Author Topic: Your GenCon Reports Here  (Read 54125 times)

dwinter

• Sergeant
Re: Your GenCon Reports Here
« Reply #120 on: 16 August 2014, 08:29:53 »
The new lance packs look great; very interested in the Fire Lance to fill out my OPFOR Kurita forces.

Any ideas when these packs will be available across the pond in the UK?
Star Commander David Llywelyn, 9th Raven Striker Cluster "The Snow Hunters", 1st Nova, Alpha Galaxy

Lieutenant Robin Llywelyn, 2nd Mech Striker Company, 2nd Mech Regiment, 59th Jump Infantry Division, XXXVI Corp, Sixteenth Army

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #121 on: 16 August 2014, 08:50:49 »
Generally stuff CGL debuts at Gencon is on general release before the end of October, and Esvedium is very good about getting stuff to shops on or aound the street date.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #122 on: 16 August 2014, 09:02:36 »
Nice minis. I especially like the Atlas III crushing the Mad Cat
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #123 on: 16 August 2014, 10:30:47 »
The new lance packs look great; very interested in the Fire Lance to fill out my OPFOR Kurita forces.

Any ideas when these packs will be available across the pond in the UK?

Of the two distributors I will be ordering these from for my online store, one has no availability date, the other says November. Take it for what you will, but that is NO guarantee that they will be available then or earlier.
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #124 on: 16 August 2014, 10:38:05 »

Catalyst understands that some of us may be feeling our favorite properties are being pushed to the side.  It's kind of true but it is because the company is trying to expand their offerings like we've seen with the Valiant RPG and the new Vikings properties which Randall Bills and Loren Coleman were very excited about.  They're working with MGM and a lot of big companies which they think is only good exposure for Catalyst. 

I'm glad that CGL is trying to expand their portfolio but I'm sad that it is coming at the expense of their core games.  The core games should be the money makers.  They should be generating consistent revenue for the company.  If they are being put on the back burner, then they can't generate the money that is needed to expand into other games.  This also indicates to me that CGL doesn't really have the personnel in place to handle the additional workload of a successful game expansion.

And I wish that I could be positive about the Viking news but most of the games associated with TV/Movies end up being horrible or falling by the wayside.  While I have enough faith in CGL that they will produce a quality game, I suspect CGL will have to strike fast and hard in order to make money off of this venture.  Once the popularity of the show ends I would expect sales to plummet.

Anyone still playing the Ghostbuster's game, Indiana Jones, or Hercules & Zena?  How about the Red Dwarf game or Army of Darkness?

Sorry to be so negative.  All I can say is good luck to CGL and I hope it all works out.

Auren

• Lieutenant
  • Well.
« Reply #125 on: 16 August 2014, 10:44:37 »
But isn't HMP Already official? Also, was not aware that it was not updated to TW and TacOps. What's lacking?

It's great if you still play with BMRr. If not...  :(

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #126 on: 16 August 2014, 11:32:55 »
It's been pretty clear that CGL has been spending resources on Shadowrun and some of their new products, and that's maybe the smart thing to do. Gaming companies should be diverse to protect themselves from the inevitable end to any particular game's marketability.

I think there's still a place for Battletech and that it could be popular again. The success of X-Wing makes me think that Alpha Strike could be quite popular if given more marketing and preprinted high quality miniatures.

Above all, I just appreciate transparency from CGL. It helps maintain trust and interest.

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #127 on: 16 August 2014, 11:39:14 »
New beauties up on Camospecs!!! Just no Hi Res pics of the Diorama yet.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #128 on: 16 August 2014, 11:48:14 »
It's been pretty clear that CGL has been spending resources on Shadowrun and some of their new products, and that's maybe the smart thing to do. Gaming companies should be diverse to protect themselves from the inevitable end to any particular game's marketability.

I think there's still a place for Battletech and that it could be popular again. The success of X-Wing makes me think that Alpha Strike could be quite popular if given more marketing and preprinted high quality miniatures.

Above all, I just appreciate transparency from CGL. It helps maintain trust and interest.

The number of new plastic minis they've put into production this year proably cost more than the last couple of years worth of book production.  It's not that money isn't being spent on BT, it's just being spent differently.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #129 on: 16 August 2014, 11:49:08 »
I think there's still a place for Battletech and that it could be popular again.

If Catalyst didn't think so, I doubt they'd be investing in these plastic lance packs.  :) 

EDIT: Ninja'd by Lorcan Nagle

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #130 on: 16 August 2014, 12:14:00 »
I think som of this goes back to us being spoiled with lots of information on what's coming next.  That changed, it's been covers here so let's not rehash it.  All we saw was new product stopped, no new storyline at least.

Then lance packs... ok cool I can get some of the box set minis piecemeal with AS cards.  We were all, yeah that seems pretty cool but we alrea... what do you mean there's new plastics??  :o. Raven! Shogun! SHINY!!! MWAAHAHAHA!  :D

Now... some of us are like, whoops spoke too soon have faith in the CGL overlords sorry go about your business.

The product looks awesome.  Just in years past we would know it was coming and that it was to the scale of what we would see.  It's not CGL doing anything wrong just a bunch of needy fans who truly were spoiled in the past.

The lance packs look awesome.  My one question, do they all have quick star rules for Alpha Strike.  Can two dudes walk in a game store, but two packs and nothing else and throw down?

To the patient go the spoils

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #131 on: 16 August 2014, 12:41:24 »
Very nice!  Shogun isn't good choice though, I think they should got a non-super rare Mech in that group though.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Captain of C-21

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #132 on: 16 August 2014, 13:01:59 »
Snip

Is it just me or does that Blue, Yellow, and Red Atlas shout out "One-Eyed Jack Farrell!" to anyone else?  He is the Knight after all...

Proud Warrior of the Clan Protectorate.

Looking to play clix Mechwarrior in the Northeast Ohio area?  Come join our playing group!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #133 on: 16 August 2014, 13:20:49 »
Still waiting for someone to pick up on my little tribute Easter egg in the diorama.

CDT Special Agent #343

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #134 on: 16 August 2014, 13:29:59 »
Still waiting for someone to pick up on my little tribute Easter egg in the diorama.

I was wondering about the white and pink scheme...

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #135 on: 16 August 2014, 13:39:28 »
A nice, subtle tribute for James aka rpgsheets aka Amalor Myrnynx
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

stevothedivo

• Corporal
    • Books of War Publishing
« Reply #136 on: 16 August 2014, 13:40:00 »
I forthwith announce without any tenure of retention I despise EVERYONE who attended GenCon. Ever.
 ;D
Living in Australia, my jealousy is overcome only by my immeasurable admiration for the goods on sale and the experience it must be. Year on year I follow it closely on various forums and swear I'm going to start saving pennies BIG TIME and make it over soon - those pins, the tables, all the magnificent tables and participation games, the friendliness of the attendees, the video reports I've been oogling, this thread and many like I've seen on the intrawebs....those plastic lance packs.....
I simply MUST make it over if not next year (Europe's on the cards) then certainly I hope the year after.
Please keep up the updates, much as I may be seething with jealousy I'm a broke Uni student BUT - one day I will make my way over and piss off all the airport check-in chickies as I try and bring back the amazing bargains and new releases which clearly make conventions like this such a seminal foundation of our beloved hobby.

Can't wait for the new lance packs to be available downunder, great thread!
 O0

Dogs lick their balls because they can. Period.
Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #137 on: 16 August 2014, 14:13:32 »

Is there pink that I cannot see on the Rook...or am I completely missing the tribute?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #138 on: 16 August 2014, 14:17:28 »
Is there pink that I cannot see on the Rook...or am I completely missing the tribute?

I think I see a Rook in white with pink highlights.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
« Reply #139 on: 16 August 2014, 15:02:49 »
Very nice!  Shogun isn't good choice though, I think they should got a non-super rare Mech in that group though.
It's about to become less rare.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #140 on: 16 August 2014, 15:44:35 »
I think I see a Rook in white with pink highlights.
You do.  This was an in-progress pic of "Melody's Rooker".  It got cleaned up a bit more before shipping out for Indy.
It spoils the CSO-posting surprise a little, but I want James' other friends and fans to know we valued him and his contributions to the community.

CDT Special Agent #343

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #141 on: 16 August 2014, 16:00:50 »
You do.  This was an in-progress pic of "Melody's Rooker".  It got cleaned up a bit more before shipping out for Indy.
It spoils the CSO-posting surprise a little, but I want James' other friends and fans to know we valued him and his contributions to the community.

Dawg...thank you (and to anyone that supported this to be on CSO). James would be VERY proud!

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #142 on: 16 August 2014, 16:29:01 »

That is great. And if there aren't any other plans for that Rook, might I suggest a charity ebay auction for either his family or a cause in his name?

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #143 on: 16 August 2014, 16:52:01 »
Dawg...thank you (and to anyone that supported this to be on CSO). James would be VERY proud!

And that's why this http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,40221.0.html was answered the way it was... O0
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: 16 August 2014, 17:20:05 »
And that's why this http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,40221.0.html was answered the way it was... O0

Yeah, usually when there's an answer of "at this time" it turns out months later...something came of it!

Can't wait to see them up on Camospecs!

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #145 on: 16 August 2014, 17:50:13 »
It's about to become less rare.

It's  my (insert whatever you want to keep here) and you can't have it so I put my Shogun C on it.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #146 on: 16 August 2014, 17:56:53 »
That is great. And if there aren't any other plans for that Rook, might I suggest a charity ebay auction for either his family or a cause in his name?

Please announce it here if this happens.  I'll bid!

I didn't think about it until Dawg said something... it hit me right away, there's a white and pink mech!

CSO y'all deserve a serious pat on the back! O0

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #147 on: 16 August 2014, 22:31:43 »
Can anyone get a close up of Stone's Atlas? It looks like a completely custom job.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #148 on: 16 August 2014, 22:41:30 »
Can anyone get a close up of Stone's Atlas? It looks like a completely custom job.

It's a crazy bash of Atlas'... check out CSO tomorrow for more detailed shots!  >:D

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #149 on: 16 August 2014, 22:48:09 »
And because Wolf Lancer 4 posted another photo or two on his Facebook, I figured I'd post up my contribution to this years Wolves:

Tundra Wolf 2, Timber Wolf Prime "01," and a Lobo 2

Register