Author Topic: Your GenCon Reports Here  (Read 54096 times)

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Your GenCon Reports Here
« Reply #150 on: 16 August 2014, 22:55:23 »
This may sound strange, but..is there no book product released for Gencon?

I know there's the minis which are nice (though I have to question a Shogun for Kurita), but isn't there usually a large book release to advance the plot?

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #151 on: 16 August 2014, 23:42:31 »
Please announce it here if this happens.  I'll bid!

I didn't think about it until Dawg said something... it hit me right away, there's a white and pink mech!

CSO y'all deserve a serious pat on the back! O0

Yes please if you do opt to auction it off I will be in the bidding!!!

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #152 on: 17 August 2014, 00:01:52 »
I didn't understand that getting plastic minis takes more financial resources than novels/sourcebooks etc.  Makes more sense now as to why we didn't get many BT products over the last year.  Thanks!

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #153 on: 17 August 2014, 01:08:17 »
Can anyone get a close up of Stone's Atlas? It looks like a completely custom job.
As Savage Coyote said, it will be in the next CSO update later today. I will post some additional pictures in the mini forum once the update is live.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #154 on: 17 August 2014, 02:40:09 »

I know there's the minis which are nice (though I have to question a Shogun for Kurita), but isn't there usually a large book release to advance the plot?
Alpha Strike companion was released at the con. It's a major book release—but no, every GenCon does not see a major current-storyline-plot-advancing book release.
The Shogun is in a Wolf's Dragoons themed pack.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #155 on: 17 August 2014, 03:03:35 »
Ah, sorry, though tit was the Kurita pack. Should've checked.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #156 on: 17 August 2014, 03:37:23 »
I didn't understand that getting plastic minis takes more financial resources than novels/sourcebooks etc.  Makes more sense now as to why we didn't get many BT products over the last year.  Thanks!

Oh yes, plastic minis have a low per-unit production costs, but the molds are insanely expensive.  On the right side, the molds don't need to be replaced as often,  so CGL should be able to keep the boxes in print.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

stevothedivo

• Corporal
    • Books of War Publishing
« Reply #157 on: 17 August 2014, 04:27:46 »
From Australia - please take my money Catalyst!
Usually purchase through Joe Dodgy or Alpha Strike in WA, can't wait for these packs to be available to the general public worldwide.
So much 'Mech goodness, a pleasure to paint up - and much as I'm loving my small lances of IWM metal figures the price per unit of plastics means Alpha Strike is so much more accessible to a beginner player like myself.
On a side note as I posted in my collection thread on Facebook, accidentally placed the minis in front of the heater for a game that evening and the quality plastic used in the casting became malleable. I moved the poses, making each of the intro set minis truly unique, then ran under cold water and they maintained their newfound poses.
I hope the same plastic is used with the new sets as that'll mean even more unique 'Mechs, no doubles - what started out as an accident can and will, with a little forethought, hopefully produce a whole host of unique figures and poses for my Eurekan Merc faction.
Very much looking forward to these being available downunder.
Regards
 :)

Dogs lick their balls because they can. Period.
Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #158 on: 17 August 2014, 08:30:37 »
The plastic models look great, I'm sure with a good paint job, you couldn't tell the difference.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Dragon41673

• Captain
    • Aries Games & Miniatures
« Reply #159 on: 17 August 2014, 10:11:13 »
Looks like pics are going up finally of the Diorama...only 3 there now, but probably more coming later today. The main one I'd say is the Atlas bash for Devlin Stone. Awesome work on that Gunji!!!
Owner - Aries Games & Miniatures

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #160 on: 17 August 2014, 10:59:08 »
And because Wolf Lancer 4 posted another photo or two on his Facebook, I figured I'd post up my contribution to this years Wolves:

Tundra Wolf 2, Timber Wolf Prime "01," and a Lobo 2

Savage...they look great! I really like them, but which Wolves are they?

Klat

• Captain
  • ここにキティキティ
« Reply #161 on: 17 August 2014, 11:21:15 »
Looks like pics are going up finally of the Diorama...only 3 there now, but probably more coming later today. The main one I'd say is the Atlas bash for Devlin Stone. Awesome work on that Gunji!!!

Every Atlas should be that menacing. I can't imagine painting those bones, the skill level of CSO artists never ceases to amaze me.
Light Assault Group - An Orwellian appelation applied by the Draconis Combine to troops haphazardly equipped with whatever expendable equipment was lying around the maintenance yard, for the purpose of throwing their lives away for the greater glory of the Dragon, see also Human Bombs.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #162 on: 17 August 2014, 12:02:24 »
Savage...they look great! I really like them, but which Wolves are they?

All three are members of the Golden Keshik though the Timber Wolf is a homage to an older character :)

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #163 on: 17 August 2014, 12:18:32 »
All three are members of the Golden Keshik though the Timber Wolf is a homage to an older character :)

Interesting...Vlad maybe?

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 17 August 2014, 13:59:00 »
In every Gencon diorama, the CSO artists will include a killed mini of the same model of mech.  It's a type of "Where's Waldo?". Now, go find it.

phlop

• CamoSpecs
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #165 on: 17 August 2014, 14:06:42 »

I picked up Wars of the Republic Era and FM 3145. Wasn't sure if they had been released yet, but they were there and that is what I bought. They did Inner Sphere pins. The lance packs did seem to be moving quite well. I was able to look at the quality of the mins as Wackrabbit paint a box in Davion Guards scheme while we were answering questions about the diorama. Thanks to all that stopped by and it was an enjoyable time. We were kept quite busy and when not we all were painting some minis.
I would especially like to pat Dave Fanjoy on the back as 3 lads that play MWO online asked if they went over and bought some minis would someone give them guidance on assembly and painting. They spent all day assembling and painting the minis. They seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.
Met God and Davion and he too painted a mini while there. It was almost a paint along with CSO. A wonderful person and a pleasure to meet. Also, met others that frequent this and other forums and now can put a face to a forum name.

This being my first Gencon and I hope it isn't my last. Now on to next years diorama planning.  O0
“Everyone is useful,No one is necessary.’’ Paul Brown

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #166 on: 17 August 2014, 15:48:31 »
Interesting...Vlad maybe?

Bingo!  A couple years ago I told Wolf Lancer 4 I'd paint up a Timber Wolf as Vlad for him.  While doing the diorama real life got in the way of the star I was supposed to do and with time running out, I didn't have time to assemble three of the star (well, and I was missing arms for two of them.)  I did have Vlad's TWolf running around assembled, primed, and base coated so it was quick turn around to get a third Golden Keshik miniature on the board :)

Dragon41673

• Captain
« Reply #167 on: 17 August 2014, 16:53:07 »
Cool...hopefully we will get to see the rest of the diorama soon

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #168 on: 17 August 2014, 17:48:57 »
I was tasked with making the Firestarter shine given the minis poor reputation and I am glad to see you all seem to be enjoying it.

-Gunz

Sir, you succeeded beyond anyone's wildest imagination. That is an excellent piece of work. Does GenCon have a "best mini" contest - if so, you should submit that.

I've always liked the semi-utilitarian walking industrial war machine look of BattleTech, and you captured that and added hot napalm sauce.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #169 on: 17 August 2014, 18:33:01 »
Hi All,

I just got back home to Florida this afternoon.  I've been going through my pics and will post a few more here.  Again, cell phone quality and I'm having a funky relationship with Photobucket so excuse any twisted photos.

First up, one of the future lance packs that I didn't get in my first post.

Another shot from the diorama.

A comparison of the new Ad Hoc Alpha Strike Cards box and the old.

And a shot of the new cards.  They are double sided and seem to be made of a thicker paper without the rounded corners.  I like them as they seem more durable than the last set.  Plus the new point values and the crit chart makes things so much better.

Then a few of the pins participants received for playing in Battletech events.  Very cool and a nice, unexpected bonus. 

A close up of two of the new plastics.

A look at some of the new IWM releases at the IWM booth.

And what the Storyline board looked like on Saturday night.  A king of the hill fight.

More than a few of the Battletech tables had these huge printed maps.  Most of them were for the Grinders.  I've seen them on the boards before.  Can someone point me in the direction of who produces them?  Generally, I like them for their size but I think they are a little too busy with terrain.

A quick and terrible shot of the Catalyst booth.

A shot of the IWM booth in all its Battletech glory.

The new Battletech models from that "other" company that ran a Kickstarter that raised an ungodly amount of money to produce crap.  Why they didn't go the traditional mini route with the budget they had....we'll never know.  Yes.  Although these are the finished models and look pretty good, the picture is deceiving.  These are not miniatures but tiny plastic models akin to model cars and planes.  The arms, legs, guns are all split in half on sprues.  They will be a pain to assemble and despite how hard you try, you are going to see seams.  They don't show in the picture.  But trust me...they're there.  I saw them.  Funny story here, I watched Palladium demo the game twice to passerbys in their booth.  The opening question from staff:  "Are you familiar with Robotech?"  Twice I heard a reply from the con-goer that went something like this, "Well I've seen the cartoon and played Battletech before."  Made me smile.  These actually will scale well with Battletech figs.  The Marauder fig will be a little tall but I think you can adjust the stance to make it less so.

Next my roundup.

Mike
« Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 18:40:24 by The Wayfarer »
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #170 on: 17 August 2014, 18:44:27 »
The huge printed maps you saw are from MapMaster. He's on these forums under the same name. He also has a facebook account and a website where he sells these maps. He has several different ones in 2 different sizes. They look awesome and I'm thinking about getting one.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #171 on: 17 August 2014, 19:16:25 »
So jealous I don't have the time or money to go, but thanks for the info and pictures.  O0
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Spaceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
« Reply #172 on: 17 August 2014, 20:55:14 »

Then a few of the pins participants received for playing in Battletech events.  Very cool and a nice, unexpected bonus. 

I want that Republic pin!
Demo Agent #567 Binghamton, NY (Southern Tier)
FLGS: Jupiter Games - Johnson City, NY

Southern Tier BattleTech Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/STierBattleTech/

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #173 on: 17 August 2014, 21:19:20 »
Hey,

Well I just wanted to post a few more thoughts about my 2014 GenCon experience to kind of summarize some of the pics and my time there.  I've been to GenCon twice before, once in 2011 and again in 2013.  I'm planning on making one more trip next year, hopefully with my son.

Battletech events have occupied most of my gaming slots on all three trips.  This year I played in three Storyline events.  Always, the volunteer staff running these games have been polite, kind and willing to coach and guide players.  They also have a phenomenal grasp of the rules.  I've marveled at one volunteer (I didn't catch his name) for the past few years who's always at the Storyline events.  He has the Mech Hit Location Table and Cluster Hits Table memorized.  It's amazing.  He told me he was a mathematician and it shows.  It just makes things go so much faster for guys like me who have to look at the table on every roll.  The Storyline events were great and a lot of fun.  And as some of you have commented, the board was pretty cool as were all of the players crowded around the table.  Great bunch of guys and gals to spend the hours with.  I've been playing Alpha Strike pretty exclusively since it released but playing in these storyline events reminds me how great regular Battletech is on hex maps.

I also played in an Alpha Strike intro event both staff members stated they were new to Alpha Strike and just learning the rules themselves.  It kind of showed.  There was some confusion on the jump modifier for the attacker and target and what happened when units were in base to base contact.  Further, my table was using a homemade Alpha Strike unit cards.  I'm not sure why they just didn't use the actual MUL cards to promote that resource.  Despite this, the game was fun and played quick just like it should.  And to be fair to the agents running the event, Alpha Strike has seen a lot of revision especially when it comes to the TMM.  The table rules tried to incorporate some of these changes and I think this was a mistake.  What the player ends up hearing is, "Well in the old rules its this way, but we do it this way now."  I realize there are changes to the core Alpha Strike rules but when your teaching new players, those original rules work just fine.  Alpha Strike needs a revised/updated rulebook to reflect the new point values and changes to the TMM.  I hope one is in the works.  Further, I hope we see more than intro level events for Alpha Strike at Gencon 2015.

The other tables running grinders and Solaris matches stayed packed throughout the con.  It was good to see.

Further, like last year, at the last event on Saturday night, Catalyst splurged on a load of pizzas for all the players at the events running there.  The pins for participating in events was also a nice and unexpected touch.  Thanks!

The Catalyst booth was much improved over last year.  It was more spacious and the traffic flow through it better also.  I think they may have had more registers running compared to last year too.  Then again, Shadowrun 5 wasn't releasing either.  The Shadowrun Crossfire deck building game sold fast.  Honestly, the Shadowrun RPG lineup is pretty impressive to put it bluntly.  I've tried playing it a few times and just find it very rules heavy....yes, worse than Battletech which is easier to scale to your level of desired complexity.  The new plastic Battletech lance packs seemed to be doing very well too.  I picked up one of each myself.  The new Alpha Strike Cards are also a great improvement over the last batch.  I think they are still a little too dark but the quality is much improved.  I wanted to buy two packs but worry that there still might be changes to the cards in the future.  Again, the staff in the booth was great.  Very polite and eager to please.

Despite this, I find the Ironwind Metals Booth to be the shrine of Battletech at GenCon.  It's hard for me to walk into this booth and not salivate. For the past two years I've blown 75% of my spending budget here.  But then, I'm a minis fan.  I think the con exclusives were very cool this year.  I'm hoping next years con specials are a little cheaper, however.  Overall, I'm so pleased with the direction Battletech minis are going.  The detail on the new sculpts is amazing and I'm liking the beefier mini to boot.  Again, staff here were very helpful in searching the huge inventory.  One thing to improve on, is the Piranha decals that are sold here.  There are typically two boxes jammed full of them.  It would be great if they could be organized by houses or something.  I always pick up a few but usually wind up frustrated leafing through the hundreds of packets in the jammed confines of the booth.

A side story on Piranha Graphics.  Friday, while I was admiring the diorama I was introduced to Brian who owns Piranha Graphics.  (I may be getting some of the details wrong here so excuse me.)  He was sitting by the diorama and I mentioned my dilemma with the decals at the IWM booth.  I told him I would contact him after the con to place an order because I couldn't find any Sorenson's Sabers decals in the boxes.  He said, "No problem.  I'll print them up and bring them to the con tomorrow."  He said he lived nearby and would be able to get them here.  I thanked him but wasn't sure what to expect.  Sure enough, the next day waiting at the IWM booth were two sheets of Sorenson's Sabers sheets.  The kindness and service was overwhelming!  Thanks again! 

The diorama was incredible.  As I stated earlier I got a chance to talk to phlop (aka Phil).  What a great guy.  Very easy to talk to and you could tell he was passionate about the game and painting.  So much has already been said about it in this thread I can't say much more.  I was glad to see it return.  I really missed it last year and its such a great draw for people passing by in the hall.         

Thanks to all that stopped by and it was an enjoyable time. We were kept quite busy and when not we all were painting some minis.
I would especially like to pat Dave Fanjoy on the back as 3 lads that play MWO online asked if they went over and bought some minis would someone give them guidance on assembly and painting. They spent all day assembling and painting the minis. They seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.
Met God and Davion and he too painted a mini while there. It was almost a paint along with CSO.

This is a great idea for CamoSpecs!  First, if I would have known that the CamoSpecs staff would be sitting by the diorama, painting and helping people paint.....I would have brought stuff to the con to paint!  To be able to sit next to them and get painting tips?!  What a great idea!  There was so much painting going on by the diorama I actually sat around and watched for a little while.  Could it be an event.....sure.  But what a great way to spend some time.  Second, I'm gonna bring something to paint next year in the hope the same happens.

The What's Up With Catalyst was good but could have been better.  Catalyst thought they had two hours when they only had one.  Further, this event got posted so late it wasn't even in the con print catalog and I already had other event tickets in the mail by the time it popped up in the event database.  So I had to return an event ticket in the hopes of attending.  Otherwise it was informative and I walked away from it feeling like Battletech is where it belongs.  Like many here I don't know Randall Bills or Loran Coleman but I definitely got the "good/smart people" sense from the hour spent with them.  You can tell they love the game.  Due to the brevity of the seminar both Bills and Coleman offered to answer questions in the Catalyst booth afterward.  Over the course of the remaining hours I caught up with both of them.  I spoke to Bills about how much I was enjoying Alpha Strike and he clarified some of the "timeline" issues I wrote about in earlier posts.  Talking about Alpha Strike he said that it really is kind of an experiment on getting new players into the game.  We have the regular Battletech ruleset and then Alpha Strike which is similar to many other mini games that utilize stat cards.  Later I caught up with Coleman who confirmed that the House Kurita book SHOULD be going to the printer in September.  I also asked him if they planned on getting a Battletech Line Developer again and he gave an emphatic, "Yes."  He said Bills has a lot on his plate and they are still looking for someone to fill the position.

Other notes.  Fantasy Flight and Piazo booths were always busy.  I didn't even bother to try as there was always a line.  I did get a chance to try 5th edition D&D and really like it!  It is so much less codified than 3.0, 3.5, 3.74 and 4.0. and puts control back in the DM's hands rather than the players.  Indie is a great city.  Its clean and the weather is great.  This year it seemed like their was a huge increase in the amount of homeless sitting on street corners begging for change and that was a little disturbing.  Businesses appreciate GenCon and the people it attracts and that is a welcoming feeling.  The city is small enough that you don't get lost and big enough that you feel like your some place...different.  I worry that GenCon is outgrowing it though.  Finding housing downtown is becoming increasingly difficult and for people traveling by air, that is a problem and a huge expense.  I paid almost $1000 dollars for four nights.  It hurts.

Well, this ended up being longer than expected.  Just my thoughts and a few things I heard.  I hope to hear from others who went also.

I'm gonna try to go back to lurking now.

Mike

« Last Edit: 17 August 2014, 21:32:16 by The Wayfarer »
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Sereglach

• Warrant Officer
  • If it's salvagable, take it; if not, scorch it.
« Reply #174 on: 17 August 2014, 21:59:49 »
Sir, you succeeded beyond anyone's wildest imagination. That is an excellent piece of work. Does GenCon have a "best mini" contest - if so, you should submit that.

I've always liked the semi-utilitarian walking industrial war machine look of BattleTech, and you captured that and added hot napalm sauce.

W.
+1
-------------------------------

Thank you, Wayfarer, for all of the information that you were able to dig up and share with all of us here who didn't have the privilege/luxury of going to GenCon.  It's great to hear all of the new information regarding Battletech and CGL's future.  Thank you, again.
Mercenary Pyromaniac and Scorched Earth Specialist

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #175 on: 17 August 2014, 22:02:41 »
Thanks for all the reports Mike. They were much appreciated by us poor, non-GenCon attending souls

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #176 on: 17 August 2014, 22:25:40 »
The Jade Hawk is one of mine. It's a custom knights scheme. I based it off of the Donegal Guards blue/grey and added crimson trim. The Green/Tan/Gold is indeed a wolf galaxy; I did the Vulture Mk IV in that scheme.

-Gunz

That Black Knight was sexy also!
Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Black Omega

• Sergeant
« Reply #177 on: 17 August 2014, 22:31:30 »
Hi all,
I had a great time this year at Gencon.  On Thursday, I ran 2 events: "King of the Hill: The Lonely Mountain" and "The Battle of Five Armies."  KotH:TLM used TW rules with a couple of TO & Tac Hdbk additions.  Bo5A used Alpha Strike rules and fielded 70 mechs, 3 LAMs and 3 VTOLs in a 4 hour slugfest for 10 players.  I have posted the after action report for the "KotH: TLM" here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,41189.0.html.  I will post the other when I get it written up.  I was shocked when both events sold out the first day of pre-reg and I hoped that all the work all summer had paid off.

On Friday, I played in the Bloodright tourney, losing in the second round to the eventual champion.

On Saturday morning I attended the 30th anniversary of the "Killer Breakfast" hosted by famed Dragon Lance author, Tracy Hickman.  The opening was memorable as Gencon event coordinator, Derek Guder , publically proposed to his girl friend, who accepted.  And there was much rejoicing.

On Saturday night, I was seated across the table from Randall Bills and Brent Evans.  My teammates 3 Sphinx's and my own Stormcrow B found out just how tough it is to take down a Great Turtle and won a narrow decision.  One turn saw the Turtle take 213 points of damage that did not phase it.

Special thanks to Andrew Krull who worked the Virtual World mech pods and played in the "Bo5A."  His knowledge of the Alpha Strike rules helped me tremendously in teaching the rules to new players.
"Old age and treachery will beat youth and beauty every time."

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #178 on: 17 August 2014, 22:47:16 »
I love the orion...I don't love the goofy pose its always in  #P . The raven looks awesome! Glad everyone had fun at Gencon, hope all those that helped run it had more kicks than stress  :)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #179 on: 17 August 2014, 23:00:19 »
I've learned to embrace the Orion's "come at me bro" pose now.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Register