Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 201383 times)

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #180 on: 18 January 2015, 07:58:31 »
A thought, we all know that the Bear's tend to prefer large (or fast, or preferably both) machines.  With the introduction of the Tomahawk II as THE Clan 100 tonne assault mech (assuming that Dire Wolves can't be built any more or are built in limited numbers) Do folks think that the Bear's would build their own counter to this new large front line Omni as I'm going to guess that the Wolf Empire is going to do EVERYTHING it can to keep the Tommy II exclusive to their Clan.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #181 on: 18 January 2015, 17:32:38 »
Well, the Bears are still building Kodiaks, and there were those rather fetching NTNU Executioners.  IMO Those suit them a lot better than the tommy does, though I doubt they'd totally spurn one if they took it isorla, it IS still a Clan Omnimech.

If I were to build a bear star incorporating a Tomahawk II, it'd probably be accompanied by Deimoses and Viking IIc's. Not that the Viking IIc is terribly popular within the dominion, but they can produce it, and the Deimos, being a raven product is ostentensibly made by an ally.

I also don't think the Tomahawk II is going to be overtly jealously guarded. It's not a totem or anything, it's just a good mech. Not that they'll give it away, but it's not a matter of honor to defend it's exclusivity. They managed okay with the Dire Wolf being a non-exclusive mech.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #182 on: 18 January 2015, 17:34:28 »
Highest BV Tomahawk II: B 3513

Highest BV Executioner: G 3825
The F is also superior and I am more than happy to use an I to duel assault 'Mechs.

The Shrike, Tundra Wolf, Demios, Dire Wolf, and Hellstar all have superior BVed variants.

The Gyrfalcon has a super variant thanks to TSEMP and the Turkina Z is the current king at 3935 BV, but it is running Society tech.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #183 on: 18 January 2015, 18:07:09 »
I'm sure foxx will be along shortly as well, to speak of the numerous times he has gone to town on my poor Tomahawk IIs with those very same executioners.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #184 on: 18 January 2015, 18:27:22 »
And remember, While the Ghost Bears like bigger mechs, they are usually faster mechs as well. All of our common (produced) front-line Omni-mechs go 4/6 or faster. We have really embraced the speed part of the attack, but not over zealously like the Ice Hellions. A 3/5 assault mech is nice, but we generally only use those is garrison clusters where movement is not as necessary. The Executioner is not likely to be replaced anytime soon.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #185 on: 18 January 2015, 18:31:26 »
A thought, we all know that the Bear's tend to prefer large (or fast, or preferably both) machines.  With the introduction of the Tomahawk II as THE Clan 100 tonne assault mech (assuming that Dire Wolves can't be built any more or are built in limited numbers) Do folks think that the Bear's would build their own counter to this new large front line Omni as I'm going to guess that the Wolf Empire is going to do EVERYTHING it can to keep the Tommy II exclusive to their Clan.

Tomahawk II is available to the Hell's Horses so just jump the boarder and trail for a few.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #186 on: 18 January 2015, 20:33:47 »
And remember, While the Ghost Bears like bigger mechs, they are usually faster mechs as well. All of our common (produced) front-line Omni-mechs go 4/6 or faster. We have really embraced the speed part of the attack, but not over zealously like the Ice Hellions. A 3/5 assault mech is nice, but we generally only use those is garrison clusters where movement is not as necessary. The Executioner is not likely to be replaced anytime soon.

One thing to keep in mind is that we seem to have largely transitioned our assault formations to standard BattleMechs over the years regardless of weather they are front or second line so that is not necessarily indicative of anything beyond that general trend.  Of course, a lot of those standard designs are also 4/6, but we do also have our share of 3/5 designs running (or more accurately plodding) around.

Also, we do have access to the Raven's 3/5(6) Deimos and there are still a handful of Dire Wolves that refuse to die so whatever Tomahawk II's we have picked up are not alone in the slow assault category.

Now, with all that said, I would love to see us put a 100 ton, 3/5 monster of an omni into production, especially if it takes advantage of Ferro-Lamellor Armor to be an absolute brick.

View my design musings or request your own custom ride here.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #187 on: 18 January 2015, 20:46:11 »
One thing to keep in mind is that we seem to have largely transitioned our assault formations to standard BattleMechs over the years regardless of weather they are front or second line so that is not necessarily indicative of anything beyond that general trend.  Of course, a lot of those standard designs are also 4/6, but we do also have our share of 3/5 designs running (or more accurately plodding) around.

Also, we do have access to the Raven's 3/5(6) Deimos and there are still a handful of Dire Wolves that refuse to die so whatever Tomahawk II's we have picked up are not alone in the slow assault category.

Now, with all that said, I would love to see us put a 100 ton, 3/5 monster of an omni into production, especially if it takes advantage of Ferro-Lamellor Armor to be an absolute brick.

"We're calling it the Rasputin."

"Scientist Steve, you are fired."
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • There's always another option.
« Reply #188 on: 18 January 2015, 23:48:19 »
A Clan Sea Fox buddy of mine as issued a Trial of Possession for my dining room table. (I'm not sure if he means to actually take my table should he win. My wife might have a rather violent reaction if he wins and that is actually his intention.  :)))

After bidding, we are down to the following forces, to be balanced at 15,000BV2.

Clan Sea Fox Star (Attackers)
Warhammer IIC 4
Karhu B
Black Hawk (Standard)
Tiburon
Koshi (Standard)

2nd Bear Regulars (Defenders)
Arcas
Kodiak 2
Bruin

At 15,000BV2, he will have mostly Clan standard pilots with one pilot upgraded to veteran level skills. I'm guessing he would be looking to put his best gunner in the Karhu. My Arcas pilot is at 2/2 with the other two pilots at 2/3. He has the advantage in numbers and total tons, but my pilots are a bit better.

As the defender, I have selected the canyon maps as our battleground. He has two `Mechs without jump jets, so that should limit his Star's total mobility at least some. 

I do not know if he plans to stick to zellbrigen, and to be a bit cheeky I might keep my Ursus and Grizzly on the side of the table in the case that he breaks it. Then I can call in my last bid with little to no honor loss.  O0

Over all, I'm feeling good about my chances of victory moving into the fight. The Karhu and the Warhammer IIC might be troublesome pains to put down, but if I can manage to get them damaged/mitigated/destroyed early enough, then victory in the Trial should be attainable.

I will let you all know how it goes. It should be a pretty good battle.
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

WeaponX

• Warrant Officer
  • Ghost Bear Maniac
    • Ghost Bear Mania
« Reply #189 on: 19 January 2015, 00:49:43 »

When I was looking at the Tomahawk II entry in TRO 3145 Clans a few months back, the thought also occured to me that the Bears don't really have anything in their production line that comes close to the Tomahawk II (or even the Dire Wolf) in regards to pod space availability, which is what inspired me to come up with the "Cave Bear".  Even though I could have, I didn't use Ferro-Lamellor armor because I wanted the "Cave Bear" to have a lot of crit space to go along with the high pod space.
"Do you not understand the nature of the Bear?  For months he sleeps in hibernation, but do not dare disturb him.  The Bear's anger is unforgiving once provoked."

-Mechwarrior Zane
  Clan Nova Cat

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #190 on: 19 January 2015, 01:40:53 »
When I was looking at the Tomahawk II entry in TRO 3145 Clans a few months back, the thought also occured to me that the Bears don't really have anything in their production line that comes close to the Tomahawk II (or even the Dire Wolf) in regards to pod space availability, which is what inspired me to come up with the "Cave Bear".  Even though I could have, I didn't use Ferro-Lamellor armor because I wanted the "Cave Bear" to have a lot of crit space to go along with the high pod space.

That is basically a Dire Wolf clone.

As for the crit space limitations of FL, I got around that on my own design by using a SFE which worked quite well.  You obviously loose about 10 tons of pod space, but it makes the 'Mech even tougher and the increased durability balances out the lost firepower when you compare it to the old Dire Wolf (or the similar Tomahawk II) which makes the 'Mechs nicely distinct despite the fact that they have the same weight and speed.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #191 on: 19 January 2015, 14:06:58 »
"We're calling it the Rasputin."

"Scientist Steve, you are fired."

funny enough, and foxx can vouch for me on this, I've long piloted a Hardened Armor Stone Rhino known as "Rasputin"

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #192 on: 19 January 2015, 15:11:59 »
funny enough, and foxx can vouch for me on this, I've long piloted a Hardened Armor Stone Rhino known as "Rasputin"

Was just gonna post the irony of his joke being true  ;D also my love of taking out tomahawk's with Executioners. Hell the other day in that campaign game when i was piloting a TII and saw my zell opponent was one of the executioners i typically use to shame other assaults....I knew what the result was gonna be but tried to convince myself other wise  :'(

Is anyone else just having too much fun with the Karhu G? I'm not a really big fan of heavy lasers but i just love this mech.

PS. i made a mech thats basically a offspring of a Kingfisher and a Direwolf, but its so ugly i'm ashamed to post it on the forums, but its really hard to kill!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #193 on: 19 January 2015, 15:34:52 »
PS. i made a mech thats basically a offspring of a Kingfisher and a Direwolf, but its so ugly i'm ashamed to post it on the forums, but its really hard to kill!

That sounds a lot like the assault I was talking about earlier.  22 tons of FL Armor (that is the max for a 100 ton frame) and a SFE makes a 'Mech that is very hard to kill.  If you want to see the stats, it is the first design posted in my design thread in the link in my signature, although I think some of the configurations might be a bit out of date.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #194 on: 19 January 2015, 15:38:14 »
That sounds a lot like the assault I was talking about earlier.  22 tons of FL Armor (that is the max for a 100 ton frame) and a SFE makes a 'Mech that is very hard to kill.  If you want to see the stats, it is the first design posted in my design thread in the link in my signature, although I think some of the configurations might be a bit out of date.

I went a little further, i armored the gyro and the cockpit  >:D the way i tested it was to put it a hex away from a tomahawk/direwolf (tested it against both) and had them lob hellfire at each other from point blank range. But i think armoring the gyro and the cockpit makes it invalid to be a omni right? so i'm under the assumption its an illegal design *another reason i havn't posted it*
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #195 on: 19 January 2015, 16:25:26 »
I went a little further, i armored the gyro and the cockpit  >:D the way i tested it was to put it a hex away from a tomahawk/direwolf (tested it against both) and had them lob hellfire at each other from point blank range. But i think armoring the gyro and the cockpit makes it invalid to be a omni right? so i'm under the assumption its an illegal design *another reason i havn't posted it*

I am honestly not sure about that either, although a quick check on Sarna makes it look like you can so long as you do it during initial unit design.  That said, armored components always seemed like a bit of a waste to me, especially for the cockpit which is highly unlikely to take a crit, so I never use them.  The Gyro is the one component I can kind of see the logic in armoring, but now we have Heavy Duty Gyros and Compact Gyros which offer similar protection for less weight so I would rather use them instead.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #196 on: 19 January 2015, 17:51:24 »
it has a heavy duty gyro. in one match it took a couple gyro hits and kept ticking. We also have a lot of headshots in our games so i just wanted something that would help protect the pilot. I'll have to find it when i'm back home and not at my girlfriends but it had other features to help it survive longer.

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #197 on: 19 January 2015, 19:15:50 »
it has a heavy duty gyro. in one match it took a couple gyro hits and kept ticking. We also have a lot of headshots in our games so i just wanted something that would help protect the pilot. I'll have to find it when i'm back home and not at my girlfriends but it had other features to help it survive longer.

Ah, I see, although I feel like that is going to cost you more in lost firepower than it gives back in survivability more often than not.  Also, head shots tend to kill a 'Mech based on location destruction rather than critting the cockpit which is not something an armored cockpit is going to help you with.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #198 on: 19 January 2015, 19:26:48 »
omnis are allowed to armor components. Savage Wolf has a few.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #199 on: 19 January 2015, 21:10:18 »
The 3/5 assault's role is typically fire support. Range and speed will kill a slow brawler these days.
Now arguably the role is filled by the Viking IIC (fun fact went hardened over FL because guess who invented Clan hardened. Oh, and crits). But more relevantly fire support is covered by the Mad Dogs. That's why there is no fire support Karhu.

Executioners and Kodiaks (oh how I loath that 'Mech) fill the trooper and brawler role respectively.

If I had the opportunity to fix up the touman from scratch.

1. A fast light. The Wulfen comes to mind.
2. Upgrade the Executioner.
3. Kill off the Kodiak.

The BattleMech issue is just a matter of time. We don't make that many. Of course after 150 years of OmniMechs none of the Clans had killed off BattleMechs in 3050.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #200 on: 19 January 2015, 21:24:18 »
The Gyro is the one component I can kind of see the logic in armoring, but now we have Heavy Duty Gyros and Compact Gyros which offer similar protection for less weight so I would rather use them instead.

Actually, HD gyros are always heavier (and much more expensive) than an equivalent armored gyro. Not only that, but HD gyros can only take one extra hit overall, whereas armored gyros can take one extra hit per crit slot, making them much tougher. Really, as far as I can tell, there is literally no advantage to taking an HD gyro when you could armor a standard gyro instead.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Diablo48

• Major
« Reply #201 on: 19 January 2015, 22:26:01 »
The 3/5 assault's role is typically fire support. Range and speed will kill a slow brawler these days.
Now arguably the role is filled by the Viking IIC (fun fact went hardened over FL because guess who invented Clan hardened. Oh, and crits). But more relevantly fire support is covered by the Mad Dogs. That's why there is no fire support Karhu.

That is a fair assessment of the roll of 3/5 assaults, although a short range supplementary battery is also useful to check a charging enemy.  The Viking IIC is also not a bad fire support platform, but the lack of big hole punchers is something of a limitation so something with a few ERPPCs and maybe Gauss Rifles would be a good addition to our arsenal.  Also, assault omnis are extremely helpful for urban combat because you can swap from your normal fire support configuration to a jumping brawler that will be much more effective in a city, especially if they have FL armor to take a lot of the bite out of infantry weapons (infantry do damage in 2-point clusters which get reduced to 1 by FL for half damage).

As for the other designs, it is useful to have a fire support configuration for every omni in case you wind up with a bunch of Karhus and no Mad Dogs or have a lot of standard brawlers and need all your omnis providing fire support.  Also, lighter designs like the Mad Dog do not make good substitutes for assaults because they do not have the armor and firepower to really lay into the enemy and shrug off the return fire like assaults do (incidentally, that need to absorb a huge amount of damage is a big part of why I think FL is a good choice for a new 100 ton assault omni).

MidfieldMarauder

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • There's always another option.
« Reply #202 on: 20 January 2015, 00:14:54 »
Trial of Possession follow-up. (I set the stage in my last post, above.)

As the attacker, Clan Sea Fox issued duel challenges. He challenged my Arcas with his Karhu B and my Bruin with his Warhammer IIC 4. He then bid a 3v1 challenge of his Tiburon, Koshi (Standard), and Black Hawk (Standard) against my Kodiak 2. I heartily accepted his terms, and the battle proceeded.

The Arcas kept the Karhu at range for more than half the game, mitigating the effectiveness of the OmniMech's big autocannon. The Bruin and Warhammer IIC slugged it out the entire game with both `Mechs taking massive damage until the final two rounds when the Bruin deprived the Warhammer IIC of key weapon systems and won the upper hand. The Kodiak had a grand time, leading his three opponents into a narrow part of the canyon map where their maneuverability and speed counted for nothing, and they got chewed up one at a time despite their attempts to concentrate their firepower.

At the end of Round 7, Clan Sea Fox requested hegira. The Tiburon and Warhammer IIC were both out of the fight, with the Koshi one good whisper from toppling over. The Karhu had armor breaches all over its right side, and the Black Hawk was the best looking Sea Fox `Mech with nary a scratch. All three of the Ghost Bear `Mechs were operational, with the Bruin and Arcas looking beat up but still functional.

My opponent judged that the rest of the battle would not go his way, thus the request to withdraw. Clan Ghost Bear granted Clan Sea Fox's request, and Clan Ghost Bear was declared the victor.

Afterwards, we had an after action strategy session where we discussed the moves made by each player and how the strategies could have been improved. Basically, it came down to Clan Sea Fox picking the wrong targets. It was decided that a better set of match-ups would have been as follows: Karhu vs Bruin, Warhammer IIC vs Kodiak, and the remaining three would have taken turns harassing and weakening the Arcas, perhaps even bidding a 2v1 from the beginning and leaving one `Mech in reserve of the rest of the units.

The Karhu would have been able to use its speed to get into kill range with the Bruin, utilizing maneuverability that the Warhammer IIC just did not have. The Warhammer IIC would have been able to punish the Kodiak at range, engaging outside of the Kodiak's kill radius. While the Kodiak would no doubt have eventually closed on the Warhammer IIC, it would have suffered much greater damage doing so than it did against the trio of lighter `Mechs.

Of course, there are no guarantees, but that was how we saw the battle when looking back. The Sea Fox player could have picked much better fights. As it was, I got exactly the match-ups I wanted and used the terrain to my advantage (Without breaking LOS, of course! No dezgra points for this Ghost Bear!).

We both had a lot of fun with the battle, though, and he promises that the next Trial will not be so easy for me to win.  ::)
Dave "Middy" Martin
CDT Agent #880

Author of "Lost Ghosts" (Shrapnel #9), "That Old Highlander Way" (Slack Tide Anthology), "In Service to the Dragon" (Gray Markets Anthology), and the BattleCorps stories "Loyalty's Price" and "Risk of Honor"

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #203 on: 20 January 2015, 16:57:44 »
that sounds like a lot of fun.  O0 I wish I could find people whom I could bid against, like that...
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #204 on: 20 January 2015, 17:02:50 »
since he was the Sea Foxs, i'm assuming he trialed for your table so he could sell you a new one  ;)

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #205 on: 20 January 2015, 18:53:40 »
since he was the Sea Foxs, i'm assuming he trialed for your table so he could sell you a new one  ;)

or the same one back again, plus a new coat of paint?

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #206 on: 21 January 2015, 19:27:23 »
my latest painted mini

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/miniatures/bruin-44317/

Steve, think you especially might like this :)
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #207 on: 21 January 2015, 19:32:30 »
I must not run away i must not run away!

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #208 on: 21 January 2015, 21:15:24 »
Totally a delayed reaction but....You don't like the Karhu, Jellico?  :'(

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #209 on: 21 January 2015, 21:19:00 »
I designed the Karhu and like it.

I don't like the Kodiak because it draws off vital TRO spots needed for Omni renewal. See TRO3145 as an example.

Register