Author Topic: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)  (Read 46259 times)

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Re: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« Reply #180 on: 22 July 2019, 02:30:39 »
I think they are depicted as horizontal, but could be wrong. My only complaint about the series is the Holden character. I cannot stand his puppy eyes and holier than thou attitude. the rest of the characters and acting I buy wholesale. Hoilden is just a subpar actor though.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #181 on: 22 July 2019, 06:44:08 »
I think they are depicted as horizontal, but could be wrong.

Trick camera work. When we see the ship's cargo door hatch open in one episode, you can see from shape of hole/things seen inside its vertical.

My only complaint about the series is the Holden character. I cannot stand his puppy eyes and holier than thou attitude. the rest of the characters and acting I buy wholesale. Hoilden is just a subpar actor though.

Hilarious thing is... he is even more holier than thou in the books.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #182 on: 22 July 2019, 06:56:33 »
Hilarious thing is... he is even more holier than thou in the books.

It's pretty much his whole thing.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #183 on: 22 July 2019, 07:25:43 »
It's pretty much his whole thing.

Considering the characters main claim to fame is annoying the entire Solar System, I'd say the actor is doing a great job!

Disclaimer: I like Holden and I like the actor.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Tukayyid Expanded Random Unit Tables, Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #184 on: 22 July 2019, 07:34:02 »
One of my best friends and I have a running joke about James Holden commenting on whatever bad-taste gag we've just shared and kicking off a war as a result.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #185 on: 22 July 2019, 12:35:14 »
My only complaint about the series is the Holden character. I cannot stand his puppy eyes and holier than thou attitude.
I believe that description of him has been used more than once throughout the novels. I guess that means, "works as intended."

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #186 on: 22 July 2019, 13:18:56 »
looks like the Roci got a major upgrade since season 3.. landing legs, teakettles for landing in atmo, is that a freaking miniature railgun? curious who did the rebuilding since they managed to tick off all three major powers as well as the systems biggest industrial conglomerate last season.

also interesting that the first ship we see in the trailer has a rotational section.. clearly ship designs have adapted to the 'speed limit' of the gate zone. clearly the Nauvoo's role in the first gate incident left some impressions on people.

the scene with Avasarala looking at the display screen has a ship displayed, not a style we've seen in previous seasons that i can tell. the ship carries the name label CIV_Sinon. and a flight path is displayed below the ship wireframe, with the same label and showing a path taking it between earth and the moon, clipping close to earth. can't tell if it is coming or going though.

right after there is a blink and you'll miss it of a small craft, looking rather cobbled together (or perhaps just very utilitarian) dropping off a missile that proceeds to flip over and fly away back along the ships path of travel. i don't think this is the CIV_Sinon from the earlier scene, the shape of the ship doesn't match.

freeze framing the scene with the two ships near the gate later in the trailer, it looks like the foreground ship is MCRN (going by color and what we can see of the shape) while the background one is UNN (going by styling), and also includes a rotational section (on the nose, and apparently retracted and not spinning. which is probably part of its battle stations mode)

also i love the prefab buildings at the one base.. very plausible approach. i would hope though that if we see other worlds with more greenery that the colony sites look a bit more fireflyish with buildings made from locally sourced materials.
« Last Edit: 22 July 2019, 13:22:29 by glitterboy2098 »

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #187 on: 22 July 2019, 13:57:34 »
is that a freaking miniature railgun?

oh yes.

also interesting that the first ship we see in the trailer has a rotational section.. clearly ship designs have adapted to the 'speed limit' of the gate zone. clearly the Nauvoo's role in the first gate incident left some impressions on people.

I don't remember if it was explicitly stated in the show, but the speed limit was removed when everyone restarted their drives.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #188 on: 22 July 2019, 14:13:03 »
also i love the prefab buildings at the one base.. very plausible approach. i would hope though that if we see other worlds with more greenery that the colony sites look a bit more fireflyish with buildings made from locally sourced materials.
If memory serves, you should see two, very different, colony sites on this planet.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #189 on: 13 December 2019, 04:26:39 »
Series 4 is live.  I have watched Episode 1 and it's a doozy.  There are some changes from the book - Bobbie's first chapter is pretty much adapted entirely in here and it looks like she's sticking around - Drummer and Ashford remain a presence, and it looks like between the three of them, we're going to be delving into the Duarte/Marco arcs a bit early.  Which I'm OK with. I'm fully expecting books 5 and 6 to be entirely covered by series 5.

The setup on Ilus has been changed a bit as well - RCE's mission is entirely scientific according to Avasarala (but there's a conversation between Murtry and the ill-fated expedition head that suggests they're there for the resources to some degree, so that side of the conflict is going to be a presence at least).

Amazing production values on display too - some fantastic establishing shots of the Ring, Earth, and Mars.  The alterations to the opening credits are breathtaking, and the animation over the first half of the closing credits is a great, ominous moment.

Cache

• Captain
« Reply #190 on: 13 December 2019, 13:09:04 »
I'm not a fan of them rushing through the books so fast, but I also realize that they have to work with the time they've got.  :-\ Thanks for the reminder that S4 dropped... haven't been on Prime in a bit.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #191 on: 13 December 2019, 13:53:21 »
It makes sense from a production standpoint to add some of the Sol system elements to the story while the Roci crew are on Ilus - it's a lot easier to keep Shoreh Agdashloo and Frankie Adams around for later series if it's a steady gig. 

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #192 on: 13 December 2019, 18:52:47 »
I've watched the first 4 and loving it the only thing that's a little confusing is Mars appears to have drunk the Peace-coolade so much so that they are in the process of decommissioning things which given previous series is weird.

I'm loving the four stories though it jumps about just enough to keep you wanting more
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

hoosierhick

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #193 on: 13 December 2019, 20:04:20 »
I'm three episodes in and have really been enjoying it.  I'm wondering why they recast Arjun Avsarala.  The new actor that's playing him is doing a fine job, but I thought he was Chrisjen's son until he introduced himself later on.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #194 on: 14 December 2019, 01:57:19 »
I'm three episodes in and have really been enjoying it.  I'm wondering why they recast Arjun Avsarala.  The new actor that's playing him is doing a fine job, but I thought he was Chrisjen's son until he introduced himself later on.

Presumably Brian George wasn't available during filming - he does a lot of guest roles and VO work.   Remember in Babylon 5 when General Haig was killed on his way to station when fighting broke out between his faction and Clark loyalists?  He was meant to be in the episode where B5 declared independence, but the actor was working on the DS9 2-parter where he plays an admiral who stages a coup.  His agent double-booked him by mistake, and he had to choose the better-paying job.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #195 on: 14 December 2019, 17:14:33 »
Presumably Brian George wasn't available during filming - he does a lot of guest roles and VO work.   Remember in Babylon 5 when General Haig was killed on his way to station when fighting broke out between his faction and Clark loyalists?  He was meant to be in the episode where B5 declared independence, but the actor was working on the DS9 2-parter where he plays an admiral who stages a coup.  His agent double-booked him by mistake, and he had to choose the better-paying job.

It's available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WkQTzAcYk

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #196 on: 15 December 2019, 15:25:00 »

I liked him I B5 but loved the double patter in DS9 one twisted broken admiral
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #197 on: 08 October 2020, 16:57:53 »
So we have something to look forward to...
(Personally can't wait. Looks like it's going to be epic!)

https://youtu.be/caLji74IIp4

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #198 on: 08 October 2020, 17:41:16 »
I was not expecting them to do such a straight adaptation of book 5, but I recognised scenes from pretty much every character arc in the novel.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #199 on: 10 October 2020, 02:10:05 »
Two updates on The Expanse.

1. Similar to The Boys, the first three episodes of series 5 will drop on December 16th, with episodes 4-10 being added weekly thereafter.
2. Series 6 has been green-lit and is in pre-production right now!

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #200 on: 10 October 2020, 12:37:42 »
Two updates on The Expanse.

1. Similar to The Boys, the first three episodes of series 5 will drop on December 16th, with episodes 4-10 being added weekly thereafter.

I really hate it when Amazon does this. I know they want to keep making viewers come back to their service, but they only started doing this when The Boys became a breakout hit. Typical behavior from them: they're essentially saying, "we're Amazon, so we can do whatever we want, and youre gonna have to put up with it."

::)

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #201 on: 10 October 2020, 16:28:37 »
I really hate it when Amazon does this. I know they want to keep making viewers come back to their service, but they only started doing this when The Boys became a breakout hit. Typical behavior from them: they're essentially saying, "we're Amazon, so we can do whatever we want, and youre gonna have to put up with it."

It'll also be a case of them staggering their releases so they can prepare the next release during the schedule instead of getting a spike in activity then fans moaning about the next season release

This way it gives them a few weeks to say OK our actors can take a break and do a press tour then jump back into it before they've released all of them in ten weeks

When we as viewers get to the end they can say we're already in preproduction stick with us fans then we'll wait another 8 months its just good business

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #202 on: 10 October 2020, 16:39:55 »

It's to keep it in the media cycle for longer.  Reviews will be coming in for 7 weeks instead of 1, it'll be talked about on social media and forums for longer - hell, compare how much discussion each episode of series 1-3 got here compared to all of series 4.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #203 on: 10 October 2020, 19:06:28 »
It's going to be great. Looking forward to this.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #204 on: 10 October 2020, 20:20:41 »
It's going to be great. Looking forward to this.

Yep. For people who've read the books, they know this is when stuff starts to get crazy.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #205 on: 11 October 2020, 12:21:38 »

This is nothing new, Prime has usually dropped shows one episode at a time like HBO.
All-at-once is Netflix.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #206 on: 11 October 2020, 12:25:58 »
That's a recent change for Prime, though.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #207 on: 12 October 2020, 07:40:03 »
This is nothing new, Prime has usually dropped shows one episode at a time like HBO.
All-at-once is Netflix.
All episodes of Season 1 of The Boys were released at the same day- same as their other Prime series lineup like The Man in the High Castle- all 4 seasons. Same with Season 4 of The Expanse- all released on the same day when they acquired it from SyFy.

Amazon then decided to change things so they could make more money, thats it- they always do stuff like this.
« Last Edit: 12 October 2020, 07:46:47 by Triptych »

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #208 on: 12 October 2020, 08:20:40 »
That's a recent change for Prime, though.
For the show only season 4 was different, season 1-3 all was weekly releases on Syfy, season 4 was all-at-once on Prime, now they are back to the old weekly schedule. :)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #209 on: 12 October 2020, 08:29:21 »
I injured my neck last week and had to spend much of the last 4 days not moving very much.  I ended up watching the Electric Dreams anthology on Prime.  Out of the 10 or so shows watched.  Only about 2-3 of them were really a good story. Why are all the sci fi shows now dystopian futures where everyone's furniture is made of concrete? 

Register