Author Topic: Apple Barrel Remover  (Read 7808 times)

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
Apple Barrel Remover
« on: 23 October 2015, 10:14:01 »
I was searching around for a way to remove apple barrel paint. It looks to pasty to me on the model. Looked fine going on then went pasty.
Decided to stick to my model paints from Testors and particularly Master Craft (easy clean up, its water based)
Any ideas how to remove the Apple paint?
I tried scrubbing with water but got nothing. Might work if I let the model soak for a bit.
sp111kg

scatcat

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Apple Barrel Remover
« Reply #1 on: 23 October 2015, 10:22:13 »
Simple Green cures all paint woes.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #2 on: 23 October 2015, 11:19:28 »
Same with pine-sol. Soak it in the stuff overnight, then scrub it off underwater. Might take a couple soak-and-scrubs, but it should definitely do the trick.
My wife writes books

Sixteen tons means sixteen suits. CT must be repaired.

"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2015, 12:19:51 »
Dawn Power Dissolve works like a charm.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2015, 12:33:49 »
Target (if you're in the US) has a generic analog of Simple Green. The formulation regardless of brand is super useful. Drop a bunch undiluted into a jar, drop a mini in, and wait overnight... maybe two nights. The paint will scrub off much more easily. If you let it go for a week, it'll dissolve enough of a CA glue bond that you should also be able to break apart and clean the separate joints.

I agree with Weirdo that Pine-Sol will work really well, but caution that the stuff is pretty caustic when concentrated. You *must* wear gloves or it'll slough the outer layers of your skin. Not like an acid injury, but enough to make your fingers rough for a week.
« Last Edit: 23 October 2015, 12:35:44 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #5 on: 23 October 2015, 12:43:21 »
I agree with Weirdo that Pine-Sol will work really well, but caution that the stuff is pretty caustic when concentrated. You *must* wear gloves or it'll slough the outer layers of your skin. Not like an acid injury, but enough to make your fingers rough for a week.

I've never had this problem, and do my stripping barehanded... ???
My wife writes books

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 23 October 2015, 12:46:54 »
I've never had this problem, and do my stripping barehanded... ???

Well I'll be.

I've seen multiple reports and experienced it myself. Must vary from hand to hand.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Weirdo

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
« Reply #7 on: 23 October 2015, 12:55:20 »
My undissolvable hands mark me as a freak of nature, and abomination against science!

SWEET!! [rockon]
My wife writes books

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 23 October 2015, 13:02:49 »
My undissolvable hands mark me as a freak of nature, and abomination against science!

SWEET!! [rockon]

You sound like Jason Fox.

Nahuris

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 23 October 2015, 14:28:17 »
Same here, it has no effect on my skin at all, but it just about eats my ex down to the bone...... so, yeah, different people react differently, I guess.
I use a cleaner called Awesome, that is sold through the Dollar Tree --- and it works wonders.

Nahuris
"A friend will calm you down when you are angry, but a BEST friend will skip along beside you with a baseball bat singing "someone's gonna get it."

"If we are ever in a situation, where I am the voice of reason, we are in a very bad situation."

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2015, 13:25:34 »
Thanks every one. Ill try all doing what you suggested. (Multiple models that i painted for some reason) So ill find the one I like best.
sp111kg

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2015, 14:43:34 »
I'm curious as to what you mean by "pasty." I'm using some Apple Barrel paints myself, and while they can be a bit thick, I've had no issues with them, even mixed with different brands.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2015, 17:46:47 »
Maybe a bad batch?

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2015, 09:29:12 »
Use Americana paints if you can,cheap but way better paint.

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2015, 14:09:55 »
I'm curious as to what you mean by "pasty." I'm using some Apple Barrel paints myself, and while they can be a bit thick, I've had no issues with them, even mixed with different brands.
They don't have a smooth look to them. Could be im judging the paint harshly (Im use to Master Craft Paints and Tamiya) It looks like its pasty or chalky would be a better description.

Maybe a bad batch?
Possible. I only brought one bottle of that paint. It looks good for terrain. I may have put it on too thick perhaps.
sp111kg

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2015, 14:13:20 »
Apple Barrel is a bit thicker than hobby-specific paints...another way the hobby companies are ripping us off. If you find it's too thick, just add a little water. Worst case, you'll need to do a couple thin coats, but if you're priming your minis properly it should be fine.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2015, 14:52:06 »
I'd add that all paint should be thinned and added in multiple coats. "Adding color to a mini" rather than "painting a coat" is more subtle and provides a good clue about how one should think of this. That helps prevent gobbing the stuff on undiluted and wondering why the panel lines don't look nice. Apple Barrel is just more so.
« Last Edit: 27 October 2015, 20:26:01 by Bedwyr »

SLDF_Spector

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 27 October 2015, 16:44:27 »
I've been using Apple Barrel without any issues.  Just thin it down a bit and it goes on great.

One day I will have a woman who's name doesn't end in jpg, bmp, or png.

sp111kg

• Corporal
  • Clan Wolf
« Reply #18 on: 27 October 2015, 19:28:53 »
I normally use master arts in several coats. Never primed any of my models. Haven't noted a difference in color or such. Im thinking the problem was that AB is a thick pigment paint that needs to be watered down. Thanks for the feed back.
As a note. I noted some bunkers I made out of caps look good, but that was with the paint being spread out over thin layers compared to the few i put on the tanks (1/285 scale)
sp111kg

Charger3604bbl

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
« Reply #19 on: 27 October 2015, 23:20:21 »
I read a long time ago that Apple Barrel and other cheaper craft acrylic paints don't use as fine of pigments as the more expensive hobby paints.  I use craft paint for terrain and scenery but don't care for the look on minis. 

Years ago I used Pine Sol to strip some plastic space marines and in 24 hours it removed the paint but also softened the plastic enough to wash out some of the detail. 

On metal I will use Dad's paint stripper.  Clean a model in about 30 seconds,  but will instantly dissolve nitrile gloves,  burn your flesh and eat through an aluminum pie plate in an hour.  Good times!

Chris

aleksandr2578

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 02 November 2015, 13:58:08 »
I used to swear by Simple Green, but the last few times I've used it, it hasn't done much for me.  I think it has a lot to do with what kind of paint was applied, and in many cases, I don't know, as I've bought the units second-hand.

I had a bunch of 40K plastic Eldar that I soaked in Simple Green for months and then scrubbed with a toothbrush and it barely lifted any of the paint from the surface.  I think I tossed those things back in the Simple Green and they are probably still in there to this day.  I should likely go find them and see if they are just goo now.

Most recently, I soaked some 'Mechs I got off of eBay.  Even after a week in full strength Simple Green, I've gotten next to nowhere with them, except to make the paint very gummy and even harder to remove.  They are sitting in Acetone right now to better effect.  I think I'm going to stick with Acetone for anything metal going forward.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #21 on: 02 November 2015, 17:34:04 »
O use pinesol
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

SLDF_Spector

• Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: 02 November 2015, 19:38:24 »
Lemon scented Pinesol.

Hey, if I'm gonna smell it, it might as well be pleasant.
One day I will have a woman who's name doesn't end in jpg, bmp, or png.

Register