Author Topic: What if the Clan invasion succeeded?  (Read 3174 times)

Lexington

• Recruit
What if the Clan invasion succeeded?
« on: 24 November 2014, 15:15:39 »
what was the plan to govern the Inner Sphere?

What if Comstar lost the battle of Tukayyid? What if they turned over Earth? What if they didn't turn Earth over?

Domi1981

• Warrant Officer
Re: What if the Clan invasion succeeded?
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2014, 15:57:36 »
I think it would be Vietnam with guerilla cells fighting the oppressors.

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2014, 18:06:29 »
Assuming they would do good on their deal, I could see Scorpion happening on key planets.
In fact, the push for finding the Clan Homeworlds would have been faster.
After all they took the cradle of Humanity, time to take theirs and strangle them.

If they didn't, then the Clans would have no need to hold back on the firepower they possess.
It could have been ugly, I'm talking Jihad mixed with early Succession Wars and a dash of Malvina Hazen ugly.  :-\
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Mohammed As`Zaman Bey

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2014, 21:17:34 »
  Winning Tukayyid does not equate to a successful invasion -The first stumbling block would be the Clans fighting among themselves through a series of bitter, destructive, Trials of Possession, to determine just which Clan is to land on Terra first. That would be followed by equally destructive Trials of Refusal, declared by Clans unwilling to submit to Clan XXXX.

A united Clans may seem formidable but I'd only worry if Khan Ulric was in charge. Clan unity has always been a myth. The invasion was always a competition and the Clans do not excel in cooperation, even criticizing the advice Khan Ulric gave them, prior to Tukayyid. Commanding the Clans was like herding cats.

Winning Terra does not equal success if the House refuse to allow those claiming victory access. The Clans may have defeated Comstar, but Comstar does not speak for the Inner Sphere and never has. There is also a good change that a large portion of Comstar, loyal to Terra and their ideals, would break away and continue the war against the invaders.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2014, 21:27:17 »
Yeah, its likely that the great houses could sit back with a tub of popcorn and watch the invading clan fighting it out over who gets terra as well as the homeworld clans coming in and doing the same afterstating how weak the invading clans had become. Homeworld clans come in with fresh units and a much larger number of clans and begin the drive on terra a second time. House leaders choke on said popcorn after seeing the vast numbers being brought in to crush the original invaders and so the great houses get dragged in to a free-for-all against each other and 10 or more new clans.

It would be the 1st SW + Jihad + WoR all over the IS. The entire Terran corridor and Chaos March would more than likely be a barren nuclear wasteland. By the end of it... the Clans and the Great Houses would effectively cease to exist as a military threat to anyone leaving the periphery states to come in and pick up whatever they want.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2014, 01:16:38 »
ComStar fanatics that would later become the WoB would never had over Terra. They would continue fighting to all, the way to Terra, probably use warships and nukes in attempt to turn the tide in there favor. Clans would then probably call ComStar Dezgra and do the same to annihilate them.

Clans would smash most of Comstar but would take there licks along the way plus would still fight each other over to become Ilclan (it would take a long time to take Terra from ComStar, at least enough time for multiply clans to land there in there bid to become Ilclan)

While the Lyran Commonwealth and DC would continue to get beaten back, they would never stop fight. Reaching Terra would only mean Fed Sun, Cap Con and FWL forces are now in good striking distance.

Clans would continue to fight the IS and each other, the IS would continue to fight the Clan and each other and I see no reason why the WoB ComStar would not stop using nukes to "save" Terra from the evil barbarian (that being everyone who's not ComStar)

Yeah... it would have been fun. 
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2014, 07:03:51 »
Hmm, I was considering this on my commute home (actually, for an AU centered around IlClan Smoke Jaguar).  I figured the clans would take decades to conquer the spbere, if at all.  The IlClan and a few alljed ones would make a point of conquering the old Hegemony for themselves, while others may be allowed to conquer the rest of the sphere outside that area.  But itwould be a drawn out conquest.

But, would make for decades of fun war.  And even more as the clans fight among themselves again. 
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2014, 08:48:50 »
The clans would have definitely ended up fighting each other no matter what. As someone else mentioned they would end up fighting Comstar the entire way. The WOB wouldn't have happened, instead they would have stuck with Comstar and likely used every dirty trick they have, or would have used. The homeworld clans would have seen the invading clans as being weak if they could not take Terra within a few years and would have likely gone through some trials to get in on the fight, likely trials against the invading clans for their right to be in the I.S. instead of trying to get more clans into the I.S. invasion.

I don't think Bulldog would have happened the way it did. I think it would have been some WOB wet dream of nuking the clans' homeworlds in order to cut off the tap of supplies going to the clans in the I.S. I think it would be a bitter drive and landing on Terra. I think the whole idea was doomed from the begining since no one would likely surrender to the clans, especially if they hadn't surrendered to another house by that point. What's a few more hundred years of war to them? Not only that but the clans would be getting into the I.S. form of war, and who is to say that those that adapted would have still been viewed as a clan if it went on to long?

Rtifs

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2014, 18:56:40 »
If they’d won Tukayyid, do you really think Myndo Waterly would have turned over Terra and Comstar to them?  Not likely.  The issue of IlClan would have been settled (that’s why they fought separate campaigns on Tukayyid).  But they still would have had to conquer their way to Terra.  It would have taken at least another 2-4 years.  Then they could bring in the bottom feeder clans to finish the IS. 

I don’t see a way for the IS to win - aside from the Comstar victory on Tukayyid, or not fighting on Tukayyid at all.  Imagine Comstar waiting till the clans fought their way to Terra, and then saying “oh by the way, now that you’re spread thin across your invasion corridors, we’ve got 50 regiments on Terra.”

imweasel

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 25 November 2014, 20:49:42 »
Commanding the Clans was like herding cats.

Sig'ed.
Commanding the Clans was like herding cats.

Rebel Yell

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 26 November 2014, 00:44:11 »
BT would have died
3025-3039 The Glory days of BT. Everything after that can get off my lawn.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #11 on: 26 November 2014, 10:18:30 »
For the invasion to really work you'd need a radically different Clans, as folks have said, trying to lead them is like herding cats probably visualised best with the aid of this.

You'd need them to be unified and for the whole invasion not to actually be a race between competing clans but for the clans working together for a unified goal.  But of course that would still result in 1st/2nd succession wars levels of nuclear violence and destruction.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: 26 November 2014, 10:22:30 »
For the invasion to really work you'd need a radically different Clans, as folks have said, trying to lead them is like herding cats probably visualised best with the aid of this.

You'd need them to be unified and for the whole invasion not to actually be a race between competing clans but for the clans working together for a unified goal.  But of course that would still result in 1st/2nd succession wars levels of nuclear violence and destruction.

Yes, it is like that!  lol

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2014, 11:25:58 »
And then when the IlKhan comes in with news of an operation or battle..

Lazarus Jaguar

• Captain
  • Stop! Hammer Time!
« Reply #14 on: 26 November 2014, 17:59:58 »
Here's a fun scenario:  what would happen in a Clan Victory universe when the IlClan's flagship misjumps, with a good number of their senior officers on it?  Can you imagine the fighting that would break out then?
You know, I love that every day in Japan is like a very peaceful game of RIFTs. - MadCapellan

around here, April Fools day is Serious! Business!

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2014, 19:50:52 »
Invasion succeeds = Adders crying

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 27 November 2014, 01:26:08 »
Here's a fun scenario:  what would happen in a Clan Victory universe when the IlClan's flagship misjumps, with a good number of their senior officers on it?  Can you imagine the fighting that would break out then?

Oh god it would be carnage :s

soshi

• Master Sergeant
  • reed'n be fun four da mentals
« Reply #17 on: 28 November 2014, 00:49:03 »
A marshaling of the clans by the ilkan  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk7yqlTMvp8

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 29 November 2014, 03:38:20 »
Really to get the Clans to win you'd have to change them so much they'd not be the Clans we know and love.  You'd actually have to give them a sense of grand strategy, have them work together instead of it being some kind of race more akin to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOQ89oRj3U8

You'd need to have the scientists supporting the warriors instead of thinking they are a bunch of knuckle dragging jocks who can't be trusted with shiny things so give them some more advanced tech (as well as them being less conservative) so the Clans also turn up with things like the HAG, HL and ATM in addition to their normal kit (possibly ER Pulse and SLRMs on very new prototypes). 

You'd need the Clans to listen to the Grand Council rather than it just be a chamber where people can insult one another whilst the Loremaster goes grey trying to control the yelling and threats of violence.  They'd need to be more unified, yes have the divide between Crusader and Warden but when the Grand Council and IlKhan say something then that is it.

You'd also have to probably have the Clans be considerably larger in terms of military forces, not only in terms of mech/elemental forces but also having a more combined arms strategy and a grasp of things like logistics instead of having the concept of Logistics that would worry even Rommel.  Their front line forces would need to include tanks, infantry and mechs as a unified whole (you know like the SLDF use to...)
This larger number of forces (along with ALL the clans invading when the invasion starts with them working together, not the Silly Olympics) would allow them to absorb losses rather than acting like the Imperial Japanese Navy and Airforce in WW2 being ground down to uselessness in Guadacanal.

And these are just things I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there's so much more that the Clans would need to do for the Invasion to succeed.

Register