Author Topic: The good the bad and the future?  (Read 2238 times)

TheDean

• Warrant Officer
The good the bad and the future?
« on: 02 December 2014, 10:42:19 »
First off, the short question; when will we see a new release schedule?

Next, the customer complaint. Before I start I want to preface this by saying I adore the Battletech universe and many of it's models. I voice my (sometimes negative) opinion here because I care so deeply about this game and I want it to last for a long time.

The Good:
The move to roughly half the models released this year born of a 3D printed world was a step in the right direction. While I don't doubt the skill of the hand sculptors, the world of Battletech really lends itself to the process of 3D printing, and as a bonus we can have a scale standard across the board.

The Bad:
The public relations I see from IWM is woeful. Often times I don't even see a non-painted (let alone painted) version of a new release for months after it's released for sale. I know they are not Games Workshop, but I would like to see a big more fanfare for their creations rather than just a foot note two months after a model is (finally) released. Even if the quarterly projections (that are almost never on time anyway) give way to a proper preview (the likes of what Infinity and Games Workshop does), it would be a huge improvement.

It seems that attracting new customers is put on the shoulders of the fans. While I am more than happy to show this game to anyone and everyone that shows even a fleeting interest I don't feel I am out of line to look for a little bit of support from the company. This could be in the form of an exclusive mini for myself and/or free game boards to use for my demos and introductory game play for the possible new players (customers). Many many companies have a form of this, and it helps bolster pride in your hobby.

The price of miniatures is only going to go up from here, maybe it's time to start moving production into resin or better yet high quality plastic with the new releases to keep cost down and quality up. Remember how great the plastic Loki/Thor kit was, just imagine the whole range moving to that standard.

I think with higher (across the board) quality miniatures, more PR emphasis, and rules (like Alpha Strike) that are welcoming to new players the game could see a growth like it has not seen in its long history.

I'm hoping for big things in 2015. I love this game and I want to see it become the giant it should be.

Alex Keller

• Captain
Re: The good the bad and the future?
« Reply #1 on: 02 December 2014, 17:08:11 »
I just placed a large order from IWM. I think they make some fantastic miniatures too.

I would like to see more from IWM regarding release schedules and updates for why things may be delayed. When there's no vision of the future,  there's a void. And when there's a void, people don't see IWM miniatures in their future and they leave IWM to pursue another hobby.

I also want to note that the last hobby store in Denver finally stopped carrying IWM battletech miniatures due in part to the delays and lack of transparency in release schedule. There are other factors but that was a big one. It's sad because they've been selling battletech minis for 20+ years. I don't want to see more hobby stores around the country meet the same fate.

Brother Jim

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 02 December 2014, 18:19:42 »
Scale standard??  ???

I don't think that's ever existed.  #P

But it would be nice if it did.
Catalyst just has to come up with official unit dimensions for every unit in the game and then they have to be sculpted to whatever the scale standard is.
« Last Edit: 02 December 2014, 18:22:08 by Brother Jim »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #3 on: 02 December 2014, 19:13:13 »
Scale standard??  ???

I don't think that's ever existed.  #P

But it would be nice if it did.
Catalyst just has to come up with official unit dimensions for every unit in the game and then they have to be sculpted to whatever the scale standard is.
It gets worse, what about volume?

If they really want to do a perfect job then every current sculpt would have to be scanned in and then computer rescaled for both height and volume. Madness I Say!
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 03 December 2014, 08:52:46 »
and as a bonus we can have a scale standard across the board.

The thought here is well-founded. The reality... is something different. I'm putting together a 'Mech-mode Waneta, and at 55 tons, it stands virtually shoulder-to-shoulder with the 3rd sculpt Atlas. That means that this fine example of CAD work is completely wacked in the scale department. The Cardinal VTOL is another one that is absolutely huge despite its CAD origins. The second dream-buster is that having a standard scale across the line would require re-doing all or most of the existing line. How many hundreds of minis do you think it is feasible to resculpt? This is a huge difference between starting a line and remaking BT. It is far easier to start with 10-20 minis at a set scale, funded by other people's money via a Kickstarter, than it is to do several hundred minis that will not get that kind of support.

The price of miniatures is only going to go up from here, maybe it's time to start moving production into resin or better yet high quality plastic with the new releases to keep cost down and quality up. Remember how great the plastic Loki/Thor kit was, just imagine the whole range moving to that standard.

Ask your local Warmachine players how much PP's switch to plastic is saving them. I can tell you, you won't like the answer if you think that plastic minis automatically equals cheaper minis. Quality still costs, even if the end product is plastic. Funny thing here too; the plastic Loki and Thor are the same as the metal ones already available. That quality is here now, not just in some speculative future.

It seems that attracting new customers is put on the shoulders of the fans. While I am more than happy to show this game to anyone and everyone that shows even a fleeting interest I don't feel I am out of line to look for a little bit of support from the company. This could be in the form of an exclusive mini for myself and/or free game boards to use for my demos and introductory game play for the possible new players (customers). Many many companies have a form of this, and it helps bolster pride in your hobby.

I believe you're directing your concern in the wrong direction on this point; IWM does not own BT. They only license the rights to produce minis. Look into CGL's Agent program. It may be more in line with what you are seeking.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2014, 16:52:54 »
First off, the short question; when will we see a new release schedule?

We where in the process of getting it finalized and plus Mike has been busy last few weeks with a big new contract casting customer. So we got delay doing the final review, but it is posted now through the 3rd Quarter.

The Good:
The move to roughly half the models released this year born of a 3D printed world was a step in the right direction. While I don't doubt the skill of the hand sculptors, the world of Battletech really lends itself to the process of 3D printing, and as a bonus we can have a scale standard across the board.

The move to CAD has seen some great models over this year. But this also bring in an extra step and time into the process that the hand sculpted items do not have, which is being sent off to the printer to get printed. Then when they are shipped into IWM, Mike and the Mold room guys have to check to make sure they are all good to either press to make the master or if there is a issue then it needs to be fixed and printed again. Where as with the hand sculpted minis, they are able to press them right away. So some of the delays with releases have been related to the differences, which IWM is learning to deal with.

The Bad:
The public relations I see from IWM is woeful. Often times I don't even see a non-painted (let alone painted) version of a new release for months after it's released for sale. I know they are not Games Workshop, but I would like to see a big more fanfare for their creations rather than just a foot note two months after a model is (finally) released. Even if the quarterly projections (that are almost never on time anyway) give way to a proper preview (the likes of what Infinity and Games Workshop does), it would be a huge improvement.

In a perfect world we would have painted images right away for a release, but most of the time CSO guys get the mini the same time as anyone else when it is released. This past release I have not done my part to get the other releases assembled as soon as I got them from Mike for the web store, last month has been busy on my end, but I am working on getting them done and up to fill in the gaps of what CSO already has done. Any time that CSO has a new painted image for the web store, I work to get it up as soon as I can. Hoping for a improvement for 2015, since we have adjusted how we are announcing releases to help deal with any issues on the production / Sculpting side that have affected past releases.

It is doubtful that IWM will ever venture into plastic since it has such a large up front cost and CGL is already doing plastic minis. As its already been mentioned, but the plastic Loki and Thor and exactly like the resculpted metal version that IWM sells.

Register