Author Topic: Talk to Me about: Regimental Deployments/Movement  (Read 1801 times)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
Talk to Me about: Regimental Deployments/Movement
« on: 06 October 2014, 14:17:37 »
I've been puzzling since i was reading through both FM:3085 and FM:3145. 

I was wondering how Regimental formations are able to deploy on "Patrols".  I've not really been able find what their exactly doing or how their doing it.   Their on their JumpShip, do they go to the nearest planet (week away from the JumpShip), land on habitat planet use their DropShip's to hop around the planet? 

Do they Jump to the various JumpPoint's to see if there anything happening?   

I can't even fathom how Light and  Regimental Combat Teams are deployed like this.   I can see Battalions doing this, but larger formation seems to be big mass of metal and soldiers and logistics lug around to look for baddies.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

sillybrit

• Major
Re: Talk to Me about: Regimental Deployments/Movement
« Reply #1 on: 06 October 2014, 16:26:57 »
When regiments/LCTs/RCTs patrol, they typically do so along a length of border rather than one specific planet. Generally a component of the unit will remain on the nominal garrison world, while other task forces will head out to patrol or to garrison other nearby worlds, with the latter especially common with LCTs/RCTs. The patrolling will not only occur in the inhabited systems, but also the numerous unpopulated worlds that don't appear on the maps.

When patrolling inhabited systems, it's probably more a matter of showing the flag and resupply, as they will often be able to check in with then local planetary garrison and ask for a situation report. There may still be some need to do actual checks rather than just rely upon the word of the garrison, such as if the garrison only covers one continent on a world and lacks enough transport to be able to regularly check other garrisons.

With uninhabited systems, or those where the planetary garrison requires assistance, then the first step probably to just sweep the standard jump points, then go into orbit of any major worlds, especially those that could support life. Orbital surveys will probably be the main method of checking for signs of intruders, with follow ups by atmospheric flights and/or actual landings by a scout force, with the main force ready to drop if needed.

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #2 on: 06 October 2014, 17:39:39 »
Would they also take the opportunity to exercise with local garrisons or have live fire runs in uninhabited systems?

I'd always assumed it was either to check on/repopulate caches or to just show the flag
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #3 on: 07 October 2014, 18:10:08 »
Thank u for responding to my questions guys. 

So only components of a regimental force would be conducting a patrol? If they are scooting through typically uninhabited systems, that would I guess that the unit needs to have a modest size Aerospace component attached to it.  In some way I would think naval units would be doing more patrols than army / ground units would be doing these missions.

I wonder if there will be generic rules for outposts that may exist in interstellar nations.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Register