Author Topic: Kampfgruppe Steiner Operation: Götterdämmerung or how we survived the Dark Age.  (Read 76610 times)

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
Well the Lyrans can't be allowed to succeed. It was fairly clear that recapturing some nameless systems in Tamar Rising should be considered a victory.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
I wonder which factions' adherents feel like they ARE allowed to succeed.

The Wolves, surely, and then...?
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
I wonder which factions' adherents feel like they ARE allowed to succeed.

The Wolves, surely, and then...?

Right NOW that's pretty much it, but that doesn't mean it's going to be 'it' forever.  To have a wargame you have to have two or more sides that both think they have a reasonable chance of winning.

(OR, you have to have ALL sides feeling they're just staving off annihilation, which is the same thing, just in a less optimistic context).

What we're seeing right now is setting up the dressing for the next act-there's a reason the Wolf Clan got an easy walk with the RoTS that was mostly off-stage and leaned heavily on the brain-removing pills on one side.

Don't expect that trend to continue.   One-sided settings tend to end up dying, but one-sided events tend to result in strong emotional moments when they get reversed.  (Which translates into renewed interest and investment/excitement among the fans. The Devs and writers are professionals, they know this.)

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

BrianDavion

• Captain
mayybe but I think it's worth noting that  the warrior trilogy came out in 1989, with the blood of kerensky trilogy in the same year, assumption of risk, which split the fedcom occured in 1995 with the FCCW occuring in novels dating to around '98 and 99)

for fans of the LC this means a absurdly short up followed by DECADES of down, and then when the jade falcons, one of the principal factions behind the "down" literally dissappers of the map, the Lyrans seem to sit around and do... almost nothing.

I think Lyran fans are justified to be impatient.
The Suns will shine again

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
mayybe but I think it's worth noting that  the warrior trilogy came out in 1989, with the blood of kerensky trilogy in the same year, assumption of risk, which split the fedcom occured in 1995 with the FCCW occuring in novels dating to around '98 and 99)

for fans of the LC this means a absurdly short up followed by DECADES of down, and then when the jade falcons, one of the principal factions behind the "down" literally dissappers of the map, the Lyrans seem to sit around and do... almost nothing.

I think Lyran fans are justified to be impatient.

Beyond Denial,

is Anger.

Beyond Anger,

is Bargaining.

Beyond Bargaining,

Comes Acceptance.

at which point, everyone else will call you out for pointing out what's already been happening as 'tinfoil hat the sky is falling negativity'.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

CJC070

• Lieutenant
To be honest with the Social Generals and being used as a punching bag I started as Lyran and have become more mercenary.  Not that there is a big difference.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Beyond Denial,

is Anger.

Beyond Anger,

is Bargaining.

Beyond Bargaining,

Comes Acceptance.

at which point, everyone else will call you out for pointing out what's already been happening as 'tinfoil hat the sky is falling negativity'.

Some people just how limits on how emotionally invested they're willing to get over the fate of fictional characters.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DOC_Agren

• Major
To be honest with the Social Generals and being used as a punching bag I started as Lyran and have become more mercenary.  Not that there is a big difference.
that means you are one of our effective commanders   :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
Question for the group: do we know the status of the 1st Buena Guards in 3150?

I know after FM3145 they rebelled and became the Collective Guards and got defeated. Are they gone now?

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
The final fate of the 1st Buena Guards (renamed to the 1st Collective Guards) is unclear. That being siad, from the text in Shattered Fortress, I'd say that the unit was likely disbanded following its surredner.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
The final fate of the 1st Buena Guards (renamed to the 1st Collective Guards) is unclear. That being siad, from the text in Shattered Fortress, I'd say that the unit was likely disbanded following its surredner.

Thanks! That is also how I read it. Guess I'll paint something else for IlClan.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

ds9guy

• Sergeant
  • Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
What is the state of things on the Lyran border with the Free World's League? 
Is this all territory claimed by the Wold Empire?  If so, what is the state of things while Clan Wolf fights near Terra?
Is Wolf Empire territory largely abandoned like Jade Falcon worlds in the former Invasion zone? 
Did Marik or Steiner forces move aganist the Wolf out here?

CJC070

• Lieutenant
What is the state of things on the Lyran border with the Free World's League? 
Is this all territory claimed by the Wold Empire?  If so, what is the state of things while Clan Wolf fights near Terra?
Is Wolf Empire territory largely abandoned like Jade Falcon worlds in the former Invasion zone? 
Did Marik or Steiner forces move aganist the Wolf out here?

(In announcer voice) Find out in the upcoming sourcebook *dramatic pause* Empire Alone.

Metallgewitter

• Captain
I have aquestion as I have finally gotten my hand on Shattered fortress: i seem to remember that some said that the Mech factories on coventry were destroyed when the Falcons invaded. But after reading that section I got the impression that nothing major happened except the flattening of Whitting to symbolize that "dirty spheroids have no right to the Star League" and the death of Jasek Kelswa-Steiner. The Falcons were then beaten by Roderick and never deployed their tactical nukes despite orders from Malvina. So I assume CMW is still standing? Or did I miss a part there?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
From what I've gathered, the Coventry Metal Works factories were damaged but eventually returned to operational capacity.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
Anything good for us in Empire alone???

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
A few minor mentions down along the Wolf/FWL borders.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major

The June 3152 map shows both Bolan and Dixie surrounded by and in Steiner blue again.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

MDFification

• Sergeant
  • The Rim Is Not Yet Lost

A few things. Some of them I think are very promising going foward.

Firstly, the Alarion Buena York Province and Timbuktu Florida Theatre has been reorganized and stabilized, which frees up the LCAF (which essentially had to occupy half the province to prevent another secession attempt) for offensive action. They've used that freedom to retake Bolan and Dixie.

Second, the Wolf Empire is not only completely hamstrung by it's lack of forces, it's actively being invaded by the FWL. The Lyrans now don't have an active front against a powerful adversary; they're surrounded by states too small or too busy attacking one another to invade the Commonwealth, or independent systems. There's no more serious threat of invasion while the Commonwealth pulls itself back together; Trillian's strategy of trading worlds for time worked.

Third, an invasion of the Wolf Empire would go well for the Commonwealth. Many worlds are already actively rebelling - some of them the Wolves have had to left go because they can't contest the local uprisings. Everywhere, the garrisons are severely understrength. Many of the more isolated Empire worlds are easy pickings, and the reclamation of Bolan and Dixie opened up an invasion route to the core of the Empire if the Lyrans care to roll the dice on that one.

tl;dr I think that Tamar Rising and Empire Alone combined indicate that 3152 is gonna be the year of the Lyran resurgence.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
Many Wolf Empire worlds don't even have garrisons at this point, just constabulary forces.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Metallgewitter

• Captain
The one thing that struck me a bit odd was

Fontaine Marik send a mercenary unit to Dixie and the Mercenaries used a loophole in their contract to claim the planet for House Steiner instead and a follow up attack by Marik forces was beaten back by the LCAF

And considering that the book ends with

an all out invasion of the Wolf Empire's territory from House Marik

do you think we might see some form of cooperation between Trilian and Nikol?

Like splitting up the bulge that is the Wolf's empire territory especially given the fact that Wolf's Dragoons sacked the capital of Gienah

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
There's already SOME cooperation between them. One of the recent Shrapnel issues mentioned that the LIC and SAFE had an intelligence sharing pact against the Wolves.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
I finallly got Tamar Pact and finished reading it.  So are there any fans of the new microstates?  I know this is the Lyran thread, but is there any sympathies for the new buffer zone?  I admit to having a soft spot for the reborn Tamar Pact, I can understand General Regis's intentions and well...as it's been stated aplenty, the Lyrans weren't doing anything about the quiet Falcon border.  Discovering the truth took some time, sure, but the fact is the Lyrans have been on the receiving end of the Falcon relationship for a good long while.

I've been putting together a character to run a mercenary force, one more disillusioned and bitter Lyran who lost her (wealthy) family in a hoverlimo accident that may or may not be Loki's fault, and decided to take her finances and go mercenary.  She was raised on stories from her great grandfather about fighting the Jade Falcons on their ancestral homeworld of Zoetermeer, and watched as the nation merely tolerated the Clans on the border for decades.  That nothing was done to counterattack Malvina's desant and retake worlds was the final straw, and she went to Galatea with a lance of 'Mechs and flush coffers.  Out of the microstates that were hiring, she went to the new Tamar Pact, seeing them as a legitimate claimant to her old homeworld - and with the chance to kick a pile of Clan *** in the process.

So who else likes the Tamar Pact?  Any love for the other new states, either?
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

CJC070

• Lieutenant
Can’t wait to see what’s next.  Actually I want to see what happens to the Hells Horses after the Red Hunter periphery forces attack. 

Angrii

• Sergeant
So who else likes the Tamar Pact?  Any love for the other new states, either?

I'm a fan of the new Pact. I'm getting a subtle Rasalhague Dominion vibe, only in reverse with Spheroid government/military absorbing a large number of clan lower caste/citizens (along with a smattering of Clan paramilitary and Solahma garrison warriors). That'll be interesting to see shake out socially and economically. I hope they continue to expand and recover more of the historic Pact worlds, though that will put them in contact with angry Ghost Bears... However, I'm less worried at the prospect now that they seem to be experiencing their own civil war. Maybe we'll see some disillusioned RasDom expats join the fold?
Welcome to interesting times

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Well, the Bears are already poking the world of Tomans, and engaged the First Jaegers at the end of the book.  I don't know what's going on in Bear space, but they're active against Tamar.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
I'm a fan of the new Pact. I'm getting a subtle Rasalhague Dominion vibe, only in reverse with Spheroid government/military absorbing a large number of clan lower caste/citizens (along with a smattering of Clan paramilitary and Solahma garrison warriors). That'll be interesting to see shake out socially and economically. I hope they continue to expand and recover more of the historic Pact worlds, though that will put them in contact with angry Ghost Bears... However, I'm less worried at the prospect now that they seem to be experiencing their own civil war. Maybe we'll see some disillusioned RasDom expats join the fold?

Agreed, and remember the Jade Falcons did capture a few sibkos of Ghost Bear troops so hopefully whoever writes their future does just wash away the Ghost Bear influence and make them all hard core Jade Falcons.  However the fact that a warrior even suggested that a freeborn could get a Bloodname shows how much the attitude towards freeborns have shifted.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
So is it possible that other Arcturan Guards RCTs will follow Governor-General Regis's actions and defect to the new Tamar Pact and a free Arcturus?

However, I'm less worried at the prospect now that they seem to be experiencing their own civil war. Maybe we'll see some disillusioned RasDom expats join the fold?

Where'd you find that at?  A Ghost Bear civil war would be...a surprise, considering how much of the Clan is around the idea of family and unity.

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
So is it possible that other Arcturan Guards RCTs will follow Governor-General Regis's actions and defect to the new Tamar Pact and a free Arcturus?

Where'd you find that at?  A Ghost Bear civil war would be...a surprise, considering how much of the Clan is around the idea of family and unity.

It’s in one of the recent novels. There is a lot of tomfoolery going on with the ghost bears/ras Dom because of how poorly it was written and managed in the past. Now that they need to be active there is an extra layer of suspension of disbelief to get them to where they need to be.

I missed the part where the ghost bears hit Tomans
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow

Revealed in the new novel A Question of Survival.  I had the same reaction regarding how out-of-character it was for the Bears and the Rasalhagians.  My spoilered take and more discussion here:

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/clan-chatterweb/the-rasalhague-dominion-making-our-neighbors-move-since-3063/msg1854385/#msg1854385
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."