this board, but I've been a fan of the Nova Cats since I got MW4 for Christmas as a teenager.  Been on and off in the fandom since then, mostly on now (seeing as I am posting in a Battletech forum), and my favorite mech from that game was the Nova Cat.  I got into reading about the Clans, saw that the Nova Cats defected from the Clans and joined the Second Star League, and from then on I was hooked.  Their love of ERLLs and extreme-range sniping also aligned with my general 'mech combat strategy.

But I think the reason I've stuck with them, painted multiple stars in their colors (though since they use camouflage, it's mostly just their insignia that defines them), plan on cosplaying as one (ceremonial uniform), and call them 'my Clan?'  I guess it's because they're one of the nicer Clans: they treat other castes well (comparatively), they only really had enemies in the Smoke Jaguars (and that one was all on the Chimney Kitties), and were willing to change when needed.  That latter part is a rare virtue in anyone, but in an organization of Maoist Bushido Mongols?  Unexpected to say the least.  Full support of the Invasion, then realization that they're the bad guys and that the invasion has helped galvanize a Second Star League?  They roll with it and join up.  They make principled decisions for iffy reasons, but end up on the right side of things.  They're a scrappy underdog without even trying: giant navy, amazing mech designs, weirdly prescient mysticism, but they keep getting hurt for doing what objectively seems like the right thing.

Also the Cameron Star version of their insignia is one of the simpler and more aesthetically pleasing Clan insignias out there, and their ceremonial uniform is basically "The Clans are basically all pansexual furries, at least we dress the part."
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #647 on: 30 September 2022, 18:16:19 »
But I think the reason I've stuck with them, painted multiple stars in their colors (though since they use camouflage, it's mostly just their insignia that defines them), plan on cosplaying as one (ceremonial uniform), and call them 'my Clan?'  I guess it's because they're one of the nicer Clans: they treat other castes well (comparatively), they only really had enemies in the Smoke Jaguars (and that one was all on the Chimney Kitties), and were willing to change when needed.  That latter part is a rare virtue in anyone, but in an organization of Maoist Bushido Mongols?  Unexpected to say the least.  Full support of the Invasion, then realization that they're the bad guys and that the invasion has helped galvanize a Second Star League?  They roll with it and join up.  They make principled decisions for iffy reasons, but end up on the right side of things.  They're a scrappy underdog without even trying: giant navy, amazing mech designs, weirdly prescient mysticism, but they keep getting hurt for doing what objectively seems like the right thing.

Also the Cameron Star version of their insignia is one of the simpler and more aesthetically pleasing Clan insignias out there, and their ceremonial uniform is basically "The Clans are basically all pansexual furries, at least we dress the part."

I love all of this!  :thumbsup:  Super glad that this is your first post to the forum, it's a good one! And welcome home to the Clan!

Like you, I believe that the Cats embody all that could be good in the Clans. Traditionalists who can - and are - a little maverick sometimes. But they value people and vision, over strict devotion to tradition. Khans Drummond and Leroux are prototypical Cats to me. Drummond fought for Amaris until he realized who his boss really was, then left his whole society to go work for the "good guy", not even knowing if General Kerensky would accept him, just because it was the right thing to do. The fact that Khan Rosse fought on behalf of the Wolverines has always made me proud.

Khan Leroux was a near washout goofball who had the skill, but didn't take things seriously. Then he grew up, and led the Cats to victory. There is no doubt in my mind that if the Cat's Maw hadn't been kamikazied, the Nova Cats would have taken both their objectives (even with ammo depletion).

I've never really thought of the Nova Cats as underdogs, although, I guess they are. They're just absolutely true to who they are and are willing to accept mistakes, learn, and continue on. So, I guess that kinda does make them the best kind of underdogs.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #648 on: 30 September 2022, 20:08:37 »
They also live up to the whole "Cats have nine lives" thjng - I honestly would laugh if one day one of the writers said yeah that was under the Nova Cats and Jaguars when we started - put them in situations that should kill them but don't

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #649 on: 01 October 2022, 13:50:15 »
They also live up to the whole "Cats have nine lives" thjng - I honestly would laugh if one day one of the writers said yeah that was under the Nova Cats and Jaguars when we started - put them in situations that should kill them but don't
I'm still hoping Kisho Nova Cat can pull off one of those 9-lives.  >:D

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #650 on: 01 October 2022, 14:43:09 »
I'm still hoping Kisho Nova Cat can pull off one of those 9-lives.  >:D

He's in Legends so unless it's a dropped plot line he'll appear at some point I'm guessing during the Combine book if anywhere

cmerwin

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #651 on: 01 October 2022, 17:52:28 »
He's in Legends so unless it's a dropped plot line he'll appear at some point I'm guessing during the Combine book if anywhere
Seems right, plus his entry in Legends is careful to point out that he took a full compliment of warriors, scientists, laborers, and the entire genetic legacy. So here's hoping!

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #652 on: 02 October 2022, 02:30:28 »
Seems right, plus his entry in Legends is careful to point out that he took a full compliment of warriors, scientists, laborers, and the entire genetic legacy. So here's hoping!

Recursive Clanners.  They f off to black space once again to come back when most needed...like Alexy and Nicky K did.  I mean, the Smoke Jaguars survived in some way, so I wish to hold out hope that the Nova Cats can resurrect themselves.
Kaldumeir Nova Cat, Abtakha Mechwarrior of Clan Nova Cat, late of the Draconis Combine.

JAMES_PRYDE

• Lieutenant
  • Stephanie & Jiyi Chistu "Restoring Honor to CJF !"
    • Clan Jade Falcon:  SWTOR
« Reply #653 on: 02 October 2022, 03:05:05 »
Recursive Clanners.  They f off to black space once again to come back when most needed...like Alexy and Nicky K did.  I mean, the Smoke Jaguars survived in some way, so I wish to hold out hope that the Nova Cats can resurrect themselves.

I thought they were still around in Dark Age and ilClan ? But I do admit I am a Green Bird, so I do not know much about the Cats. Last I looked there were Spirit Cats, and another faction ?

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #654 on: 02 October 2022, 03:34:24 »
I thought they were still around in Dark Age and ilClan ? But I do admit I am a Green Bird, so I do not know much about the Cats. Last I looked there were Spirit Cats, and another faction ?

You're right the Spirit Cats who are descendants of the Nova Cats are still around as are Kisho and his Nova Cat compatriots who are currently missing in action

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #655 on: 04 October 2022, 04:54:31 »
so, I know it's off current topic, but it's Nova Cat general so...

how do y'all see their ceremonial outfit?  Leather vest and shorts, the former with an explicitly studded collar...I'm thinking sleeveless biker jacket, similar motorcycle shorts, Greek-style sandals, and a masquerade-style mask with quills to represent the Nova Cats' totem animal.  The latter part is my main concern: they just describe it as an elaborate stylized Nova Cat headpiece, which could be anything from a cat-ear tiara to a snarling Nova Cat fascinator.

Remember, FM: Comstar has the CNC say that their ceremonial garb was considered extreme and weird by literally all the other clans, so...

Or, if you want to engage more technically: How is it that the Nova Cats have basically nothing but good 'Mech designs?

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #656 on: 04 October 2022, 07:04:11 »
I fell in love when I read Invading Clans back in the day. Actually, I liked most of the writeups in that book. The Nova Cats, Diamond Sharks, and Ghost Bears all had good takes on "Clan, but different." (I never knew what to make of the Steel Vipers chapter, and considering later events I'm not sure the writers did, either.) It is a tragedy that the Ghost Bears played the role they did in dooming the Nova Cats.

I really can't wait until that get's revisited, we both got done dirty by the dragon on those occasions
A member of Clan Ghost Bears Legal Team

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #657 on: 04 October 2022, 07:07:04 »
so, I know it's off current topic, but it's Nova Cat general so...

how do y'all see their ceremonial outfit?  Leather vest and shorts, the former with an explicitly studded collar...I'm thinking sleeveless biker jacket, similar motorcycle shorts, Greek-style sandals, and a masquerade-style mask with quills to represent the Nova Cats' totem animal.  The latter part is my main concern: they just describe it as an elaborate stylized Nova Cat headpiece, which could be anything from a cat-ear tiara to a snarling Nova Cat fascinator.

Remember, FM: Comstar has the CNC say that their ceremonial garb was considered extreme and weird by literally all the other clans, so...

Or, if you want to engage more technically: How is it that the Nova Cats have basically nothing but good 'Mech designs?

It's a pink and yellow polka dot mankini, with a dagger star cod piece, and a headband that says "Nova Catz rule" in an elaborately stylized font  :thumbsup:

parable

• Sergeant
« Reply #658 on: 04 October 2022, 07:13:47 »
It's a pink and yellow polka dot mankini, with a dagger star cod piece, and a headband that says "Nova Catz rule" in an elaborately stylized font  :thumbsup:

A bit more scandalous than I envisioned, but I'm game (bear in mind I'm lowkey taking notes for a cosplay).  "Not dezgra, is very nice!  Rasalhague my neighbor, he is pains in my ******!  ...loose like Ceres Arms Smasher cooling jacket." 

I should be ashamed.

edit:
All things aside, thematically I like the Ghost Bear-Nova Cat animosity.  It wouldn't really do to have 2 of the most bro-tier Clans be friends.  And it provides an interesting look into how Clan mindsets can be changed: Ghost Bears reconsolidate and specify where their ire is directed, whereas the Nova Cats kind of hoped their visions would deliver them, and they got their shit kicked in for it, multiple times.  The fact they could've been fast inter-clan friends is lost because both sides are too dogmatic.
« Last Edit: 04 October 2022, 07:46:49 by parable »

nova_dew

• Lieutenant
« Reply #659 on: 04 October 2022, 08:30:09 »
A bit more scandalous than I envisioned, but I'm game (bear in mind I'm lowkey taking notes for a cosplay).  "Not dezgra, is very nice!  Rasalhague my neighbor, he is pains in my ******!  ...loose like Ceres Arms Smasher cooling jacket." 

I should be ashamed.

edit:
All things aside, thematically I like the Ghost Bear-Nova Cat animosity.  It wouldn't really do to have 2 of the most bro-tier Clans be friends.  And it provides an interesting look into how Clan mindsets can be changed: Ghost Bears reconsolidate and specify where their ire is directed, whereas the Nova Cats kind of hoped their visions would deliver them, and they got their shit kicked in for it, multiple times.  The fact they could've been fast inter-clan friends is lost because both sides are too dogmatic.

I don't think the mindsets would have ever been compatible, Bears are all lets wait and see... oh dear the opportunity has gone, back to sleep, Cats are hey so i took this HUUUUGE hit of catnip last night and i had this idea... right... hear me out... lets change sides right now, they're got star league in their name, so there'll never be repercussions for this!  :P