Author Topic: 3D Printed AS Board  (Read 6234 times)

jdk201

• Private
3D Printed AS Board
« on: 12 January 2016, 16:08:43 »
Some of you might find this interesting.  I am 3D printing a AS board.  The pieces are modular so they can be rearranged for a unique map every time.  Here are the first few stages.  I have a hotz mat on order to be the playing field.  I'll be doing a bunch of other stuff too like turrets and buildings once the main board is finished.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
Re: 3D Printed AS Board
« Reply #1 on: 12 January 2016, 16:23:19 »
Well made! What resolution printer?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2016, 20:17:02 »
Its an XYZ Di Vinci Pro 1.0.  I print at .3mm layer height.  For this i dont need it to be any better.  Everything is getting painted and\or texture.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2016, 09:57:25 »
That is genuinely fantastic.

Thanks for sharing!
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2016, 11:02:12 »
Thanks, I think so too.  The end product should be pretty cool.  I cant wait to give it a shot. 

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2016, 02:11:05 »
Took 5 weeks to get the hotz mat, but it finally came and tonight we played our first AS game ever.   We had a blast and cant wait to play again.  The board is about 70 complete.  I still have a lot i want to do. I built a custom game table a while back and so for the game board I used the hots matz as an insert that goes over the normal playing felt.

I 3D printed custom hex bases in different colors to help keep track of mechs.  It also has a slot for TMM number or merc logo. 

I also 3D printed large dice and a holder to keep track of initiative. 

I still need to do a ton of detail work, it took me hours and hours to print all the terrain and then paint it.  Next items up are movement and shot trackers, buildings, turrets and more terrain variants.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2016, 08:16:04 »
That is professional. I can't give higher praise than that. This is closest to my terrain vision except that I'd been working with foam cutting.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #7 on: 07 February 2016, 12:34:04 »
Same here, all previous boards were foam cut.   The absolute best features of this setup is its customizability.  We will never play on the same layout twice.  The only drawback is the board is slightly less "realistic" looking.  Being able to calculate exact movement and range too a ton of hassle out of the game. As soon as I stumbled onto 3D printers, i knew exactly what I would do with it!  And thanks for the compliment!
« Last Edit: 07 February 2016, 12:41:57 by jdk201 »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2016, 13:33:24 »
Those color-coded hex bases are genius.  What a great way to keep track of who controls which mech.

Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #9 on: 18 February 2016, 00:22:03 »
Yeah it was the first thing I noticed in AS is that it was hard to keep track of who is who.  I posted them on thingiverse for anyone that wants the model.

IronSphinx

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Robots!!!
    • PlayBattletech
« Reply #10 on: 18 February 2016, 10:36:24 »
That looks incredible! O0 Wish I had one of those in my dining room to replace the dining room table that I never use.  ;)
Charles "IronSphinx" Wilson (CDT #66)
=======================
Want to find a Battletech game in Michigan?
Go to www.playbattletech.org.

GarageBay9

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2016, 23:50:41 »
This looks ASTOUNDINGLY well done!  Cross post this to the terrain subforum!  O0

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #12 on: 24 February 2016, 01:37:01 »
Those color-coded hex bases are genius.  What a great way to keep track of who controls which mech.

Love the gaming table, but the hex bases are the real work of art here, a fantastic idea that also looks elegantly done.

croaker

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 24 February 2016, 19:24:37 »
Would you maybe consider posting the hex bases on Shapeways? They'd probably be popular with the players here.

jdk201

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 14 March 2016, 21:46:39 »
My latest addition.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 14 March 2016, 23:10:06 »
Sexy. Almost like a decent replacement for Heroscape tiles.