Author Topic: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4  (Read 222859 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: Campaign Rules: Against the Bot Thread #4
« Reply #510 on: 13 April 2016, 15:35:26 »
Yeah I start at with only a lance for AtB sometimes with 1 extra mech and 2 extra pilots. So 5 mechs, 6 pilots, 2 techs, 12 astech, and the CO as the initial admin until I can hire another usually after the first contract. Contracts are raid only until I hit company size then I start taking on garrison missions.

AtB needs bugfixes first then worry about adding all the elements missing from 2.31

Zellbringen

• Corporal
« Reply #511 on: 13 April 2016, 15:55:37 »
The "save presets" for the campaign options doesn't save your custom ranks but, its easy enough just to make and save a template campaign file.

If you go the universe folder in Data, there is an XML for ranks.  I just overwrite the Custom or Star League ranks to fit my Merc campaign so I don't have to add the ranks or the pay multiplier for new campaigns.

jh316

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #512 on: 13 April 2016, 16:18:30 »
Man, you know your planetary assault is going poorly when you're excited about salvaging a pair of shadow hawks.

I've got some Mercenary's Star stuff going down here.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 16:20:18 by jh316 »

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #513 on: 13 April 2016, 16:39:17 »
Man, you know your planetary assault is going poorly when you're excited about salvaging a pair of shadow hawks.

I've got some Mercenary's Star stuff going down here.

+1 for truth!

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #514 on: 13 April 2016, 17:15:49 »
If you go the universe folder in Data, there is an XML for ranks.  I just overwrite the Custom or Star League ranks to fit my Merc campaign so I don't have to add the ranks or the pay multiplier for new campaigns.

Why didnt I think of that.  I could prob go in and just add in my own set instead of it being labeled as custom, thanks.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #515 on: 13 April 2016, 18:29:08 »
Yeah, I added tech ranks in my campaigns. Thinking of doing some ranks for tankers/infantry but haven't decided yet.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #516 on: 13 April 2016, 20:05:06 »

Ok problem....I made an 18th rank system but, it will not show up in my current or a new campaign under the campaign options.  Is HQ only allowed to have a max of 17 ranks???????

<rankSystem>
            <!-- US Military -->
            <system>18</system>
            <rank>
               <rankNames>Recruit,-,-,-,-,-</rankNames>
               <officer>false</officer>
               <payMultiplier>1.0</payMultiplier>
            </rank> <!-- E0 "None" -->

[more of the same]

<rank>
               <rankNames>-,-,-,-,-,-</rankNames>
               <officer>true</officer>
               <payMultiplier>1.0</payMultiplier>
            </rank> <!-- O20 -->
   </rankSystem>
</rankSystems>

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #517 on: 13 April 2016, 20:06:05 »
saving over a pre-existing set does work.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2016, 20:07:47 by BLOODWOLF »

Akjosch

• Sergeant
« Reply #518 on: 14 April 2016, 02:42:57 »
So the consensus seems to be that nobody even uses the AtB company creation rules (and consequently, the whole first sheet can be removed). Which do you guys use then? Something based on the old FM: Mercenaries or the IO Beta "Creating a Force" PDF?
Unofficial, automated daily builds of MegaMek, MegaMekLab and MekHQ: http://mm.akjosch.de/

Random

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #519 on: 14 April 2016, 04:13:51 »
On the contrary.  I have used the creation rules for all four of the campaigns I'm running.

Kutagh

• Recruit
« Reply #520 on: 14 April 2016, 06:00:43 »
It depends on what I want to start with. The company creation rules are a good guideline for newbies and if I want a company-sized force, I do use it as a guideline.

Zellbringen

• Corporal
« Reply #521 on: 14 April 2016, 07:51:01 »
Ok problem....I made an 18th rank system but, it will not show up in my current or a new campaign under the campaign options.  Is HQ only allowed to have a max of 17 ranks???????

Yeah sorry, forgot to mention you can't add a rank system, you can only edit the other ones.  I personally edit the custom one. 

So the consensus seems to be that nobody even uses the AtB company creation rules (and consequently, the whole first sheet can be removed). Which do you guys use then? Something based on the old FM: Mercenaries or the IO Beta "Creating a Force" PDF?

I use the first page any time I build a Merc from scratch.  Most of the time though I start a new game as a famous merc company.  Playing as Snord's Irregulars, the Gray Death Legion or the Black Widow company is fun as hell.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #522 on: 14 April 2016, 08:10:22 »
I was USMC so, I base my off unit a Marine infantry unit but, obviously has to be modified for Battletech since pilots go through 2-3 years of training to become a pilot in a House unit for example.

Lance 4 units

Commander: Staff Sergeant-Gunnery Sergeant(admin HR) / 2nd Lieutenant - 1st Lieutenant(admin Command)
+ three Corporal - Sergeants

Company 3 lances + HQ lance(below)

Commander: Captain - Major(admin command)
Executive Officer: 1st Lieutenant (senior)(admin logistics)
Senior SNCO: 1st Sergeant(admin HR)
Ops Chief: Gunnery Sergeant - Master Sergeant(admin logistics)
Company WO: Warrant Officer - Chief Warrant Officer 2(admin command)

Battalion 3-5 companies + HQ lance(below)

Commander: Lieutenant Colonel - Colonel(admin command)
Executive Officer: Major(admin logistics)
Senior SNCO: Sergeant Major(admin HR)
Ops Chief: Master Gunnery Sergeant(admin logistics)
BN WO: CWO2 - CWO3(admin command)

1 tech / mech (use bring all astech teams to full strength) Enlisted
1 doctor(admin HR) / lance (medics at full strength) Officer
1 admin transport / lance (w/scrounge & orders the parts) Officer
« Last Edit: 14 April 2016, 08:25:42 by BLOODWOLF »

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #523 on: 14 April 2016, 10:28:51 »
For me, the unit creation rules are a guideline, and I extrapolate heavily from there.  While I MAY run a company-sized unit, and MAY use the creation rules largely intact, it's certainly not the norm.

For example, I started one unit as a combined arms lance: LCT-V1, STG-3R, J. Edgar, and Galleon, with a Veteran CO and vehicle commander, the rest Regular, and a Green dispossessed MechWarrior and spare driver and gunner.  One 'Mech tech was Regular, the rest of the support crew was all Green.  Salvaging an old pair of Shadow Hawks, which the one poster derisively considers irrelevant, would have more than doubled the unit's effective strength.

Another unit started out with one 'Mech company, one vehicle company, a company of infantry, and an aero lance.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #524 on: 14 April 2016, 10:41:10 »
I know its a stupid question but Im not following CBT since the last Jihad book. Whats the oficial current unit creation rules? IO or FMMercs or other?
Star Wars ST and Star Trek current shows are crap.

jh316

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #525 on: 14 April 2016, 10:51:52 »
Still FM:M(r). Or Total Chaos, if you want to go with that system. But you can look at the old IO beta rules for force creation. It wasn't finished since it didn't include everything needed for contracts and actually running the unit, but for creating one it worked fine. Those rules are getting pushed out in campaign operations, due out who knows how far in the future.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #526 on: 14 April 2016, 10:53:44 »
Still FM:M(r). Or Total Chaos, if you want to go with that system.

Still!? Wasnt supposed IO have updated rules for this?
« Last Edit: 14 April 2016, 10:55:32 by Kentares »

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #527 on: 14 April 2016, 11:54:48 »
Still!? Wasnt supposed IO have updated rules for this?

It was but IO got too big! Way too many pages. So they decided to do a separate book, Campaign Operations.

Kentares

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #528 on: 14 April 2016, 12:24:41 »
It was but IO got too big! Way too many pages. So they decided to do a separate book, Campaign Operations.

Oh... ok. When is expected for that to be released?

Edit = Or youre talking about Campaign Companion in the coming releases page...?
« Last Edit: 14 April 2016, 12:28:14 by Kentares »

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #529 on: 14 April 2016, 12:28:29 »
Oh... ok. When is expected for that to be released?

CGL doesn't give release dates till they have an in the warehouse ready to go date.  Best anyone can say is its on the Coming Releases page which means it will happen.

http://bg.battletech.com/books/upcoming-releases/

MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Mukaikubo

• Corporal
« Reply #530 on: 15 April 2016, 08:41:31 »
I have used, in the past:

-The ATB company creation rules
-The IO Beta force creation rules
-FM:Mercenaries (revised)
-FM:Mercenaries Supplemental- the one with the point buy (it made it easy to make a big force)
-The OLD AtB company creation rules from way back in the day

I like 'em all for different purposes.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #531 on: 17 April 2016, 15:52:35 »
Yeah sorry, forgot to mention you can't add a rank system, you can only edit the other ones.  I personally edit the custom one.

So I did this editing the custom rank file and had set my staff NCOs and warrant officers to count as officer=true as well but, does not count towards the unit rating for the command section.  Im guessing the points for tactics and all those skills under command is trained to O1-..... only?  Why not have it count for any ranks where officer=true?

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #532 on: 17 April 2016, 16:25:41 »
In AtB the only Leadership skills are = the 1 Commanding Officer.

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #533 on: 17 April 2016, 17:09:52 »
:\ And I guess thats in a sourcebook as well that states that?  IMO I would like it to count all the officers, a unit with more senior officers and staff NCOs would be better and have a better rating but, it's not real important.

PurpleDragon

• Captain
« Reply #534 on: 17 April 2016, 20:48:19 »
:\ And I guess thats in a sourcebook as well that states that?  IMO I would like it to count all the officers, a unit with more senior officers and staff NCOs would be better and have a better rating but, it's not real important.

I actually second this for purposes of what can be brought to the field.  That would then represent the ability to delegate authority and allow lower ranked personnel to take the initiative in the absense of the commander. 
give a man a fire, keep him warm for a night. 
Set him on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

The secret to winning the land/air battle is that you must always remain rigidly flexible.

I like tabletop more anyway, computer games are for nerds!  -  Knallogfall

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #535 on: 18 April 2016, 05:41:08 »
Looking into making some of my own personal RATs for AtB. Thinking of going off the MUL and adding a bit of variety. I want to start around 3039 or 3050. When a new mech, vehicle, etc. is introduced that year, I will add it to the A class unit's RAT with a small chance to roll it. Each year the chance of rolling that mech will go up on that RAT. After so many years, was thinking (3-4?), it gets added to B rated RATs. Doing this till after so many it ends up on the F rated RATs. Also after so many years and new designs come in I want to phase out older models.

I think on the RATs a number is that many more times likely to roll a unit. Correct me if I am wrong, but a 2 would be 2 times more likely to show up than a 1? Like in the following the Centurion would be rolled 2 times more often than the Hunchback Ex. Hunchback,1Centurion,2

A rated unit
Other Factions RAT,1
New model year,1
1 year old,2
2 years old,3
3 years old,4...

So anyway. How many years should I wait before moving it to a lower rated unit RAT? Should I limit the number of units on each RAT? How long before I start removing Intro designs from A,B,C? Going to leave a chance D & F to get Intro tech. Not too concerned for actual canon, it's more, "Get the toys out there and see them used either by me or against me". Bit of work. One RAT, per type, weight, faction, and year. So Major IS Powers for now.

If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

scJazz

• Captain
« Reply #536 on: 18 April 2016, 07:58:08 »
Yes, 2 equals twice the chance of 1. Just as 4 equals twice the chance of 2.

The question of when to move them around is tricky. Some mech designs are still built almost by hand in 3039. Some are cranked out in near perfect automated factories (Hesperus). If you aren't worried about Canon then I'd say every 3 years would work for actually being able to see the effect of units becoming more common and then phasing out during play.

Have you tried Neoancient's RATs. They work pretty well for me.

Zellbringen

• Corporal
« Reply #537 on: 18 April 2016, 10:12:23 »

If you are using the FM:Merc(rev) option for unit rating.  In the section that calculates unit rating it states to just use the commander's skills.  I'm haven't read the IO unit rules yet so I don't know if they change the rating.

Stormforge

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #538 on: 18 April 2016, 23:01:16 »
Yes, 2 equals twice the chance of 1. Just as 4 equals twice the chance of 2.

The question of when to move them around is tricky. Some mech designs are still built almost by hand in 3039. Some are cranked out in near perfect automated factories (Hesperus). If you aren't worried about Canon then I'd say every 3 years would work for actually being able to see the effect of units becoming more common and then phasing out during play.

Have you tried Neoancient's RATs. They work pretty well for me.

I normally use both Xotl's and Neoancient's RATs. Both work very well. Neoacient's RATs are the reason I was thinking of building my own. Thing I am seeing though is that there is a 5-7 year gap after 3050 between each subsequent RAT. Which means that my A+ House or Merc unit cannot access things like IS Standard Battle Armor or other new mechs/vehicles until the Next TRO year instead of intro year. The other thing is that they do not cover new units introduced after 3067. The next RAT is not until 3085, after the Jihad. Though there are plenty of WOB tables for that period. Every year is going to be a bit of work. I expect to be doing a lot of copy pasting to build each subsequent RAT. Mostly doing just the 5 Houses and Merc General.

Going to look at the current published RATs also and see what is incomplete/missing from those. Have most of the books and the 2d6 tables seem pretty easy to convert.

Edit: Should I get to a unit that is sold to both Allies and Mercs/Periphery/General. When the unit is added to B rated unit list make for sale to Allies? C list to sell to Mercs/Periphery/General?
« Last Edit: 18 April 2016, 23:47:40 by Stormforge »
If the enemy is in range most likely so are you.

gloowa

• Recruit
« Reply #539 on: 19 April 2016, 01:19:13 »
Can i ask for reupload of the rules somewhere? The link in the OP gives me 404, as do links in other threads (to prev versions)...