Author Topic: Your GenCon Reports Here  (Read 54162 times)

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
Your GenCon Reports Here
« on: 14 August 2014, 11:23:04 »
Hi All,

If your at GenCon post here!

Wanted to put up a few pics for you from GenCon.  Will try to follow up with updates and stuff later.

New Kurita Lane pack.  I think I have some photos further on from the IWM booth.

Here they are:

I wasn't planning on buying the pins.  They weren't cheap.  An impulse buy but they look good.  I didn't see any dice.

New lance packs.  Gotta say, I just got the new Intro Box Set from Amazon the other day and the plastic minis look so good.  These look just as good.

My haul from IWM and packaging.

The Scapha tanks look great but they are kind of on the large side.  I generally don't mind the beefier mini for battletech but these have a large foot print.  A 40 tonner right?

Gotta run.  I apologize for the size of the pics.  Time is tight.  Mods, feel free to resize if you need to.

First day of the con is kind of crazy.  Have a Battletech event at 2 so can't stay on long.

The Catalyst booth was doing well.  Shadowrun Crossfire was selling like hotcakes.  I got in line early.  One of the first 50 I would say.  The line and booth was much improved from last year.  Open and allowed for better movement.  Staff was helpful.  IWM guys were great.  And man, the quality of the new minis, the entire IWM 3145 line just look amazing!  Keep up the good work.

More later as time allows.

Will try to make the What's up tomorrow.

Mike

« Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 17:37:53 by The Wayfarer »
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
Re: Your GenCon Reports Here
« Reply #1 on: 14 August 2014, 11:26:24 »
Thanks for the pics and the update

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #2 on: 14 August 2014, 11:47:56 »
Those pins look awesome!
(Too bad us non con-goers will never see them...)

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 14 August 2014, 11:52:04 »
Those pins look awesome!
(Too bad us non con-goers will never see them...)
Except on e-Pay for 2-3 times the actual retail
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2014, 12:02:25 »
Is that 3145 era report cover a mouse pad?

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2014, 12:03:00 »
Looks awesome! thanks for the update  :) the Mini quality really is pretty good. Hopefully next time i'm up in Portland theres some to buy  ;D
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2014, 12:10:16 »
All I have to say about all of this is
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2014, 12:17:20 »
I need a ninja...

Thanks for the update and pics
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2014, 13:19:03 »
Great Report!  O0
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2014, 13:45:41 »
So is the pattern for the fire lance the new wolfs dragoon Tarantulas color scheme?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #10 on: 14 August 2014, 13:47:08 »
As recently as Tuesday night, I was trying to find a last-minute co-pilot friend for a cannonball run out there from Md.

After seeing all this...that's it, I gotta go next year. I don't care if there are 50,000 people there or not.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2014, 13:48:59 »
So is the pattern for the fire lance the new wolfs dragoon Tarantulas color scheme?
No. It is the classic red/black scheme usually associated with the Dragoons. The Tarantulas have a different scheme.

EDIT: Just checked CSO and we have published the scheme so I can talk about it ...
The Tarantulas paint their machines jet black, adding rust-red, almost orange stripes around knee and elbow joints.
« Last Edit: 14 August 2014, 14:11:23 by GunjiNoKanrei »

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2014, 14:01:27 »
Any chance of a closeup shot on the Suna?

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2014, 14:31:42 »
No. It is the classic red/black scheme usually associated with the Dragoons. The Tarantulas have a different scheme.

EDIT: Just checked CSO and we have published the scheme so I can talk about it ...

So we should see some pictures of the scheme soon then? I could not find any in the wolf dragoon section

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #14 on: 14 August 2014, 15:48:46 »
So we should see some pictures of the scheme soon then? I could not find any in the wolf dragoon section
The description is in the dragoons section, but we don't have any painted examples up. There are also none in the immediate pipeline, but we will get to them ... eventually ;)

This was the inspiration for the scheme btw: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_redknee_tarantula

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #15 on: 14 August 2014, 16:36:56 »
Good stuff, I was there and feel like I missed some things.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #16 on: 14 August 2014, 17:22:41 »
More. Photos.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 14 August 2014, 17:27:04 »
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(  Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaautiful.

Stuff i can't have...*sigh*
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #18 on: 14 August 2014, 17:34:16 »
Oh Ghu that Guillotine and Flea, so adorable.
I want to adopt lances of them and conquer known star systems!
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #19 on: 14 August 2014, 17:39:26 »
By the time I'm done with those lance packs, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to field a batallion or two for each Great House just of plastics
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #20 on: 14 August 2014, 17:50:44 »
Oh Ghu that Guillotine and Flea, so adorable.
I want to adopt lances of them and conquer known star systems!

I find your idea strangely attractive, and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 14 August 2014, 20:09:08 »
I love the Stone's Lament painted Ares, that must be sight to be seen on the battlefield.  If Inner Sphere saw THAT coming, the mystery of who heck was behind them would be solved for sure.  ;D
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 15 August 2014, 06:14:12 »
Any chance of a closeup shot on the Suna?-Gunz

I'll try to get a close up of the painted minis at the IWM booth today.  This may help.

On the way out of the airport were greeted with this.  All around Indie you get the sense that gamers are appreciated.

Small part of the Catalyst booth:

Yes, they did have Battletech mouse pads.  I wanted one but resisted.

I played in two storyline events yesterday.  Here's a shot of the board:

Had a lot of fun.  It's been a while since I played Battletech on a hex board so I as a little rusty.  Been playing a lot of Alpha Strike at home.  Basically, Banson's VS Liao.  You scored points for getting uncrippled units into the opponents deployment zone.  Everybody around the table was great to play with.  The Catalyst staff did great and were on top of the rules.

Gonna try to make the What's up event this morning and will follow up later.  Its sold out so I'm not sure about my chances in getting in.  This event got posted so late I had already signed up for another event in the meantime and already had my tickets in hand when it went up.  I hope next year Catalyst get all the event up before event registration.

More later.

Mike
« Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 06:36:09 by The Wayfarer »
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

SpudBot

• Corporal
« Reply #23 on: 15 August 2014, 07:04:19 »
Inspiration for my stack of heroscape stuff (tho I wonder how they distinguished heavy from light woods?).

Those pins - neato keen.  Thanks for posting!

Chaos Cat

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
  • Nuts
« Reply #24 on: 15 August 2014, 08:42:19 »
Inspiration for my stack of heroscape stuff (tho I wonder how they distinguished heavy from light woods?).

Since that hero scape is what I usually play on these days I'll let you in on the secret of woods. There's a dark green hex near top left-middle. That's the heavy wood. Light green is light woods.

SpudBot

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: 15 August 2014, 08:58:00 »
Ah, thanks, would never have noticed that!  Painting some of my 'swamp' hexes dark green would work.  I did notice the 'cobblestone' hex tiles under the buildings to mark their footprint.

mechwarriorgarya

• Master Sergeant
  • Commanding man and machine since '94
« Reply #26 on: 15 August 2014, 09:21:16 »
Happy to see Heroscape continues to be used for other games!  ;D Its like the most wonderful game made for other games.  O0

For Heavy vs. light woods I have used two different types of trees to distinguish. Conifer trees for Heavy, deciduous trees for light.
One tree in the corner of the respective hex, works just fine, and looks nice too.

Hold them in place with poster putty, only issue is the putty is white, if I could fine green or brown putty it would be even better.
One Species, One Realm - translation: Live by The League or Die by The League
Between the fall of the ancient Star League and the rise of the heirs of Steiner Davion there was an age undreamed of...

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #27 on: 15 August 2014, 09:21:16 »
Since that hero scape is what I usually play on these days I'll let you in on the secret of woods. There's a dark green hex near top left-middle. That's the heavy wood. Light green is light woods.

My Heroscape woods secret....I use the flat swamp tiles and Heavy Woods has a tree on it...Light woods currently does not ;)

Soon it's be type of tree :D

But DAMN It looks good!
« Last Edit: 15 August 2014, 09:25:02 by NeonKnight »
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

mechwarriorgarya

• Master Sergeant
  • Commanding man and machine since '94
« Reply #28 on: 15 August 2014, 09:30:37 »
Here is a full shot of that board. I did a later board that probably had two or three times as many trees. All together I have probably spent four evenings just making trees. Basically I have a shoe box full of trees now to use for when I do this.

One Species, One Realm - translation: Live by The League or Die by The League
Between the fall of the ancient Star League and the rise of the heirs of Steiner Davion there was an age undreamed of...

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: 15 August 2014, 09:55:18 »
Another batch of mechs has been posted on Camospecs...this time it's the Republic Standing Guard painted by Mastergunz, who made the DA Firestarter look friggin AWESOME!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures