Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 201824 times)

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #360 on: 28 March 2015, 23:35:10 »
Come on. Lay off the Cats.

Personally I would have done things differently. The Cats come out of this too much as victims with no influence over their fate. That serves neither the Bears, Cats, DC, or Black Dragons well.

Personally I like to think none of the sides in this conflict knew what the rules were. The Cats had been relying on the fear of a general war giving their raiding a degree of impunity.  The image of a child poking a bear through a cage is to obvious to not use. The Bears got their chance to remove a long term annoyance and they took it. A modified undeclared Trial of Annihilation perhaps? I am not sure you can do a ToA in the Inner Sphere for purely practical reasons. See the loss of control from there.

You can get a nice grey multi faceted story from that with innocents caught up on both sides. Unfortunately the Historical didn't really explore that.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #361 on: 29 March 2015, 00:48:57 »
I personally like the nova cats. But i love to hate hell horses  ;)
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #362 on: 29 March 2015, 01:06:36 »
The Cats seemed to suffer from being the writers whipping boys and I felt deeply sorry for them with what happened.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #363 on: 29 March 2015, 01:47:54 »
I blame the fact that the bears were "white hats" and we needed to be shown that we can play in the mud with the rest of the spheroids
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #364 on: 29 March 2015, 10:52:12 »
The ghost Bears are the kind of clan that when they feel slighted, they find out what you were afraid of as a child then choose a camo that resembles a clown or mime. Operation Sparkles the frown clown!

Posts like this make me wish this forum had some sort of 'like' or upvote functionality.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #365 on: 30 March 2015, 12:31:47 »
The ghost Bears are the kind of clan that when they feel slighted, they find out what you were afraid of as a child then choose a camo that resembles a clown or mime. Operation Sparkles the frown clown!
I've always described this Clan with the following neighbor analogy:
"Some neighbors might resent you when you steal their morning paper.
Some might steal yours to retaliate.
Bears burn down your rose garden and think it is a fair exchange."
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #366 on: 30 March 2015, 18:07:34 »
Yet always seem to end up stuck on the burning  thorns and unsure what to do.

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #367 on: 30 March 2015, 18:40:58 »
I've always described this Clan with the following neighbor analogy:
"Some neighbors might resent you when you steal their morning paper.
Some might steal yours to retaliate.
Bears burn down your rose garden and think it is a fair exchange."

A rose garden is too small, I think that they'd actually try to burn your tool shed or garage down :).
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #368 on: 30 March 2015, 19:41:24 »
A rose garden is too small
Well we are trying to shed that evil "Me Clan warg" stereotype after all.  ;)
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #369 on: 30 March 2015, 20:24:20 »
Well we are trying to shed that evil "Me Clan warg" stereotype after all.  ;)

*looks like hes caught with his hand in honey jar* So...does that mean i shouldn't go as captain Black BEARd for halloween?

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #370 on: 31 March 2015, 11:09:11 »
If you have a beard the shape of a bear, you can dress however you want.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #371 on: 03 April 2015, 09:40:19 »
If you have a beard the shape of a bear, you can dress however you want.

Again, we need a "like" button.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #372 on: 10 April 2015, 10:38:50 »
Arg, I use the Karhu G now to the point someone actually thought i liked heavy lasers  :o ...I need a new go to heavy mech  ;) But its such a great mech!! Speed! Jump jets! Enough Streaks to ruin you for weeks! Thanks to magscan i don't even need active probe in double blind games. Seriously i love the G since it came out, get behind someone and just rock them, if the streaks don't fire then you end up pretty heat neutral  >:D if the streaks do hit  >:D >:D >:D

When i use the Karhu G i have a hard time not going "Gigidy" "Gigidy" "GOO!!!"

An ideal star for me is at least one Karhu (G..uess the G right? ^^) one of every type of mad dog and a executioner (F..but not for Foxx  ;) ) I actually had a pretty good time the other day rocking a Karhu,Executioner,Mad Dog MK4 and a Dasher2 variant 2. the Dasher was mainly to throw the person off since they never knew when it would show up behind them..Restless even taught me a nasty trick that should be illegal in most Country's. Tone down the lasers so they basically become ER small lasers and suddenly you can fire all of them while running around in mach 2 with your hair on fire.

So my fellow ghostbears, or just closet ghost bear fans, What should be my new "go to" mech since I don't wanna gain a rep for Heavy Lasers. Someone once accused me of being an AC20 nut (hilarious since i honestly don't take them that much) but really I'm more of a "Pack missiles on it and let us fight in the shade" kinda guy.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #373 on: 10 April 2015, 17:31:02 »
I have been waiting about a year for that review. NTNU is full of hidden gems.

I don't normally reveal my designs but I hit a real theme with the Karhu G and Executioner I. 10 hex movement then slice and spray. The only reason the Firemoth G didn't look more like a Firemoth Prime was I couldn't carry enough weapons to slice AND spray effectively. So I recommend running it with a missile Firemoth.

Actually the whole concept is really interesting. You can see the Firemoth Prime and Executioner attempting it but 3050 tech doesn't quite work. Heck it is the rough idea of the Thug (without the speed to get behind people). 3090 tech gives you the speed and low weight weapons to pull it off.

You can thank Jymset for the Executioner F.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #374 on: 10 April 2015, 18:07:00 »
seems like I hardly see Foxx taking any other config of the Karhu lately. It's getting to the point where the Karhu G is to him, what the Timber Wolf A is to me.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #375 on: 10 April 2015, 18:53:43 »
Don't have the skills to do a good Karhu G write up, but i can share with my fellow ghostbears how I use it to good success!

"Hey diddle diddle, straight up the middle!" The Karhu G can run 10 hexs straight, that's AWESOME,Why? Well i typically play on maps that are 45x45 at the smallest usually. This means i can get it into position early on, got a timberwolf? big whoop wanna fight? because the Karhu is gonna get there faster,Can't run over that hill? JUMP OVER IT THEN! this beast can not only run rings around someone for that extra sneaky backshot, it can for the most part jump where ever it wants. The Arcas in your star will drool and drink its milk in hope of some day doing what the Karhu G can do.

I haven't even gotten to the weapons! 1 improved Heavy large laser,3 ER Medium pulse lasers and Four count em FOUR Streak SRM 4's. Now your thinking "meh i would rather have 6s" Trust me they more than awesome when your behind an opponent...did i mention you get can behind people easily?
 You can Alpha strike (i know who would wanna do that?) and as long as your Streaks don't fire your not gaining any heat, so alpha on!! However I suggest unless your getting one of those tasty back shots,stick to just the heavy laser and the mediums, with a couple Streaks just in case. You might end up running up some heat, but your jumpjets or supercharger can pretty much get you out of any jam.

Add to that? i know what more could it have!! Its got a light tag!, now your probably thinking "pfft" but if you have one of these near some hueys? You can see why the Wolfs decided they needed new borders as a wolf player has said to me after facing this mech.

Now its downsides. Its not a very long range mech, so your going to have to use your mobility to dictate the range of the battle and know when the gettings good. The Heavy laser does some tasty damage, but its a heat hog and has a to hit penalty which can tempt you not to wanna play with it.  Against anything with reflect armor your going to be at a disadvantage..until you can use your streaks and kick the surly surat in the leg for double damage.

Over all i really love this mech as you can see, its not the best but it can wreck a lot of the rest.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #376 on: 10 April 2015, 18:59:56 »
The Karhu is definitely my favorite bear heavy. As someone who finds himself fighting against them more often than fighting in them, they definitely have my respect.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

WarGod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #377 on: 10 April 2015, 21:04:06 »
I have done bad bad things with the executioner F
A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested
You're falling through the air in a Grenadier. Style went out the window long before you did.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #378 on: 11 April 2015, 19:48:50 »
Improved Heavy and 3 ER Mediums  :-X

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #379 on: 11 April 2015, 20:45:31 »
*laughs* Sorry about that, wrote that in 10 minutes and when i checked it it was for spelling errors  #P but yes 3 ER medium lasers. Most of the time your gonna find yourself outranged but its got the mobility to cut the range rather quickly.

GBscientist

• Warrant Officer
  • It could always be worse.
« Reply #380 on: 14 April 2015, 10:35:43 »
Nice write-up, Foxx.  I can't really recommend a new 'mech to you, since my preferred design style trends more towards ZombieMech and less towards your favoured run-and-backstab playstyle.
"Peace through superior firepower."- Arsenal of Freedom, ST:TNG

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #381 on: 14 April 2015, 11:41:56 »
Its not so much i favor the run and backstab playbook, its just i noticed some of our battlemechs almost seem to lend themselves to it. I actually love me some day of the ZombieMech and as long as someone recommends something that isn't the Bear Cub  ;) I'm willing to try it out.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #382 on: 15 April 2015, 17:02:30 »
Well you could try both Ursus flavours. The original is a zombie and the II is a run and gun back stabber.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #383 on: 19 April 2015, 12:02:06 »
You know how folks say that the Bears are for the most part quite happy until poked and then *MASSIVE OVER REACTION!*

This gif I think embodies that moment when the person doing the poking realises "I've gone dun goofed..."

http://imgur.com/gallery/Y1Eb25x
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #384 on: 19 April 2015, 13:27:42 »
i think when they play Nekrogoblikon-Bears over the com instead of giving you a batchal, you can expect a massive over reaction  ;D

Listening to you as you say your prayers -
Evil bears with deadly stares.
Ripping you apart to protect what's theirs -
There is no escape from the furious bears!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
I'v been having fun with the Ursus, i forgot how much of a zombie that mech was, with a zombies speed  ;)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Now Foxx, there is nothing wrong with liking heavy lasers!

<this message sponsored by Clan Star Adder and distributed with license by Clan Shark Fox>

Seriously, I've always been a fan of mechs that tote a couple of ERPPC's and streak 6's.  Perfect weapon combo on a cavalry heavy, bracket wonderful.  But with heavy lasers and superchargers you can start doing some terrible things.  The Karhu G and the new Executioners are wonderfully evil monsters that I am all about.  It's enough to make be very pro-Bear

To the patient go the spoils

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
You know you wanna switch your Blue's Cold ;D  Go from cold blooded to cold environment! You should try the Arcas 3 sometime, its rather tasty as well with its Jumps and HLL.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
I'm working on a non-canon unit based on former Ghost Bear warriors who took the family concept to the extreme, and had one.  The 5 members of the star are based on me, the Mrs, our 2 boys, and our dog  ;D
Basing it in the 3140's so I can play with new toys

I have always liked the Bears despite bailing on the clans.  If there is any IS state in the current time frame I'd not root against its the Viking Bear thingy.  Too many cool toys, the coolest mascott, and a world view I can relate to, we're nice and friendly just don't mess with us cuz we'll rip your face off.

The comment earlier about he neighbor and the news paper was perfect.

I struggle to like any IS based faction purely because I feel obligated to be a pillar of homeworld clan fandom in the community.  This is a rather silly principle but I seem to be settled on it.

To the patient go the spoils

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
We bailed on the crazy IlKhan who was a bit too much like Amaris for my tastes. Personally I don't much mind that we are not in the Homeworlds. The ultimate objective was a return to the Inner Sphere, eventually Terra. Here we are living a not so bad life with only a handful of cultural problems and living the decent life: while the Falcons go homicidal, the Wolves do some drastic flanking, the Horses prepare for mass desertions or a war with their once close ally, the Sharks continue to profit and remain mysterious, and the Ravens doing their thing with the AFFS and DCMS.

Now on the other hand: never was a fan of Heavy Lasers: BUT the supercharger combo  with Streaks and ER PPCs is and always will be god especially with Clan tech. ATM's would almost be better Cept for that darn heat curve and mass that goes with them.

On a completely different topic: I'm also working on a unit of former Bears and Horse bondsmen: need a snappy unit name based around the idea of the Knights Errant type units : a mobile force to troubleshoot around the galaxy. Current forces looking at a mixed binary Nova to a mixed full Supernova Trinary. Also need a Dropship: a Modified Outpost would work (with fluff of course) but short of the standard modified Overlord is their anything we have that would work better?

Ideas comments questions insults always appreciated and helpful

Register