Author Topic: You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what?  (Read 7211 times)

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
Ok, for now we just have to pretend you can get your grubby hands on the new box. Work with me.

Like for thousands of others, the intro box is one of the primary entrepots into the BattleTech Universe. You’ve acquired a modest force of eight ‘Mechs (or ten if you went ham and also picked up the beginner box) and played a few games. So what now? How do you decide how to expand your experience in the face of thirty years of options? As it turns out, there are some natural inroads if you know where to look.

Though BattleTech is a game with an articulated and varied thematic periodization, purpose of this guide is not to conform your interests to any specific era, but to provide scaffolded purchasing options based on what you already have. As you immerse yourself in the fiction of the BattleTech Universe, you will be able to make your own decisions about which era or eras you are most drawn to. Some enjoy employing the tech on the most bleeding edge while others have remained firmly ensconced in the same source material available in 1987. The key is to have fun.

I have redesigned this guide to reflect new releases like the BMM and Technical Readout: Succession Wars and upcoming products, especially the newly previewed box set (estimated release: Q3/Q4 2018). I assume you, as a new player, is here for the giant, stompy robot action so the majority of my suggestions are geared toward Mech vs Mech combat. That said, I will provide some outlets for combined arms options. I have also intentionally omitted discussion of Alpha Strike, the abstracted, faster-playing BattleTech ruleset. I am not well-versed in the system or how to approach it as a new player so I will defer to someone more experienced with and passionate about Alpha Strike to write that particular guide. I have also shied away from A Time of War. Again, I will leave promotion of the RPG system to someone who can do it justice with a more convincing sales pitch than I could provide.

I had planned to include a guide for building a sourcebook narrative from the Age of War to the beginning of the Clan Invasion, but I’m up against the post character limit so that will have to be done separately at a later time.

Products listed in this document are available at store.catalystgamelabs.com or drivethrurpg.com.

If you are a returning player looking to get caught up on the changes to the game since you’ve been gone, I recommend the excellent primer prepared by mbear found here.

CONTENTS
  • The Game Universe
  • Navigating the Timeline
  • Purchasing Guide
  • Resources and Freebies
  • Closing Thoughts

THE GAME UNIVERSE
The BattleTech Universe is vast and contains no less than eleven officially articulated eras (I've grouped them into broader thematic categories below). The complexity does not inherently increase in a linear fashion from one era to another, however. The Star League was more technologically advanced than the Succession Wars. Primitive gear came back into use during the Jihad alongside bleeding-edge prototypes. The key is to find what you find most enjoyable. Remember that the timeline was not developed in a linear fashion. The Universe was born in media res, grounded in the year 3025, with sourcebooks produced detailing various events through about 3030. 1989’s Twenty Year Update catapulted the timeline forward two decades, with the intervening years only receiving significant treatment after 2003. The Star League Era, originally portrayed as a lost Utopia received significant treatment in 2012. I mention this to help explain why certain periods are much more “filled out” with Catalyst products than others. Many of the older sourcebooks books are available via PDF.

• From Colonizers to Galactic Empire
    • Age of War (2005-2570)
    • Star League (2571-2780)
  • Things Fall Apart
    • Early Succession Wars (2781-2900)
    • Late Succession Wars - LostTech (2901-3019)
    • Late Succession Wars - Renaissance (3020-3049)
  • Unrelenting Conflict
    • Clan Invasion (3050-3061)
    • FedCom Civil War (3062-3067)
    • Word of Blake Jihad (3068-3085)
  • Darkness and Fire
    • Early Republic (3086-3100)
    • Late Republic (3101-3130)
    • Dark Ages (3131-3150)

NAVAGATING THE TIMELINE
The BattleTech Universe timeline is large. For the most part, complexity tends to increase over time from 2400-3150 – though during the period covered by TRO: Succession Wars. After the introduction of the Mackie in 2439, new equipment was developed steadily through the Age of War into the Star League era. The unified interstellar empire of man imploded upon itself in 2780 after the usurper Stephan Amaris murdered the ruling family of the Star League, seized control of the Terran Hegemony, and left the Successor Lords of the five client states to bicker amongst themselves for supremacy. In their mutual grab for power, they collectively rebuked the savior from the Amaris tyranny, General Alexandr Kerensky. Stilted, Kerensky chose self-exile and fled the Inner Sphere with the bulk of the Star League’s massive army rather than allow them to be cannibalized in what he believed would ultimately be a futile war. The subsequent First (2786-2821) and Second (2830-2864) Succession Wars unleashed savage destruction that killed untold billions and caused advanced technology to almost completely disappear by the mid-thirtieth century.

The Third Succession War (2866-3025), marked a period of low-intensity warfare, marked by border raids and reprisals with few major operations. In 3028, two of the five interstellar empires, the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth formed an alliance and attempted to swallow another in the Capellan Confederation in numerically-consistent Fourth Succession War (3028-3030). About the same time, the legendary mercenary unit, the Gray Death Legion, uncovered a facility containing schematics for extinct Star League technologies on the planet Helm.

Through the 3030s and 3040s, each Successor State worked independently to bring lost technologies back into production and successfully made several breakthroughs thanks to the Helm Core’s data, with a complete recovery of Star League weapons and equipment by the late 3040s. While such weapon systems had been recovered in anticipation of doing further battle with each other, the Successor States’ ambitions of reuniting the Star League was thwarted in early 3050 with the sudden return of General Kerensky’s children, now reformed as the Clans – a hyper-militaristic society armed to the teeth with more advanced technologies than had ever been seen in the Inner Sphere. The warriors from beyond the periphery had come on a crusade to bring the now-sundered empire of man to heel under their own vision of the Star League.

In the moment of maximum crisis as planet after planet fell to the clan onslaught, ComStar, the mysterious and purportedly neutral steward of the network of Hyperpulse Generators that made interstellar communication possible, unveiled their secret army that had been hidden the shadows for centuries. Anastasius Focht, Precentor Marshal of ComStar’s hidden army, challenged the invading clans to a proxy battle on the planet of Tukayyid. Miraculously, the untested ComGuard army defeated the combined forces of the Clans and bought the Inner Sphere a fifteen-year reprieve.

As you noticed earlier, there is substantially more history to the BattleTech Universe – another entire century! But for simplicity’s sake I’m going to stop before the massive influx of new Mech chassis appearing between 3055 and 3075. The material available for the above-outlined history will provide you with more than enough material to get to started.

If you would like a more in-depth history of the Inner Sphere to the year 3067, check out the Universe Guide. It’s a free PDF that had been included in the various iterations of the box set since around 2002.

UNDERSTANDING THE PRODUCT LINE
CORE RULES
Beginning in 2006 with Total Warfare, Catalyst began releasing the current generation of full rules. Each adds added layers of complexity to your games.

The new box set and the BattleMech Manual represent a homecoming of sorts in a return to ‘Mech-centric roots, updating the core rules by incorporating known errata and adding weapons systems that have become common by 3150. This volume does not incorporate rules for ancillary units such as combat vehicles or power armor and omits the aerospace aspect of the game. The BMM does include new abstract support rules, making incorporating artillery and air support easier than ever. This volume serves as the follow-up rules companion to the box set, allowing for play in any of the game’s eras.

For those who are looking for a combined-armed experience, Total Warfare provides the ‘Mech rules in addition to combat vehicles, infantry, battle armor, support vehicles, WiGE aircraft, and aerospace units. The technology standard in this volume matches the standard of 3067, the forward edge of the timeline when the volume was originally published in 2006.

OTHER CORE RULEBOOKS

A number of other rulebooks can add depth and complexity to your games. I consider Tactical Operations to be the most essential of the set as it covers equipment that becomes more and more common as the timeline advances as well as rules for mines, artillery, and a variety of gameplay options.

TechManual: Construction rules for BattleMechs, IndustrialMechs, Protomechs, combat vehicles, support vehicles, infantry, battle armor, and aerospace units. TM also contains the formulas for BattleValue 2.0 if you’re the kind of lunatic that does that sort of thing by hand.

Tactical Operations: Additional rules for movement, combat, advanced buildings, advanced support vehicles, and diverse and extreme environmental conditions. As mentioned above, also includes rules for artillery and mines as well as a host of advanced equipment. Contains construction rules for advanced support vehicles as well as the advanced equipment.

Strategic Operations: Advanced aerospace rules including adding warships to space battles. Additionally contains Maintenance, Repair, Salvage, and Customization rules for campaign play. SO also presents the rules for BattleForce, a faster playing version of BattleTech for large engagements as well as the miniature rules for standard play.

Interstellar Operations: Detailing of BattleTech’s various eras including era-specific equipment (including Land-Air ‘Mechs). Contains the Universal Technology Advancement Table detailing the progress of military technology from the Age of War through the Dark Ages. Includes the strategic combat system Inner Sphere at War, the BattleTech version of a conquer the world board game.

Campaign Operations: Complete rules for building and managing a combat command from the ground up, unit types, special pilot abilities, and solar system creation. Contains the most recent revisions to the Chaos Campaign system, an accounting-light system used across a number of products. Allows for the creation of custom scenarios and campaigns.

OTHER PRODUCTS
The following products will help fill out the broad and varied BattleTech Universe. I have limited my discussion to products actively produced by Catalyst (or at least has received relatively recent support)

Era Reports and Digests
These publications give a synopsis of the political and military situations of the various factions during that particular era. These are setting books designed to flesh out the universe. Era Reports are full-sized sourcebooks while Era Digests tend to run around fifty pages and are PDF-only. The Era Digests also contain a number of Chaos Campaign missions specific to that era.

Field Manuals
Unlike Era Reports, these sourcebooks deal exclusively with military command and control of each major faction. Most regiments get "here's what they've been up to since the last update" paragraph - If they survived (the beginning of the Clan Invasion and the Jihad are especially notorious for the combat commands that more or less ceased to exist - ask a vet who knows the backstory about the demise of the Black Thorns).

Record Sheets - Unabridged
PDF-only product that contains most of the known variants (at the time of publication) for units featured in the TROs.

Technical Readouts (TROs)
These represent the bread and butter of BattleTech books going back to the 1980s. Each volume is a hardware catalog for units debuting (or rediscovered) around the date on the cover. TROs generally contain in-universe writeups for each unit that gives a brief synopsis of its development history, capabilities, deployment, and sometimes exploits of famous pilots who utilized that unit. Also included is bare-bones construction data for the variant featured. Game rules are generally not included. While TROs are not mandatory purchases, they act as a critical glue to the BattleTech Universe, giving some background and substance in an attempt to elevate BattleMechs beyond mere playing pieces.

Touring the Stars
The newest PDF-exclusive product highlights an eclectic mix of human-inhabited worlds across BT's history - both active and abandoned. Included in each writeup is a planetary history, ecology, seed ideas for a roleplaying group, and a planetary map for use with large-scale campaigns.

Turning Points
Catalyst released the Chaos Campaign several years ago as a flexible, streamlined, abstracted campaign system for tracking unit missions and resources (I personally run Chaos Campaigns and post-mission accounting often takes less than fifteen minutes). The Turning Points series of PDF campaigns allows for players to create random forces or insert their own units in a wide variety of conflict throughout the BattleTech timeline.

Maps
***Coming Soon™*** CGL has announced they will be producing the first new paper maps in over a decade. More info will be added when available. 

Author’s Editorial: The uncomfortable reality of record sheets: There’s no way to dance around this issue so I’m going to be blunt. In this early stage of your entry into the hobby, I cannot recommend that you buy record sheets. There has been a tension since the DOS days where fan-designed software has done the same job as the official product for free. On the other hand, not buying official record sheets discourages their production. I’m all for supporting CGL on this front – I’ve gone as far as buying every record sheet product they’ve released – the main reason I am dissuading you from spending any money at this juncture is because CGL has no released a companion record sheet product for TRO: Succession Wars so in order to have all of the sheets for units in that volume, you would need to purchase the unabridged volumes for 3039, 3050 Clan/Star League, 3050 Inner Sphere, 3058 Clan and Star League, 3058 Inner Sphere, and 3075: Age of War at $10 a pop. I sympathize with any hesitancy. If an official volume covering the sheets for TRO Succession Wars is released at any point, I will happily endorse it. Under the current circumstances, I cannot. In the meantime, I would recommend looking into design software. MegaMeklLab provides a java-based unit designer that contains virtually all canon units and prints the appropriate sheets. Mordel.net offers a web-based designer and database for ‘Mechs only that provides PDF downloads for the sheets you need. Both are high quality efforts.

PURCHASING GUIDE: FIRST PURCHACES
MILITARY EQUIPMENT AND YOU
Technical Readout: Succession Wars: With the release of the Mech-centric BattleMech Manual, Catalyst has released a compilation volume of designs from the Age of War in the 2500s through the Fourth Succession War, ending in 3030. These Mechs utilize a variety of technologies, including advanced equipment common during the Star League before the savage destruction of the early Succession Wars. Of the nearly one hundred designs included, about two-thirds can be plugged directly into your games using the GoAC rules. The remaining units require theBattleMech Manual or Total Warfare. Again, TROs aren’t required, but they give life and meaning to your combat units.
Technical Readout: 3039: If you prefer a more combined-arms approach, TRO: 3039 contains descriptions of several combat vehicles and aerospace fighters to supplement your ‘Mech forces. A large number of ‘Mechs in this volume are redundant with TRO: Succession Wars.
Technical Readout: 3050 Upgrade: If you’re feeling ambitious, you can take the next step into the early Clan Invasion (3049-3054). You’ll notice many similar units upgraded with recovered Star League technology (some more effectively than others). Also included are sixteen of the most iconic Clan OmniMechs, first seen by the Inner Sphere when the descendants of Kerensky returned in 3049-3050. Virtually every unit in this volume will require the BMM or TW.

PURCHASING GUIDE: EXPANDING YOUR FORCES
We all need more ‘Mechs. This is indisputable fact. Here are some suggestions for growing your fledging army.

Alpha Strike Lance Packs: While the card inserts are designed for use with Alpha Strike, both Alpha Strike and BattleTech use the same set of miniatures. At about $15 (or less) for four, these packs are one of the least expensive options for growing your army.

Out of Print Box SetsThough more and more difficult to find at reasonable prices, the 2007, 2011, and 2013 iterations of the box set contain 24 (26 for the latter two) minis. They originally had an MSRP of $60 but you’ll likely have to pay more.

Iron Wind Metals produces the vast majority of BattleMechs in pewter. Most require between some and substantial assembly. You’ll need a hobby knife, a metal file, superglue, a pin vice, and a little patience. I started as an absolute beginner around 2009 and have since assembled over a thousand minis with my big clumsy hands so it’s certainly within your grasp.

Finally, if you’re desperate for playing pieces and don’t want to make any serious investments, I have devised several sets of paper standups. They are not ideal, but the price is right.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=53689.0

’Mechs in TRO: Succession Wars compatible with the Game of Armored Combat Box or an older set of OOP Introductory Box Set Rules:
* Availible in one Pewter models that come as one piece and do not require gluing of any kind
^ Contained in one of the eight Alpha Strike lance packs
Code: [Select]
Flea FLE-16^
Locust LCT-1V
Commando COM-2D*
Falcon FLC-4N
Hermes HER-1A*
Javelin JVN-10N*
Spider SDR-5V^
UrbanMech UM-R60*
Firebee FRB-2E
Firestarter FS9-H^*
Jenner JR7-D^
OstScout OTT-7J
Panther PNT-9R^
Wolfhound WLF-1^
Assassin ASN-21*
Cicada CDA-2A^
Clint CLNT-2-3T^*
Hermes II HER-2S*
Icarus ICR-1S
Vulcan VL-2T^*
Whitworth WTH-1*
Blackjack BJ-1^*
Hatchetman HCT-3F^
Vindicator VND-1R^
Centurion CN9-A^
Chameleon CLN-7V
Crab CRB-27
Enforcer ENF-4R
Hunchback HBK-4G*
Phoenix PX-3R
Talos TLS-1B
Trebuchet TBT-5N^*
Dervish DV-6M^*
Gladiator GLD-4R
Griffin GRF-1N
Shadow Hawk SHD-2H
Wolverine WVR-6R
Dragon DRG-1N^*
Merlin MLN-1A
Quickdraw QKD-4G^*
Catapult CPLT-C1^
JagerMech JM6-S
Thunderbolt TDR-5S
Battleaxe BK-7K
Cataphract CTF-1X^
Grasshopper GHR-5H^*
Hammerhands HMH-3D
Orion ON1-K^
Awesome AWS-8Q^
Charger CGR-1A1^*
Hatamoto-Chi HTM-26T
Victor VTR-9B^
Zeus ZEU-6S^
BattleMaster BLR-1G
Stalker STK-3F^
Cyclops CP-10-Z^
Ymir BWP-2B
Banshee BNC-3S^
Atlas AS7-D^
King Crab KGC-0000

’Mechs in TRO: Succession Wars that use equipment with rules covered in the BattleMech Manual or Total Warfare:
Mercury MCY-99
Thorn THE-N
Mongoose MON-66
Firefly FFL-4B
Hussar HSR-200-D
Night Hawk NTK-2Q
Raven RVN-1X^
Spector SPR-5F
Talon TLN-5W
Sentinel STN-3L
Kyudo KY2-D-02
Galahad GLH-1D
Hoplite HOP-4D
Kintaro KTO-20*
Lancelot LNC25-01
Bombardier BMB-12D
Exterminator EXT-4D
Excalibur EXC-B2
Guillotine GLT-3N^
Shootist ST-8A
Black Knight BL-6-KNT
Flashman FLS-8K
Thug THG-11E
Crockett CRK-5003-1
Rampage RMP-5G
Shogun SHG-2F^
Emperor EMP-6A
Highlander HGN-732
Nightstar NSR-9J
Devastator DVS-2
Mackie MSK-9H
Pillager PLG-3Z
Thunder Hawk TDK-7X

‘Mechs included in TRO:3039 not present in TRO: Succession Wars
HNT-151 Hornet
MON-67 Mongoose
WVE-6N Wyvern
CHP-2N Champion
DCMS-MX90-D Daboku

THE UNSEEN*
STG-3R Stinger
WSP-1A Wasp
VLK-QA Valkyrie
PXH-1 Phoenix Hawk
OSR-2C Ostroc
OTL-4D Ostsol
RFL-3N Rifleman
CRD-3R Crusader
ARC-2R Archer
WHM-6R Warhammer
MAD-3R Marauder
LGB-0W Longbow
MAD-4A Marauder II

SCP-1N Scorpion**
GOL-1H Goliath**
*these were the original 'Mechs used in the game from 1984-1996, based on Macross art. After an unfavorable court ruling in the mid 90s, FASA (and any subsequent holder of the BattleTech license) has been forbidden from using the images of these 'Mechs in any official capacity. These units and are referred to as the unseen. Recently, Catalyst opted to introduce new artwork for these designs and is being rolled out in a number of new products including Combat Manual: Mercenaries and The First Succession War. These units with their new artwork have been dubbed 'Classics' by many members of the community. Some include the Locust, Griffin, Shadow Hawk, Wolverine, and BattleMaster included in the GoAC box
**no longer considered unseen but have not been given new art. TRO: Succession Wars also seems to have intentionally avoided quad-legged ‘Mechs

To recap - Unseen: Old art, unusable in official products. Classics: New art (changed slightly to avoid copyright entanglement), usable in new products.

‘Mechs included in TRO:3050 not present in TRO: Succession Wars
INNER SPHERE
Wolf Trap
Axman
Caesar
Katana (Kurita Crockett Variant)
Mauler
Annihilator
Imp

CLAN
Fire Moth (Dasher)
Mist Lynx (Koshi)
Kit Fox (Uller)
Adder (Puma)
Viper (Dragonfly)
Ice Ferret (Fenris)
Nova (Black Hawk)
Stormcrow (Ryoken)
Mad Dog (Vulture)
Hellbringer (Loki)
Summoner (Thor)
Timber Wolf (Mad Cat)
Gargoyle (Man O' War)
Warhawk (Masakari)
Executioner (Gladiator)
Dire Wolf (Daishi)

GETTING TO KNOW YOUR ESTRANGED FAMILY: ORIGINS OF KERENSKY’s CLANS
In my extraordinarily short summary above, I mentioned that after the Amaris Civil War of the 2760s and 70s, Alexandr Kerensky chose self-imposed exile from the Inner Sphere rather than allow his army to be cannibalized and chewed up by the House Lords. The descendants of those exiles returned with a vengeance in 3049 as the Clans. How did the SLDF-in-exile transform into the militant tsunami bent on total conquest?

These two volumes briefly cover the arrival the SLDF in their new home, the brutal civil war and formation of a nascent Clan society, and the rise of hyper-advanced technology surpassing anything produced by the Star League.

PURCHASING GUIDE: LET’S SHOOT SOMETHING
Right. This is a war game, after all.

SUCCESSION WARS-ERA TURNING POINTS
Whether you use the Chaos Campaign rules from the free pdf or Campaign Operations, you can start playing out your own modest custom campaigns within the late Succession Wars era (i.e. the GoAC box rules are all you need). Catalyst has published four such scenarios:

What you need: GoAC box, Chaos Campaign Rules, appropriate record sheets. In scenarios that call for vehicles or infantry, Total Warfare will be required if you plan not to substitute these units.

Historical Turning Points: Mallory’s World: Decide the fate of First Prince Ian Davion in this highly consequential campaign
Historical Turning Points: Galtor: Hanse Davion sets a trap for Kurita forces by luring them with the irresistible draw of unearthed Star League technology. But what happens when the lie turns out to be true?
Historical Turing Points: Misery: The Inner Sphere’s most dangerous and respected mercenary force battles House Kurita in an epic honor duel.
Operational Turning Points: Death to Mercenaries: The Dragon was not content to let the Dragoons rest in the aftermath of Misery. Recreate battles across four planets as Wolf’s Dragoons fight for their survival.

STARTERBOOK: SWORD AND DRAGON

What you need: GoAC Box

Two famous independent combat commands battle along the Davion-Kurita border on the cusp of the Clan Invasion. This volume gives players a taste of prototype equipment that would become common in the Clan Invasion. It also provides a framework for upgrading stock units with cutting-edge prototypes. Rules for fighting to the death hand to hand with common tools not included.

CAMPAIGNS IN OTHER ERAS

What you need: GoAC Box, BattleMech Manual and/or Total Warfare, record sheets for units from TRO: Sucession Wars, TRO: 3050 Upgrade, and TRO: 3039 if you plan to use vehicles

The easiest way to design and play campaigns in the Star League era (ca. 2750) and early Clan Invasion (ca. 3050-52) is to pick up the corresponding Era Reports. Each contains a complete framework for designing and playing interconnected scenarios within the given timeframes.

RESOURCES AND FREEBIES
Chaos Campaign: I have mentioned the Chaos Campaign several times. You can get the barebones version for free here.

Master Unit List: A total resource for virtually every canon BattleTech including faction availability by era. Check it out here

MegaMek: An unofficial computerized version of BattleTech you can play against other people all over the world or against a bot. It implements the vast majority of game rules, including advanced options and a plethora of unofficial rules. Make sure your Java installation is up to date.

MegaMekLab: An editor that allows you to design your own custom units and print record sheets for virtually all known BattleTech units. Find the newest versions of the MegaMek suite of programs here

Mordel.net: Need full stats for a ‘Mech? Want a PDF of the record sheet? I don’t use it personally, but it’s a super high-quality effort that deserves a look http://mordel.net/tro.php?a=v&fltr=ff.Source~Not%20Equals~Custom%20Mordel.Net%20Units

Building, Fire, and Smoke Counters: Cutout counters for adding depth to your games. https://bg.battletech.com/download/BattleForce_Tokens_Misc.pdf?x64300

Xotl’s Random Force Tables: Among the finest, best researched fan-created tables produced, these random tables will help build faction-flavored forces for the first half of the 31st century.
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

CLOSING THOUGHTS
I hope this helps. Suggestions for improving this document are always welcome. There is a lot to explore in this crazy universe. The pool is really deep if you want to dive that far. The key is to take on only what you're comfortable with and have fun.

---------------------
Change Log
11 Feb 2015 - Initial posting / addition of Star League products
12 Feb 2015 - Implemented Frabby's editorial suggestions
15 Feb 2015 - Added table of contents and product descriptions
06 Jul 2016 - New core rulebooks added, Touring the Stars description.
24 Aug 2017 - fixed broken image links from old battlecorps site; revision to account for BMM soon
04 May 2018 – Total teardown to accommodate the new Game of Armored Combat Box
« Last Edit: 04 May 2018, 10:08:38 by Sartris »

Ithandir

• Recruit
    • My Figure and Model Painting Site
Thanks Sartris for taking the time to write this up. As a new player this is extremely helpful.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Very nice!
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Hythos

• The Embiggened Man
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
ALSO!  Get friends involved!
Register at http://www.catalystdemos.com/Players/Search.asp
and spread the word! :)
Agent 722
Salt Lake City / Utah
Have 'Mech, will travel.

Frabby

• Captain
Excellent introduction document!  O0
I have a few editorial suggestions that I will PM you later when I have more time. It's minor stuff really.
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin

pheonixstorm

• Major
What no Jihad? Well.. it IS the red headed stepchild no one wants to admit to  }:)

Neko_Bijin

• Lieutenant
  • Alpha Strike naïf
I assume that FBI crawlerbot have sifted every byte of data on my computer for my 10 years of typing "Jihad" into message boards.  I'll bet there's even a Post-it note on a manilla file somewhere admonishing new hires to ignore the BattleTech crowd while dowsing for home-grown threats.
"Lord Kurita is merciful.  You will be spared the humiliation of a trial.  Instead, you are invited to dine with your sainted ancestors.  You don't follow?  Let me rephrase.  I am about to run you through with my sword.  Now you get the picture?  Good."

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Painted by Mastergunz
What no Jihad? Well.. it IS the red headed stepchild no one wants to admit to  }:)

His goal was to expand from the Intro Box Set, set in the Succession Wars.  The Jihad does not come directly from the Succession Wars. 
Not only do I admit to the Jihad, I also like redheaded children and stepchildren.  I am one and wouldn't mind being the other.

Nevermind :).  After Sartis's post I see what was meant.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2015, 12:10:53 by nckestrel »
Master Unit List website - where to find units, what factions use them, what's their BV?
http://www.masterunitlist.info
3025-3050 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info and Quirk lists.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
His goal was to expand from the Intro Box Set, set in the Succession Wars.  The Jihad does not come directly from the Succession Wars. 
Not only do I admit to the Jihad, I also like redheaded children and stepchildren.  I am one and wouldn't mind being the other.

Indeed so. I mostly stopped at 3052-53 because of the large-scale influx of units in TRO 3055/58/60. I'm a big fan of the Jihad era, especially the later publications like Jihad Secrets, Final Reckoning, and The Wars of Reaving

Edit: Ha. I see what phoenixstorm was getting at. I had inadvertently left the Jihad out of the eras list at the beginning of the document. Whoops!
« Last Edit: 12 February 2015, 11:53:05 by Sartris »

jackpot4

• Warrant Officer
I assume that FBI crawlerbot have sifted every byte of data on my computer for my 10 years of typing "Jihad" into message boards.  I'll bet there's even a Post-it note on a manilla file somewhere admonishing new hires to ignore the BattleTech crowd while dowsing for home-grown threats.

LOL I had never thought about that.
Truth is treason in an empire of lies.

Be the Light in the darkness

elf25s

• Captain
LOL I had never thought about that.
i really needed that chuckle....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
added product series descriptions.

Archer_Wirth

• Master Sergeant
Cap. Archer Wirth
5th Whiskey Rangers
Mercenary Wizards

JadeHellbringer

• Нет, ты невидим!!!
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • I Am Jade Falcon, And So Can You

I admit, working for a federal agency a few years ago and accidentally leaving "Dawn of the Jihad" on my desk one day resulted in a very pointed look from my boss.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."

+Crow T. Robot+

Nerroth

• Captain
  • Victoria pro Res publica!
If it's not too late to offer suggestions for the opening post, I might add that it may be worth adding in more data on the Star League-era Historical volumes than is currently listed.

Historical Reunification War and the two Historical: Liberation of Terra books are key to exploring the rise and fall of the Star League respectively, and I'd personally sooner recommend those three ahead of, say, Era Report: 2750.

Also, I was under the impression that FM:SLDF was set in 2765 (to match the various PDF-only Field Reports), rather than 2750.

On a side note, I wonder if it might also be worth mentioning the upcoming First Succession War book, or even the Empires Aflame PDF. The former will hopefully pick up where Historical: Liberation of Terra II left off, and show what the Exiles in Historical: Operation KLONDIKE were leaving behind. While the latter opens a window on an alternate timeline in which the course of events following the collapse of the Star League flowed in a very different direction...
« Last Edit: 05 April 2016, 16:31:44 by Nerroth »

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
If it's not too late to offer suggestions for the opening post, I might add that it may be worth adding in more data on the Star League-era Historical volumes than is currently listed.

it's not too late, no. i had originally thought about including LoT I & II but decided against it because i was trying to give new player a basic intro to the Star League era, which ER 2750 provides. Also, truth be told, I hadn't read either of the Liberation of Terra volumes when I originally made this post

Also, I was under the impression that FM:SLDF was set in 2765 (to match the various PDF-only Field Reports), rather than 2750.

Still part of the star league era, and an overview of Man's greatest assembled army.

On a side note, I wonder if it might also be worth mentioning the upcoming First Succession War book, or even the Empires Aflame PDF. The former will hopefully pick up where Historical: Liberation of Terra II left off, and show what the Exiles in Historical: Operation KLONDIKE were leaving behind. While the latter opens a window on an alternate timeline in which the course of events following the collapse of the Star League flowed in a very different direction...

I'll let people find their way down their own counter-factual rabbit holes.

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
i've done a total teardown of the original post and restructured it to account for the forthcoming Game of Armored Combat Box and the new BMM/TRO: Succession Wars paradigm. Any suggestions or fixes are welcome.

Empyrus

• Major
Nice introduction to BT overall.

Do check for "GAoC" though, you put that instead of "GoAC" at some points, like the Turning Points section. Confused me greatly ;D

While you've shied away from from post-Clan Invasion content, i'd make notes of the eras in general sense at least (eg Jihad: you get to fight with or against cybernetic pseudo-super villains), as they do offer different things from pre-Clan Invasion eras, and also note that they work fine with just BMM ruleset for most part.
Also i'd make note of the Dark Age specifically, highlighting its nature as the era were the story is on-going, and how it is adaptation of MWDA, should there be fans of that who'd like to relieve the time in different way.

For Europeans, i'd add note of that fantasywelt.de sells IWM minis here (lower shipping costs), and Ral Partha Europe is another option.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
I am wondering where the link to your youtube instructional video is . . . did I miss it?
Colt Ward

Beware the vengeance of a patient man.

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
must be someone else. i've never made anything for youtube.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
Sorry, sort of joking . . . you have done a wonderful job, I just wonder about getting someone to do your write up as a promo video.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
the very last thing BattleTech's brand image needs is my ugly mushmouth pushing their product on youtube  :))

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Sorry to be a Party Pooper, but the AS Lance Packs have apparently been OOP for a few years now, and the remaining stocks are about depleted.  I just heard that myself a couple of weeks ago.   :-\

STILL an Excellent way to build up a Force though, if you can lay hands on them!   :thumbsup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object.

Mini Mule Avatar by Steve Ronin! (BTU)

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

[spoiler]Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here![/spoiler]

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Sorry to be a Party Pooper, but the AS Lance Packs have apparently been OOP for a few years now, and the remaining stocks are about depleted.  I just heard that myself a couple of weeks ago.

I just checked eBay, and all the Alpha Strike Lance Packs are still available, most for as little as $8. A couple are at retail+shipping. They may be OOP, but there are plenty for sale.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Sartris

• Major
  • Here for the Jokes
I just checked eBay, and all the Alpha Strike Lance Packs are still available, most for as little as $8. A couple are at retail+shipping. They may be OOP, but there are plenty for sale.

That’s why I kept them on the list, yeah

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Painted by Mastergunz
99% of BattleTech products get one “print”.  Ie. everything is “out of print” as soon as it’s printed. The core rule books are the major exception (and intro box set).
That’s far different from “out of stock”, which varies depends on who’s stocking and what they’ve ordered.
For the core rule books, discussions of when/how to reprint start when their main warehouse for their primary distributor runs out. That’s the more “colloquial” definition of “out of print”. A game store asks for a book, the distributor doesn’t have any to send them. Has nothing to do with when it was actually printed.
At least, that’s my limited understanding of BattleTecj printings.
Master Unit List website - where to find units, what factions use them, what's their BV?
http://www.masterunitlist.info
3025-3050 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info and Quirk lists.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Empyrus

• Major
TROs apparently also get multiple printings, or used to, anyway.

Mummelpuffin

• Recruit
This is awesome.  Now, if only anyone I knew was at all interested in playing tabletop Battletech over just playing video games.  I got one of the out of print boxed sets and I've only really used it once.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Gott Mit Uns
Well, you can always practice by MegaMek and play people all over the world- lol if they tell you where they are from!  It also exposes you to a lot of play styles and ideas.
Colt Ward

garhkal

• Major
Nice work, compiling all this info, inc the pics for the books/boxed sets!  Cudos! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.