Author Topic: Who got Crabs?  (Read 2865 times)

Burning Chrome

• Lieutenant
  • One of the Vocal Minority
Who got Crabs?
« on: 08 January 2016, 18:13:17 »
I tried the CRB-27B and modded with 5 MPL, more DHS, AMS, and appropriate modules...and am enjoying the hell out of this thing.

My next was the CRB-20 (I think, the one with dual "fingers" instead of claws) and barely modified it to 2ML, 2LL and more DHS and appropriate modules and am enjoying the hell out of this one as well.

Not sure what to get for my next one yet so I can Master then Elite...fun little tanky mechs.

Anyone else have similar experiences?
"Matchup of the century: desire to play vs. resentment"

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Re: Who got Crabs?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2016, 18:40:39 »
Similar experiences with mine, surprisingly tanky and nice chassis to play overall.

As for suggestions, CRB-27SL has jump jets which is something no other Crabs can claim, pre the recent quirk rejig it was also the go to pulse boat choice too.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2016, 13:43:49 »
The Crab is really an enjoyable Mech. It is uncomplicated as it only uses energy weapons and the quirks tell you what energy weapons best to use. Also tanky and small.

I am doing ok in every Crab, but I also have a soft spot for the -20 with STD engine, 2x LL and 3xML. Using a cooldown module for the LL and a range module for the ML, these two weapon groups sync very well. And should the ST be shot off, you are still in the fight with your ML. The three hardpoints on CT and head make this a true zombie by MWO standards.

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2016, 17:00:51 »
I'm a diehard Cicada fan.  Somehow the little bugs are my best mech, despite being far from the best mechs in the game.

I love Crabs now too.  The playstyles are darned similar, you just gain a bit more durability, firepower, and armor, for a bit less speed.

So far the 27SL I do JJs (one short of maxed), 2 LPL, 3 MPL.  - this is my favorite one to play, I should really consider downgrading to 3 MLs on another LPL, and try to get more DHS to make it do better with heat, I just love Pulses too much due to being almost pinpoint, but still just enough time to correct instead of just missing.  Either way, the speed plus the jumpjets is spectacular.  It's mobile as hell with a nasty alphastrike.

20 - 350 XL, 2 LL, 3 ML.  -  Flat out my best Crab, and one of my best mechs.  121.9 kph with speed tweak, amazing brawling damage, ok range from the LLs, though those could certainly be better.  Good heat curve since it's all standard energy.  Room for Heatsinks in the torso.  Either way, fantastic mech.

I forget the designations of the other two. 

But the one with the ERLL Quirks runs 3 ERLLs.  It's solid.  No two ways about it.  Nice long range firepower.  I need to remember to hold back more.

The final one (Also the "Resistance" one in my case) is the one I never get much of a handle on.  I think it's doing 2 LPL and 3 MLs currently.  but I've done all sorts of random stuff with it, tried two ERPPCs, two normal PPCs.  It's very generic energy quirks though.  so easy to tweak.  Just don't know what I really want to do with it yet.

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2016, 15:41:29 »
I got the Crab pack and love them.

Flieger

• Warrant Officer
    • DoktorWhisky.de
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2016, 22:38:53 »
I have recently 'rediscovered' the Crab, playing some 40 matches last weekend (yeah, I was not out). I don't know what exactly it is, but this Mech is just... nice. It is as if PGI had translated its ease of use into the game. Yes, I could name better medium Mechs, but the combination of survivability and a straightforward weapon set-up works everytime. I don't even run the Crab terribly optimized. In fact, I like to use a "super-stock" CRB-27b: 2x ERLL and 2xML, with ES to get a larger engine. Perhaps not the best build (either MPL or ERLL boating would probably work better), but it gets the job done while retaining the spirit of the original.

I have been thinking why it is so relatively easy to pilot a Crab. I my explanation is that it is a "medium medium" - it is not very large (unlike some other humanoid mediums), people know it does not have very much firepower (unless boating MPL, i.e. close range), it is not very fast. The simple fact that it is just 'good' without being 'the best' makes people underestimate it. Furthermore its ability to tank damage, which is well known, again makes people chose other targets.