Author Topic: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)  (Read 46239 times)

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
Re: SyFy actually getting back into Sci-Fi? (The Expanse)
« Reply #240 on: 17 December 2020, 03:04:40 »
I want the next episode!!

Very good start, stuff happening. Fun stuff.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #241 on: 17 December 2020, 05:48:18 »
I was very impressed from a technical standpoint - some breathtaking shots in there, especially the ship landing on Luna, the looks inside Tycho's dock and cargo spaces, and Alex's ex's neighbourhood on Mars looks exactly like I pictured it from the books. There's a great blink and you'll miss it moment in episode 1 where Avasarala pours a drink in lunar gravity and it's really well done.

Story-wise it's pretty much what I expected from the books.  Amos' bits were probably my favourite, it's a shame we saw so little of Naomi's arc in these three episodes, not surprised that Drummer continues to absorb other Belter characters from the books, basically taking on Pa's arc from book 5 (and it was interesting that they kept the polyamory stuff from the books for the show), interesting that they've made Admiral Sauveterre more of a figure in the show.  And I was totally expecting episode 3 to end where it did.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #242 on: 17 December 2020, 09:29:39 »
I enjoyed the first 3 epsiodes. They were pretty neat, lots of world building....just to destroy it all!!! 
I liked the Mars stuff and Amos was pure awesome acting.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #243 on: 17 December 2020, 17:24:46 »
so show had not lost steam so far?usually shows begin a slow agonizing death no matter how well they were by season 4
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #244 on: 17 December 2020, 21:36:51 »
so show had not lost steam so far?usually shows begin a slow agonizing death no matter how well they were by season 4

Source materials helped in this case. The book series ramped up and up, so the show was able to ramp up and up.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Death Monkey

• Sergeant
« Reply #245 on: 18 December 2020, 04:13:15 »

Well, they have a definitive finish line.  That should help them keep up quality.  Only one more season before the permanent hiatus.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #246 on: 18 December 2020, 09:01:15 »
Well, they have a definitive finish line.  That should help them keep up quality.  Only one more season before the permanent hiatus.
good usually by 7th seaason show if it does not finish by then ends up dying a horrid death that destroys the fan base as much as possible
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #247 on: 18 December 2020, 22:36:53 »
The Expanse has a lot of book support to help the show because it's already written, don't get to far with its self like Game of Thrones. 7 Seasons would be great and that is usually the cutoff, Season 8 of shows is usually bad and is usally the end. Dr House, Game of Thones Season 8 were just really tough. Dr Who changed main person so it's like a whole new show when they get a new Doctor.

Death Monkey

• Sergeant
« Reply #248 on: 03 February 2021, 05:05:46 »
This season was a little slow in the middle, but ended well.

And it looks they aren’t recasting Alex for next season...

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #249 on: 03 February 2021, 07:53:28 »
And it looks they aren’t recasting Alex for next season...

Well, he was accused of sexual harassment and assault. It's sad that the actor was acting the way he was and caused this problem for scenarists. It will be hard to see Season 6 without Alex

Even though season 6 will be last I am glad that I saw this awesome show. It prompted me to read books. Now I am reading Caliban's War. Some characters have a different feeling in books.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
« Reply #250 on: 04 February 2021, 10:58:23 »
I thought the way they shot Naomi's rescue scene (in space) was perfect. I love the perspective of it.

Niopsian

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno.
« Reply #251 on: 04 February 2021, 12:51:16 »
This reply contains mild Book spoilers up to Tiamat's Wrath, so don't read this unless you've read them.

We finished watching the season last night. I have to agree that it wasn't nearly as strong as previous seasons. Part of that was the nature of the material - splitting up the crew meant that if you're not equally invested in all of the Big Four then there are going to be stretches where you might start glancing at your watch. And for our household those stretches involved Naomi. And let's face it, if you're not a Naomi fan then Season Five is going to be a bad time.

And it's a shame, because I like Book Naomi. And we both liked early seasons Naomi. But the show's depiction of the Holden/Naomi relationship just hasn't worked for us. There's been more chemistry between Holden and Monica in a handful of episodes than in the entirety of the show's run so far and I think the producers realized that, which is why they brought her back to give Holden someone to play off of this season.

Regarding the Alex situation - I get why they did what they did, and I get why they did it how they did given the complexities of trying to adapt to the situation in the middle of a pandemic, but it still rankles. We're divided on who gets to be the new pilot of the Roci now. I'd like to see Bull stick around, but Clarissa is a qualified pilot as well...

The politics with Avasarala on the moon felt like filter, sadly. Mostly time spent maneuvering the character out of a position they didn't need to maneuver her into in the first place. (That and keeping her hands clean wrt Earth's escalation of the conflict with the Belt.)

Every scene with Amos was a treasure. Enough said.

Can we talk about Drummer of Borg? I like the character. I like the actress. But man, by this point she is an amalgamation of at least 3 book characters and the contortions needed to keep getting her into the right place for the new season are noticeable.

Finally, given the announcement of S6 being the last, I'm honestly surprised they chose to include as much of the Duarte/Laconia storyline as they did. Gives me hope that the rumors about concluding the story via film have some basis.

...cut a manager in to come up with a plan and the next thing you know you're big in Japan

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #252 on: 04 February 2021, 14:11:34 »
This reply contains mild Book spoilers up to Tiamat's Wrath, so don't read this unless you've read them.

We finished watching the season last night. I have to agree that it wasn't nearly as strong as previous seasons. Part of that was the nature of the material - splitting up the crew meant that if you're not equally invested in all of the Big Four then there are going to be stretches where you might start glancing at your watch. And for our household those stretches involved Naomi. And let's face it, if you're not a Naomi fan then Season Five is going to be a bad time.

And it's a shame, because I like Book Naomi. And we both liked early seasons Naomi. But the show's depiction of the Holden/Naomi relationship just hasn't worked for us. There's been more chemistry between Holden and Monica in a handful of episodes than in the entirety of the show's run so far and I think the producers realized that, which is why they brought her back to give Holden someone to play off of this season.

Regarding the Alex situation - I get why they did what they did, and I get why they did it how they did given the complexities of trying to adapt to the situation in the middle of a pandemic, but it still rankles. We're divided on who gets to be the new pilot of the Roci now. I'd like to see Bull stick around, but Clarissa is a qualified pilot as well...

The politics with Avasarala on the moon felt like filter, sadly. Mostly time spent maneuvering the character out of a position they didn't need to maneuver her into in the first place. (That and keeping her hands clean wrt Earth's escalation of the conflict with the Belt.)

Every scene with Amos was a treasure. Enough said.

Can we talk about Drummer of Borg? I like the character. I like the actress. But man, by this point she is an amalgamation of at least 3 book characters and the contortions needed to keep getting her into the right place for the new season are noticeable.

Finally, given the announcement of S6 being the last, I'm honestly surprised they chose to include as much of the Duarte/Laconia storyline as they did. Gives me hope that the rumors about concluding the story via film have some basis.

I haven't read the books yet, so don't have anything to compare the show to. Maybe that helps, because to me this season has been the strongest yet. Every episode has been keeping me on the edge of my seat. Would say they did a really good job balancing all of the different plot strands.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #253 on: 04 February 2021, 20:14:03 »
If next season truly is the last, I expect they will not have Holden get captured, or the giant time jump, and probably have the entire season take place in the Sol system against the Laconian fleet, and somehow the enemy aliens show up and get magically defeated.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #254 on: 05 February 2021, 04:47:05 »
I'm guessing the final series will just be a straight up adaptation of Babylon's Ashes, and they're going to try and do a sequel show or movie series to do books 7-9

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #255 on: 05 February 2021, 14:54:42 »
The season end of 5 was such a great episode and ending for a season. It solved some of the season, and opened many other doors. I know season 6 and later in the show is n the books, so maybe I got to get reading.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #256 on: 13 February 2021, 03:21:50 »
Welp, we finished binge watching S5 and I think its the best season since Season 1. I liked that they went back to the socio-pollitical intrigue instead of the ancient aliens stuff.

Chrisjen remains my favorite character because she reminds me of Cersei Lanister/ Daenerys of GoT so it was great to see her taking on a bigger role this season. I dont have much sympathy for the Roci crew (except for Bobie Draper), so Alex's death didnt affect me.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #257 on: 23 February 2021, 02:44:07 »
Finally finished the season having not read the books I'd base it purely on the show and I enjoyed it

It was weird having them all split up but at the same time it made it interesting gone are the previous seasons of Roci against all or on a planet all day instead it took it back to the first season with several stories going off at once which I liked

The Roci storyline was good I like Bull, I'd like the reporter to stick about, and the battle sequences though few were stunning

Amos is a treasure to the series it was just great every scene and most of them he didn't even have a gun or beat anyone up

Bobbie I felt was underused her mars storyline was alright but there was little stopping the momentum and it was a good resolution to Alex's arc with the actors personal issues instead of a gun fight which he wasn't known for simply something we could all face under stress I liked that

Naomis arc was pretty brutal constantly fighting a losing personal battle then the transit between ships finally fighting CO2 poisioning and exhaustion it was excruciating to watch with no other character to counter it.  Other Sci fi would have a character in her head appear to drive her on but instead all she had was her own computerised voice as a motivator

Drummer too seemed to be slipping away into dispare only to pull it back while still losing part of herself great arc

My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #258 on: 23 February 2021, 21:46:37 »
I'm guessing the final series will just be a straight up adaptation of Babylon's Ashes, and they're going to try and do a sequel show or movie series to do books 7-9
apparently the writers are calling the stop after season 6 a "pause" rather than a cancellation. so i'd guess that while it isn't immediately on the books, they're prepared to pick it up again if someone picks up the budget.
given there is a major timeskip i could see the later material being used for a sequel series. i could also see a network deciding to wait until the next books are out for a full story arc, and to see how the show's fanbase sticks around or not after no new material is incoming.

« Last Edit: 23 February 2021, 21:48:27 by glitterboy2098 »

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #259 on: 24 February 2021, 00:08:01 »
Granted, I havent read the books and my knowledge is probably incomplete, but I found the scenes on Earth after the asteroid attacks to be peculiar. It seems the entire world became a devastated, post-apocalyptic wasteland. What about the other continents? How come everyone is fleeing to the Moon?

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #260 on: 24 February 2021, 01:13:25 »
In the books, the attacks are far more devastating than described in the TV series. Basically, it's a global "asteroid winter" - pretty much everywhere is shrouded in ash & smoke, minimal food growth, devastation of supply chains, and most of the Earth fleet (IIRC) is roped into just trying to lift survivors off Earth.

I'm wondering if they're going to compact what we know from books 7 & 8 into series 6? That "pause" would allow the ... adjustments required by the time skip required.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #261 on: 24 February 2021, 09:30:12 »
Well that would make more sense with regards to their motivations to leave Earth. When it was mentioned that tens of millions had died I didnt think it was that devastating since Earth's current population is several billion. If they had said hundreds of millions dead then it would have been a more serious event from a viewer's perspective.

Also, there was mention that Mars had been attacked too, but it was never shown. I would guess an impact would be less devastating since their habitats are airtight and mostly separated, but Im just speculating.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #262 on: 24 February 2021, 16:42:07 »
The way everyone from the writers to the cast are being so coy abouut future Expanse productions has me thinking something is on the horizon. But I doubt it would be a full season per book again. Maybe feature length specials for the last 3 books?

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #263 on: 25 February 2021, 20:02:27 »
I've watched the first few episodes of "Resident Alien" kinda funny, but I think it will run its course in about 10 episodes (it will for me at least).

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #264 on: 25 February 2021, 20:32:12 »
I've watched the first few episodes of "Resident Alien" kinda funny, but I think it will run its course in about 10 episodes (it will for me at least).
try the comic book

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #265 on: 08 October 2021, 13:31:42 »
Series 6 trailer is up, kicking off on December 10th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PJpkGPtAHE

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #266 on: 08 October 2021, 15:40:05 »
Series 6 trailer is up, kicking off on December 10th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PJpkGPtAHE

Can't wait for Season 6, too bad its going to be a shorter season. It can't come soon enough.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #267 on: 08 October 2021, 21:41:05 »
It occurs to me that The Expanse could wind up being the first TV show set in space that actually has scenes filmed in space.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #268 on: 09 October 2021, 00:25:14 »
Can't wait for Season 6, too bad its going to be a shorter season. It can't come soon enough.

A normal season is 12-13 eps, with one season iirc of 10 eps..  How much shorter are they going to make it?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #269 on: 09 October 2021, 01:46:27 »
A normal season is 12-13 eps, with one season iirc of 10 eps..  How much shorter are they going to make it?

I don't think it's been confirmed anywhere, but the shooting time for series 6 was much shorter, rumour is it's going to be 6 episodes.

(and both prior amazon series were 10 episodes)

Register