Author Topic: The Classic BattleTech Forum Mercenary Regiment  (Read 136785 times)

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
Re: The Classic BattleTech Forum Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #240 on: 17 September 2015, 20:14:24 »
Would be nice to have the Warhammers and Marauders in the same lances. Those lances would be really powerful direct fire groups that could do some real damage in a fight.

Just an option.

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #241 on: 17 September 2015, 21:16:42 »
Thought might as well take the chance to post up a little background on my original character as well as submit a new one.

Zhao 'Blackpanzer' Zi Long hails from the Periphery state of Taurian Concordat. Not the best of 'Mech pilot, it is fortunate that Zhao has rather impressive gunnery skills - something which enemies facing the PPCs on his Awesome frequently found to their own painful (if not fatal) expense. His unusual callsign was given to him by comrades who noticed that the man usually wades straight into battle, trusting his own thick armour to outlast those of his enemies, and that his battery of PPCs could take out his foes before they did to him.
"His a bloody tank!"
"And he's blackened..."

Li 'Maniac' Kui, rumoured to be a former member of Shen-Se Tian pilots a HCT-5S Hatchetman. Despite having an average gunnery skills (on a good  and lucky day) Li is an expert pilot - which is rather fortunately given that he needs all the piloting skills he's got to use his hatchet armed machine to deadly effect.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #242 on: 17 September 2015, 21:49:21 »

and give that I like to run it hot, that could happen

He's not kidding folks.  I've seen him run a "hammer so hot mechs four hexes away had to make heat shut-down rolls. :o

Seriously, while at most times, the dice gods are rather fickle, when Doc is rolling to avoid a heat shut-down, they just smile and shower blessings.

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #243 on: 17 September 2015, 21:55:48 »
THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT:  We will end our submissions phase at Midnight (Central, USA) on Friday, September 25.  That is a week from tomorrow--so get in any submissions before then.  After that, I will sit down and figure our some structure (and add the support/transport elements) and then we will hold elections for the officers.

MA

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
  • Gotta do what a urbie gotta do!
« Reply #244 on: 18 September 2015, 09:41:59 »
THREAD ANNOUNCEMENT:  We will end our submissions phase at Midnight (Central, USA) on Friday, September 25.  That is a week from tomorrow--so get in any submissions before then.  After that, I will sit down and figure our some structure (and add the support/transport elements) and then we will hold elections for the officers.

MA

I vote pedro for KP duty!
"History is written by the victors, the defeated live it"

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #245 on: 18 September 2015, 12:26:37 »
SPR-4F Spector piloted by MechWarrior Sasha Rostov

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #246 on: 18 September 2015, 18:13:01 »
He's not kidding folks.  I've seen him run a "hammer so hot mechs four hexes away had to make heat shut-down rolls. :o

Seriously, while at most times, the dice gods are rather fickle, when Doc is rolling to avoid a heat shut-down, they just smile and shower blessings.
Are you refering to that poor warhammer that was at 27 on the heat scale??? >:D  There was great popcorn..  Jiffypop tends to tell you when it hot enough.

Just because my mech was hidding a few other on the board in my heat cloud.  Those Damm clanners had no idea what I had and I seem to remember that a certain light mech pilot lived to fight another day because they turned on me in fear, instead of taking the easy killer kills and spread the love around. 8)  All good you got away with the intel needed, even if well I didn't.
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #247 on: 18 September 2015, 19:37:25 »
I vote pedro for KP duty!

Johannes Mayer doesn't play well with others.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Tiki Monkey

• Private
« Reply #248 on: 18 September 2015, 22:49:08 »
Gavin Crowther

Formerly a career soldier in the Marik Militia.

FFL-4A  Firefly
or
DV-6M Dervish

master arminas  feel free to pick whichever Mech best fits your TO&E.
It doesn't take long for men to make a decision. It's making a decision look smart that takes the time.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #249 on: 19 September 2015, 06:54:42 »
Eugene Marcs grew up on stories of celebrated merc units like the Kell Hounds and Gray Death Legion. But rather than simply sign up with one, he opted to be an independent contractor when his tour with the LAAF was done.

Setting off for the Periphery in a Crab he captured off of Kuritan raiders, he soon found himself in the back end of the Outworlds Alliance facing down pirates. He got good salvage, and the end of his contract saw him return to the Inner Sphere in a Black Knight that had been upgraded to Royal Standard.

Current mech:BL-6b-KNT

Kwic

• Sergeant
« Reply #250 on: 20 September 2015, 19:45:56 »
a tall well dressed statesman, dark hair and close cropped goatee abundantly streaked with more grey than black, led another smartly dressed swarthy man of middle years, and an exceptionally sharply, yet all business, fiery red headed lady.  The trio arrive in the center of the hanger taking all the chaotic activity with an appraiser's eye.

The statesman turns to the red head, "Ms Wells, these fine troopers are going to be quite surly if they aren't set up with some regular meals and appropriate entertainment.  See to the logistics and supply needs of this rapidly expanding army before they start breaking into the military rations squirrelled away in some dark corner of this hanger."

Then facing the other man, "Mr Ali, from the transport manifest, and the utter lack of organizational vessel crew, I see a desperate need of transportation.  Contact the local guilds to see if any other ships are available.  I believe Captain Evie Dunbar of the "Almost There", Captain John Sheridan of the "Crimson Star", Captain Milo Miter of the "Scrapyard", and Captain John Doe of the "Freshly Printed Registration" might be available."

"Myself, I will introduce our Logistics and Administration services to whoever turns out to be running this place.  With a proper TO&E, I can actually see about getting this unit a decent contract selection to choose from.."

With that Ali, Dunn and Wells start looking after the background success of the unit....

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
« Reply #251 on: 20 September 2015, 19:54:08 »
Wait we weren't post to eat the MRES yet cause what the cook's cooking looks like the spawn of the flying spaghetti  monter.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #252 on: 20 September 2015, 20:42:40 »
A little back-story and character profile on my two characters.  Both already posted, this is just a little expansion.

#1:  Warclaw
     Mech of Choice: JR7-31P Rattlesnake
     Preferred assignment: Headhunting/Decapitation Strikes
     Cold-hearted bastard, Assassin in a mech, evil son-of-a-bitch, Ruthless mercenary, and sneaky bugger.  All these things and more he's been called.  He prefers to think of himself as efficient and precise.  He will not shrink from whatever it takes to accomplish his mission, and take out his target.  BUT, neither will he create destruction and death where it is not necessary.  For example, he might pass by a burning building, leaving the occupants to their fate, if taking the time to help would endanger the mission, and yet take care not to step on non-combatants (Cooks, mechanics, and such) while withdrawing in the chaos following an attack.  (The fact that he's most likely left multiple targeting beacons in the camp not withstanding.  If they are fools enough to waste the chance he's given them, so be it.)
     Known for appearing in places thought inaccessible, Warclaw has been known to travel for kilometers along the bottom of a lake, so as to avoid detection until he struck.
     Previous commanders found that while he can follow detailed orders, he is most effective when given an objective and allowed leeway in his methods of accomplishing it. 
     Somewhat of a loner by nature, Warclaw has never sought to lead others, reasoning that few could follow him on his missions, and even less would want to.
     A pragmatic man, and realistic as to his likely eventual fate, he doesn't dwell very much on the future.  He knows that someday he's going to get caught and probably killed on one of his jobs, but until then, he reasons that every headhunting mission he pulls off, even if he's taken out in the process, means a major advantage for his side, at the cost of a single light mech and pilot at the most.

2: Gabriel Thorne, Knight-Errant of the Order of Randis.
     Mech of Choice: PX-3R Phoenix
     Preferred Assignment: Pirate Hunting
     If you took an idealized character profile from a tri-vid noble knight, you'd have Gabriel.  Honorable, honest, brave, daring, committed, and kind.  However, unlike many of the Tri-vid knights, Gabriel is nobody's fool, and while he is completely devoted to the Code of Randis, he also understands that the Code doesn't cover every situation, and in many cases is better used as a guideline to where  the boundaries of honor lie.
     Gabriel believes bone-deep in living his honor and code, not just giving lip service.  That being the case, he sees his greatest duty in placing himself between innocents/non-combatants and any that would harm them.  For that reason, he spends much of his time bouncing from unit to unit, one contract to the next, taking work wherever he feels he can do the most good (and spread the word of Randis).  He has spent much of recent history on an extended pirate hunting contract in the deep periphery, where his ancient mech is still potent enough to serve.  Back in the Inner Sphere, with the newer designs and technology coming onto the market, he has been relegated to rear area defense work, mostly guarding the medical units.

Shadow_Wraith

• Lieutenant
« Reply #253 on: 20 September 2015, 22:34:28 »
 :)  Okay, how about a second submission to transport the unit?  Feel free to use it MA.

Captain Kosaku A. Decatur, originally hailed from the Draconis Combine from a well to do family.  He learned to pilot VTOL’s in his youth and when he was of age he joined the DCMS to become an aerospace pilot.  Unfortunately, he didn’t have right connections to become a famed aerospace fighter pilot, so he was instead made to pilot shuttles for the DCA.  He had to work hard and prove himself to eventually piloting aerodyne class dropships.  When he finally reached the rank of Dai-i he found himself assigned on a training dropship as the commander of the vessel and also as an instructor.    He manage to do two more years with the DCA until he finally put in his retirement papers.  Once he got approved he hopped on the first civilian freighter that would take him and he set off for new adventure…. 

Somewhere along his travels with the DCA and his new civilian career, he manage to make contacts and eventually gather a rag tag group of spacers that would crew the dropship “Angel’s Gift.”  She is from all appearances a three hundred year old Fortress class dropship.  Rumors are that the ship is always in a state of being repaired and crew are always busy tinkering with its system.   Captain Decatur has not revealed the origins of where he got the dropship, but in order to ensure his dropships safety, Captain Decatur employs a platoon of infantry that specialize in zero-g operations and perimeter security.   

For the last several years, Captain Decatur and crew have run her as a civilian cargo ship plying the shipping routes between the Lyran Commonwealth and more independent worlds of the FWL.   The ship’s papers state that Angel’s Gift has been fully civilianized and transports just about anything if they can meet their fee. 
His recent cargo shipment has brought him to the planet where the CBT Forum Regiment is forming.  With no cargo, Captain Kosaku A. Decatur and his executive officer Lisa H. Hunter, offer their dropship’s services for a five year contract.   

MechRat

• Corporal
  • Knightmare's Evil Minion on OBT.com
    • OurBattleTech - A place for AU's to call home
« Reply #254 on: 21 September 2015, 14:18:05 »
Matt "MechRat" McKenzie reporting for duty.  O0

Piloting a GRF-3M Griffin recovered from battlefield salvage and lovingly restored to fighting trim. He gets his nickname from having grown up in the repair hangar in the mercenary unit in which his father was employed as a 'MechWarrior. With the recent decimation of that unit, he was able to make his way to Galatea to look for work. His technical skills at repairing 'Mechs combined with his piloting and gunnery experience will make him an asset to any unit.

He prefers to stay at long range and use the ER PPC and LRM20 to snipe at long range, using the jump jets to stay mobile.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #255 on: 21 September 2015, 19:01:59 »
A little back-story and character profile on my two characters.  Both already posted, this is just a little expansion.

#1:  Warclaw
     Mech of Choice: JR7-31P Rattlesnake
     Preferred assignment: Headhunting/Decapitation Strikes

Previous commanders found that while he can follow detailed orders, he is most effective when given an objective and allowed leeway in his methods of accomplishing it. 

leeway is that what you call it  8)
 and just remember he has a horrible habit of "expanding" the objective if he can pull it off
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #256 on: 21 September 2015, 19:45:09 »
 and just remember he has a horrible habit of "expanding" the objective if he can pull it off

And he's one of the front runners for getting killed off doing his job.

Warclaw

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #257 on: 21 September 2015, 20:05:19 »

What, just because I was told to knock out the communications array and ended up capturing the entire moon-base?

And he's one of the front runners for getting killed off doing his job.

That he is.  He's in a very high risk, high potential reward job and knows it.  So far he's done well...mainly by being a sneaky, ruthless bastard...but sooner or later, his luck IS going to run out.  But when it does, it's likely to be loud, brutal, and expensive as all hell for whoever does it.

Terrace

• Lieutenant
« Reply #258 on: 21 September 2015, 20:22:43 »
What, just because I was told to knock out the communications array and ended up capturing the entire moon-base?

That he is.  He's in a very high risk, high potential reward job and knows it.  So far he's done well...mainly by being a sneaky, ruthless bastard...but sooner or later, his luck IS going to run out.  But when it does, it's likely to be loud, brutal, and expensive as all hell for whoever does it.

Such as, while infiltrating a Clanner base, he's caught in the middle of an entire OmniMech Trinary by himself, so he blows up the hangar and other vital structures before the Clan Warriors shoot him to death?

That reminds me. Once the mercs realize just how advanced Clan technology is (and how good the techs must be to maintain that equipment), on their next raid on Clan-held territory they should declare a Trial of Possession for the techs attached to whatever Cluster they hit. The Warriors would probably shrug and hold to it if they lose, but the Great Houses would probably pay through the nose for salvaged Clan tech, and even more for people who know how to maintain it (and can teach their own techs). Those who don't sign up with us will probably be handed over to whichever Great House is paying our bills.

"Hi, we're authorized by the Federated Commonwealth to offer you a job at the New Avalon Institute of Science!"

master arminas

• Captain
« Reply #259 on: 21 September 2015, 21:50:42 »
We need ten more entries to finish out the Regiment.  Should we get them by next Friday (the 25th) we will have a Regimental Command Company (12 'Mechs) and two line Battalions (each with 40 'Mechs, divided into three Combat Companies of 12 each and a Command Lance).  Plus support and auxiliaries. 

MA

Koren-Gagin

• Sergeant
« Reply #260 on: 21 September 2015, 22:06:34 »
We need ten more entries to finish out the Regiment.  Should we get them by next Friday (the 25th) we will have a Regimental Command Company (12 'Mechs) and two line Battalions (each with 40 'Mechs, divided into three Combat Companies of 12 each and a Command Lance).  Plus support and auxiliaries. 

MA

Hey MA, have you decided on era for us or will it be a collective choice?

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #261 on: 21 September 2015, 22:12:25 »
Given the constraints, I would guess the Clan Invasion
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Cidwm

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #262 on: 21 September 2015, 22:37:27 »
We are a speed bump for the clans.  :P

blackpanzer

• Sergeant
« Reply #263 on: 21 September 2015, 23:16:13 »
Hey MA, have you decided on era for us or will it be a collective choice?

I believe we'd be just before the Clans hit us, which means we won't know what Clan tech is until more than half of us gets blown out of our rides....

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #264 on: 21 September 2015, 23:17:14 »
We are a speed bump for the clans.  :P

Speak for yourself. Some of us specialize specifically in not being in the line of fire.  :P
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Deathknight69

• Captain
  • Supernaturalizing the universe !!
« Reply #265 on: 22 September 2015, 04:26:33 »
Leutnant Josiah C.E. Wales - PHX-HK1R Phoenix Hawk LAM, Josiah got a Hauptmann General's wife & daughter pregnant and was summarily dishonorably discharged from the AFFC in 3046. He's been flying a local air-show circuit on Thorin to keep his LAM flying. He's a bit of a loner when push comes to shove but is generally a team player. He'd love to re-fit his LAM when funds and time permit.
"Remember kids, Ammo explosion's are as much fun as friendly fire and incoming fire has the right-of-way." - ShadowSeraph
Avatar by Wombat, Thanks again to the blue fuzzy marsupial of wanton destruction.
"SRM Carrier. It's actual combat value is irrelevant; the face of a player when one of their 'mechs takes a point-blank shot from one is priceless!  ^-^" - Fireangel
"What's a little canon-deviation amongst friends and enemies" - Self
Quote from: DarkSpade on August 10, 2022, 15:23:40
If you think about it, the perfect merc lives long enough to complete the objective, but not long enough to get paid.
Well, there's an Obi-Wan level point of view comment for you ...  xp
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 15:35:06 by Wolf72 »

MechRat

• Corporal
  • Knightmare's Evil Minion on OBT.com
    • OurBattleTech - A place for AU's to call home
« Reply #266 on: 22 September 2015, 11:59:12 »
Here is my second entry:

Catherine "Alley Cat" Decker piloting a TDR-5SE Thunderbolt. Like her husband, Matt "'MechRat" McKenzie, she prefers to stay mobile, jumping frequently to make targeting her more difficult. She is an excellent pilot, making the most of the jump jets on her 'Mech. She prefers to fight in close, even using physical attacks when she can.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #267 on: 23 September 2015, 00:29:51 »

MA

Well. Since I have been away from the thread for awhile and just noticed we get a second Mech.

MechWarrior Marius Murphy, Wolverine WVR-6M

Formerly Centurion Marius Murphy of the Marian Legion, the newly independent Mercenary had a falling out within the courts of Alphard in general and his Principes superior specifically and using what leverage he had left took his BattleMech and what assets he could make liquid with him, fleeing the Hegemony with troops from the Internal Security department of the Directorate of Security hot on his heels.

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #268 on: 23 September 2015, 07:21:34 »
Can I change my mind?

Scrap the other pilot for this:
Marc Vandelas

Formerly of the AFFS, he was discharged after an internal squabble with a rather incompetent officer who also happened to be from an offshoot of the Davions. He managed to use what little pull he had to take a piece of battlefield salvage with him: a relatively intact Panther. Excelling as a sniper, he would use it do contract work as a pirate hunter in the Periphery, where he would eventually be forced to abandon it.

Nevertheless the campaign was ultimately successful, and he returned to the Inner Sphere with a new mech he called the "Fixer-Upper": a PHX-HK1 Phoenix Hawk LAM that he had to purchase an ER Large Laser and double heat sinks on the open market for.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #269 on: 23 September 2015, 12:30:43 »

MechWarrior: Major Dane "Longshot" Brammidge

'Mech: STN-3KB Sentinel
First character's bio

Major Brammidge is a former AFFC officer having retired after the completion of the War of 3039. Having last served with the 4th Crucis Lancers, he was forced to make use of a salvaged Sentinel when his modified Phoenix Hawk was lost during the fighting on Konstance. Upon leaving the service, he retained ownership of the Sentinel due to conditions in his Service Contract. As his family is rather independently wealthy, Brammidge had all of the weapons, electronics and ommunication gear replaced with domestic (FedSuns) equivalents. He returned to his homeworld of Colorado and entered in the planetary militia and took up his family's seat on the board of Basantapur Fine Metals local headquarters. He married, divorced, remarried and divorced over the course of the next seven years. In early 3047, he got the itch to fight again and left the world of Colorado and went to Outreach to seek fortune and glory. He has spent the bulk of the past three years training at the Dragoon facilities and signing on with mercenary units looking to fill out their rosters. Most of the contracts were objective raids. Currently, he has been unemployed for the past six months but lives in a high rise in Harlech off his share of his family's wealth. Dane's Sentinel is painted in the reverse of the 4th Crucis Lancers, royal blue and carmine yellow (in quarters) with Davion green trim.

Second character

I'm going smaller with my second choice, the STG-A1 Stinger LAM Mk I. Piloted by Favia 'The Gray' Mauser, the Stinger LAM, nicknamed "Heartseeker", had been disassembled during the Amaris Crisis by her many times grandfather and placed in cold storage until the end of the War of 3039. Her father, a medically retired MechWarrior, re-discovered this family heirloom on their estate on the planet of Chahar and he had it painstakingly rebuilt and some of the electronics replaced. Once rebuilt, Favia's father gifted her the Stinger as she enlisted in Melissia Theater militia. Following her eight years of service to the planetary militia. She made her way eventually to Outreach. As an independent contractor, she's served with six different commands over the last five years. Her most recent contract was with Ace Darwin's WhipIts. Her last employment allowed her to return "Heartseeker" to its original armament of pulse weaponry. Until this time, the weaponry was a Medium Laser two small lasers and two machineguns. Due to a rare genetic anomaly, Favia was born with gray hair, which has gotten lighter as she has gotten older. She tried changing the colour to a dirty blonde earlier in her teen years, but it did not hold for long and she went back to her natural gray. To accent her hair colour, she wears clothes that are dark in hue, usually rich reds, blue and purples. Her Stinger LAM is painted a medium gray with trim in crimson, cobalt blue and indigo.

EDIT: Just putting both characters together and making a few edits. I ditched the Royal Sentinel for one of the Comstar Sentinels sent to the Dracs prior to the War of 3039.
« Last Edit: 25 September 2015, 05:17:14 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Register