Author Topic: Repairs, Maintenance, and Time of War Tool Kits  (Read 1878 times)

Armitage72

• Sergeant
Repairs, Maintenance, and Time of War Tool Kits
« on: 25 March 2015, 06:13:10 »
In Strategic Operations, repairs and maintenance are based on the Technician skill of your tech teams.
In A Time of War, there are expensive advanced tool kits that provide bonuses to the various technician skills, two of which can be used at the same time.

Assuming that you're playing "Accountech" and you spend the money to equip all of your tech teams with full tools appropriate to their unit:

Deluxe Toolkit, +1 all Technician skills
Cutting/Joining Kit, +1 Technician/Mechanics
Electronic Repair Kit, +1 Technician/Electronics
Fission/Fusion Repair Kit, +1 Technician/Nuclear
Myomer/Actuator Repair Kit, +1 Technician/Myomer
Vehicle Repair Kit, +1 Technician/Mechanics
Aerospace Repair Kit, +1 Technician/Aeronautics and Technician/Jets
Weapon Repair Kit, +1 Technician/Weapons

Would you allow the resulting bonus to be applied to all rolls, or would you consider this part of gaining the "Maintenance Facility" bonus, since "any tool needed" is part of the description of that modifier?   

Acolyte

• Lieutenant
Re: Repairs, Maintenance, and Time of War Tool Kits
« Reply #1 on: 25 March 2015, 20:12:57 »
I'd go maintenance facility. Even if you didn't, a tech can only use 2 kits at once.

- Shane
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion
It is by the coffee that my thoughts acquire speed
My teeth acquire stains
The stains become a warning
It is by caffeine alone that I set my mind in motion.

theagent

• Master Sergeant
Re: Repairs, Maintenance, and Time of War Tool Kits
« Reply #2 on: 12 April 2015, 11:14:47 »
The kits, I believe, are the new versions of the ones that were part of the Mechwarriors 1st edition game.  Mostly they've been increased in weight, but are pretty similar (only difference was that the cutting/joining kit was considered 2 separate kits).  The biggest in-game difference was that, instead of providing bonuses, there was a chart that showed what kits were required based on the type of repair (ie. repairing engine shielding used a different set of 3-4 kits vs. actuator repairs)...& if you didn't have all of the kits, it recommended that the repair job get the penalty for not having the "right" tools.

Now, yeah, I would say that a maintenance facility has all of the kits, so it's bonus takes the place of any kit bonuses.  The kits are useful more in field repair situations, where you don't have the full maintenance facility but you had time to bring more than just a basic or deluxe toolkit.

Register