Author Topic: Your GenCon Reports Here  (Read 54140 times)

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
Re: Your GenCon Reports Here
« Reply #180 on: 17 August 2014, 23:00:29 »
That Black Knight was sexy also!

Thanks Craig! I was honestly surprised I didn't see any comments regarding the scheme it was in. I thought the homage would have been picked up on by most battletech fans.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

God and Davion

• Excelencia Steiner
  • Administrator
  • Major
  • This place for rent
« Reply #181 on: 17 August 2014, 23:03:05 »
I picked up Wars of the Republic Era and FM 3145. Wasn't sure if they had been released yet, but they were there and that is what I bought. They did Inner Sphere pins. The lance packs did seem to be moving quite well. I was able to look at the quality of the mins as Wackrabbit paint a box in Davion Guards scheme while we were answering questions about the diorama. Thanks to all that stopped by and it was an enjoyable time. We were kept quite busy and when not we all were painting some minis.
I would especially like to pat Dave Fanjoy on the back as 3 lads that play MWO online asked if they went over and bought some minis would someone give them guidance on assembly and painting. They spent all day assembling and painting the minis. They seemed to be enjoying themselves immensely.
Met God and Davion and he too painted a mini while there. It was almost a paint along with CSO. A wonderful person and a pleasure to meet. Also, met others that frequent this and other forums and now can put a face to a forum name.

This being my first Gencon and I hope it isn't my last. Now on to next years diorama planning.  O0

Many thanks sir! It was a pleasure to be with you and to paint with you was a fullfiled dream O0 O0
We are back again... but we never forget Albatross

Peter Smith

• LBI Shareholder
  • Captain
« Reply #182 on: 17 August 2014, 23:26:35 »
Two things, both related to the city:

Its clean and the weather is great.

The weather this year was an aberration. Usually it's about fifteen to twenty degrees warmer.

I worry that GenCon is outgrowing it though.  Finding housing downtown is becoming increasingly difficult and for people traveling by air, that is a problem and a huge expense.  I paid almost $1000 dollars for four nights.  It hurts.

The Super Bowl a few years back meant that a few more hotels were needed in the area, so available housing is higher the last few years over the early years of the show. If there is a need for it, there will be more hotels in the area.
Power corrupts. Absolute power is kinda neat.

"Now I've got the image of a Haywire pod that's broadcasting "stop hitting yourself" over and over." MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

Siberian-troll

• Captain
« Reply #183 on: 18 August 2014, 02:06:07 »
Thanks Craig! I was honestly surprised I didn't see any comments regarding the scheme it was in. I thought the homage would have been picked up on by most battletech fans.

-Gunz

Can we see pics of it, then?   :)

GunjiNoKanrei

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • tired ... very tired ...
    • darklined.com
« Reply #184 on: 18 August 2014, 03:30:41 »
Does GenCon have a "best mini" contest - if so, you should submit that.
GenCon does have a big painting competition (where CSO painted Mechs have done well in the past). Unfortunately you have to be there in person to participate. I checked this prior to the con ;)

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #185 on: 18 August 2014, 03:56:49 »
It means planning for this diorama started two years ago, and the shift of IlClan made everything suck balls with regards to timing. Oh well; at least the spoiler damage is minimal.  >:D

So just a fanboi's wet dream then ...

Ilcan book is written but has no release date.

6 weeks!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #186 on: 18 August 2014, 05:26:42 »
So just a fanboi's wet dream then ...

6 weeks!

It's comming but other things got in the way.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #187 on: 18 August 2014, 05:58:55 »

-Gunz

I'll be honest. I don't recall seeing a Black Knight in the diorama. Do you have any closeups of it?

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #188 on: 18 August 2014, 06:07:15 »
Its Monday morning!

Hope all you Gen Con attendees survived! ;)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Morpheus1975

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #189 on: 18 August 2014, 07:23:20 »
Hi All,

I just got back home to Florida this afternoon.  I've been going through my pics and will post a few more here.  Again, cell phone quality and I'm having a funky relationship with Photobucket so excuse any twisted photos.

First up, one of the future lance packs that I didn't get in my first post.

Another shot from the diorama.

A comparison of the new Ad Hoc Alpha Strike Cards box and the old.

And a shot of the new cards.  They are double sided and seem to be made of a thicker paper without the rounded corners.  I like them as they seem more durable than the last set.  Plus the new point values and the crit chart makes things so much better.

Then a few of the pins participants received for playing in Battletech events.  Very cool and a nice, unexpected bonus. 

A close up of two of the new plastics.

A look at some of the new IWM releases at the IWM booth.

And what the Storyline board looked like on Saturday night.  A king of the hill fight.

More than a few of the Battletech tables had these huge printed maps.  Most of them were for the Grinders.  I've seen them on the boards before.  Can someone point me in the direction of who produces them?  Generally, I like them for their size but I think they are a little too busy with terrain.

A quick and terrible shot of the Catalyst booth.

A shot of the IWM booth in all its Battletech glory.

The new Battletech models from that "other" company that ran a Kickstarter that raised an ungodly amount of money to produce crap.  Why they didn't go the traditional mini route with the budget they had....we'll never know.  Yes.  Although these are the finished models and look pretty good, the picture is deceiving.  These are not miniatures but tiny plastic models akin to model cars and planes.  The arms, legs, guns are all split in half on sprues.  They will be a pain to assemble and despite how hard you try, you are going to see seams.  They don't show in the picture.  But trust me...they're there.  I saw them.  Funny story here, I watched Palladium demo the game twice to passerbys in their booth.  The opening question from staff:  "Are you familiar with Robotech?"  Twice I heard a reply from the con-goer that went something like this, "Well I've seen the cartoon and played Battletech before."  Made me smile.  These actually will scale well with Battletech figs.  The Marauder fig will be a little tall but I think you can adjust the stance to make it less so.

Next my roundup.

Mike

Hey Wayfarer,

I'm a long time Battletech and Robotech fan.  If not for the unseen I may not have picked up my first copy back in the early 1980's.  I have been a playtester for Robotech and I have played many a game.  I hope to get some Alpha strike games under my belt soon too.  I have both the Alpha Strike PDF and the Companion book.  I also bought into the Mekton Kickstarter a while back and downloaded the Heavy Gear rules.  I figure I'll play and compare all 4 rules sets and see what I like the most.  The Robotech one is basically a faster playing Alpha Strike, you lose some of the detail, but in the exchange I played out a 13 vs 29 figure battle in just about an hour.  I hope Alpha Strike can get close, from what I know that battle would take and extra 30 minutes to an hour but is also has more detail having infantry and conventional vehicles to play with. 

The minis are pretty, Unseen(RDF) pretty much in scale with Battletech.  I've used BT minis as stand-ins.  I think they tried for too much detail on too small a mini but they do look good.  I hope to test out my first Alpha Strike game using unseen units with stats converted over so that they are similar to how they would function in the cartoon but useable in Alpha Strike, plus I want to test the new LAM rules out. 

Lore

• Captain
  • The ONE and ONLY Doom.
« Reply #190 on: 18 August 2014, 09:03:15 »
I've learned to embrace the Orion's "come at me bro" pose now.

I'm starting to see it that way, myself. O0
Wielder of the Dao of Sarnese Fiat. Member of the Capellan Holy Trinity. Holder of the 10 celestial point record in the "Little Black Book of Cappiedom." This community's ONLY truly devout Kali Liao-fan.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #191 on: 18 August 2014, 09:58:44 »
So where was the CSO display!?   I walked through both the catalyst booth and their area in the minis hall every day and never saw it.  :(
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Chaos Cat

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
  • Nuts
« Reply #192 on: 18 August 2014, 10:03:39 »
I saw it at the minis hall near the Catalyst minis HQ. I assume it stayed there.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #193 on: 18 August 2014, 10:05:11 »
When were you there? The diorama was delayed.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #194 on: 18 August 2014, 10:12:53 »
Further, my table was using a homemade Alpha Strike unit cards.  I'm not sure why they just didn't use the actual MUL cards to promote that resource.

Those cards were printed out using the Alpha Strike files for Army Builder. 

What the player ends up hearing is, "Well in the old rules its this way, but we do it this way now."  I realize there are changes to the core Alpha Strike rules but when your teaching new players, those original rules work just fine.

I made that call. I chose not to teach rules that were no longer in effect, and just cause them further confusion down the road. The rules changes made in the companion were of the type that improved play.  In hindsight, I wish I had prepared a standardized explanation that would then be delivered by all running the event to players explaining that some of the core rules from the Alpha Strike rulebook had been replaced in the newly released companion to create a better game, and the new correct rules were being used in the event.  Those rule excerpts were provided in a Alpha Strike Companion excerpt handout, but a better description of the how and why may have been helpful. 

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #195 on: 18 August 2014, 10:22:34 »
By the way, congrats to Ion Raptor for his prizewinning Battletech costume! [rockon]
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #196 on: 18 August 2014, 11:03:57 »
By the way, congrats to Ion Raptor for his prizewinning Battletech costume! [rockon]

:o    [AAAH]    :o

O0    [applause]    [cheers]    [notworthy]    {>{>    [rockon]
I have spoken.

Mastergunz

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • BBBBBBRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTTT
« Reply #197 on: 18 August 2014, 11:35:22 »
I'll be honest. I don't recall seeing a Black Knight in the diorama. Do you have any closeups of it?

It was there, I spotted it in one of the overhead shots that Roy took. I have it on my home computer. I'll check and see what its position for update posting on CSO is. If it's far off then I will post a pic.

-Gunz
" also, didn't you know mechs are able to run their massive energy weapons and all only because of their super secret fusion engine designs? the fusion engines actually turn rage and tears generated on the internet, wirelessly into usable power for the machines." -steelblueskies

"I find that alcohol bestows a variety of tactical options."

"Hotwire your imagination into your sense of self-preservation, and see what percolates." -Weirdo

Follow along with my miniature exploits on my Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/MastergunzPaintWorx

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #198 on: 18 August 2014, 11:50:21 »
Was there a sit down with Catalyst Game Labs? Did they say / announce anything that happening or what coming down the road?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #199 on: 18 August 2014, 11:52:52 »
Was there a sit down with Catalyst Game Labs? Did they say / announce anything that happening or what coming down the road?

There was. The Wayfarer put something up here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,41127.msg950337.html#msg950337

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #200 on: 18 August 2014, 12:04:45 »
There was. The Wayfarer put something up here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,41127.msg950337.html#msg950337

Ugh. I missed that, it got too buried for me to find at first.  Thank You.

Randal and Loren lost the fight for mini-Time jumps?  I wonder what their going to do, year-by-year?  That's going be painful.  Like paint drying on the side of a house, in rain storm.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Decoy

• Captain
« Reply #201 on: 18 August 2014, 12:06:46 »
No no. They lost the fight against the 3067-3132 jump. NOw, they're kind of the people who make that decision ><
"I invented (the drink) PPCs in a time before the internet showed me the depth of human stupidity."-Michael Stackpole.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #202 on: 18 August 2014, 12:17:13 »
Well crap, no that's not what they said, that was in the '3250' discussion. I guess noone got a recording? JPArbiter maybe?
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #203 on: 18 August 2014, 12:19:22 »
Well crap, no that's not what they said, that was in the '3250' discussion. I guess noone got a recording? JPArbiter maybe?

Ah Recording would be nice. Would love to hear (or even see?) the panel. :)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #204 on: 18 August 2014, 12:22:56 »
When were you there? The diorama was delayed.

I was there each day, but I couldn't say what time since lack of good sleep put me in a fog most of the weekend.  I know on sunday I wasn't there until after 1pm.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

stevothedivo

• Corporal
    • Books of War Publishing
« Reply #205 on: 18 August 2014, 12:25:09 »
I usually never quote posts....but that's an insane collection in one store!
Why can't we have one here in Australia, dagnabbit - take my money, Catalyst/IWM!

Dogs lick their balls because they can. Period.
Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #206 on: 18 August 2014, 12:29:24 »

If he did, I haven't seen it yet.
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan

gooseman

• CDT Miniatures XO
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #207 on: 18 August 2014, 12:35:56 »
It was there, I spotted it in one of the overhead shots that Roy took. I have it on my home computer. I'll check and see what its position for update posting on CSO is. If it's far off then I will post a pic.

-Gunz

You mean this guy? ;)

Daoshen Liao: Wrong! Xavier! What is best in life?
Xavier McCarron: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #208 on: 18 August 2014, 12:40:16 »
....nice. 8)
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Knightmare

• BattleTech Developer
  • System Admin
  • Warrant Officer
  • Wrench'in it
    • BattleTech.com
« Reply #209 on: 18 August 2014, 12:47:47 »
That 'Knight is sexy.  [drool]
BeemerCon Summarized. Knightmare, end of turn: "How come none of my weapons fired?"
Look, dude, when you are a real mechwarrior you don't need to get all dressed up in cooling suits and cool helmets to work on your mech. You just strip down to your 1980s panties and crop top vest and start wrenchin' it.
Yen Lo Wang = David Lo Pan