Author Topic: Aviation pictures  (Read 205840 times)

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Aviation pictures
« on: 22 October 2014, 16:32:30 »
Okay, hasn't been one of these threads for a while. Post your significant, uplifting, bizarre and/or cool aviation pictures here.

I'll start with something that brings a tear to my eye:

On a related note, there's a BBC two-part special "Cold War, Hot Jets" about British post-war aviation design. If you love post-war aviation, find it & watch it. The first one's about fighters, the second's about bombers - the little vignette about "when the balloon goes up" in the second one is wrenching.

W.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
Re: Aviation pictures
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2014, 17:10:30 »
Went to the WWII weekend in Reading this past June.

I'll dig out some more later.
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2014, 17:19:49 »
It's hard to take an ugly picture of a Spitfire ... but somehow the Avenger always appeals more. Gloriously ugly?
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2014, 17:30:54 »
It's hard to take an ugly picture of a Spitfire ... but somehow the Avenger always appeals more. Gloriously ugly?
That guy wasn't trying to save on gas.  The first pass he made was a screamer and he didn't let up till he landed.

The Avenger is HUGE!  I always knew it was large, but in person it is a really fat lumpy airplane.

"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2014, 18:02:57 »
B-25 AND a B-17? Where is this, is it anywere near Chicago or Miami (eg. can I get a work trip at the right time)?

I've been to IWM Duxford, and seen static displays of so many amazing planes. But ... not alive.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2014, 18:25:53 »
B-25 AND a B-17? Where is this, is it anywere near Chicago or Miami (eg. can I get a work trip at the right time)?

I've been to IWM Duxford, and seen static displays of so many amazing planes. But ... not alive.

The B25 and B17 are based in Detroit at the Yankee Air Musuem. They are flying and you can take rides on them. They are put away for the season and the winter.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2014, 19:07:22 »
WT, that first photo is amazing, where on earth did THAT come from?

Oh, and here.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2014, 19:16:30 »
Okay, list the planes in that photo? Top down,

- Su-24?
- ?
- F-22?
- YF-26?
- ?
- ?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2014, 19:28:27 »
Top to bottom, Hawk (trainer), F-22, Su-33, F-15C, MiG-29 (two-seat), F-18C. It's from a recent training operation between American and Malaysian air units.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2014, 19:31:48 »
That doesn't look like an Su-33. It's a two-seater and the -33 hasn't actually seen any export sales.

I believe it's Hawk, F-22, Su-30 MKI, F-15C, Mig-29UB, F/A-18D

Don't quote me on the Hornet, It could be an F.

I'm guessing this is joint exercises with India? Most Flanker users are in the Pacific, and India is one of the few countries to operate both the Fulcrum and the Flanker.

My only question is... why didn't they bring their Mirage-2000s to play?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2014, 19:33:32 »
You're probably right on the aircraft models, Chanman- I have several other shots from that set, but they're too big to post. I'll see if I can find the article I pulled them from and I'll update when I find it.

EDIT: Here you go. Be sure to look around, they have some of the best airplane photos in some of their articles...

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/us-air-forces-f-22s-f-15s-just-battled-one-of-their-m-1596305711
« Last Edit: 22 October 2014, 19:40:05 by JadeHellbringer »

+Crow T. Robot+

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #11 on: 22 October 2014, 19:35:46 »
You're probably right on the aircraft models, Chanman- I have several other shots from that set, but they're too big to post. I'll see if I can find the article I pulled them from and I'll update when I find it.

Actually, I take that back. It could be Malaysia too. They operate the Hornet, Hawk, Flanker, and Fulcrum (holy redundency, Batman!) AND their Flankers are two-seaters with canards.

It certainly makes more sense than the  US Navy and Air Force being involved in the same exercise :P

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 22 October 2014, 19:37:54 »

http://www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

1 B-17, Yankee Lady
1 B-24: Diamond Lil
4 B-25's: Yankee Warrior, Panchito, Take-Off Time, and Briefing Time.
2 Avengers
2 Mustangs
one Dauntless SBD
1 F4F Wildcat
the Spitfire
1 Thunderbolt
bunches of trainers from stearman through T-6 Texans
and some transports and a few other aircraft.

Meow Liao

• Warrant Officer
  • The PPC Kitty
« Reply #13 on: 22 October 2014, 19:41:02 »
Today's paper had an article on the Memphis Belle.  Oct 25 she'll be in Huntsville, AL and Oct 26 here in Chattanooga.

Meow Liao

Have some plum wine with that PPC.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #14 on: 22 October 2014, 20:10:42 »
The first pic is very cool
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #15 on: 22 October 2014, 20:11:10 »
I love the Thud. it is my favorite plane of that by gone era. The Spits is a gorgeous plane and love seeing the Dauntless.  Need to upload from my phone the pics of the B-24 and B-17 that were in North Idaho recently

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #16 on: 22 October 2014, 22:31:18 »
The new PAK T-50 leading an Su-33 and Su-27

+Crow T. Robot+

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #17 on: 22 October 2014, 22:41:38 »
Summer of 2013 I went to an airshow in the region. There was a flock of T-6/SNJ/Harvards, a post war F-51 Mustang, a liason plane, and an Avenger on static display.

The Avenger is a massive single engine propeller aircraft.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 22 October 2014, 22:44:31 »
The Su-27s and family are such handsome planes; just on how they look, I still wish that we'd chosen them for Australia's next fighter. (And let's not descend into politics, thanks).

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #19 on: 22 October 2014, 23:11:17 »
The new PAK T-50 leading an Su-33 and Su-27

I think the trailing plane is either a Su-32 or Su-34 (Depends who's doing the designating on what day of the week). The -33 is the carrier version - single seat with canards.

I think the T-50 should probably be called "Raptorski" or somesuch   ;)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #20 on: 22 October 2014, 23:30:23 »
Couple of years back I was in Dayton, Ohio at the Air Force Museum (and yes, there is a Marine Corp and a Navy one too, but oddly no Army...) and got to see the Memphis Belle undergoing reconstruction. Here you go!
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 22 October 2014, 23:33:36 »
And here is why I really was in Dayton, the YF-23. Not shown directly above it was the Valkyrie.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: 22 October 2014, 23:35:00 »
Plenty of more pics, but I will stop here. A P-40 painted up Flying Tigers colors. In front of it is a Flying Tigers jacket owned by yours truly.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #23 on: 22 October 2014, 23:37:49 »
And here is why I really was in Dayton, the YF-23. Not shown directly above it was the Valkyrie.

It's hard to get good shots of the XB-70 in that hanger. Showing off its 6 huge engines is worth it.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 22 October 2014, 23:41:59 »
Yeah, I really hope when they open up the new hanger being built they put it up in display in a way worthy of the Valkyrie. Not just shoved into a old and dusty hanger. I mean it was the symbol of the Air Force museum after all! Here have a pic of a B-36.

DaveMac

• Lieutenant
  • Running for home...
« Reply #25 on: 23 October 2014, 03:05:13 »

Duxford is great, as is the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden (http://www.shuttleworth.org/shuttleworth-collection/aircraft.asp)

Well worth going to one of the flying days at Duxford

https://www.flickr.com/groups/airshows2014/

Go to red alert!
Are you sure sir?  It does mean changing the lightbulb.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #26 on: 23 October 2014, 05:50:16 »
Some great shots there Ghost  O0

Once my two girls are a bit older I need to take the family on the pilgrimage to Temora Air Museum . . .

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #27 on: 23 October 2014, 06:16:42 »
Speaking of Spitfires, one of my favourite youtube clips of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iOoiEbtf2w
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

TS_Hawk

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
« Reply #28 on: 23 October 2014, 11:02:39 »
Awesome photos Fee

Thank you Hikage
Agent 694 N. Idaho

IAMCLANWOLF

• Freelance Artist
  • Major
« Reply #29 on: 23 October 2014, 12:39:18 »
The Su-27s and family are such handsome planes; just on how they look, I still wish that we'd chosen them for Australia's next fighter. (And let's not descend into politics, thanks).

Yes sir, they are!! I even illustrated a set of blueprints for a fantasy US made SU-33R in VFA-103's scheme.
What a beautiful family of aircraft. Actually, the Flanker is probably my favorite of any.

Register