Author Topic: What's your go to unit for Auto cannons  (Read 5211 times)

Lysenko

• Lieutenant
  • 15th Dracon: A Proud Tradition of Service
    • Polar Bear Dreams & Stranger Things
Re: What's your go to unit for Auto cannons
« Reply #30 on: 27 August 2015, 10:37:04 »
Wolverine II -7H. UAC5 with 40 rounds. I'm good. :)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #31 on: 27 August 2015, 11:59:58 »
This thread made me realize there isn't a canon clan mech with twin RAC5's.   Cuz I want that to be my go to.

Until then I've always like the Cauldron Born A but really like to swap the ultra for an LBX if I can.

Also, the Scylla 3 for when you can't decide between heavy weapons...

To the patient go the spoils

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #32 on: 27 August 2015, 12:31:05 »
Pillager 1N for dual-AC/20 + jump jets. King Crabs are second.

Alacorn Mk II for triple-AC/20 ambush fun.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
« Reply #33 on: 27 August 2015, 12:42:14 »
For my picks
Assault: Atlas 8-D     Just a brute enhanced by it's RAC5
Heavy: Jagermechs or Hammerhands     I've had good luck with both, but I LOVE the Marian JM6-H.
Mediums: Centurion or Blackjack     Good troopers
Lights: Hollander III Nice sniper with a double tab capability

Tanks
Gladius mkI and mkII    I am hoping to see a couple more variants soon.
Partisan AA tank I absolutely love this 55 ton tank with twin LBX 5s
« Last Edit: 27 August 2015, 15:43:56 by Saint »
"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: 27 August 2015, 13:11:41 »
The Rifleman RFL-3N and Wolverine WVR-6N were some of the overall most
effective early AC packing mechs .
Mostly because they don't appear dangerous enough to warrant serious
attention .

Never had good luck with the Centurion . Kaboom !
Several variants of the Hunchback are great in the right conditions
but that big gun wins them the primary target award .

Can add the Clint to that one, too --- yeah, I am rather fond of the AC/5..... kind of like Urbanmech-itis that goes around.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #35 on: 27 August 2015, 13:43:31 »
This thread made me realize there isn't a canon clan mech with twin RAC5's.   Cuz I want that to be my go to.

The Predator seems like it is begging for a twin RAC variant. 
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Khymerion

• Captain
    • The Iron Hack
« Reply #36 on: 27 August 2015, 14:05:32 »
The mech that comes to mind first and foremost?   The Kraken/Bane...  with all 10 of it's UAC-2 plinky goodness from about two counties away.

Vehicles...  it is the Partisan or it's bi-pedal robot cousin, the Jagermech... since they compliment each other in my book and do the job that I usually take AC armed units for...  airplane removers.
"Any sufficiently rigorously defined magic is indistinguishable from technology."  - Larry Niven... far too appropriate at times here.

...but sometimes making sure you turn their ace into red paste is more important than friends.

Do not offend the chair leg of truth.  It is wise and terrible.

The GM is only right for as long as the facts back him up.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #37 on: 27 August 2015, 14:29:49 »
Demolishers: Elegance in simplicity.  They're like Hetzers, but twice as nice!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #38 on: 27 August 2015, 14:31:10 »
The mech that comes to mind first and foremost?   The Kraken/Bane...  with all 10 of it's UAC-2 plinky goodness from about two counties away.

I played the standard Bane once, the 10X UAC-2s are comical at best. The Bane 2 with 4X UAC-10s is very much a Annihilator successor.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #39 on: 27 August 2015, 14:57:06 »
Saladins. Saladins. Did I forget to mention Saladins?
Right idea, but not my exact choice.  I tend to run at least 1 Scimitar with a group of Saracen hovertanks.  The AC/5 comes in handy for direct-fire aimed shots against immobile targets, after the Saracens have put a few motive crits on the competition.  Nothing like forcing a bail without blowing up the target, then using it against them in the next battle.

In the 'Mech category, the ON-1K ("Oink") seems to work well for me in the "slow" classes, although I usually prefer faster 'Mechs.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #40 on: 27 August 2015, 16:04:14 »

Vulture Mk III D.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 27 August 2015, 16:19:45 »
Err... the Original Atlas had an AC 20.

As for my go to units: Demolisher for surprise hidden 20's. In 3025 I always liked the stock Centurion.

Corrected my typo...
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Suralin

• Lieutenant
« Reply #42 on: 27 August 2015, 16:33:33 »

I can't think of the standard Kraken/Bane without thinking of JadeHellbringer's infamous critical failure cascade. ;D

For myself, I've had a soft spot for the Blackjack, Jagermech, and AC/2 Carrier. I've lost a surprising array of Mechs and vehicles to lucky criticals from those things and have learned to respect them.

Wrayth

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 27 August 2015, 18:12:47 »
That's a really hard question.  I quite like a number of autocannon units, but, unlike LRMs, there are significant differences in range brackets and other characteristics between the different autocannon types.  As such, it would be better to split it into different categories, which I will do here.   I will only be working with IS chassis here; I'm sure someone else can cover Clan stuff.  Additionally, I'll be trying to focus on units whose primary weapon is the autocannon, meaning it's either the centerpiece of its firepower or that it carries multiples of it.

Short range, massive damage; this is anything with "20" in the name.
  • King Crab KGC-005 or -005r:  With two LB-20X autocannons, this has superior range to something toting standard or ultra ACs.  In a C3i lance with a spotter, it's possible to achieve short range modifiers with both of your big guns while you're still 12 hexes out, which is a crushing advantage.  Also, the mech has the capability to crit-seek as well as hole-punch, and it does have a long range weapon so it can still shoot when not in range for the ACs.
  • Emperor -6S:  Like the KGC-005, it's got twin LB-20X.  However, it has NO long-range weapons, which cripples it except in city fighting, where its jump jets make it superior.
  • Nightstar -9SS: does basically the same thing, but one of the ACs is a UAC/20 instead of an LB-20X.
  • Hauptmann B: it functions like a Warhammer at long range, with twin ER PPCs, but gets to open up with its UAC/20 and pulse lasers at short.
  • Enforcer III -6H: 5/8/5 with an Ultra/20 and some medium lasers, all in a compact 50-ton package.
  • Demolisher: the quintessential area-denial tank.
  • Alacorn Mk IV: 3 AC/20's and lots of ammo.  Bring precision and NOTHING will want to come anywhere near it.
  • Also, this list would not be complete without the Blitzkrieg, which is basically nothing more than a UAC/20 with legs.  It has NO other weapons, but its speed is ridiculous (7/11) for something toting such a large weapon.  With the ability to blow away light mechs in one hit and the speed to catch them, this medium mech can function as an effective area denial tool like a Demolisher, but with a much larger bubble of "you are going to die".

One might wonder why the Atlas isn't on this list.  Simply put, the AC/20-toting versions of the Atlas are less than stellar in a post-Helm Memory Core Inner Sphere. Because of its slow speed, it's difficult for it to bring the AC to bear, and its firepower is underwhelming for an assault mech in this timeframe.  This isn't to say that it can't still be useful, however, just that other mechs do it better.  I've had a number of times where I was surprised at the performance of a 3025 Atlas that came up as part of random force generation during a FedCom Civil War or Jihad-era MegaMek game.

The same thing goes for the versions of the Victor that carry an AC/20 (though the one with all of the extra ammo bins for specialty ammo can be situationally awesome).

Medium range, high damage; anything with "10" in the name.
  • Nightstar -9FC: toting twin LB-10X and an ER PPC, it's extremely fast for a 95-tonner.
  • Rifleman -6X: twin LB-10X in a 5/8 package.
  • Alacorn Mk III: 3 AC/10's and a ridiculous amount of ammo.  Load up on precision and, perhaps, a ton or two of armor-piercing or flak, and go to town.
  • Templar A: UAC/10 with 3 tons of ammo to keep it firing rapidly for the entire fight, ER PPC, SRM6, and jump jets.
  • Emperor -6A: twin LB-10X and large lasers.  Can jump, and also has medium pulse to help deal with pesky light mechs.
  • Enforcers in general.

Special mention for the Banshee -8S.  It would be on this list, but it's more about the TSM and the hatchet than the LB-10X it carries.

Medium range, medium damage; stuff with "5" in the name.  I'm not a fan of standard AC/5's, LB-5X, or UAC/5's, so I'm not going to bother listing them; I have no go-to units with these as their primary weapons.
  • Rifleman -6D: 4 LAC/5's with LOTS of ammo for special munitions.  Given that it also has a C3 slave and ECM, it's the perfect mech to deal with fast lights for your ECM lance.  With a good spotter, it will always be firing at short range and getting the -2 bonus from precision ammo.
  • Longbow -13NAIS: this does the exact same thing as the previous mech, but it turns it up to 11 with 6 LAC/5's.  It is, however, significantly slower.
  • Malice -XV: this thing is just MEAN.  4 LAC/5's with LOTS of ammo and 4 improved heavy medium lasers in a 100-ton, 4/6 package.  It also has a C3 slave, though no ECM.
  • Rifleman -8D: twin RAC/5's bring the pain in a 4/6/4 package. No CASE, however.
  • Jagermech JM7-F: similar to the previous mech, but with CASE and no jump jets.  It's light on ammo, but has a targeting computer to make its shots count.
  • Ajax A: this thing is a monster with 3 RAC/5's, sufficient ammo to feed them, massive armor, a C3 slave, and ECM.

I really, really wish the Fed Suns had made a production model of the Templar (Tancred).  The fact that they didn't is the only reason it's not heading the list in the "5" category.  Special mention for the Atlas AS8-D.  It would've been on this list, but it's more about the total package than the RAC/5 that it carries.

Long range, low damage; stuff with "2" in the name.  I'm not at all a fan of any of the 2-class autocannons.  They're generally not worth bringing to a fight, IMO.  There is only one exception to this:
  • Templar B: Somehow, this mech works.  While not optimal, the 3 RAC/2's combine with the ER PPC to somehow give this mech sufficient firepower to function.  It's not the most awesome of mechs, but it certainly doesn't suck, either.

Anyway, I'm sure there are other units that I'm forgetting, but these are the ones that I think about when someone says "autocannons".
« Last Edit: 27 August 2015, 18:31:05 by Wrayth »
"If brute force isn't working, you obviously aren't using enough of it."

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #44 on: 27 August 2015, 18:36:44 »
I would like to add the Fortune assault vehicle. The wheeled Demolisher. It is just bad taste if someone meets these twin LB-20-X lying in an ambush. So brutal in downtown...  >:D

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #45 on: 27 August 2015, 20:09:53 »
Vulture Mk III D.

Awww dang you're right!!!!

That's it, I'm done refusing to support an IS faction.  Let's go Viking Bears!!!! Yay!!!!
Can I have one of those grumpy puppy mk3's now please???  Between the prime and the SSRM boat and that thing with twin RAC5's  [drool]

To the patient go the spoils

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 27 August 2015, 20:12:36 »
grumpy puppy mk3

Critical Hit: My Sides.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #47 on: 27 August 2015, 20:27:15 »
Vulture Mk III D.

It's more durable on than the Hunchback IIC 4. And the mini for the Vulture III should be coming out any time now...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #48 on: 27 August 2015, 23:36:24 »
It's also got two tons more ammo.  And lasers in the arms instead of the CT, so you don't have a blind spot in your rear where you can't shoot back at enemies.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #49 on: 27 August 2015, 23:38:52 »
Urbanmech UM-R60

That or the R60L.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #50 on: 28 August 2015, 00:12:15 »
R60 has a bit more reach than the R60L (although a bit let penetration).

For giggles, I have fielded a lance of R60s to hold an objective (it was a lot of fun and not what my opponent was expecting). One of these days, just for fun, I want to field a company or more of them, form them up in lines and volley fire them Napoleonic style  >:D
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #51 on: 28 August 2015, 01:02:26 »
R60 has a bit more reach than the R60L (although a bit let penetration).

For giggles, I have fielded a lance of R60s to hold an objective (it was a lot of fun and not what my opponent was expecting). One of these days, just for fun, I want to field a company or more of them, form them up in lines and volley fire them Napoleonic style  >:D
Advance by lines, each rank of four Urbies jumping over the ones in front while the ones in back fire
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #52 on: 28 August 2015, 01:03:32 »
Just realized there is no UM-R2D2, we must correct this.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #53 on: 28 August 2015, 01:25:31 »
Advance by lines, each rank of four Urbies jumping over the ones in front while the ones in back fire

O0
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

StoneRhino

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 28 August 2015, 06:59:34 »
OK so we have beaten the missiles to death..  Now onto ballistics!

For mechs what is your go to unit for Auto-cannons

Do you want to post anything else for me , Garhkal?  ::)

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #55 on: 28 August 2015, 14:27:44 »
I can't get enough of the Blade --- I am just frustrated that my group has all but forbidden me to use them, anymore.

Nahuris

I don't remember any of our group forbidding you from using it...

My go to is a Fafnier.
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 28 August 2015, 14:30:21 »
Go to Victor Ac20 and JJ whats not to love.

Moving down to secondary units Hammerhands, JagerMech, Rifleman, Centurion, and Enforcer. You may notice a them there.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #57 on: 28 August 2015, 16:41:30 »
Do you want to post anything else for me , Garhkal?  ::)

Yea.  Still got reg lasers, Gauss rifles and PPCs to do! 8)
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #58 on: 28 August 2015, 20:22:56 »
Yea.  Still got reg lasers, Gauss rifles and PPCs to do! 8)
And the other half of the missile spectrum

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #59 on: 28 August 2015, 20:48:22 »
And plasma weapons.

Register